Pro Evo Old School Die-Hards ..................

In my opinion, the reason why this PES is not hailed like that of the earlier versions of PES is, Konami is moving towards realism in gameplay. When you get closer to gameplay, the games tend to be less exciting and more tactical.

I have played PES 5 and forward. I would say PES 2009 is the most realistic of all. It may not be the most exciting of all because PES 2009 is more about realism in build-up play and on-the-pitch football. If you love realism and the tactical side of the game, you might love PES 2009.

And yes, I'm talking about my tweaked (agility + top speed) PES 2009.

Last edited:
I'm 38 brazilian guy.

I played FIFA series since the MegaDrive (FIFA Soccer 95), after this on SNES, PC, PSX.

Then I saw the J-League Winning Eleven 97. Visually not so gorgeous, but the playability... Fantastic!!!

Since then I've been playing the WE and PES series. All of then. Some almost perfects, some not so good, but always better than any FIFA.

But I must confess: the PES 2008 let me very worried. And everybody saying: FIFA 08 changed, blahblahblah... I thought: it's can not be possible, I know how FIFA is...

Came PES 2009 and I saw how I was always right. I love this game, the playability, the ball phisics, the players shape, a Ok edit mode (could be better, guys!), BUT...

The FIFA 09 is very good, the best of all of FIFAs. I feel the Konami simply stopped because the fight was so piece of cake, but the things changed.

A little issue: why remove good stufs like: mixed kits, short socks, untucked shirts, game speed options, change the badge position on kits edit, yellow/red cards on advantage fouls, central camera mode “1 to 9”, save language speech, etc.

We can see on FIFA many things that you would love to find on our PES: nice players moves, fair penalty kicks, licensed leagues, a lot of camera options, etc, BUT...

It's far away from PES: too big balls, bubble gum's shirts, fantastic plays every moment, curve ball anytime, etc.

Well, all I hope is a "new" good & old PES...

Regards from Sao Paulo, Brazil...

Rob92,

Never argue with a Brazilian on how football should be played, Rule Number 1. Lol.

Also, with respect, maybe it's time you got your Fifa head out of your ass and actually give PES 2009 a chance. Like Jamezinho quite rightly says, give it a go, forget the all the glitter of Fifa - and if you understand football, as I'm sure you do, you will see what PES offers that FIFA NEVER has. ;0)

There are gamers that like their games to look beautiful and look more realistic than anything else. Then there are footballers that like their respective game to play beautiful and PLAY more realistic than anything else. For me thats the FIFA/PES divide.

And each to their own, just appreciate your game of choice for what it actually is. Also it is a crying shame you cant have Coventry as standard with PES Rob.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the reason why this PES is not hailed like that of the earlier versions of PES is, Konami is moving towards realism in gameplay. When you get closer to gameplay, the games tend to be less exciting and more tactical.

I have played PES 5 and forward. I would say PES 2009 is the most realistic of all. It may not be the most exciting of all because PES 2009 is more about realism in build-up play and on-the-pitch football. If you love realism and the tactical side of the game, you might love PES 2009.

Excellent post and I agree 110%. I went back and played PES5 and PES 6 fully patched up on the PS2. To be honest, there is absolutely no comparison to PES 2009 next gen. Both are not even in the same ball-park. I was actually disappointed on how bad they actually were in comparison. And this coming from someone who has played and owned every single ISS,WE,PES since it's inception. PES2008 was certainly, by a long, long way the worst ever, and an absolute disgrace.

I began playing PES when it was still called International Superstar Soccer.
I wasn't really a football fanatic, until my older nephew got me a PSX demo disc which included a demo of ISS '98.
Brazil vs. France if I remember correctly.
Now this demo was ridiculously awesome!
Played it non stop, for at least 4 weeks until I bought the full game.
After ISS '98 I bought ISS Pro Evolution for the PSX, my last ISS game.
Then I began playing PES, pfff blew me away.
Been playing it ever since.
Nowadays I don't get blown away anymore but I still like PES2009.
When I saw FIFA09 was only 29 Euros, I thought about it for a long time and I did the unthinkable.
I bought a FIFA game (purely based on the better graphics compared to PES). Haven't played a FIFA game since FIFA '99 (Iceman on the front cover).
But I was amazed, it just felt so different compared to PES. Not necessarily better at first but after a while me and my friends just enjoyed it more.
No CPU caused penalties, better animations and sound effects and the facial expressions just move more fluently.
I'm not changing sides because I still love Pro Evolution Soccer but I have to be honest,
this year FIFA just provided us with a far more realistic simulation of the game we all love.
Of course I will be buying PES 2010 in November hoping it will be as awesome as it once was.

