Sleeping Dogs (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)

i think it is more a story based game with the plus of an open city. a bit like mafia. i actually prefer a story based game than a "do crazy shit" open world with shitty story stelling.

But it is always gonna be difficult, if not impossible to recreate a dynamic city. that's why red dead redemption was so good, being mostly in the wild/small villages meant you could be completely immersed in the game world. any city is gonna feels a bit fake sooner or later.

Any game is meant to be played by somehow getting into the spirit of the world it recreates. If you are detached from your imagination and star overanalysing it you can never really enjoy anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also unlike GTA you cant just drive about and kill people and snipe people or blow up things and get cop chases just when your bored. THe game is just mellow you can just drive about and feel like your in hong kong.

Of course you can :)

You can't? Weird I seem to remember doing stuff like that...

Of course you can :)

HUH? you dont get guns? I only have guns when on mission and you dont get any more bullets after depleted. In gta you can buy snipers, RPGS grenades and go crazy. PLus the cop chases in Sleeping dogs are pretty weak but maybe thats due to the cars handlings. But its not hard o evade cops.

Even still the game doesnt have the same comedic feel when going on a random killing spree or cop chase like GTA. tbh its more realistic lol

i think it is more a story based game with the plus of an open city. a bit like mafia. i actually prefer a story based game than a "do crazy shit" open world with shitty story stelling.

But it is always gonna be difficult, if not impossible to recreate a dynamic city. that's why red dead redemption was so good, being mostly in the wild/small villages meant you could be completely immersed in the game world. any city is gonna feels a bit fake sooner or later.

Any game is meant to be played by somehow getting into the spirit of the world it recreates. If you are detached from your imagination and star overanalysing it you can never really enjoy anything.

THe city is amazing. Sometimes I just gt a boat or bike, nice car and drive about.

What I feel is I want this game to be Shenmue. In other words have the story of Shenmue and gameplay continued but you are now in Hong Kong. INvestigating, fighting etc, I think that would be cool.

But that's the thing - Sleeping Dogs' emphasis on martial arts and hand-to-hand combat is what makes it a little different. I don't want every open world game to be a GTA clone.

I took the offer on PSN, to be PLSU memebr and take the game for 9,90 €. I've played plenty of it the weekend, and I must say I'm liking it a lot. Definitely between my best of 2012 games. Lots of details and lots of humor in the script.

But that's the thing - Sleeping Dogs' emphasis on martial arts and hand-to-hand combat is what makes it a little different. I don't want every open world game to be a GTA clone.

i agree no point in a gta clone but i think gta edges it on fun but sleeping dogs replica and feel of hong kong is top notch. I think they couldve made the missions more difficult or something though I dont ever recall struggling at all.

Actually finished this last night, very pleased with my £2.69 purchase!

I bought a few games before this and I was struggling to get into them, but this had me gripped immediately.

If anyone's interested I noticed you can buy a digital copy for 360 on XBL for just £8.99, a limited offer. Think I'm gonna buy it, don't usually do digital downloads but it's half the price of the cheapest version I can find online.

Yeah it was too good an offer, just snapped that right up :) Not sure how long it'll be at £8.99 for but for me that's deal of the year on Xbox Live.

Until tomorrow apparently :)

From today until March 18 we're holding a giant Square Enix sale on Xbox LIVE, offering you lovely gamers up to 50 per cent off Games on Demand and add-on content. Whether you're looking to increase your mental agility, lose yourself in a dystopian future, or beat-down some Triad gangs in Hong Kong; we've got you covered.

Take a gander at this long list of goodies - there's sure to be a bargain with your name on it!

