Pro Evo Old School Die-Hards ..................

Tbh I can't get over the awful scripted passing in PES2009. Really getting on my tits now.

They seriously need to fix this for PES2010. Actually get rid of everything scripted.

Hello everybody. It's been a while since I last posted, but it's nice to see all the familiar usernames.

I think the game has stagnated, but I still cannot stop playing, but I'll admit I've been playing it less now than in the past. I remember when nearly each new version added some sort of new game mechanic that was actually useful, even the Final Evolution versions. I hope they actually do something with the game mechanics itself that new or at least refine it.

I'm really considering getting 09 on the Wii, as it's the only footie game that looks interesting out there.

i play PES / WE back since PS1 when the title is : International Superstar Soccer Pro around 96-97 i think, the last FIFA game i play was FIFA'98 until recently after hearing so much hype about FIFA'09 i manage to rent one, and you know what....? i play it vs cpu and with my friend and the game is only on my PS3 for about an hour....

naaaaahhhh, WE /PES is still a footie game for me. ;)

Hooked up my PS2 yesteday afternoon, intend on working my way through the following WE 6 FE champions league and also UK Evo evolution, WE 8 J-League, WE 8 LW and WE 9 and also WE10 J-league. So far only spent 20 minutes on WE8 LW, it's head and shoulders above PES2009 on PS3!!! Can't believe how they can go so far backwards, intend to try them all over the next couple of weeks, find a winner and stick with that, so what if kits and squads are out of date, isn't it the gameplay that is the be all and end all????

pes3,4,5,6 are still way better than so called Next Gen Crap.

1vcCPU i'd say WE9 LEK, multiplayer and 2v2 i'd say pes6.

Very nice read through m8. Couldnt agree more.
PES is pure simulation, FIFA will always be the arcade.
But still, why does konami have to destroy the controller layout with every version? in 2009 my player is often doing the roulette while im just using the standard controller for moving around. I would really like to meet these guys in the konami department who does controller mapping. I also hate R1 being both run and letting the ball thru at the same time, so when i wanna rush as i get the ball, he jumps over it instead. But also, PES is SO much about timing, reactions, reading other players..just like real football. Every match in PES lives and breaths its own life.
Once i score i forget all the annoyances i had ;) It really does feels that rewarding.
And Be a Legend is amazing imo, all it takes is patience. And damn it pays off once you get hooked in.

Very nice read through m8. Couldnt agree more.
PES is pure simulation, FIFA will always be the arcade.
But still, why does konami have to destroy the controller layout with every version? in 2009 my player is often doing the roulette while im just using the standard controller for moving around. I would really like to meet these guys in the konami department who does controller mapping. I also hate R1 being both run and letting the ball thru at the same time, so when i wanna rush as i get the ball, he jumps over it instead. But also, PES is SO much about timing, reactions, reading other players..just like real football. Every match in PES lives and breaths its own life.
Once i score i forget all the annoyances i had ;) It really does feels that rewarding.
And Be a Legend is amazing imo, all it takes is patience. And damn it pays off once you get hooked in.

In my opinion that is an excellent post, and I agree 110% in everything you have said.

Just for the record, the overwhelming curiousity got the better of me, and two weeks ago I actually picked up a pre-owned copy of Fifa 09 for the Xbox 360 for £25. I needed to know 100% in my mind whether or not it actually was the better game. Only by actually purchasing it, and playing the full game would I be able to make an accurate and unbiased opinion.

My findings are as follows .......

Firstly, without a shadow of a doubt, they are two completely different games, both taken from a completely different angle. And this echo's what Joystick has written earlier, he hit the nail right on the head.

I think if you want to play football that looks beautiful and looks realistic then Fifa will give you everything you need. If you want to play football that plays realistic then PES is the one.

I really do believe that both games can be enjoyed in different ways, and enjoyed for what they are. I dont honestly think you can really compare them against each other because they approach the game from different angles.

I agree 100% that Fifa is the more arcade game, whilst PES is the pure simulation, regardless of Fifa's manual and semi assisted options that in my opinion dont really work as well as I'd hoped.

