Pro Evo Old School Die-Hards ..................

Jimmy G-Force

Resident PES Fanman
13 April 2003
Newcastle
Middlesbrough F.C.
I was just wondering exactly how many of us there are actually left these days ?

I can see that alot of the 'Old Pro Evo' boys have switched to Fifa. I've been a member on here for a long time, patched more WE, Pro Evo games than I care to remember over the years. And all for one reason, for me, Pro Evo has been and still is, in my opinion, the most realistic football game out there.

I'm fully aware of how far Fifa has come over the years, and Fifa 09 looks awesome. I have played it to see what all the fuss is about but still cant get away with the physics of the game. It looks a million dollars, fully licenced as it always has been, and has some amazing animations and features that I would love to see in Pro Evo. But the bottom line is, I still dont like it.

I'm 35 and have been playing Football games ever since day one. The last Fifa I owned was the 1st on the N64 whilst I waited for ISS. Never had a megadrive, was Snes and an Amiga boy. And whilst I'm the 1st to admit that Pro Evo 2008 on the PS3 was horrific ( I played PES 6 fully patched on the PS2 instead ) I think this years Pro Evo is brilliant. Yes it has its flaws, but overall I personally find it more realistic and one of the best I have ever played. I was addicted to the BAL mode like I have never been addicted to a game in my life. I've just started a Masterleague and I'm loving it. I play with the Boro and feel like every player is unique, and it really feels like Boro, very hard, but very rewarding. I think you really need to think about the football you play in this version. Passes need to be aimed and the stats of the players really contribute to the realism. The likes of Downing, Tuncay and Alves stand out as my star players as they would in real life. I dont see that in Fifa to the same extent.

Fifa has so much going for it, but for some reason I dont think the AI is anywhere near PES. It all feels very scripted in Fifa and I've tried it on all settings, manual passing, semi shooting etc etc. I've even questioned myself, am I wrong ? but the bottom line is I will play PES all day long but even with all the bells and whistles Fifa has I cant seem to enjoy it.

I guess its all down to opinion. My mate who has also been a massive Pro Evo Fan over the years got Fifa 09 with his PS3 ( His girlfriend thought he played Fifa and not Pro Evo so got him it by mistake) and he swears by Fifa 09 now. He is trying to convince me its much better but even after 5 hours playing it with him just to shut him up, I still cant get away with it. My mate loves his football games but doesnt play football in real life and never really watches a game. We are constantly arguing over which is the better game to the point where we now have to agree to disagree. I know my football,I was at Nottingham Forest as a kid when Cloughie was manager and played semi-pro for years. He on the other hand doesnt play at all. So I guess as far as realism goes I feel I'm better equipped to judge than him between the two games.

I know its the biggest debate in football game history, and its not something I really want to drag up and make yet another thread about which is better between Fifa and PES, but I do see many old school Pro Evo patching boys on here have made the switch.

I personally think the instinctive shooting on Pro Evo is much better and more realistic, all based on your body shape, height of the ball, players ability etc etc. I also think the movement off the ball by the CPU players is better. I think the ball pings more realistically in Pro Evo, although admittedly it does look very smooth and beautiful in Fifa.

I think for me the bottom line is Fifa has everything, graphics, commentary, authenticity, superb presentation etc etc. When you watch it being played it with the tricks and all it can look like the beautiful game at its very best. The Brazil team of the 70's if you like. Fifa shows everything that is visually stunning about Football, but for me lacks the real physics, player individuality and the rawness of a real game. Real football 80% of the time isnt pretty, very rarely do you see players pull off or even attempt crazy tricks in real games. They darent, they get hammered by team-mates and their Gaffer if it doesnt come off. Showboating happens very rarely, in Fifa its very easy to pull off, in PES its very difficult, and for me thats how it should be.

Anyway, I've said my piece, I'm loving PES, my mate is loving Fifa and I never thought I'd be saying that.

I dont want to start a slanging match here, just wondered why some of the old school Pro Evo guys that have switched to Fifa when I cant seem to love it no matter how much I try ??? To me personally Fifa is a classic example of how not everything that glitters is gold. Just my 2 cents and I respect everyones own opinion on how they find the two games, even if I dont agree with them.

Last edited:
i actually moved away completely from football games...the games of today don't seem capable of offering the fun and excitement i had with all those good old games on psx and ps2. it's really sad.

