Sensible World Of Soccer (Xbox 360)

Sensible Soccer coming to XBLA in November

Fans of, well, Soccer, will be pleased as punch to learn that the remake of 1994's Sensible World of Soccer will finally be making its way to Xbox Live Arcade sometime this month. At least, it will if everything goes well, according to developer Codemasters.

Codemasters producer Jim Brown tells Eurogamer that the classic Soccer/Football title still has another round of submissions internally, as well as Microsoft's own certification process, but that the team anticipates the game's availability on XBLA within the month. According to Brown, delays on the game's release have been due to the multiplayer network code, which has been reworked significantly for stability. Sensible World of Soccer was deemed one of the ten most important games of all time back in March, by a panel including our very own Chris Grant.

According to Brown, delays on the game's release have been due to the multiplayer network code, which has been reworked significantly for stability.

seems about right when you consider that the maximum time you can dribble the ball at any one time (without going in a straight line) is about 1.5 seconds - the lag would need to be pretty much nailed the first time you try to play a game online...

sensi would be IMPOSSIBLE if it had the same lag as pes2008!

Codemasters Online Gaming remains cagey about the release date of Sensible World of Soccer.

Earlier this month producer Jim Brown told us the revamped retro classic would be out before the end of November. But when pushed today about whether this was still true, Codemasters Online could only offer than an announcement would be made in the coming days.

This could all be good news, of course, with the publisher keen to unveil its imminent release date to everyone at once. But we cannot help fearing the worst, like having an elephant trunk sloppily attached to our shoulder as we sleep.

Jim Brown told us everything was currently in Microsoft's hands, and SWOS simply had to clear the certification process before it could go on Live Arcade. However, we have seen this take a long time in the past - Jeff Minter and his troubled masterpiece Space Giraffe took weeks to clear.

We only speculate because we care, dear reader - Sensible Soccer was one of our (read: Kristan's) favourite memories ever. Pop over to our SWOS gamepage to see how it is shaping up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88179

Yep, even touching up graphics doesn't take this long. And if they're citing delays due to trying to ensure there's no lag, tell them to speak to Activision as they've got COD4 pretty much spot on!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88337

Sources close to Codemasters have revealed that Sensible World of Soccer will be available on 19th December, just in time for Christmas.

Word slipped on the publisher forums where community manager "Rubbergenius" leaked the date.
Advertisement

Neither Codemasters Online Gaming or Microsoft have been available to comment - the publisher told us last week that an announcement was expected soon - but we understand the date is accurate.

Sensible World of Soccer is based on the 96/97 version of the classic football series. Everything has been faithfully recreated here from the humorous teams to the management options and team editing.

Pop over to our first impressions of Sensible World of Soccer to see why we are so excited.

-------------

I'm losing interest. There's so many games out to play, I'm not sure I can fit SWOS in. What a stupid time to release the game.

Looks pretty lame, although the goal at the end was nice. Guess the magic is in playing it (never played SWOS before. Tried to get an emulator working but couldn't).

Looks pretty lame, although the goal at the end was nice. Guess the magic is in playing it (never played SWOS before. Tried to get an emulator working but couldn't).

With you saying it looked lame, I knew you hadn't played it before. It obviously does look lame now, but it's all about the memories for the guys in their 20's who used to play it extensively in the 90's. Great game, I'm sure it'll still be good. But they do say you should never go back on good memories as they're never what you remember and can ruin your memories ...

And to be fair, that video is shit. The guys aren't even playing it properly. Look up some other SWOS vids on YouTube. I hope the management mode is still the way it was, best management system in a game yet :)

Last edited by a moderator:
With you saying it looked lame, I knew you hadn't played it before. It obviously does look lame now, but it's all about the memories for the guys in their 20's who used to play it extensively in the 90's. Great game, I'm sure it'll still be good. But they do say you should never go back on good memories as they're never what you remember and can ruin your memories ...

And to be fair, that video is shit. The guys aren't even playing it properly. Look up some other SWOS vids on YouTube. I hope the management mode is still the way it was, best management system in a game yet :)

I used to play this game for whole days and days - just put on my Led Zep box set and get into the management side of things and used to sit there for ever. My parents were worried about me - until I told them I was very happy and wasn't gonna kill myself.

This and Champ Manager are the only games I used to waste my life away with.

Sensi was a great Game - I will buy it on xbox just to have a good go at it. But I can't see me playing it for long periods......unless we set up an evo web league :)

Exactly. Sensi never had response issues, apparantly the delays are to fix lag. So no reason for me to drop out of the league :)

I've just read on the official Codemasters forum (and on another brilliant Sensi forum that I forget the name of, it might be Purple Sensi's but it's half four in the morning and I'm fried), that the official release date is December 19th.

EDIT: Found the Purple Sensi link, CLICK HERE.

There's a very interesting interview quoted there as well, I am LOVING THE SOUND OF THIS!

RG said:
When we started the project we aimed to be able to make as much of the original SWOS game accessible over Xbox Live as possible. So in this new version you can play friendly, ranked matches, any competition and even DIY competitions all over Xbox Live. We expect many old SWOS rivalries to be resurrected once SWOS come out!

:D

Last edited:
The graphics will be really crappy and old school won't they?

Philastine!!!!! Its not all about graphics you know... grrrr kids of today :)

SWOS was just about the best game when it came out - and held that record for years - not a franchise that needed yearly updates and minor tweaks to make you shell out more money.

The Manager mode was so deep - although those days didnt have the license problems, but to have virtually EVERY single team in the world available - all running at the same time, able to jump into any job in the world - even Internationals (assuming you were offered it), made the game immensely addictive.

I remember one Player/Manager career I did went something like this...

Barnet -> Walsall -> Dundee -> Dynamo Minsk -> Cameroon (for a World Cup!) -> Chelsea

Show me a game these days that allows that variety and freedom!

Couple that with superb gameplay, editable teams, transfer systems, training matches against your reserves etc...

I cannot wait for this to come back out!

Oh I did used to play it and it was great :) But I don't think it will be able to rip me away from FIFA

I remember using the database editor, putting United in Division 2 and put all the good players into another team and put them in the Premiership.... it took me a while but I built a new United side and got back to the Premiership in no time at all! After a few threats from the chairman that my bank balance was unacceptable!

with all these delays they could have given us an updated roster no problem.

No doubt that will come in the new year as 500 point DLC

SWOS comes out on XBOX 360 on 19th December, whan does it for pc?

They said some time after the 360 release, then it would be released for 'Vista Live', but no details of specific dates were given.

IIRC, they said they would see how the 360 one went - with regards to critical and commerical feedback before going ahead with the PC one.

I'm looking forward to this more than I was FIFA I think. But then I have been missing playing SWOS for a decade so it's been a long time coming :)

Back
Top Bottom