The reason why I say PES is the definitive simulation is because everything in the game is based on true life technique. It simulates real football.It's all about timing, balance, angles and more than anything, individual statistics that really do count for everything. I feel with PES that it mimic's real life technique in a way that Fifa doesnt even attempt to. Which is good, because Fifa gives you an alternative option and its own spin on its gameplay. Both are very rewarding, yet both are very different.

Fifa for me concentrates alot on how the game looks, and it does look a million dollars. All the moves, tricks etc, although very arcade like, do look very impressive. PES tricks are alot harder to master and require technical movements that mimic the real life technique required to pull the moves off. Fifa in this department looks better, but for me PES plays better.

The shooting and striking of the ball on Pro Evo always gives you the confidence that if you time the shot correct, judge the right angle, balance, correct foot, and with a player with decent technique, you get exactly what you would expect. With so many different animations relevant to exactly how you catch the ball. Fifa doesnt really require the same timing at all, and the finesse shot is a perfect example of how Fifa's shooting is made to look good without needing the real life technique to pull the shot off.

Anyway I could go on forever, its about what you prefer. I like Fifa for what it does, but I prefer the realism and individuality of PES. For me in PES as Tykjen quite rightly says, every game breathes its own life, all 22 players on the pitch are completely unique, all individuals, and because of this, anything can happen.

Also, I dug out my old PS2 and played my superpatched version of PES6 just to see how the gameplay differed from PES 2009 on Xbox 360. The difference was massive. I couldnt believe just how easy it was to pass on PES 6. After spending so much time on PES2009, and having to really aim your passes, PES 6 seemed far too easy. In PES2009 you need to pick the right type of pass, whether that be a prolonged press pass, manual, through ball, hard through ball, manual high through ball etc etc. It really does make you think about every ball you play. Timing is paramout, which is how it should be. It also really depends on the player's individual talent, which foot you pass with etc. So many variables that I thought PES 6 used, but after playing I realised didnt.

After playing the PES and WE series from day 1, and I must admit Football games make up 80% of my video game play if not more, I've never played a PES as good as 2009. Yes it has its flaws, the odd misdirected pass annoys me, but overall, I'm extremely happy with what Konami have achieved with this game. They have certainly put so much emphasis on the thinking aspect of the game, and I personally applaud that.

I have never put so many hours into a PES game in my life, and I am ridiculously fussy about what I play. I really dont suffer fools. For me PES2009 is brilliant.

What I cant understand is how people can honestly say that they think Fifa offers a more realistic approach when nothing about Fifa's gameplay is reliant on real-life physics ??

In saying that I enjoy Fifa for what its is, a gorgeously presented arcade variation that gives me the option to see everything that's visually stunning within the beautiful game. It is what it is. In my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Once in a while someone comes in and articulates it perfectly like hitting the nail on the head 100 times in a row.

Great readthru Jimmy, I also cant agree more that PES2009 is the most complete PES so far. Konami in a way fails at certain usual things like music, interface, license..but that dont matter at all to me, since they simply NEVER fail to amaze me months after months after release, that the game still continues to feel fresh; just like in real football it engages me, saddens me, makes me bloody happy and in deep awe to the physics engine which never stops to surprise months after buying it.

What PES09 so far has made me do and realise, is to turn to the manual pass more often. The feel when a long manual pass is played in an empty space ready to be runned up, exactly where you aimed for..what a lovely feel.

Last edited:
Once in a while someone comes in and articulates it perfectly like hitting the nail on the head 100 times in a row.

Great readthru Jimmy, I also cant agree more that PES2009 is the most complete PES so far. Konami in a way fails at certain usual things like music, interface, license..but that dont matter at all to me, since they simply NEVER fail to amaze me months after months after release, that the game still continues to feel fresh; just like in real football it engages me, saddens me, makes me bloody happy and in deep awe to the physics engine which never stops to surprise months after buying it.

What PES09 so far has made me do and realise, is to turn to the manual pass more often. The feel when a long manual pass is played in an empty space ready to be runned up, exactly where you aimed for..what a lovely feel.

