Sensible World Of Soccer (Xbox 360)

Sorry if this was answered before:

Does this new SWOS have the same old manager mode? And are the rosters updated or are they the same old ones?

EDIT:
hargreaves4 said:
They dont have any sort of license so updated rosters is well and truly out of the question.
Just spotted this so i guess same old 90's rosters then..

Same old manager mode, been mentioned in all the interviews (and what I'm currently loving, even more so than FIFA's because you easily beat the crap teams and genuinely struggle against the top teams, rather than getting the same result 9/10 times).

The rosters will be all fake names because they have no licenses whatsoever, not a one. I'm confused about what year it will be based on though, originally I read it was the 96/97 data but I've read since that it will be 07/08 data.

Either way there's an editor included and if someone makes a patch with 100% real names (or I get really bored one day and do them all myself), I will be made up.

Now i could understand what the fuss was about if we was still in 90's but if im not mistaken this game came out 15 years ago

Maybe its because i didnt play it "back in the day", i may get it to see how shit it is :)

It was an amazing game, and it still is considering you can get a full season done in an hour or two.

But if you didn't play it originally I'm sure it won't be anything special to you. You'll think you've accidentally overclocked your 360 the first time you play it. Vroooooom!

i dont think there is any point trying now to be honest

Its like me playing Streets of Rage or Alex the Kidd again for the first time, back then it was awesome but now its obviously unappealing

Well I'm playing it on an emulator as I type and I love it, and I had my 13 year old nephew playing it for the first time at the weekend and he couldn't stop playing it. I got sick of it before he did. So it still has its appeal, at least as an Arcade game.

I still think if you haven't played it before then you won't really be into it. But it has full competition modes, tournament editors and the lot, so it's not like it doesn't have enough features to make it a good game.

Tim, there's a few, but it's the same graphics as the original with a few funky ads and pitches that show wear and tear. It's easier to imagine it than it is to find a screenshot. ;)

Well I'm playing it on an emulator as I type and I love it, and I had my 13 year old nephew playing it for the first time at the weekend and he couldn't stop playing it. I got sick of it before he did. So it still has its appeal, at least as an Arcade game.

I still think if you haven't played it before then you won't really be into it. But it has full competition modes, tournament editors and the lot, so it's not like it doesn't have enough features to make it a good game.

Tim, there's a few, but it's the same graphics as the original with a few funky ads and pitches that show wear and tear. It's easier to imagine it than it is to find a screenshot. ;)

Think its like Speedball 2 - they have the original code (and obviously graphics) for SWOS 96/97, or more advanced graphics for next-gen.

Cannot wait for this... I used to play this every day, all afternoon/evening after school/college for months - maybe years considering I had the original Sensi Soccer on the Amiga.

Nothing better than doing a long booming curling (when they introduced aftertouch) cross from the wing to be met by your star striker on the diving header! And NO cut back goals!!! YAY!

I used to be able to score from the sideline, just past the half way line :) I had the joystick (remember those?) control down to a tee and used to roll the stick so I put the aftertouch on to curl it to the corner of the goal :D

Yea, big looping shot! I used to like squaring it low along the ground and sliding them home at the far post.

Imagine kids with the old one button sticks now days... how on earth did we cope back then? Remember fighters that you only had 1 button for... madness!

How old are you Dags?

I had the Joystick too! I played this on the old Amiga 600 back in the day. Then I got the PC version sometime later after my old man got us a decent PC back in them days! I loved the game, they couldnt get me off it! Manager mode was soooo good! I had the CD-Rom edition which had the goalscoringsuperstarhero Video intro showing some guy riding a push bike!!! also had some funny cutscenes showing the manager and his funny voice.... "We will have to reconsider your position as Manager!" I remember having to make a DOS Boot Disk for this game (During the Windows 95 years).. god im showing my age or what?!

Great days! now if we could play an online league.. that would be awesome!

I had the Joystick too! I played this on the old Amiga 600 back in the day. Then I got the PC version sometime later after my old man got us a decent PC back in them days! I loved the game, they couldnt get me off it! Manager mode was soooo good! I had the CD-Rom edition which had the goalscoringsuperstarhero Video intro showing some guy riding a push bike!!! also had some funny cutscenes showing the manager and his funny voice.... "We will have to reconsider your position as Manager!" I remember having to make a DOS Boot Disk for this game (During the Windows 95 years).. god im showing my age or what?!

Never really liked the PC version - no version ever captured the magic of the Amiga one (so hoping the 360 one will if they are using it code line for code line as they keep insisting).

I remember having a proper Editor for the Amiga version and I went through all 92 english teams and corrected everything... wish I had 1% of the spare time I had back then nowdays!

Yea, big looping shot! I used to like squaring it low along the ground and sliding them home at the far post.

Imagine kids with the old one button sticks now days... how on earth did we cope back then? Remember fighters that you only had 1 button for... madness!

How old are you Dags?

