UK Internet Provider

Just phoned Sky and cancelled my Broadband with them for free as they weren't providing me the minimum speed they said they could, (they said 1.4Mb and I was actually getting about 1.2Mb, couldn't even stream videos!). Will now look round but think I'll go with Virgin Fibre Optic 30Mb! My Dad lives in the same area and he's with them and gets 30Meg so should be all good.

Login to the admin panel by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser on laptop connected. username is admin password changeme (unless you've changed it)
On the screen that comes up click advanced settings, on the left menu click wireless settings, change upto from 300 to 145 also change channel from auto to a number. I suggest channel 13. Save settings and reboot it.

Keep trying different channels if it doesn't work.

I don't get that bit, are you telling me to change it to 145?

Ok did that, still getting.

1585932960.png

There's loads now and they all seem relatively reliable and certainly offer speeds better than wifi if not quite matching ethernet speeds, they are apparently much more stable connections which is important, I'm losing connection to the EA servers and/or Xbox live quite a lot these days which is annoying :(

A couple of the models I'm currently looking at:

TL-PA211-01.jpg

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-PA211#fea
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/tp-link-av200-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-review/

So the TP-Link PA211KIT is what I went for in the end, a pair of powerline adaptors for about £40, they're rated to 200Mbps but you don't really get that, copying files to my popcorn hour it averages at around 5mb/s which is 40Mbit and is way better than the transfer speeds I was getting with wifi

Next step is to set up my spare router as a bridge so that the two Xboxes and Popcorn Hour share one powerline adaptor.

They can not guarantee 30mb wireless though, I've spoke to them on the phone had people round the house they wont do anything unless I go wired.

How much do you get on speedtest with the ethernet plugged in?

If you get the full 30MB (well mine's more like 28MB) it's your settings on your router that are restricting you. I can help you if it is as I experienced similar problems.

In the day I get about 25MB, at night/early morning (off peak) I get about 28MB.

MJ are you wired?

Oh in that case 15Meg is pretty good for wireless I would've thought, Jay?

Hmm, maybe not, apparently you should get 30Meg wireless too if you are using N technology. Found this on another forum:

"The speed test posted looks more like the result of a G device with less than optimum location, i.e. little bit too far from the access point, not N."

How far away from the super hub are you when you're on your laptop?

Last edited:
ive got 50meg virgin and even with wireless i get a good 45 - 49 meg speed test like. are you usin wireless g or n jay?

Right next to it.

Erm dunno?

They actually sent me a new superhub but I haven't tried it.
If you're not using the new super hub then I seriously doubt you're using N technology as the old hub won't have it, which means you'll get old G speeds. Set up the new Superhub, (it's really easy, I did my Dad's for him), and then try another speed test on your laptop and I bet you'll be sorted :TU:.

Last edited:
Ohhh ok. How old is the laptop you use? Could be that it doesn't support wireless N which would explain the low speed when compared to wired.

Virgin are full of shit really. I'm on the 50mb package and can't get close to that on wireless, using home plugs isn't much better. Best I've ever seen is 40mb at 4am but during weeknights and weekends, it's more like 8-20mb. I've had the superhub changed twice, spent hours on the phone with their support, spent time chatting with their 3rd line, nobody has a clue how to fix the problem.

So as soon as these next 6 months are up, I'll be changing it down to a much slower package.

Actually when the engineer came round he said "both you and I both know the superhub is shit". He old me to use it in modem mode and gaveme a wireless router but I tried that and it was worse.

Actually when the engineer came round he said "both you and I both know the superhub is shit". He old me to use it in modem mode and gaveme a wireless router but I tried that and it was worse.

Looking on forums, the superhub is the main problem. People are using their own router connected to the superhub and that's helping a lo, if not fixing, the speeds. In the end, Virgin credited me with £90 and told me that, even though they don't officially suggest it, I might be better getting a good router to attach to the hub.

I've just stuck with the home plugs though, ive gotten used to being maxed at 20MB downloads anyway.

I've still got the 10mb router, what difference would that make?

Stronger signal being given out I guess. Just looking around forums and there's definately an increase in getting to your maximum speed using a router attached to the Superhub as opposed to just the Hub on its own.

Wired wasn't great either, got 35MB wired.

But wireless is just poo really, getting 8MB, absolute max is 12MB. Tried everything that Virgin 3rd Line suggested and nothing worked, they were completely baffled at the poor speeds. And the wireless can't even be atributed to hardware as it's using Virgin's own wireless dongle.

Back
Top Bottom