Moving over to fifa is something i could never do. that to me would be like changing your football team!

remember this...

You are born with a football team and a name
you can change your name if you like but a true fan will never change their team no matter how greener the grass on the other side of the stadium!

also my brothers always been into fifa on his 360 more but when he saw my fully patch pes on the pc the other day he looked blown away! even though he'd never admit to it

Last edited:
I tried FIFA for BAP mode, I went back to PES09 for the same reasons. PES still plays better, it's more responsive and rewards skillful play. However I fear for PES2010..because FIFA is going to revolutionize online play very soon with fixed mode (09 was just laying the foundations) and I am PISSED OFF at Seabass because he still hasn't made good on his 11 v 11 promise and PES is being left behind in the ONLINE stakes.

I have been playin PES for many years, the 1st being ISS Pro on N64. I still remember going to the video store to rent FIFA but it wasnt available but i settled for the unknown ISS instead, and i havent looked back since.
Although with PES 2008 on PS3 being so awful, i bought FIFA 08 and was very impressed with the leaps and bounds they have crossed over the years! After FIFA i bought EURO 08 which for me was an improvement of FIFA.
PES 2009: i like it, its definitely better than 08 but still has it flaws. I think it's enjoyable to play just like PES 6 was. I've also bought FIFA 09 and i just have to say... job well done EA Sports. It also is an improvement of the previous version and the ADIDAS live season updates has really impressed me, just like UEFA Champions League on PES has.
I bought a PS3 not only because i am a gaming fanatic and because ive always loved Playstations over the XBOX, Nintendo's, etc.. but also because i was so looking forward to testing my skills online against others from around the world. FIFA online is just flawless and the FIFA World Cup is very intriguing.
I remember PES 08 online and after playing it once or twice i just couldnt touch the game again. I havent played PES 09 online yet but i hear it has been improved but there is still known to be some lag.
In conclusion, i enjoy playing both games, i think they are both very realistic but ive found im playing FIFA more simply because im always playing online. PES for me is more enjoyable playing with friends, and my friends are also hardcore PES fans, but FIFA haters!

I have both and i think a mix of both games would be ideal.
I have to admit i play more FIFA these days.
The man who started this thread was talking of a fully patched PES version and that is what i'm getting tired of. When you buy a game it should be finished...i don't mind the licenses (but with the money Konami made they shoudl have got more licenses). The last years one had to rweakthe gameplay aswelll.
What annoys me most is that Konami don't listen to their customers.
And last i'm tired of the cheating AI... i don't mind loosing against the CPU but i want to loose fair and square not after a mtch where i got 70% of possession and the other team scores a goal with their only shot on goal from an impossible angle.
On the other hand FIFA09 is brilliant but i miss the individual "feel" of the players and the teams which are so good in PES. I also think in PES09 the graphics are better.

i've been playing since the Snes days and have just got the new WE2009 for PS/2, cant be bothered getting a 360 or PS3 till a decent version comes out for them, plus its hard to get 4 mates round for a good session since everyone started having kids.... but I still cant bring myself to play FIFA

@ Jimmy G Force: Great post mate, my feelings exactly. I'm still Pro Evo, I just can't see eye to eye with FIFA. I'd second all of your points, particularly about how 80% of football is mistakes, failed attacks and grit. It's for that reason that finally scoring a goal is so precious.

For me, another factor which grates about FIFA is the player stats. They are there in FIFA '09, but it's almost like they're apologetically buried in the formation screen. In Pro Evo the stats are big, bold and in your face with colour coding for 75+, 80+, 90+ and 95+. These are instantly recognisable and you can really feel the difference between the numbers. FIFA's by comparison feel a bit wooly; an overall 'skill' number which just seems too blunt for me. Yes there are other numbers, but they just don't seem to be as recognisable as in Pro. This explains a lot of why Pro has always had that player individuality bang on.

While it's true that the Master League is functionally the same as it's been for a few years, the addition of player happiness has made much more of a difference that I thought it would. For the first time, I've been forced to buy average players and slowly build my way up to buying stars. While in theory this was always supposed to be true, there were ways to abuse the system and get some superstars on the cheap. This year I had to make do with loan signings while I was in Div 2 and poach the (marginally) better players from the other Div 2 clubs. That's how it should be though IMO, and as a result this has been my most enjoyable Master League team; precisely because they're not all superstars, I have some utility players and rough diamonds in there too.

