UEFA Champions League '06 - '07 Final: Liverpool - AC Milan

Re: UEFA Champions League 2006-2007 - [Group Stage - Round 1]

Thought we'd get pumped but it turned out we shot ourselves in the foot, and Man Utd didn't look particularly great at all IMO. Ironic after all the talk about our defense being weak it was our most high-profile signing that screwed up, arguably twice, Tommy Gravesen. Man Utd's penalty, I was nearly laughing it was so ridiculous, but any element of surprise was erased by this referee in Seville 3 years ago, what a fucking cunt that guy is. :roll:

We did ok, and after seeing the highlights of the other game I think we've got a very decent chance of progression.

ClassicD said:
...any element of surprise was erased by this referee in Seville 3 years ago, what a fucking cunt that guy is. :roll:

It's over. Move on. :mryellow:

I'd have to say Man Utd were shaky in defence in the first half. Boruc saved Celtic from a hiding in the second though. Man Utd could have had a lot more. Still, Celtic done a lot better than I predicted.

ClassicD said:
Thought we'd get pumped but it turned out we shot ourselves in the foot, and Man Utd didn't look particularly great at all IMO. Ironic after all the talk about our defense being weak it was our most high-profile signing that screwed up, arguably twice, Tommy Gravesen. Man Utd's penalty, I was nearly laughing it was so ridiculous, but any element of surprise was erased by this referee in Seville 3 years ago, what a fucking cunt that guy is. :roll:

We did ok, and after seeing the highlights of the other game I think we've got a very decent chance of progression.

As Foxtrot says move on. You were never the better team in Seville and nor tonight. Although tonight you may have been lucky as Man U were not that good tbh.

Last edited:

lol, ok, we're 1-0 up and the ref gives a penalty which clearly shouldn't have been awarded. Excuse me for bringing up the fact he's screwed us before, seemed pretty relevant to me. We'll just ignore the fact it was a blatant dive. Yes Boruc made a number of great saves, and yes Man Utd had a lot of possession and chances - they're the top seed in the group and are at home, what is it you expected? Also thought goalkeepers were meant to stop the ball going in...

I'm not saying we were robbed or anything, just that if we'd cut out the individual errors it could have been a very different story, we could have come away with something.

ClassicD said:
lol, ok, we're 1-0 up and the ref gives a penalty which clearly shouldn't have been awarded. Excuse me for bringing up the fact he's screwed us before, seemed pretty relevant to me. We'll just ignore the fact it was a blatant dive. Yes Boruc made a number of great saves, and yes Man Utd had a lot of possession and chances - they're the top seed in the group and are at home, what is it you expected? Also thought goalkeepers were meant to stop the ball going in...

I'm not saying we were robbed or anything, just that if we'd cut out the individual errors it could have been a very different story, we could have come away with something.

Boruc touched him and is an idiot for doing so. Giggs was going nowhere and knew exactly what to do to win a penalty.

If the referee hates Celtic so much why didn't he give the stonewaller when Saha was sandwiched in the 2nd half?

Yes, goalkeepers are meant to stop the ball going in. They're the last line of defence. Where was Caldwell or McManus?

Celtic were poor tonight (where was McGeady!?) and, as Cloud said, were lucky that Man Utd were not much better. Rooney had a real off night. Rio had a shocker. Carrick was also poor.

ClassicD said:
Man Utd's penalty, I was nearly laughing it was so ridiculous, but any element of surprise was erased by this referee in Seville 3 years ago, what a fucking cunt that guy is. :roll:

I also remembered you in this dive mate.
Although sorry for I like Celtic I cannot avoid the sour taste of irony seeing a UK player take a SCANDALOUS dive like that, after all the exaggerated criticism Portugal and its clubs have had ever since the UEFA run from Porto.

I'm pretty sure most will agree that what Giggs did is top diving quality stuff above everything FC Porto did against Celtic or Man Utd, and surely reaches the excelence of execution of a Ronaldo.

This moment and the other ridiculous video in youtube of Rooney taking one of those "cristiano" dives while looking the the referee says much in simbolism against the ridicule of labeling latin clubs as divers vs the "clean and honest" UK teams.

PS - best of luck in the remaining CL, you have a nice team.