Yeah Rob92, if you just give PES 2009 a chance you will clearly see, as my man Jimmy said, that it is so much more realistic than the arcady FIFA 09. I mean the few times I have played FIFA 09 it's basically to get a good laugh about how PES is so superior with PES 09. Like someone else said, if you actually knows anything about football, got a girlfriend, been playing PES for ages - then clearly you would prefer PES 09 the football simulation game numero uno!

I must have been letting 2008 blind me to 2009, I'm going to have to get it again to re check, as guys in here are so sure it's the best PES and far better than FIFA09.
Maybe my deep seated loathing of the ML(spit) fogged my senses...

I must have been letting 2008 blind me to 2009, I'm going to have to get it again to re check, as guys in here are so sure it's the best PES and far better than FIFA09.
Maybe my deep seated loathing of the ML(spit) fogged my senses...

To be honest Nick, I think you have definately mis-judged PES2009. If you have a PS3 get the Von option file, it makes a huge difference to the cosmetics. And the chants are like the good old PS2 days, awesome.

PES 2009 certainly 'trains' you to play football, nothing comes easy anymore, and I can understand why some people may be put off by it. But once you learn the game again, and you need to as it is so very different from all the others to date, the rewards are well worth it. Each player is so unique that they all have a part to play in the team. Utilise their strengths, avoid their weaknesses, and before long you will be playing a real game of football.

There are still some nasty glitches, but the genius still way overides certain technical issues, cheap issues as well may I add.

I play on Xbox 360 and have mine patched through the option file, but it was a ball-ache and cost me a small fortune. All I'm missing is the chants, but I will buy a PS3 just for PES 2010 as the option files are much more accessible.

I have NEVER EVER played a PES or WE as much as I have PES 2009. PES 2008 I played for 2 hours and that was enough. It was pure, pure, shite. I went back to PES 6 for the PS2, but now even that seems pathetic compared to 2009.

As for the ML, my best seasons were when I was fighting for points with Boro, I finished 12th in my first season on regular. Every game was totally different and I had to earn every single point. 7 seasons later and I have built a squad that is pretty much unbeatable on Top Player and the hardest setting on ML.

After 700 hours on the game I'm still seeing new stuff. Mainly because each player is so different, and as they get better stat wise, their touch, vision, shooting, passing, technique etc make them evolve before your eyes. Thats what I love about this game. No game is ever, ever the same. No player plays the same in each game, he can have his off days, or he can have a blinder. Anything is possible.

Last edited:
I'm up for giving it another go and I'll try that OF cheers :TU: , I have played FIFA to death and know its faults inside and out, the MM though for all its simplicity is what keeps me on that side of the fence; I just know no matter how good 2010 is, if the ML(spit) does not have a full league structure, I'm going to stay FIFA side... :PIRATE:

if the ML(spit) does not have a full league structure, I'm going to stay FIFA side... :PIRATE:

I can fully understand that Nick, but the bottom line is, we all want to play a football that makes us think......WOW, how real did that look/feel by the way !!

PES gives me that. Fifa gives me the stunning, spectacular visuals, and beautiful tricks, flicks, licences etc etc. But still it hasnt been back in my console since that day after I bought it. And the reason is that I NEED to feel realism, not just witness it.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried tweaking the game to reduce the pace and agility? If you have not, please do. You'll see that you've got a different game on hand.

Has anyone tried tweaking the game to reduce the pace and agility? If you have not, please do. You'll see that you've got a different game on hand.

I'm playing it with an OF which reduces everything, plays great but the jerky animations and unrealistic body positions are still driving us nuts.

I'm playing it with an OF which reduces everything, plays great but the jerky animations and unrealistic body positions are still driving us nuts.

I hope Konami manage to improve the dribbling and certain movement animations that certainly need rectifying without losing the body angles and geometrical physics that work so well. Sure they dont look smooth, but they do serve their purpose of replicating the many variations required to simulate true footballing physics in every area.

Alot of people moan about the dribbling, movement animations. To be fair to Konami there are many, many fantastic animations that they certainly deserve utmost credit for. And all of which are quick, responsive and instinctive.

For example, the way the players cross the ball with whip, all the various volley, heading, half volley etc animations that correspond to the players current body angle, height of the ball, players technique etc. Only by hammering the game to death with different teams and different players will you see the depth and plethora of superb animations that replicate the current situation. I have seen some crazy, crazy shit, and it's not animations that I have activated by pressing certain buttons, they are animations recreated due to the technique of the player involved. It's natural. That sort of care to detail physics wise is what I love about PES 2009.

Also, the one you may see on Youtube with Ronny when he charges into the box and the ball is played behind him, and because of his technique he improvises and scores with his heel by flicking the ball over his shoulder. Beautiful animations that only appear when the situation arises.

Yes I would love to see smoother animations in certain situations, but not if it compromises the instinctive, highly responsive nature of PES. I dont want a half second delay just so it looks good.

Another tip, the R2 button on PES 2009 plays a huge role when used properly. And I dont mean for the stepovers, but by using it to get the ball into your feet. With high technique players the moves using the left stick off R2 are endless. You can beat a man like in real life with the simple drop of the shoulder and excellent timing, and so many more ways. Instead of pressing a 'skill button' and flicking the ball over your head, down your arm, off your calf, back over head, roll it off your nose, do an 'Around the world' followed by a flip-flap, a 360 and beating a man without ever losing control of the ball. If you know what I mean. ;0)

Last edited:
I'm going to get 2009 again today and just go with the flow. When it originally came out I was so disappointed, 9 months have passed now and I might as well give it another try.

I bought PES5 a few months ago but I hardly play it because the pace of the game is ruined when playing on a HDTV. Its been so long since I played PES 2008 regularly that I forget some buttons when I was playing the 2009 demo.

I'm going to get 2009 again today and just go with the flow. When it originally came out I was so disappointed, 9 months have passed now and I might as well give it another try.

I bought PES5 a few months ago but I hardly play it because the pace of the game is ruined when playing on a HDTV. Its been so long since I played PES 2008 regularly that I forget some buttons when I was playing the 2009 demo.

Just put aside (if you can) the fact that the animations are poor and the keepers spill everything and there is certainly some classic PES to be had here.

I tried the ManU Liverpool thing and it was better, but still some bad animations. I just hope that PES 2010 is the way is was leaked to be. Though it won't.

the keepers spill everything.

I dont really have any issues with the keepers bud at all. Then again I play mainly on ML and my Italian keeper has 94 for GK skills and 92 for reaction. He is awesome and very, very reliable. If anything, too reliable.

It's a major problem with the game for me. I find that they spill every other shot out in front of them which sometimes leaves an easy tap-in, but I think they can be quite poor in general. Sometimes it seems like the ball goes straight through them. Of course, these things happen in real-life but far too often in PES2009.

Agreed Jamezinho but I have to admit if it was between the keepers being a bit stupid and between them being unbeatable from certain positions (and superhuman in others) I'd prefer the former. It's nice to see them dumbstruck by a good hard shot now and then.

PES5 seemed to have that spot on (as it did with most things) - you could hit shots which purely beat the keeper for pace or hit not so powerful shots out of the keeper's reach or a spectacular combination of the two :).

There was almost no position you couldn't score from, it was worth a dig no matter where you were, especially first time or on the volley - the sooner another football game gives you that feeling the better, on every game before and after it there's been certain positions you know a shot will be a complete failure or the keeper will definitely save it.

I know I may come across as a bit of a FIFA whore sometimes with all my bashing of PES 09, but my favourite (1v1) football game by a long way is still PES5.

Back
Top Bottom