PES '09 isn't perfect by any stretch, the online mode in particular is a waste of time. Overall FIFA just doesn't do the things I want from a football game, and Pro still does enough for me. I really hope PES '10 continues in the gradual improvement and gets the series back to the heights of PES 5, albeit in true next gen fashion.

Last edited:
@Jimmy G-Force great post dude ;)
I am 26 years and the first encounter of the Konami football game in 1996 with ISS Delux for SEGA GENESIS. Plays a major football games. If you need to list them it would be huge, it appears and FIFA.
I am an administrator of several sites for FIFA and PES. I led one million dispute related to the PES vs FIFA. Over the years it was easy to defend PES because FIFA looked like an incompetent tetris compared with PES. But in the last two years I try not to go in such disputes because PES made a huge step backward. PES is still a good game but if PES 2010 has no such radical changes will be in FIFA 2010 does not wait anything good.
I do not want to say a big word, because one never knows but never became a FIFA fan. I would rather die. If Konami does not make a better game from then PES 6 , I will played PES 6 in my whole life instead of playing FIFA X . But I believe PES 2010 will be that all we want and wait;)

@ Jimmy G Force: Great post mate, my feelings exactly. I'm still Pro Evo, I just can't see eye to eye with FIFA. I'd second all of your points, particularly about how 80% of football is mistakes, failed attacks and grit. It's for that reason that finally scoring a goal is so precious.

For me, another factor which grates about FIFA is the player stats. They are there in FIFA '09, but it's almost like they're apologetically buried in the formation screen. In Pro Evo the stats are big, bold and in your face with colour coding for 75+, 80+, 90+ and 95+. These are instantly recognisable and you can really feel the difference between the numbers. FIFA's by comparison feel a bit wooly; an overall 'skill' number which just seems too blunt for me. Yes there are other numbers, but they just don't seem to be as recognisable as in Pro. This explains a lot of why Pro has always had that player individuality bang on.

While it's true that the Master League is functionally the same as it's been for a few years, the addition of player happiness has made much more of a difference that I thought it would. For the first time, I've been forced to buy average players and slowly build my way up to buying stars. While in theory this was always supposed to be true, there were ways to abuse the system and get some superstars on the cheap. This year I had to make do with loan signings while I was in Div 2 and poach the (marginally) better players from the other Div 2 clubs. That's how it should be though IMO, and as a result this has been my most enjoyable Master League team; precisely because they're not all superstars, I have some utility players and rough diamonds in there too.

PES '09 isn't perfect by any stretch, the online mode in particular is a waste of time. Overall FIFA just doesn't do the things I want from a football game, and Pro still does enough for me. I really hope PES '10 continues in the gradual improvement and gets the series back to the heights of PES 5, albeit in true next gen fashion.

I thought you would feel the same. ;0)

Check out a player called Gambino, I bought him for a snip at 17 years old, you can find him in the quick players section of the transfers. He has 90 speed and cant shoot but I play him on the wing. The kid is gonna become a superstar in my ML when he gets older. ;0)

For realism, I'm currently lying 12th in the Premier league and really battling for survival. I beat Man Utd then lost to Wigan and West Brom by the odd goal. Boro to a tee. Lol.

Last edited:
Nice thread Jimmy!
I'm also a veteran in here. Footie games and I go way back. I'm 28 now and my first game was 1985's Konami Soccer on the MSX. Anyone remembers that? For those who don't, that's Pro Evo's grandfather ;)
Anyways, I had no favorites for many years until FIFA appeared for the Mega Drive/Sega Genesis in 1994. Then played '95, hated '96 on Genesis, but LOVED it on the PC. '97 was rubbish and '98 was a great game (the best FIFA for many years). By then, I'd played a few ISSs along the way and enjoyed. But nothing too special. FIFA 99 sucked big time and that was enough for me to seek a new title. That's when Winning Eleven J-League 3 magically appeared in my life :)
The passing and realism were at a new stage. I didn't even care that the game was in japanese and I didn't know those teams. I became an addict and never dropped WE/PES since.

I share your opinion on FIFA nowadays. It evolved impressively in many ways but I simply can't bring myself to make the switch. I simply can't control it the way I want and playing against the CPU is disappointing. On the other hand, FIFA on multiplayer is great and I had lots of fun playing with my mates. But that's about it for me. For a committed single player experience (ML and BAL) I'd go for PES anyday.

