Top Spin 4

Re: Top Spin 3 (PS3/360/Wii/DS)

Sounds excellent, I am dying to get hold of this but I'm skint at the moment. From what I've seen and heard it's the best simulation of tennis so far, which is great - I disliked Virtua Tennis, the CPU cheats (cue pboreham coming in here and screaming "NO SUCH THING") drove me mental. All I know is that my first season I won everything, my second season I won nothing...

only one word about the gameplay: FANTASTIC!

many people won't like becouse is really hard to learn how to play well, but the game is very very realistic! the best tennis simulation ever, for sure!!! finally!!!

To my suprise my copy arrived while I was at work today after it was posted by Play yesterday. Just got home and looking forward to getting stuck in.

I've had it for 2 days and have to say that it is superb.

Looks great, plays great and is very realistic. To begin with the control system takes a bit of getting use to but once you pick it up you really feel as though you are in total control of the player and can pull of superbly realistic shots. I have also found that surfaces play a big role, for example the gameplay is slower on clay and faster on grass.

Deffo the best tennis simulation that I have played (I have pretty much played every tennis game released in the last 10 years)!!

Good Lord this game is fantastic. I played my first match on the Normal difficulty against Nalbandian and couldn't win a a point let alone a game as I was so unused to the gameplay mechanics but after using the School and learning the ins and outs of the press-hold-release system I'm coming around to it and it's brilliant. You really do feel as if you fight for every point which is something that's been missing from tennis games for.. well, ever.

This sounds really good, I will have to get it when I come back from holiday :)).

I liked the original Top Spin on PC, I just thought that it lacked players. This should be good fun, Virtua Tennis has always been very basic - It's the PES of tennis games, arcadey and fast paced and gameplay without much depth and I prefer my games to be more tactical and realistic, and Top Spin 3 sounds like that :)).

Only thing is, given the current tennis climate.. a tennis game missing the likes of Djokovic and Nadal (playing on 360) is a bit disappointing.

Only thing that annoys me from the videos is the animation right before hitting the ball - the player does a sort of 'skid', which I assume is the AI trying to position you to hit the ball so it doesn't look weird or buggy.

Only thing that annoys me from the videos is the animation right before hitting the ball - the player does a sort of 'skid', which I assume is the AI trying to position you to hit the ball so it doesn't look weird or buggy.

I think that's just for when you don't time your shot right.

That only happens when you mistime a shot.

If you order a game before 5pm with ShopTo, they send it Recorded Delivery and you nearly always get it the next day (depending on your post obviously). The cheap prices, Recorded Delivery and quick delivery means it's the best place to get games online for me.

Argh! Damn you guys, this sounds really good! I'm gonna have to buy this aren't I? :))

Few questions about career mode:
Do you play any 5 set matches?
Do you play each round or only the quarters, semis and final?
Do you play the same players over again a lot or play worse players at the start? I got fed up of Virtua Tennis because I found it so stupid that at the start you would kick Federer's arse and not let him have a point but later on in the game he was almost unbeatable.
Can you use your created player online? On the original on PC you could, and I thought it was good that you could do that as you could set them up for your style of play and as you had a limit of how many stars they could have, you couldn't make them the perfect all round player.

Haven't even got that far yet.

My first tournament was a Round Robin so played 3 group matches before progressing to the Quarter Finals etc.

I'm still baffled as to why they've lost Wimbledon. I mean, Virtua Tennis and Smash Court 3 don't have it either so it's not like it's an exclusive license to anyone else.

Few questions about career mode:
Do you play any 5 set matches?
Do you play each round or only the quarters, semis and final?
Do you play the same players over again a lot or play worse players at the start? I got fed up of Virtua Tennis because I found it so stupid that at the start you would kick Federer's arse and not let him have a point but later on in the game he was almost unbeatable.
Can you use your created player online? On the original on PC you could, and I thought it was good that you could do that as you could set them up for your style of play and as you had a limit of how many stars they could have, you couldn't make them the perfect all round player.

The length of tournaments and matches in career mode sucks again. No 5 set matches and no 7 round Grand slams.

Yeah according to the Q&A answer on that topic we customers are incapable of deciding if we want to play long matches or not, they have to decide for us.....

Indeed.

I'm enjoying it but one thing irks me, I'm doing the junior tour thingy, objective is to finish in the top 3 at the end of the season, I started on normal skill level as I wanted a challenge, but there's no way to improve your stats other than by gaining experience points by beating people, but the people you face have much higher stats than you do, so you end up losing all the time, and there's no option like in TS2 to skip a tournament and do training instead to improve your stats, bit of a catch22, I basically ended up dropping the skill level to easy so I could win some matches and gain experience points to improve my player, seems to me a flaw in the design of the career mode.......

Yes and it's shit IMO, you only get better by winning games, you only win games when you get better, catch 22.

no wimbledon = no purchase

edit: no mini training games? WTF! FUCK this game

The game still plays the same with or without Wimbledon so don't see what the problem is. The court is either Green, Blue or Red (or whatever).
Not a big deal to me but each to their own.

surfaces are noticeable, although the general crapness of my play can make it difficult to tell at times.

For all who have/will have it, make sure you try out top spin school - once you do you realise there's even more depth to the game than first appears....

always release as the ball bounces......

Back
Top Bottom