Top Spin 4

Re: Top Spin 3 (PS3/360/Wii/DS)

I am finding that most players online are shit or use silly tactics and that the AI seems quite predictable so far.

For online matches I use Mario Ancic, most people use Federer or Roddick, and are absolutely rubbish at the game - randomly missing the ball, bad shot selection, bad timing, bad positioning/repositioning, bad use of risk shots etc and it is just too easy to win.

Another type of player are the ones that have a created player with 100 power, 90+ forehand and backhand, 80+ speed, decent serve and rubbish other stats, and just play a predictable, yet almost unstoppable game from the baseline. Very boring to play against.

There are also the ones that use the extreme wide serve - I don't mind a wide serve at all, it's fair enough as the server should have an advantage, but walking all the way over to the sideline, and slice/kick serving it to the opposite sideline, meaning you are almost in the stands when returning, either meaning they get an ace, you hit it out or give them an easy shot to put away. Really unfair and boring and the only way to counter it is a risk shot down the line, which is not a very reliable shot to return serve with.

Then there's the nerds who have mastered the risk shot and use it every game, these people usually use Nalbandian as he is the best groundstroker in the game, these are not too hard to beat if you approach the net at the right moment.

I have not yet gone on the ranked online world tour mode - Most of the time ranked matches = cheat fests, as I have heard is the case from the 2K forums, so I will most likely give that a miss.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really good game, best tennis game available, but there's still so much that could be better:
2v2 online doubles - As it stands the only way to play doubles is to have 2 people on the same console, and on Xbox Live, both controllers need to have an Xbox Live Gold member signed into them - what bullshit, how many people are going to be playing that?
Better career mode - Proper qualifiers, training, more areas to assign attributes to and more.
MORE PLAYERS - There simply isn't enough of them, no tennis game does - How would you like to buy a football game and find that players like Torres, Rooney and Fabregas were missing because EA couldn't get their license? Only 5 of the current top 20 in the ATP Rankings are in the 360 version of TS3.
Sack the people who give the players their ratings - Federer has a really poor serve and fairly poor backhand, Murray is almost as fast as Monfils and has a really poor serve (one of the strengths of his game nowadays) etc.
Add more individuality to players - Federer seems to be the only player with all of his own animations, others seem to just have generic ones (Roddick's and Nadal's serve animations are there too).
Increase responsiveness.
Make player ratings mean more, I shouldn't be able to smash Federer off the court from the baseline with Murray on "Very Hard".
Make it easier to hit a winner - online and offline I have had almost endless rallies where it seems the only way to win the point is to risk going to the net or hitting a risk shot, mostly happens offline.
Improve the atmosphere, the crowd is pretty lifeless at the moment.

P.S. - Does anybody know how to create a fairly realistic Nadal for 360? Also, I wonder if/when we will get DLC for the game, there is an option when you load a player for "Downloaded player", I wonder whether Nadal's contract with Sony will expire so we can get him on TS3...

Last edited by a moderator:

great game this, hard, but great.

My only annoyance is when the ball constantly hits the net and NEVER goes over(reminds me of the repetitive mistakes in the older fifa games).

Still worth 30 squid though.

Last edited:

Second that. Most realistic tennis game to date,.. here's a little tip, when you hold the swing button whatever one, dont release WHEN the ball bounces (as they teach you o in the tennis school), but rather just as it come's up to the players waist height, for a very High powered shot. This obviously depends on where in the court your player is, closer to the net and you aint got enough time to wait till it comes up after the bounce, so the tip's mainly for baseline players. Patience is the key, i know It'll prolly feel off the first few games because you dont want to loose the point so most times waiting is too risky, but trust me, the longer you wait (as long as the ball does not go past your player) the harder the shot. Happy Smashing.. ;)

Last edited:

how the fuck do you get the ball when they lob you. i can do everything but my player reacts like a nonce when its played over his head.

how the fuck do you get the ball when they lob you. i can do everything but my player reacts like a nonce when its played over his head.
Yeah that usually happens if you tap the button too early, I do it a lot as well - it's a bad habit you get into by tapping the button quickly on volleys.

You have to anticipate the lob or spot it early, then move backwards and to the side where the ball is, and then tap the button when it is at the right height to be smashed and the player has the racquet above his head in the smash position.

I really like this game, just hate the people who use players with 100 power online, ruins the World Tour mode I have heard, that is why I have never bothered with it myself.

TS2's career mode was pretty decent, with a mix of training/competing each month plus having the chance to play qualifiers for the big tournaments, in TS3 they forgot all that stuff and it's just tournament after tournament, with the only way of improving your player being to win tournaments, which you can't do unless your player improves, utterly shite game design.

Does this game have commentary during games or is it background music like VT?

Ok, do the crowd get involved?

Just bought it for £15, I was going to get VT 2009 but it sounds like very little has changed.

The crowd are pretty dull really, the sound effects aren't one of the strong points of this game.

OK, thanks.

Ok, do the crowd get involved?

Just bought it for £15, I was going to get VT 2009 but it sounds like very little has changed.

Nobody should buy VT2009. I am getting rid of mine as World Tour/Career mode is so fcuked up.

It is very boring as it is so damn easy. It feels like a chore to play and I am not gonna put 5 hours into this game before it gets any harder.

Just had Lovefilm send me VT2009, I'll let you know what I think when I get it. Haven't played a tennis game since Top Spin 2 though.

VT2009 is rubbish, mainly because they have screwed up the Career Mode, it is nigh on impossible to lose, I have been playing for 5 hours and have reached rank 65 and yet to drop a game, in fact most games I win without dropping a point, this is at a high difficulty level.

Online is well done and have had some good games.

Tried VT2009 last night for an hour, rubbish. Doesn't feel like a next-gen game at all, just no satisfaction from playing a match and it looks like an XBox 1 game really.

Sent it back to Lovefilm this morning, glad I didn't pay for it!

Downloaded the Top Spin 4 360 demo, technically it looks to be their best yet, but, who the hell decided that releasing a tennis demo that contains only 1 tiebreak is a good idea? Nearly as ridiculous as Fifa demos and their 20 second halfs!

i liked the game but hated the atributes, did the creators of the game really watch tennis to make such horrible atributes??????

That is really concerning me about this game. That and the fact that game modes seems exactly rhe same as TS3, including the option to create only 4 player, that´s just ridiculous, they give us a good player creation and limit if with such a samll number of players slots.

Haven't played it, but animations looks good. Do the players make any mistakes or is it much more gamer game where a good timed shot is always good? Like in PES where a good timed shot can still turn out shit because of stats?

Got the demo, loving it but am similarly fed up with the tie-break and lack of restart. You'd have thought a best of two games setup would be fine.

Otherwise it's awesome. I can imagine online being seriously tactical. I've used the Move with it too - it's fun, but as you'd expect from a sim-heavy title it's gesture based. As such, not sure what it adds over the pad, though I felt my timing might have been a bit better with it.

Back
Top Bottom