The thing is, Seabass doesn't seem concerned with the game's features and that upsets really bad. They don't listen to their fans, like someone posted. And when it comes to features (not talking about licences here) Konami is still miles behind EA.

Moving over to fifa is something i could never do. that to me would be like changing your football team!

remember this...

You are born with a football team and a name
you can change your name if you like but a true fan will never change their team no matter how greener the grass on the other side of the stadium!

also my brothers always been into fifa on his 360 more but when he saw my fully patch pes on the pc the other day he looked blown away! even though he'd never admit to it

How about just playing the better game? Be objective. Konami doesnt pay you. PES4 is my alltime fave footy title but Ive moved on. IMO, Fifa 09 stomps PES 09 deep into the ground. There's no turning back....only if Konami does something great next year which I doubt. I have no trouble switching over back and forth since I look for the best option. IMO< PES is dated, feels dated with its robotic choppy running, unrealistic physics, ball thumps, etc. IMO< PES = Original SONY walkman, FIFA = ipod. You move with the times or get left behind. It's obvious among objective fans that PES lost its crown big time. Im sorry but Im not gonna be loyal to a corporation especially when the product is inferior and when it doesnt listen to its fan base. IMO, KOnami need a brand new team for PES. Out with Seabas. They need new talent, innovation, energy, enthusiasm, engine. Fifa embraced new technology fully while PES hasn't. Then you look at the online modes fifa has, features, etc. But a huge difference in both games has to be the animation. Fifa has outstanding animations and takes momentum into account ...which PES doesnt. Fifa is a sim while PES is arcady. Used to be the other way around. Im sorry, I dont mean to offend anyone here but Fifa has turned into the choice for footy gamers. Better rated than PES for lots of reasons. If you want, I can post links to gamerankings.com, metacritic.com, gamefaqs.com, etc. There you can see compiled reviews, averaged reviews of hundreds of reviews. Im not making this up. Fifa is king now. For those not digging Fifa 09 gameplay, it may be cause you are trying to play it like PES. I know old habits are hard to break but trust me, it's worth it.

I have to say in all honestly, I can't hold back. Those who stick with PES no matter how much they are dissapointed, are crazy. Why on earth would you do that? What if Konami inserted a turd in next years box? Would you like it?

Jimmy, btw, you're post is great. I fully respect the objectivity in it. Great post man!

Last edited:
@ BwA Spectre: For me loyalty doesn't come into it at all. It's nothing to do with some undying love for Konami (the rest of their games are average IMO). I could not agree with you more when you say that brand loyalty is a waste of time. I'm only interested in what I feel is the best football experience out there, and for me it's not FIFA '09.

I hated PES '08; bought it, tried my best with it but in the end traded it for Euro 2008. I genuinely feel '09 is much better, but a lot of people have a lingering sour taste from '08 and so are (understandably perhaps) quick to judge.

Your analogy with Sony Walkman and iPod is interesting but it's a bit too blunt for me. IMO it's more like Apple macs or PCs. They both have their fans, one iteration tends to be more popular than the other at any one time, but that's it isn't it? Personal preference?

Righto...been reading a couple of threads here regarding the FIFA vs. PES debate...and here's what I think.

First of all..I've been playing footie games ever since the Atari..then moving on to SNES...N64..PS1...PS2...and NOW...I just got the PS3. I play football professionally and have been playing professionally for over 15 years...and I'm a footie freak aswell. For the games.

Just to let u know with my progression of games played...look on below:

SNES days: International Superstar Soccer

1996: The first FIFA game I truly played on the PC plus playing ISS on SNES

N64: ISS 64...no FIFA at all

From 97 till 2003: A MAJOR FIFA fan..up until FIFA 2003...the last FIFA I played. I began toying with PS1 WE in late 2002...then I got totally addicted to WE and left FIFA for it.

PS2: Totally hooked on PS2 WE and PES since WE6:FE, just tried FIFA 2003 like 2 games and totally left it behind...been a MASSSSIVE AND UNBEATABLE :p WE and PES fan till PES 2009 on the PS2.

PS3: I just bought a PS3...and the first game I played there was PES 2008..then FIFA 09

Now on to my reactions...

Well..I didn't like PES 2008 at all...and got back to PES 2009 with patches on the PS2 the next day..I felt yes..the graphics were a leap up from the PS2...but the gameplay was horrendous!! It totally reminded me of WE7 on the PS2 and some older FIFA games..with players movement with the ball turning robotic. The overall passing physics was similar to the PS2 versions so no complaints there.