SPiTFiRE said:
This Benfica is simply a SHAME, Benfica players SIMPLY ASHAME THE CLUB AND HIS HISTORY.

Fernando Santos: GO HOME!

You are right about Santos but remember this:

1 - Santos didn't sign himself. He was signed. It was about time benfica fans started thinking on who and why makes the decisions of signing this or that player and/or manager. For example: why benfica never tried to sign Camacho back, a coach that won nothing there (and pretty much anywhere) but that was the only one making benfica play decent soccer in the past 10 years? The awnser is simple, you know why.

2 - Santos didn't sign the players, and benfica shows some lack of options. Kikin Fonseca might be good, but one cannot sign a player just because he headed a goal against our national team in a dumb corner. Benfica needs to make RESEARCH before going to the market.

Conclusion: Santos is crap, but he isn't the last responsible.

eheh do you wan't him at milan at this point? :)

Only in Italy can a manager become a true great by defending the philosophy of 11 men behind the ball line, hoping for a lucky goal, a dead ball or a ref decision. That's Trap of the last 10 years.

foxtrot said:
Boruc touched him and is an idiot for doing so. Giggs was going nowhere and knew exactly what to do to win a penalty.

If the referee hates Celtic so much why didn't he give the stonewaller when Saha was sandwiched in the 2nd half?

Yes, goalkeepers are meant to stop the ball going in. They're the last line of defence. Where was Caldwell or McManus?

Celtic were poor tonight (where was McGeady!?) and, as Cloud said, were lucky that Man Utd were not much better. Rooney had a real off night. Rio had a shocker. Carrick was also poor.
Boruc came out and was beaten to the ball by Giggs' pace. From the side camera you can see as soon as Giggs pokes it past him, Boruc pulls out of the challenge. Can't believe you've still not been able to say what everyone knows, that Giggs dived and it was not a penalty - regardless of whether Boruc should have stayed in his goal or not. As for Saha being sandwiched, yes he was, unfortunately he'd handballed it by that time. :roll:

Poor how? It's all relative - we're playing a team that has infinitely more resources and experience at this level than we do, at their own ground.; We did absolutely fine, we were not outclassed by any means, and with a bit more luck we could have taken a point.

P.S. Having a good goalkeeper isn't luck. :roll:

Can't believe any of the 3 penalties given tonight. As I've always said about this competition it's rigged, 3 no penalties and who all get's them, Man U, Arsenal and Milan.

Was disappointed in Man Utd with their attitude, not giving Celtic the ball back after one of our players got clearly hit and a few diving incidents, not a lot, but Rooney, Van der Sar and Giggs did contribute.

However the best team won, although old Lubos helped them on their way.

Where's Ninja, is he still banned? I loved him talking about how the Italians are full of diving cheats. As for that maniac Arsenal fan saying Hamburg got their arses handed to them, the goalie got sent off god knows how early, so with a man down I should bloody hope so. Disgraceful decision, end of.

FD

Last edited:

i feel sorry for HSV, the penalty was very dubious... but even if it was a penalty, the red card was stupid as hell. van persie dived cause he couldn't possibly get to that ball, regardless of the keepers action.

ClassicD said:
Boruc came out and was beaten to the ball by Giggs' pace. From the side camera you can see as soon as Giggs pokes it past him, Boruc pulls out of the challenge. Can't believe you've still not been able to say what everyone knows, that Giggs dived and it was not a penalty - regardless of whether Boruc should have stayed in his goal or not. As for Saha being sandwiched, yes he was, unfortunately he'd handballed it by that time. :roll:

Poor how? It's all relative - we're playing a team that has infinitely more resources and experience at this level than we do, at their own ground.; We did absolutely fine, we were not outclassed by any means, and with a bit more luck we could have taken a point.

P.S. Having a good goalkeeper isn't luck. :roll:

I'm well aware that Giggs dived. What I said was that he knew exactly what he was doing. He knew any contact from Boruc and he could go down. Boruc is still stupid for going for the ball as Giggs was going nowhere.

Still, with the Saha penalty claim, if the referee is so anti-Celtic and every element of surprise is erased, why didn't he give it?

