UEFA Champions League '06 - '07 Final: Liverpool - AC Milan

Re: UEFA Champions League 2006-2007

PLF said:
And yep I agree Porto's defence and overall organization under Mourinho at that time was stronger than current Werder when they won CL but their attack wasn't as strong on the other hand.
When we won our main weapon in the CL was named DECO and a very effective high pressure on the opponents defence and midfield.

Re: UEFA Champions League 2006-2007 - [Group Stage Draw]

what a group has steaua bucharest !!! real lyon steaua dinamo kyev...any chances too obtain 3rd place?:D

Easy group for Benfica! :lol:

It's in the bag!

Celtic shouldn't be second seeds really, though it's good they weren't third again...

This group is a lot better than Barcelona and AC Milan from a couple of years back. :)

Still think it will be 3rd or 4th spot for Celtic though. :(

SPiTFiRE said:
Easy group for Benfica! :lol:

It's in the bag!

:lol:

.....if the recent games are any indicator ... manure...looks strong this year..i doubt it, it would be easy for u guys..

but good luck! ;)

Go AEK Athens we can do it!
After Milan we can make it 2nd place!
Anderlecht and Lille are not giants.Go AEK
Konami put us back in the game?
Any new team in pes6?

Steaua Bucharest can beat real madrid in bucharest!!!we have beated valencia 2-0 why not real???WE ARE THE BEST!!!KONAMI PUT US IN THE GAME ;)

chelsea_fan said:
:lol:

.....if the recent games are any indicator ... manure...looks strong this year..i doubt it, it would be easy for u guys..

but good luck! ;)

Well that's true but we're getting better and better. We don't have Geovanni (shit :() but we will play with promissing players such Manú and Paulo Jorge.

PLF said:
Carefull there's a lot of Celtic fans around. ;)

But yes I fully agree. Lille and Celtic should be in pot 3 compared to Werder but whatever... Lyon and Chelsea shouldn't be in pot 2 either but whatever... none of this really matters when matches start. :)

And yep I agree Porto's defence and overall organization under Mourinho at that time was stronger than current Werder when they won CL but their attack wasn't as strong on the other hand.
The pots are decided by each club's European performance over the previous five seasons. It's the same for every club, so Celtic have earned their place in that pot - Werder haven't. I agree Werder have a stronger team this year, but it's completely fair that they are ranked below Celtic given they are both judged by the same criteria.

My reaction to the draw is it could have been a lot worse for us. I think we have a slim chance of qualifying, if Kopenhagen beat Ajax then any of this group could make it to the last 16.

Should be a great atmosphere regardless. ;)

ClassicD said:
My reaction to the draw is it could have been a lot worse for us. I think we have a slim chance of qualifying, if Kopenhagen beat Ajax then any of this group could make it to the last 16.

benfica fans here are stupidly regarding it has an easy group :).
They are taking last season appauling man utd for this one, and celtic as an easy prey and for kopenhagen... they don't even count them.

Celtic has one advantage: the psicological superiority of the main kit. Benfica can't simply face green and white stripes in the past 2 years, not even in friendlies, it's always total mayhem ;)

Will be a fun group to watch.

PS - saying this because about the group for Sporting CP well.. unless we have some hidden Van Basten we are screwed :)

In Liga is totally impossible beat Sporting, since the colour of the whistle of the referees in Portugal is Blue and Green.

Noone should count Celtic out.

Fair enough away from home in the CL we have been weak away from home.

Celtic Park however is a fortress

We went 51 games unbeaten at , home during those games we played Juventus, Porto, Valencia, Liverpool, Blackburn, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Anderlecht

Teams do not get an easy game at Parkhead especially in the CL with 60,000 people screaming like the mad Scots we are.

Away from home in Europe we're poor, apart from that Uefa Cup run we had, but we've never got a point away from home in the CL

gib2504 said:
Noone should count Celtic out.

Fair enough away from home in the CL we have been weak away from home.

Celtic Park however is a fortress

We went 51 games unbeaten at , home during those games we played Juventus, Porto, Valencia, Liverpool, Blackburn, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart, Bayern Munich, Lyon, Anderlecht

Teams do not get an easy game at Parkhead especially in the CL with 60,000 people screaming like the mad Scots we are.

Away from home in Europe we're poor, apart from that Uefa Cup run we had, but we've never got a point away from home in the CL

You did have a perfect home record until a few seasons ago when you only took 5 points at home. clearly a harder group than no but you did have a better team then. I still don't know if this will be the year you pick up a win away. Copenhagen will be the obvious place for you to go and try and get it but I'm sure they wont finish the group pointless.

You have the striker you were looking for and a left back. IMO Lee Naylor will be as effective for you as any other Championship player Strachan has got you. One thing that you have got to remember is you are not the O'Neil team you used to be. The simple games that he never lost points in Strachan has the ability to lose them.

Obviously I have tinted glasses but am trying to ignore them for this post at least. :p I think you should get to the Uefa cup no problem, I see Man U getting at least 11-12 points from this group. I also see Benfica getting at least 9/10 points which you will need to go through. I remember the pre season friendly between you and Man United at Parkhead when basically an under 23 team gave you a hard time at Parkhead. Yea I know it wasn't quite your strongest team(though not far off it) but it wasn't Man Utd's either. They will be one of the strongest teams in the comp this year IMO. Two games and they look really good at going forward and they are short at least a player or two.