Mensa Academy - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Now $14.99/£8.99/€14.99 (60% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - The Missing Link - Now 600 MSP (50% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Explosive Mission Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Explosive Mission Pack and TacticalAdd-on - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Mini Ninjas Adventures - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - 600 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - A Hazardous Reunion - Now 200 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - Raziel and Kain - Now 200 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - All the Trappings - Now 200 MSP (50% off)
All Zombies Must Die - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Puzzle Arcade - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Geon - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Just Cause 2 - Black Market Aerial Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Just Cause 2 - Black Market 'Boom' Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Now $9.99/£8.99/€9.99 (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Beneath the Ashes - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara's Shadow - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Battlestations Pacific - BSP Carrier Battles Map Pack - Now 280 MSP (50% off)
Battlestations Pacific - BSP Mustang Unit Pack - Now 80 (50% off)
Battlestations Pacific - BSP Volcano Map Pack - Now 280 (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Now $9.99/£8.99/€9.99 (50% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - Now $9.99/£8.99/€9.99 (25% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - Alliance Weapon Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - Multiplayer Masks Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - The Doggie Bag - Now 280 MSP (50% off)
Mini Ninjas - $14.99/£8.99/€14.99 (50% off)
Supreme Commander 2 - $14.99/£8.99/€14.99 (50% off)
Dungeon Siege III - Now $9.99/£8.99/€14.99 (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Now $19.99/£8.99/€14.99 (44% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Tactical Soldier - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Street Racer Pack - Now 160 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - The Swat Pack - Now 160 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - The Movie Masters Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point - Now 280 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Police Protection Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Martial Arts Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - GSP Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Deep Undercover Pack - Now 120 (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Triad Enforcer Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - The Dragon Master Pack - Now 320 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix Character Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Top Dog Silver Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Top Dog Gold Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Red Envelope Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Retro Triad Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - High Roller Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Lots to choose from! What takes your fancy?

Until tomorrow apparently :)

Take a gander at this long list of goodies - there's sure to be a bargain with your name on it!

Mensa Academy - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Now $14.99/£8.99/€14.99 (60% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - The Missing Link - Now 600 MSP (50% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Explosive Mission Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Deus Ex Human Revolution - Explosive Mission Pack and TacticalAdd-on - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Mini Ninjas Adventures - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - 600 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - A Hazardous Reunion - Now 200 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - Raziel and Kain - Now 200 MSP (50% off)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - All the Trappings - Now 200 MSP (50% off)
All Zombies Must Die - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Puzzle Arcade - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Geon - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Just Cause 2 - Black Market Aerial Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Just Cause 2 - Black Market 'Boom' Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Now $9.99/£8.99/€9.99 (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Beneath the Ashes - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara's Shadow - Now 400 MSP (50% off)
Battlestations Pacific - BSP Carrier Battles Map Pack - Now 280 MSP (50% off)
Battlestations Pacific - BSP Mustang Unit Pack - Now 80 (50% off)
Battlestations Pacific - BSP Volcano Map Pack - Now 280 (50% off)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Now $9.99/£8.99/€9.99 (50% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - Now $9.99/£8.99/€9.99 (25% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - Alliance Weapon Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - Multiplayer Masks Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Kane and Lynch 2 - The Doggie Bag - Now 280 MSP (50% off)
Mini Ninjas - $14.99/£8.99/€14.99 (50% off)
Supreme Commander 2 - $14.99/£8.99/€14.99 (50% off)
Dungeon Siege III - Now $9.99/£8.99/€14.99 (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Now $19.99/£8.99/€14.99 (44% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Tactical Soldier - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Street Racer Pack - Now 160 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - The Swat Pack - Now 160 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - The Movie Masters Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point - Now 280 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Police Protection Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Martial Arts Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - GSP Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Deep Undercover Pack - Now 120 (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Triad Enforcer Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - The Dragon Master Pack - Now 320 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix Character Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Top Dog Silver Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Top Dog Gold Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Red Envelope Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - Retro Triad Pack - Now 80 MSP (50% off)
Sleeping Dogs - High Roller Pack - Now 120 MSP (50% off)
Lots to choose from! What takes your fancy?

Cheers for the list Placebo! :)

Maybe some of the Tomb Raiders might be worth a go, I've never played a Tomb Raider game before (though I will be picking up the new one at some point). Have you tried any of the Sleeping Dogs add ons? Might be worth picking some of them up if they're any good.

Oh and I've just started Sleeping Dogs, loving it already :)

Over the last couple of weeks with Xbox Live Sales I bought Dirt 2 for $5(really good fun), Max Payne 3 for $5 (started it on HARD and boy oh boy is it!) and I'm halfway through my download of Sleeping Dogs ($10).

Glad I could get these games for cheap as I wanted to try them eventually!

Over the last couple of weeks with Xbox Live Sales I bought Dirt 2 for $5(really good fun), Max Payne 3 for $5 (started it on HARD and boy oh boy is it!) and I'm halfway through my download of Sleeping Dogs ($10).

Glad I could get these games for cheap as I wanted to try them eventually!

Some really good games there, I bought Max Payne when it came out at full price and had a great time with it. Getting it for $5 is amazing!

I'm really enjoying Sleeping Dogs, it does feel very GTA when you're driving around but I'm loving the combat. I'm surprised by the graphics on 360 too, it's one of the best visual games I've seen on Xbox. Really nice.

i with the psn had this kind of offers. anyway sleeping dogs is probably one of my top 5 fav games of the ps3 generation.

I'm absolute toilet at this game though. I'm doing the side mission stuff fighting pockets of gangs (the surveillance camera missions) and it's literally taking five or six attempts every time I try. I'm getting my ass handed to me in combat, half the time when I attack they just block and then my counter doesn't seem to react quickly enough.

Great game though, but it's getting a little frustrating to say the least. It's the same basic combat as in the Batman games, and I had absolutely no problem with that so I don't know what's up with this.

You'll get used to the combat. There are more moves you'll need to learn/unlock to beat certain goons.

I've never played a game like this that's so hard. I string together move after move then die after three hits. It's fucking crazy. Particularly the guys who grapple. One time I beat up about six guys with ease, got caught out just once, thrown to the ground, then stomped on by a grapple guy, and it took probably 70% of my health straight away. Oh and the counter button doesn't seem to always work properly, so many times I press it when the attacker is flashing red and it does nothing.

I literally die in every single new encounter with a gang, even if it's just three of them. Every single time. I usually go back and defeat them straight away, which is bizarre, but yeah, I must haves died in this game about 30 times already and I've barely done any missions.

Weird. What's weirder is that games with similar combat like Batman were pretty easy for me on harder difficulties, so why I'm having so much trouble with this is strange!

I started Max Payne 3 on HARD with free aim. Talk about a grind! lol. Slowly working out how to get through it. I'm just part way through Chapter 4 now. I might have to give it another playthrough later with auto lock on and just have some mindless fun. Crank up the subwoofer and banggggg.

Suuupertalk - when I get onto Sleeping Dogs I will let you know what I think :)

I started Max Payne 3 on HARD with free aim. Talk about a grind! lol. Slowly working out how to get through it. I'm just part way through Chapter 4 now. I might have to give it another playthrough later with auto lock on and just have some mindless fun. Crank up the subwoofer and banggggg.

Suuupertalk - when I get onto Sleeping Dogs I will let you know what I think :)

It's weird, I never struggle with games at all, and everyone seems to say its easy. But there are these six thugs in an underpass guarding a collectible that I must have died trying to beat at least 10 times in a row now. It's fucking ridiculous. the moves seem really hit and miss, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Half the time my counters just don't work when up against someone with a weapon or a grappler guy. And the fact that I have to stand there pounding away at someone only to take three hits before I die is absolutely ridiculous.

It's a great game being marred by the fact that I die, drive halfway across the map, die, drive halfway across the map, over and over again. Is there any way at all to reduce the damage taken? I literally can get through five guys without taking a single hit and then get hit a couple of times (mostly because my counter strangely doesn't work) and that's that. I back off for a while but my energy doesn't even regenerate during combat.

Last edited:
The combat was quite tricky to begin with, but once you get the hang of the timing and learn which moves to use on the different enemies it's fairly simple. I only just got to the point where guns were introduced - I ended up just messing around a lot, need to finish it at some point!

Same here - you die so many times but getting to a checkpoint is so satisfying! Another game I'm yet to complete... I hardly ever finish a game, damn you PES :LOL:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I struggled a bit with the combat at first too, but now I kick ass, its not even fair.
Go to those combat things to practice in one of them you face like 12 guys or something, with 3 to 4 bigs, its great.
Also cheese it up with the food, tea and massage bonus, when the facemeter is maxed you will be unstoppable.

i stared playing a lot of other game because pes and fifa bored the shit out of me.

Back
Top Bottom