:lol: Another memory! Curling them to the far post where the ball is just going wide ... but it's not! Because you PLACED it to go wide because you're bringing another player in to slide the ball into the net! :lol: I scored that goal loads :)

I'm 27 mate :)

The SWOS 360 version has online leagues :)

Never really liked the PC version - no version ever captured the magic of the Amiga one (so hoping the 360 one will if they are using it code line for code line as they keep insisting).

I remember having a proper Editor for the Amiga version and I went through all 92 english teams and corrected everything... wish I had 1% of the spare time I had back then nowdays!

The Amiga version ran better, I think the AGA chipset made it run slightly better and it looked a lot nicer too.

I used to spend hours fixing teams up too.

Man, I'm REALLY looking forward to this. Hearts Of Oak, tiny league so finishing a season in 30 mins or so :) Then I'll be offered a job in Bulgaria, then off to Finland, then English Div 1, then the Nigeria job :) I love the career mode.

Remember the skills a player had? SFV was my favourite. Speed, finishing and shot power :) I always had to have players with speed in my team, preferably as their first stat. Though I remember finding defenders with speed was hard because they rarely had tackling and heading to go with it (I'm sure they had V a lot of the time).

I wonder how much an Amiga, a zipstick and Sensi would cost on eBay

The Amiga version ran better, I think the AGA chipset made it run slightly better and it looked a lot nicer too.

I used to spend hours fixing teams up too.

Man, I'm REALLY looking forward to this. Hearts Of Oak, tiny league so finishing a season in 30 mins or so :) Then I'll be offered a job in Bulgaria, then off to Finland, then English Div 1, then the Nigeria job :) I love the career mode.

Remember the skills a player had? SFV was my favourite. Speed, finishing and shot power :) I always had to have players with speed in my team, preferably as their first stat. Though I remember finding defenders with speed was hard because they rarely had tackling and heading to go with it (I'm sure they had V a lot of the time).

Ahh man, great memories. I liked having a bruising target man as a striker, so one of my requisites in the team was a HTC (heading, tackling, control), I played him on the right of the front two for my long curling cross tactic, and then as you say, an SFV as his backup (i think Paul Dickov was a SFV).

Ah man, I love this game!!!! Remember sometimes you slide tackled someone and they just crumpled on the spot - this was the type of game where if you used your imagination, you could look past the basic graphics and almost see what was really happening to your little pixels.

One last memory I have, me and my mate did a co-op career (had a half each, each match), and we were Wolves and before every game we would play the reggae song that Wolves used to play before games on my hand-held stereo player (damn PC gone made cannot give it its 'proper' name) - then we got offered the job at Liverpool and we had a great career in Europe.

Rob Jones was famous for not having scored for Liverpool, so every corner, we would swap Rob Jones with a striker to give him a chance to score and he finally did it for us in the Euro-Cup Semi-Finals!!!

Ahhhhhhh.... PES2008 should be ashamed.

My mate and I will always remember four of us held a mini-league and threw some computer teams in. One of our mates was AC Milan and he was playing Wolves. Easy, right? He got beat :lol: and Don Goodman was the scorer. Since then, Wolves and Don Goodman will always be associated with SWOS :lol:

dongoodman.gif

They dont have any sort of license so updated rosters is well and truly out of the question.

I didn't mean to imply a licensed modern day roster.

Unlicensed old school roster is what we've got and that was because they didn't have enough time to get a modern one completed for the September :confused:release.

Last edited:
Double confirmed, Sensible Soccer will release next week
Posted Dec 11th 2007 1:00PM by Dustin Burg
Filed under: News, Xbox Live Arcade

Yes, Codemasters has already unofficially announced on their forums that Sensible Soccer will release December 19th, but we didn't want to get too excited knowing how a developer's release plans don't always match that of Microsoft's. But now we're a bit more comfortable in locking in Sensible Soccer for a release next Wednesday, because AceyBongo (he's the UK's Major Nelson) has just confirmed the news too. Now we're 99.632% sure that the once delayed, then promised for August, then delayed again Sensible Soccer will make its way to the XBLA next Wednesday, December 19th ... pending any further delays. Or so we think. Man, we've been burnt way too many times.

Microsoft has confirmed that Sensible World of Soccer will be released on Xbox Live Arcade tomorrow and revealed that it will be joined by Tempest.
Advertisement

The long-awaited SWOS will go for 800 Microsoft Points (GBP 6.80 / EUR 9.30), while Tempest will be 400 (GBP 3.40 / EUR 4.65). Both will be released with demo versions at 9am GMT on Wednesday, 19th December.

Both games feature original and enhanced graphical options, along with the usual 12 unlockable Achievements for 200 gamerpoints. SWOS of course features online play too.

For more on how it's shaping up, check out our first impressions and recent interview with Codemasters Online Gaming.

------------------------------------------------

£6.80? DEAL! :D

Back
Top Bottom