Benfica is where it is at for you, you need to beat them at home and take a point away to go through. As I said this should be the year that you take something away from home, but how many? I don't think you will get a sniff at Old Trafford, at the Estádio da Luz it will be tough(look at Liverpool and Man United last year even Barca only got a draw) and Copenhagan will be an unknown quantity. This is where you should get the point or may be three but It will be your only ones I think away form home. Back to you home form, a win against Copenhagen would be expected no doubt about that and you probably would be favourites against Benfica but I wouldn't rule out the draw in that games, against United however the best I think you will get is a point. So you could be onto 4-7 points from you home form.

Its all theoretical at this point, you could get 10 points but you could easily get 5 points. Time shall tell and it wont be too long till you get away to a start. The first game is a game your not expected to win so that is some kind of advantage you will have and Benfica are away to Copenhagen so you can maybe gauge how good or poor the two sides are away and at home. The fortress at home you speak of, well that was O'Neils fortress not Strachans, and last time you were in the CL as I said you only got 5 from 9.

Last edited:

My two cents on Anderlecht's group.
Obviously Milan are out of reach.
But LOSC, AEK and Anderlecht are very close to each other.
Our papers think Anderlecht should be second easily. That's a mistake: i don't know AEK but Lille is a very good team.
On the other hand, i don't think Anderlecht still is Europe's laughing stock this season. They are much stronger than last year even without Kompany...Defensively they aren't that strong but they have a good midfield and attack with Biglia, Frutos, Tchité and Boussoufa who could turn out to bea revelation. IMHo is much better than Wilhelmsson. He has outstanding technical abilities but is more of a team player...last year he was the Jupiler League's top asssister in a team without a single decent striker (AA Gent).
I'm looking forward to Anderlecht's matches against Lille which is one of my favourite teams...it's also some sort of derby because Lille is less than 100km's away from Brussels (although Lille will play thier CL matches in Lens).

PS: i also look forward to Celtic's matches against United, i hope they beat them

fd1972uk said:
Well I guess we all know that you need to be really thick to work at the sun, but I guess when it's down south then you must need a Degree in Stupidity to get a job there.

Spot the mistake.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005050000-2003410054,00.html

I'll give you a hint look at the top right hand corner and look at the teams. :roll:

FD

Is that the Panathanaikos badge for Celtic? :shock:

What the fuck? :lol:

I think Celtic fans will be pissed off!

Celtic will have some fans here in Portugal. That's why they are known as the Lisbon Lions: some fans from a certain club unexplainably fancy celtic and its colours ;)

Re-arranged said:
:thumbup: It would be nice if i can go to Moscow to see Arsenal game.
I`ll love to check out the Kremlin

Last edited:

steaua has very much fans in spain !!! santiago bernabeu will be red-blue at the match real - steaua... wath a match 2 years ago i wasn`t beliving to see such a match !i love to be romanian !!!

Mahmmadou Diarra to play against Lyon. He said it would be heart-breaking to play against them.

Gudjohnsen to play against Chelsea as well.

Interesting.

I think FC København will shock everyone. Nordic teams are very good. FC København its a bigger team in Sacndinavia nowm Rosenborg are not.

As Liverpool supporter i want FC København to beat Manchester 'Scums' United.

fd1972uk said:
Who's he then?

Yep Ice, good spot. :roll: ](*,)

FD

It's a farce my man! Shocking! We nearly had 3 Greek teams in the Champions League according The Sun (Shite).

The Shite is almost as bad as the Daily Shitter, i mean Mirror. Martin Liption is an arsehole from hell. He copy and pastes all his news from blogs and websites over the net. Chief football writer my arse.

Carez As Liverpool supporter i want FC København to beat Manchester 'Scums' United.[/QUOTE said:
Let's hope that the real English 'Scums' don't get us banned from Europe again.

lool. im laughing... I hope ManUtd finish at 4th again! Then im gonna laugh louder...

I really doubt they will....i reckon they'll get to the QF this time round. They have a good but fustrating team. esp ronaldo and to an extent rooney and ferdinand. I have a feeling Real and Milan will struggle in this years competition. Real looked really poor against villareal and if gonzales and pires werent injured im sure the yellow submarines would have beaten them convinvingly. As for Milan, I think they have lost too much quality last summer! stam, sheva, rui costa! :o

I disagree that we lost too much quality. Rui Costa rarely played, maybe max 10 games last year. Stam we lost to injury for over half season, and had Kaladze who's the real star of Milan's defence. He's extremely underrated but was our best center back last year.

Sheva is the only loss... but Pippo is on fire. Apart from that our team has the same chemistry as the last 5 years.

Andrei2000 said:
steaua has very much fans in spain !!! santiago bernabeu will be red-blue at the match real - steaua... wath a match 2 years ago i wasn`t beliving to see such a match !i love to be romanian !!!

Don't get your hopes up.
Capello will try to get a point/draw out of the away game(classic capello style, haha), but in the bernabeu steaua will have to accept defeat.

I have a feeling Real and Milan will struggle in this years competition. Real looked really poor against villareal and if gonzales and pires werent injured im sure the yellow submarines would have beaten them convinvingly. As for Milan, I think they have lost too much quality last summer! stam, sheva, rui costa!

Both teams have enough quality to be under the best this year.Every year milan is supposed to struggle, but the team works great.
Ask any FC Bayern fan. ;)

Back
Top Bottom