As for FIFA 09..I couldn't believe the hype surrounding it..and being a totally converted WE and PES fanatic..I didn't want to get back to the "FIFA" ways..but I said what the hell..let's see what all the fuss is about! When I slotted it in..the presentations..etc..were quite "FIFA" tbh..so I wasn't that impressed..but when I started my first game (after changing the control scheme to a PES one), I was hooked on! Loved the game looked with most of the players resembling their real life counterparts..yes..I can use Berbatov for hold up play..and Evra real takes on forward runs down the left. I used to do practically anything I wanted with Ronaldo in any PES game..dribbling past whole teams...but now..FIFA's Ronaldo can get past a player or two maximum...and I HAVE TO start passing...or shooting for that matter. I also love the manual passing...u can sling in passes together and really think up plays... . The problem though I found with FIFA...sometimes the players feel a bit sluggish..though its leaps and bounds from the last FIFA i played (FIFA 2003)

I didn't get a chance to play PES 2009 on the PS3..but as for now...I'm sticking to FIFA 09 on the PS3...while playing PES on the PS2.

Cheers

@ BwA Spectre: For me loyalty doesn't come into it at all. It's nothing to do with some undying love for Konami (the rest of their games are average IMO). I could not agree with you more when you say that brand loyalty is a waste of time. I'm only interested in what I feel is the best football experience out there, and for me it's not FIFA '09.

I hated PES '08; bought it, tried my best with it but in the end traded it for Euro 2008. I genuinely feel '09 is much better, but a lot of people have a lingering sour taste from '08 and so are (understandably perhaps) quick to judge.

Your analogy with Sony Walkman and iPod is interesting but it's a bit too blunt for me. IMO it's more like Apple macs or PCs. They both have their fans, one iteration tends to be more popular than the other at any one time, but that's it isn't it? Personal preference?

My analogy was to point out technical advances, non advances. Meaning that one company has embraced the PS3, 360 hardware, along with coming out with new features, game modes, and overall just forward thinking. Then there's the game engine... In this regard I think my analogy is appropriate. You seem to be objective. I know and understand that for some, Fifa isn't preferred for decent reasons. I just don't understand those that say "Iwill never give in to EA/The darkside" etc. I just don't understand it. I don't understand corporation loyalty. Im gonna play the better product. I can care less who makes it. It's my enjoyment at stake. I hope Konami come back strong, I would have no problem playing PES again. In fact I welcome it. The problem I see is that they have to step it up in a huge way. Huge. I just don't see a revolution at Konami that would put out an outstanding PES. Then EA would have to totally faulter. I don't know what the chances of that are. From 07 -09 Fifa has advanced in leaps and bounds. There is no indication whatsoever that they will regress at this point. If anything, by the current trend, Fifa 2010 will be even better than 09, much better, just like 09 is wayyy better than 08. IMO, PES will be further left behind next year. Just look at PES' fanbase this year compared to years ago. Many have switched over for obvious reasons. I played PES 09 and thought it was lame and very amateurish. Everything from player animations, to ball thumps, to presentation, etc. I just can't do it. I also don't understand how some think it's superior to Fifa but Konami is lucky to have those people on board. In the end, it's clear. Konami need new direction, new team. They need passionate people at the helm. Look at Seabass interviews. The guy is as stagnant and unenthusisastic as his product. PES is areflection of the people behind the scenes, imo. And little simple things such as menus, music, audio overall. There is no reason why a "next gen" game should sound and look like a 5th grade arts and crafts project. It's all these little things that snowball and make PES feel and look dated and amateurish imo. All imo only of course. I don't mean to offend anyone.

I just don't understand those that say "Iwill never give in to EA/The darkside" etc. I just don't understand it. I don't understand corporation loyalty. Im gonna play the better product. I can care less who makes it. It's my enjoyment at stake.

Agreed. I suppose it's the very nature of the sport that PES & FIFA attempt to emulate; football is an intrinsically partisan sport and as a result these rival videogames inspire partisanship amongst their respective followers which apes football itself.

Ultimately I can't really disagree with what you say as it's your opinion, just as I couldn't disagree if you didn't like the same type of music as me. It's totally subjective.

I will say however, that something I've always been very wary of is highlighting technical advances (both graphical and mechanical) as a reason for superiority. A more technically advanced game does not necessarily translate into a better playing experience. Because that's what we're talking about at the end of the day; playing.

