Top Spin 4

Re: Top Spin 3 (PS3/360/Wii/DS)

Sweet downloading now :))

Edit:

Hmm loving new animation

But my god it feels so sluggish this is definitely one which takes time to master but i get feeling they tried to over complicate things.

Won 1 point in 3 games it was that bad :LOL: i was hitting ball back fine mostly but aiming up shots i couldnt get power right and neither accuracy where i wanted it at times.

Last edited:

Downloading the demo. I've always been a fan of tennis games, especially Virtua Tennis, so I hope that this is a good game to buy.

busy with what? it will take a while for people to build up there char in this game

Bought this from ShopTo yesterday, couldn't resist for less than £30. Arrived this morning - I absolutely love it. It reminds me of the old PES games, you have to master it. God I wish the PES and FIFA team were as dedicated to simulation as this dev team are.

Annoyed I got the 360 version though with Nadal being missing, and beating Murray yesterday...

Bought this game from ShopTo about a week and a half ago, couldnt resist for £27.99 hasn't still arrived till this very day, NOT IMPRESSED, and very pissed!.. Thinking of doing the lost parcel claim thing, b'cus my paitience is wearing very thin,(VERY)...

The demo of this game is awesome, I can't stop playing it, the difficulty is low but I am just trying to hit nice risk shots and practicing serve & volley.

I have pretty much gotten used to the normal groundstrokes but timing needs to be very precise on risk shots and drop shots!

Nice game but i think Virtua Tennis 3 better than Top Spin 3 [PS3]
:SAL: Right you are. Me and CW played Virtua Tennis 3 yesterday online doubles, against another person and his guest, and had an absolute epic match! We won 4 games to 2, the match took about 45 minutes! That's how a tennis game should be, it was easy to pick up and play and get into, and hit great shots and drop shots and smashes, and powerful serves etc. Just confirmed to me more that for me, getting rid of Top Spin 3 was the right decision.

Why should Tennis games be easy to pick up and play?

Would you like Fifa or PES to be pick up and play?

I certainly wouldn't

Not just that, Top Spin is way too complicated imo as I have already mentioned.

You can see what the makers have tried to do with the new TopSpin but for me they have fucked it up and made it overly complex. When your opponent hits a hard shot at you you have no time to power up a return and your player just stands there looking like a cunt.

Virtua Tennis is exactly how a tennis game should be, easy to pick up and play.

For Coopz to compare a footy game and a tennis game is kind of like comparing a driving game to an FPS

If you take a disliking to a game when you first put it on then your not gonna even try to get into it so it will be complicated

as i asked before Why should Tennis games be pick up and play?

and im comparing sports games CW, all sports games should try to be realistic

which Fifa and TS3 are

edit: your timing must be shit if you cant hit shots back :))

Coopz, we played it for an hour and weren't getting any better. We were pressing the buttons and the player was just standing on the screen like a cunt doing nothing.

This is exactly why lots of different types of games are made - no two people are alike and like everything each other does :)).

An hour? That's nothing, IMO TS3 needs at least 4 hours to get the basics down and then the quality really starts to shine through.

Got the demo of this last night, to be honest i got to grips without really quickly with my first few games, reminds of FIFA and imo they need to improve the same things, the response's need improving and the ball is way to floaty and slow. other than that a top game will probably pick it up in a month or something.

if u wanna play games that are pick and go kind of sports games. mario kart/GRID for racing and mario tennis for well umm tennis. it doesnt take 1 hour to get use to the controls of say PES and fifa.

btw where did you get the demo from? it wasnt on psn store the other night

After playing this for quite a long time yesterday and today, my opinion is that this game is brilliant :).

I have gotten used to the controls quite well now, the first thing I did was do the Top Spin School, I passed all of those quite easily, gettting "good" or "excellent" timing most times.
tournamentsones on easy.

This game is great online, and a lot of people don't always use Federer or Roddick like people use United or Barca on FIFA which is nice, not as many twats seem to play tennis games (Top Spin anyway) and most people play good tennis but you get the odd person doing extreme wide serves all the time.
I usually use Ancic or Philippoussis, I like serve & volleying but I seem to be the only person online who does... :-pp I got the achievement for 100 aces in the first day of playing it! I thought they were too difficult in the demo but I usually get about 5 each match (1 set, 3 games) online.

I don't get why people are saying it's overcomplicated, I managed to pick up and play the game within an hour and then as my timing gradually improved I managed to do more risk shots and perform more effective volleys. I have never seen the player just stand there like a cunt when I press the button to hit the ball.

The control scheme is the best way of controlling a tennis game that I have played, great game. Only one annoyance so far, when the ball hits the net, it seems to hit it in the same place all the time, just below the net cord which is quite repetitive after a while and I have never seen the ball hit the net and go over. Only a minor thing really though.

About Virtua Tennis, that game really is shit. Players diving every rally (hardly see it once in a match in real life), no skill involved (hold button down until ball is hit, no timing needed), lack of shot types (flat, slice and lob. slice is basically useless apart from serve return), AI cheats, bad world tour mode (same players over and over, they are just shite at the beginning and invincible at the end) and more...

The gameplay is almost the same as the original, which is still used as an arcade game all over the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm with you Rob, I love it.

I've got a terrible memory though so I'm finding it difficult, trying to get shots right into the corner is a waste of time for me - the shot is always close enough to the opponent for them to hit it back easily, I can't get it close to the lines (without using the triggers, and I'm not going to use those because unless you're millisecond perfect you hit the ball out). But I'm going to go through the school again later to see if I can improve.

you guys stop trying to persuade me to get this game lol post bad comment not good ones! :P

I'm with you Rob, I love it.

I've got a terrible memory though so I'm finding it difficult, trying to get shots right into the corner is a waste of time for me - the shot is always close enough to the opponent for them to hit it back easily, I can't get it close to the lines (without using the triggers, and I'm not going to use those because unless you're millisecond perfect you hit the ball out). But I'm going to go through the school again later to see if I can improve.

As you get better, and start to position player and time better, you can use top spin shots devastatingly to hit lines/angles...

Hope that doesn't sound patronising - but at first i had same problem...

Sometimes the obvious shot isn't always the best, don't always play it into the open side of the court - As gurjisfit said, a cross-court top spin shot is one of the best ones to use, even if the opponent is on that side too as it pulls them out wide because of the angle on the shot which then opens the court up for you to for a flat shot to finish. Doing the accuracy risk shot on a cross court top spin shot can result in some awesome shots too.

I'm finding that the more I play the game the more risk shots I am pulling off successfully, I am using quite a few on serve returns and to take control of a rally when I am on the defensive.

A risky but effective tactic is volleying, hold RB while you hold the shot buttons/serve (short slice is most effective because it is low, accurate and hard to attack), your player will charge to the net after hitting the shot quickly enough that the opponent cannot anticipate it and lob you which may give you a chance to put a volley away using B.

I just played a 3 set exhibition on normal difficulty, Roddick (me) v Federer - I won 6-1 7-5 and hit 13 aces! :)) I got an achievement for that too. I hit a 145mph serve in that game, my fastest yet. I know a serve that if you get it right then it is unreturnable, but it is hard to get right consistently, can only be done from one side of the court and I suppose it is realistic because some serves in real life are unreturnable so I will continue to use it.
Na the best tennis game was Pete Sampras tennis on the Megadrive :TU:
I just had a look through the thread from the start, and I agree with this, that game was really fun :)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom