Sensible World Of Soccer (Xbox 360)

I might have to grab that while I wait for a 360. Windows Live Arcade will be good as they I'll take part in any tournaments you guys are having :)

Edit: It seems I'll need Vista to use Windows Live Arcade, that's gonna suck. I've got a copy of Vista anyway, but i've got no intentions of installing it when XP is doing fine and Vista is buggy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I've not had time to read through this thread but how many teams does SWOS have? Is it an exact replica of the old classic before licensing ruined football games?

Insider 17: Licenses and Data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the interest of our new found and hard-fought-for understanding, I'm relying on everyone keeping their heads over this

Finally, after much wrangling, we can confirm the data that will be used in Sensible World of Soccer for both Xbox Live Arcade and Windows Vista. It'll be non-licensed, spoofed data based on the original 96/97 names.

We understand this'll be a disappointment to a lot of you, but I thought I should try and explain the reasons we've had to use this.

Firstly, why is it unlicensed?

FIFPro licenses cost a *lot* of money - too much to recoup with a downloadable game unfortunately. For a game that'll be under £10 to purchase it has proved simply too expensive to justify. Faced with either developing SWOS for XBLA and Vista, OR paying for licenses, I hope you’ll agree we did the right thing.

We have to keep the price of the game low to entice casual users into the fold (the “bread and butter” of the Xbox Live crowd), and while a lot of you would say "well I'd pay double if it guaranteed licensed names", many thanks, but in the grander scheme of things nowhere near everyone would do this – all they’d see would be an expensive 10-year old game on Arcade, and not download it. Obviously we're in a business trying to make (at least some) money to fund future development, so the price of a license vis-à-vis the projected sales just put us off too much.

And while we have had a FIFPro license for other full boxed games (Club Football, LMA Manager) they are given on a per-game basis, rather than a per-company one (I wish!)

Secondly, why the 96/97 data and not the 06/07 data?

We have had a contingency for both, and this was causing the delay in us being able to let you all know to score with data - genuinely until a very short time ago we hadn't decided for sure.

We were mining the 06/07 data but for technical reasons that we were unable to solve if deadlines were to be met, we had to abandon it sadly – another choice over either data or pushing the release back. So the game will use the 96/97 data instead. So when we say it's the original gameplay with updated graphics and multiplayer option added, we mean that - no less.

We hope that being honest has meant that you'll be understanding about the players' names and league structures, and always remember that this is a great chance to play Sensible World of Soccer over Xbox Live, something that's never been done before. As the previews have been saying over and over again, it's still a bloody great game and playing online will only add to this.

Shit, that's the first I've heard of the spoofed names. How ridiculous.

I hope there's an easy way to patch it, I don't fancy editing the 16,000 player names.

Doesn't bother me at all, playing with 96/97 players was mad enough anyway and just the simple fact of playing SWOS online is great, regardless of what the players are called :)

Doesn't bother me at all, playing with 96/97 players was mad enough anyway and just the simple fact of playing SWOS online is great, regardless of what the players are called :)
That's true, the online aspect is the only reason I'm looking forward to it. Only thing is, I'm going to wait for reviews first, because I'm sceptical about how well it will work. SWOS is played at a mile a minute, trying to get the reaction times working well enough for online play will be very hard, surely.

whens it out?
Originally scheduled for 29th August, now apparently (thanks to Microsoft) postponed until early September.

Theres aparently a huge 4 page preview in one of the UK Xbox 360 mags.

Issue 30 of 360gamer (2.99) has a 4 page preview of SWOS - written by Ian Collen (who I think was at the Sports Cafe event) basically he thinks it's great

A four-page "preview" of a ten-year-old game? That has to be a first! How pointless is that? :mryellow:

We all know what it's like, JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY!!

"I guess to educate the younger kids"

I think the out of date teams - spoof names and not 3D graphics will put them off before they even read half a page of the preview.

I can't believe they're not even giving us an editor - or even giving us the promise that they'll release updated 06/07 data as DLC later on !

"I guess to educate the younger kids"

I think the out of date teams - spoof names and not 3D graphics will put them off before they even read half a page of the preview.

I can't believe they're not even giving us an editor - or even giving us the promise that they'll release updated 06/07 data as DLC later on !

Why would they release new spoof names?

Jesus wept, I'll spell it out for you.

Why would they release new spoof names?

Insider 17: Licenses and Data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the interest of our new found and hard-fought-for understanding, I'm relying on everyone keeping their heads over this

Finally, after much wrangling, we can confirm the data that will be used in Sensible World of Soccer for both Xbox Live Arcade and Windows Vista. It'll be non-licensed, spoofed data based on the original 96/97 names.

We understand this'll be a disappointment to a lot of you, but I thought I should try and explain the reasons we've had to use this.

Firstly, why is it unlicensed?

FIFPro licenses cost a *lot* of money - too much to recoup with a downloadable game unfortunately. For a game that'll be under £10 to purchase it has proved simply too expensive to justify. Faced with either developing SWOS for XBLA and Vista, OR paying for licenses, I hope you’ll agree we did the right thing.

We have to keep the price of the game low to entice casual users into the fold (the “bread and butter” of the Xbox Live crowd), and while a lot of you would say "well I'd pay double if it guaranteed licensed names", many thanks, but in the grander scheme of things nowhere near everyone would do this – all they’d see would be an expensive 10-year old game on Arcade, and not download it. Obviously we're in a business trying to make (at least some) money to fund future development, so the price of a license vis-à-vis the projected sales just put us off too much.

And while we have had a FIFPro license for other full boxed games (Club Football, LMA Manager) they are given on a per-game basis, rather than a per-company one (I wish!)

Originally in SWOS they Werent Spooofed Jay, they were proper names from what I can remember. Now they have to change that as they do not have a license for it.. :) hope that clears it up a bit better.

Yeah, I don't think Jay knows that back in the day of SWOS there was no such thing as licenses. You could call all the teams the proper names and the players too.

Because of the amount of leagues, I wouldn't mind betting it was SWOS that caused the license phenomena actually. Some lawyer probably played the game and thought "I know how I can make a million quid out of this"...

It'll still play amazing though and online!!!!

It would have been a perfect game if they had given us an editor and ability to exchange data online (and not a save over your own data but pick and mix)

But it should still be worth a bash

I'm not buying this now.
Thats a shame mate, it will be great fun online :) especially if someone tells me a good place to host a Tourney site!!

Also Jay I think they will include their usual Edit Names bit so we can change them back anyway, plus the spoofing will probably be things like Geggs for Giggs and Centona for Cantona :)

Back
Top Bottom