Virtua Fighter 5 is an unquestionably more advanced game than Street Fighter II Turbo, but I know which one I would rather play. Again, personal preference, but my point is personal preference will always loom when you're talking about judging a videogame, or anything designed for personal enjoyment.

Toaster A may make toast 5 times quicker than toaster B. That makes Toaster A a superior product. But, painting A may contain 256 colours while painting B has only 8. That doesn't make painting A a superior product.

Hope this still reads objectively.

I'm definately an evo die-hard who hasn't joined the legions who've switched to fifa 09. I actually enjoy pes 09 both online and offline and am able to enjoy some great games online with minimal lag. I've been playing Konami's game since the snes days and can't convert to fifa at this moment in time. One niggle is that some of the passes seem scripted and they "find" players that you had no intention of picking out - other than that, i'm happy with PES 09.

Been here a long time, and have to say I still like my Evo over FIFA. Have both for my PS3 and haven't touched FIFA in ages.

Still seems a bit crap to me. There are nice touches like the celebrations and the skill moves, but actually not too keen on the game. Also seems a tad easy.

FD

Agreed. I suppose it's the very nature of the sport that PES & FIFA attempt to emulate; football is an intrinsically partisan sport and as a result these rival videogames inspire partisanship amongst their respective followers which apes football itself.

Ultimately I can't really disagree with what you say as it's your opinion, just as I couldn't disagree if you didn't like the same type of music as me. It's totally subjective.

I will say however, that something I've always been very wary of is highlighting technical advances (both graphical and mechanical) as a reason for superiority. A more technically advanced game does not necessarily translate into a better playing experience. Because that's what we're talking about at the end of the day; playing.

Virtua Fighter 5 is an unquestionably more advanced game than Street Fighter II Turbo, but I know which one I would rather play. Again, personal preference, but my point is personal preference will always loom when you're talking about judging a videogame, or anything designed for personal enjoyment.

Toaster A may make toast 5 times quicker than toaster B. That makes Toaster A a superior product. But, painting A may contain 256 colours while painting B has only 8. That doesn't make painting A a superior product.

Hope this still reads objectively.

Good post...but technological advancement in electrnics do make it better. Look at satellite, cable tv throughout the years. Look at the vcr compared to dvd. The vinyl compared to digital, look at the commodore 64 compared to the newest imac. The hardware, in any electronics, allows for the designer to do more, better, bigger things. In this case, the Fifa team did just that while Konami have done nothing. etc., etc. Technological superiority allows for realistic animations which pretty much helps gameplay. Technological superiority also allows you to be immersed into the world of football. such things as ball thumps, crowd chants, etc. as well as reqalistic graphics all help get us into the mood and atmosphere. Really, would you rather watch a wc game on a black and white 13" tv or on a 1080p HD set? Presentation counts for something too. Theres no question that superior audio, gameplay, graphics are all intrical to the authentic experience. If not, wed all be playing games from 1982 and there would be no need or interest in the 360, ps3, pc at all. Besides, don't anyone want to play a different game every year instead of a few tweaks here and there?

Clearly to some, technological advancement isn't always better which was the whole point of Joystick's post.
Like an Audiophile who still prefers vinyl, I still prefer the gameplay of Pro.

Clearly to some, technological advancement isn't always better which was the whole point of Joystick's post.
Like an Audiophile who still prefers vinyl, I still prefer the gameplay of Pro.

Just out of curiosity, are you happy with Konami's 2nd attempt on next gen hardware? Or is it 3rd? I forgot. The animations? The transition to arcady? Audio? Online experience? IMO, I think some people are just in habits. Anything new or anything that requires learning, getting acquainted with isn't worth the hassle, time. Some people also like to cling on to the past. Not sayin youre like this.

Last edited:
People are creatures of habit, that's for sure, but when it comes to games I wouldn't stick with a game out of loyalty if it was bad.
In fact, I couldn't imagine anyone doing this, I'd like to know who these "some people" are.

All I know is I still prefer Pro Evo's gameplay, and I'll leave it to others to debate the finer details.

I must admit, over the years, and more so this year, I have had a little peak at the threads regarding the 'great debate'. I have to say that this is probably the most 'adult' debate I've read on here yet. Fair play to every contributor. ;0)

I personally like the audio on PES 2009, especially the music. The commentary will be always be far superior on Fifa. The day I patched my PES 6 with the Clive Tyldesley Fifa patch was like a dream finally realised. It was nothing short of genius, and certainly added immenseley to my overall enjoyment of what was a superbly patched game.