We sing from the very same song-sheet my friend. ;0)

I can totally relate to the awesome physics engine, it constantly blows me away with it's realism. It's scary at times just how freakishly accurate it mimics the real game. I've been playing the game solid from the day it was released. Firstly 10 seasons on BAL, then currently 3 seasons so far on the Masterleague.

I have actually used up all 50 replay slots with goals, tricks, and anything else that has blown me away. And I've never done that on any PES before. I'm forever seeing new animations so many months on, especially from the more technically advanced players.

I'm also very impressed with how the difficutly level changes the gameplay as well. I dont see any AI cheating, small players for example dont get physically stronger, nor do CPU players get mysteriously better. Teams are just more organised, and play better, more solid football. Which is exactly how it should be.

And as for the Manual Pass, well, thats just heaven right there when you get that baby right. ;0)

Last edited:
Jimmy G force - Agree with everything you said. I've been playing the game since the PS1 days and on the SNES before that and although i've dabbled with Fifa, i could never stick with it. I really like PES2009 (next gen) and find it challenging and those individual player stats n attributes do count. The feeling you get when a player passes a weighted ball into space can't be matched by fifa imo. Finally, i've found it to be better online lately with very few glitches eg. lag & teleporting.

i remeber first time i play ISS pro evolution, ha it was amazing, something new, it wasnt brilliant but something other it feels like football, so i get my first patches, wohoo what a feeling, real Kits and shirts, the i go to the Weseries on PS one and Ps2! But after We8 the series went Back, last hope was WE8 LE! Ok We9 and PES 5 was amazing, but only the small changes dont make a new game, every year since we 8 the same Graphics on PS2, the same speakers, same commentarys, same turfs, same adboards, same Balls........ this was only a Money Machine. i have spend so much Money to get my copys fron Stores in Hong Kong, for what? To patch every year a new Greek league....now i am tired of this....every Year Konami makes it harder for editors to make this Game Real. They have forgotten one thing:

Without the Fans PES/WE is dead....we have made it wht it is.......

i remeber first time i play ISS pro evolution, ha it was amazing, something new, it wasnt brilliant but something other it feels like football, so i get my first patches, wohoo what a feeling, real Kits and shirts, the i go to the Weseries on PS one and Ps2! But after We8 the series went Back, last hope was WE8 LE! Ok We9 and PES 5 was amazing, but only the small changes dont make a new game, every year since we 8 the same Graphics on PS2, the same speakers, same commentarys, same turfs, same adboards, same Balls........ this was only a Money Machine. i have spend so much Money to get my copys fron Stores in Hong Kong, for what? To patch every year a new Greek league....now i am tired of this....every Year Konami makes it harder for editors to make this Game Real. They have forgotten one thing:

Without the Fans PES/WE is dead....we have made it wht it is.......

IMO they make it harder because its ILLEGAL...its no better than warez to distribute images that are trademarked and copyrighted...so youre breaking the law by patching the game because all the rights do not belong to you.

...so youre breaking the law by patching the game because all the rights do not belong to you.

I know but seriously, we are hardly going to be mentioned amongst America's 10 most wanted. But I did know a guy in the States that got put on Death Row for making a patch for PES 5.

Hey, but what a patch though, had the MLS teams and everything.

The moral of the story is sometimes, sacrifices need to be made. ;0)

I have been a pes fan since i can remember and played it on ps1 and nintendo 64. I have owned every pes since with pes4 being my favorite but the last two have been very poor and with fifa's online modes i have to admit i have moved over to play the dreaded fifa for now!!! I really hope pes10 gives us back our game, I miss it so much.

Nice topic. I have read all replies from this 3 pages.

I will skip, the usual comments like: i am playing Konami games for 11 years, i am a still an administrator of the first ISS/PES/WE web community in my country...bla, bla, bla.

At my opinion the main problem in this story is: Konami`s wish to publish a completly new game every damn year. For what? Why? Why do we need completly new game every year? Remember those days of WE and ISS pro evolution at PSX? Do you remember how small (small but positive) changes and difrences were between WE4 and WE2002 or ISS pro Evolution and ISS pro Evolution 2.