So you think that was a good Celtic performance? Gravesen, the saviour in midfield, was atrocious. His touch and passing were awful all night. McGeady was AWOL. Jarosik, as you've also said, looked depressed. Paul Telfer - nuff said. :roll:

haven't seen it , I watched celtic vs manchester united . the second goal of man utd could have been avoided it was really a stupid pk to give by boruc .
unfortunately I slept during the second half , the game started at 4 am here in japan and I drunk too much beer .
but from what I have seen I congratulate celtic fans for their team's performance and all the scotish fans for their very nice spirit .
I was drinking with them in roppongi and I really enjoyed the chat . the scottish people are the most respectfull and respect desearving people I have ever met . cheers guys :cheers:

Man Lyon were Awesome! They totally overran Real and should have scored 4-5 goals. I hope they can do it aswell in the knockout stages and reach the final this year, they definately deserve it.

VoH was very good for Celtic, nice to see :) It was a blatant dive by Giggs tho, cant believe the ref bought into that, the keeper held back as much as he could and barely touched him. Gravesen gave a couple of stupid balls away wich led to the ManU goals, but he had to do most of the work in midfield himself as Lennon was very useless.

Oh and the goals by Dica from Steaua were sweeeeeet! :D

foxtrot said:
I'm well aware that Giggs dived. What I said was that he knew exactly what he was doing. He knew any contact from Boruc and he could go down. Boruc is still stupid for going for the ball as Giggs was going nowhere.

Still, with the Saha penalty claim, if the referee is so anti-Celtic and every element of surprise is erased, why didn't he give it?

So you think that was a good Celtic performance? Gravesen, the saviour in midfield, was atrocious. His touch and passing were awful all night. McGeady was AWOL. Jarosik, as you've also said, looked depressed. Paul Telfer - nuff said. :roll:
Boruc does not touch Giggs - watch Giggs' momentum, at no point is he dunted, shunted or cunted, he just runs past Boruc and loses all power in his legs. The bottom line is it was not a penalty, wether Boruc should have stayed on his line or not is another discussion entirely (and one I think the 'experts' are full of shit on - the only reason Giggs ended up running "nowhere" is because Boruc put pressure on him, had he stayed in goal Giggs' first touch would have been to stop the ball, from which he'd then be on the byline about 8 yards away from our goal!).

I don't think the referee is anti-Celtic, I think he's just a shite referee. I mention Seville because his idiocy has cost us dear in the past. Silvestre made a great challenge on Wilson in the first half and was booked, similarly the booking Kenny Miller got at the end on van der Sar was a complete joke.

Performance, well you can always play better, but considering how easily Man Utd were expected to win I thought we did ok - as Strachan said our passing was poor at times. Gravesen was way off the pace yep, his confidence was fluffed after his mistake for Man Utd's second goal. It's only his second game, but write him off already all you want.

P.S. haven't seen much of last night's other games, but Lille's goal was beautiful football.

Big Boss said:
Oh and the goals by Dica from Steaua were sweeeeeet! :D

yes dica is the best player !!!! real will have bad life at bucharest... i think we will beat real madrid but with lyon is very hard becoz they are the best team...i think!i hope steaua and lyon will go trouh the next stage ;)

Just seen the van Persie incident. Don't think you can blame the referee at all, in real-time it looks an absolute clear penalty, but you can see in the replay van Persie isn't even touched, and definitely dived. He must have been practising that, looked very convincing. :roll:

Prime example of a situation UEFA should be looking at afterwards using video evidence, he should be hammered for that.

One one hand I dont think it was penalty but the GK was daft and IMO gave the ref no choice as it looked like he was trying to check Giggsys run, of course getting a pen so soon after we conceeded was lucky but as good as celtic looked (going forward) it always looked like we we're capable of out scoring them...

ClassicD said:
Just seen the van Persie incident. Don't think you can blame the referee at all, in real-time it looks an absolute clear penalty, but you can see in the replay van Persie isn't even touched, and definitely dived. He must have been practising that, looked very convincing. :roll:

Prime example of a situation UEFA should be looking at afterwards using video evidence, he should be hammered for that.

yeah that was a bad dive, especially as it got the keeper sent off...

are you putting giggs in the same bracket??