In a way I so wish I could enjoy Fifa, it has everything I want and so much more. Unfortunately I cant, it just isnt what I perceive the game of football to be. Forsure its getting closer, and when I played the 09 demo I actually thought for the first 5 minutes, this is impressive. Then the old failings came back, albeit well disguised.

The shooting for me just didnt feel real, and when I did score a cracking goal ( from close range) there was no sense of euphoria or real achievement for me. Trying shots from different angles with different players certainly didnt have the individualism, physics or realism of PES 09. The ball seemed to balloon over the bar far too many times in exactly the same way. I could never seem to drill the ball hard and low from distance either, no matter how often I tried, and with the best players.

I have always played Pro Evo on the PS1/PS2 but bought an Xbox 360 and played all other games online with that. I bought my son a PS3 and contemplated buying myself one for PES 2009. But after playing both versions of PES 2009 on both systems side by side, I played 8 games of each, alternating to see if there was much difference between the two, and whether I could get to grips with the analougue stick on the 360 for a football game. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be playing PES on any other console but a Playstation with its trusty, comfortable D-pad, but for the sake of £300 for a PS3 I stuck with the Xbox 360 version and I'm loving it. It does frustate me at times that I cant always get the angle I want on the analougue stick but I am getting better with time.

I also ended up spending £30 on a Xbox Live Camera to help me make own kits. Another £30 on a memory card, and £20 on a Datel data transfer kit so I could add the excellent Xbox 360 PES 2009 patch. Yes it was alot of money and a big headache to initiate compared to my previous PS1/PS2 patching experiences. I know the Fifa fans will state that I shouldnt have to be doing this as Fifa already has this all built into its game already. But for me it was worth the money, and testament to the fact that Pro Evo, regardless of its flaws, for me personally is my football game of choice.

Also, just to add, I couldnt stop playing the PES 2009 demo, I played it for 8 hours at a time, couldnt get off the bloody thing, and I thought my days of football game addiction had gone. I was wrong. And I've never been so happy to be so wrong. ;0)

( The Ref say's ' Play on ' ............. )

Last edited:
Jimmy, see, I respect your reasons. I couldnt disagree more but still, I respect them. My whole point was aimed at people who don't switch over because EA is "evil". You know...those people that signed a pact with Konami to be their loyal customers no matter what. Those people who refuse to try a new game of footy cause theyll feel like hypocrits since they bad mouthed EA for yearssssss. Now, I'm not here to defend EA and I wasn't always an EA fan but truth be told, they have emerged as a quality quality developer, publisher. Titles such as Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, NHL 09 (took the crown away from NHL 2K9), NBA LIve, etc. They are finally putting tohether some kick @ss games and that has to be recognized.

I am curious as to how many fans PES has lost. They lost me last year as they turned out an abysmal ga,e. I was amped to see what a PES would look and play like on my 360 and was disgusted. Now this year it's more of the same. For me, it's game over. Lets see what they do next year. Ill be more than willing to play PES again.

BTW, johnny, don't sweat the editing. That was one of my favorite things to do. I used to create custom teams. Used to make the logos, uniforms, name them after neighborhoods, etc. I spent hourssss upon hoursss. In fact I probably spent half my time designing. I loved it and it's the reason I hoped Konami would lose licenses. I don't care for the licenses too much. I like to make the game my own. I miss that. In Fifa, you can't do that. It sux.

Also, I was a Playstation owner (1,2) but switched over to the 360 (cause of it's game library and superior online service). I gotta say, I love the 360 controller. Love it even more than I loved the PS2 controller. The original Xbox controller was absolute junk but this one is sweet. It's perfect for shooters too. I like the weight of it (I have big hands), I think it's perfect. Now when I play with a PS controller, it feels too small and light and I don't like it.

Last edited:
ive been with here a long time back in the ISS98 days on the N64. I think F**A is made for kids :)

ive been with here a long time back in the ISS98 days on the N64. I think F**A is made for kids :)

This thread was going the right direction mate. Lets not take it the opposite direction and then lead to flaming etc ;)

Lets keep this thread clean and no need for immaturity. Saying "I think F**A is made for kids :)" isn't welcome in here.

Back
Top Bottom