By this "each year completly new game" politic, the Konami ruined the saga. One year, the freekicks are excelent. But the next year they are total crap. One year the shoot is excelent. But the next year it is total crap. And so on. Why? Why the good things can`t stay good, and only the bad things can`t be changed? Why mister Seabass? You are afraid that people will stop buying your game if it stays the same next years? That`s an idiotic thought. People will stop buying something that is crap, not something that is old. Just take a look at the SWOS tournaments-that game is 20 years old. And did people stoped playing it until now? No (well they stopped buying it that`s for sure, they are downloading it over the internet now :D)!

And the next-gen? What does that term mean for god sake? I would translate it as: "ruining the good game". Mister Seabass, i don`t want a next-gen game, i want a good game.

I hope, and hope is good thing, and good things never die, that Konami will turn on to the right course. Fingers crossed for the next version :D. Cheers.

Last edited:
Haven't been on Evoweb for ages but this is probably the best post I've seen on it.

I am a self confessed footbal nut and have been playing footy games on consoles sine Match Day on the Spectrum !

Have been a PES addict for 10 years and PES6 on the PS2 was my alltime favourite with the option files from here.

However got a PS3 for Xmas and FIFA09. At first it just felt wrong and I was tempted to go back to the PS2 many times, however now after 6 months it's starting to pay off. It's the shooting that I found the hardest to get to grips with. But I must say now I think it's much more technical than PES and putting a ball in the top corner feels like a real achievement.

I could go on and on but actually i'd prefer to hear more about Jimmys time at Forest with Cloughie, I bet there are some stories to tell....

Cheers,

Scozza

tried to give fifa09 a go last night..just couldnt. cringed at the very first whistle.

I didnt compare, I cringed. And it certainly didnt feel right. It felt like playing on a pitch that was from the 70's.

I personally think the instinctive shooting on Pro Evo is much better and more realistic, all based on your body shape, height of the ball, players ability etc etc. I also think the movement off the ball by the CPU players is better. I think the ball pings more realistically in Pro Evo, although admittedly it does look very smooth and beautiful in Fifa.

Real football 80% of the time isnt pretty, very rarely do you see players pull off or even attempt crazy tricks in real games. They darent, they get hammered by team-mates and their Gaffer if it doesnt come off. Showboating happens very rarely, in Fifa its very easy to pull off

Try those tricks on the field..it is very difficlut to make a 360 degree or overhead trcik against a opponent. This is the huge difference between pes and fifa. Dribbling is in fifa09 difficult..comparing to pes. In PES09 you can hold and dribble the whole game, because of the unrealistic balance and fast (robot) movement. BUT football is a passing game not a dribbling game......in Fifa you need to pass the ball because in a dribbling you can lose the ball easily.

These videos shows what i am trying to say:

YouTube - 10.PESTürkiye PES 2009 Ps3 Ankara Turnuvası Finali (part-1)

YouTube - 9. Pestürkiye PES 2009 Ps3 Offline Turnuvası (Part-2)

edit:

YouTube - pes 2009 اهدا٠ومهارات كاكا و رونالدينهو

In the third video you can see that pes09 is very unrealistic. He dribbles the whole game on "top player" because of the unrealstic and fast movement and the monsterbalance of the players.

So do you really think PES09 is more realistic as fifa09? Come on mate....;)

Last edited:
e.g. play gta4. you can kill everyone or you just can drive around. what is more realistic?
what i want to say: in pes, everything is possible if you like to.
in fifa not because you are limited in your actions because of the missing response.

I loved FIFA 09 on ps3 : way,way,way better than all PES6 or PES2009

yes in pes6 you can run as one player and scored scripted goal hahah realistic ?

I want to say go away with silly game like pes6 or PEs2009. Fifa 09 ps3 is best football simulation . end of story.

time to head to a less fifa free pes forum. where 9/10 arent flipfloppers.

Back
Top Bottom