Well, at first I thought he'd dived, but not quite sure now after the hamstring thing. Could have been that he just done his hamstring at the moment he stretched to poke the ball away, but I'll never be absolutely sure he also didn't think "wee chance of a PK here, down I go...".

ClassicD said:
Well, at first I thought he'd dived, but not quite sure now after the hamstring thing. Could have been that he just done his hamstring at the moment he stretched to poke the ball away, but I'll never be absolutely sure he also didn't think "wee chance of a PK here, down I go...".

lol im sure it crossed his mind....

its ashame cos that tainted the game, other than that it was quality...

Andrei2000 said:
incredible...i can`t belive!!!!!!!!!! 4-1 for STEAUA BUCHAREST agains dinamo kyev i can`t belive!!!!!!!!is impossible !!!!!incredible nicolae badea sorin ghionea and 2x nicolae dica !!!!incredible gols by nicolae dica incredible!!!!!real madrid will be beated in bucharest!!!!is incredible!!!!!!!
Congratulations my friend, what a goal from Dica, and great celebration too!! :mrgreen: :applause:

Milanista said:
My LORD! Gourcuff is incredible! The best signing of Milan this summer. His first official game and he makes 1 assist and scores... I was at San Siro and hes already got his own chant. This kid is 20 and his debut is just like Kaka's... infact they play similarly. Great win, easy for us today... Gourcuff will be big.
Yes, he will!! :D \\:o/

And thanks Lyon, they gave a splendid performance for me to enjoy on my birthday. \\:o/ \\:o/

p.s. - Just found out that I share the same birthday with Cannavaro, shame about his performance though..

ThomasGOAL said:
Unlucky Lille with 3 post !

Thomas, you clearly did not see the match. The match should have been sealed an over after the first half.
Sometimes i get a litle bit sick about your chauvinism.
Yes Lille was the better team in the second half, and yes they could have won it, but so could Anderlecht....last year and the year before Anderlecht were the weakest team in the CL, but yesterday they were great. As a matter of fact it was a great match.

Somebody who actually likes Lille more than Anderlecht (Anderlect is to my favourite team what PSG is to your OM Thomas).

PS: beautiful Fauvergue goal, but i'm not sure he wasn't off-side...

Dammit, poor finishing from Porto against CSKA costed us the game. :(

Bah, I just hope we can win there like last time(?).

I'm really anxious to see the Porto and Arsenal, I think it can a great game because it will probably be a more open game.

Mauras said:
You are right about Santos but remember this:

1 - Santos didn't sign himself. He was signed. It was about time benfica fans started thinking on who and why makes the decisions of signing this or that player and/or manager. For example: why benfica never tried to sign Camacho back, a coach that won nothing there (and pretty much anywhere) but that was the only one making benfica play decent soccer in the past 10 years? The awnser is simple, you know why.

2 - Santos didn't sign the players, and benfica shows some lack of options. Kikin Fonseca might be good, but one cannot sign a player just because he headed a goal against our national team in a dumb corner. Benfica needs to make RESEARCH before going to the market.

Conclusion: Santos is crap, but he isn't the last responsible.

How I miss that Golden days with José António Camacho, always great football show and great joy to watch in a stadium. With Camacho we had for 2 times the best attack of the league and always beautiful goals, he's just a legend who passed away.

Stan said:
Thomas, you clearly did not see the match. The match should have been sealed an over after the first half.
Sometimes i get a litle bit sick about your chauvinism.
Yes Lille was the better team in the second half, and yes they could have won it, but so could Anderlecht....last year and the year before Anderlecht were the weakest team in the CL, but yesterday they were great. As a matter of fact it was a great match.

Somebody who actually likes Lille more than Anderlecht (Anderlect is to my favourite team what PSG is to your OM Thomas).

PS: beautiful Fauvergue goal, but i'm not sure he wasn't off-side...

WTF ????? :shock:
I just says "Unlucky Lille with 3 post !"
calme down Stan

Mauras said:
For example: why benfica never tried to sign Camacho back, a coach that won nothing there (and pretty much anywhere) but that was the only one making benfica play decent soccer in the past 10 years? The awnser is simple, you know why.

Erm... He won the Portuguese cup, against a certain bloke called Mourinho... ;)

Back
Top Bottom