Pro Evo Old School Die-Hards ..................

do i need to spoonfeed you with how overly blatant this forum has been crowded with fifa girls?

No just make it intelligible!

It's fairly obvious given the amount of posters on here and the number of gamers who play either both games or have moved over to FIFA from PES that there will be comparisons between the two and comments posted.

As well as the so called 'fan-boys' of each game belittling each other.

Unless the Admin ban the word FIFA or any mention of any other game bar PES, you will always get this.
Being on quite a few forum sites I think the Admin and Mods do a good job of keeping threads on topic and shutting them down if needed, to keep the site healthy.

On Topic: As for PES what are you playing now 2009 or older incarnations.

I'm digging my old PS2 out this weekend as I always felt WE was far better than PES, WE8LE being my particular pinnacle of the Konami brand. :WORSHIP:

time to head to a less fifa free pes forum. where 9/10 arent flipfloppers.

Let me know where you go, and I will be right there with you bro. ;0)

You could speak to people on here at one time that understood the genius within PES, now it's very few and far between. I wouldnt waste my time joining a Fifa forum, I dont understand why the same doesnt apply here for alot of posters.

last fifa i played before fifa 09 was the 98 version. last pes i played was pes08, my gf gave me the pes9, but those two versions sucked so much. been playing fifa09 lately, but again, i will buy pes10, hoping this version will bring back those good old psone ps2 memories.

@ Tykjen: wich version of Fifa 09 have you played mate? A PC or PS3(Xbox360 it`s the same) version? There`s a huge diffrence: the PC one is rubish, while the PS3 and Xbox kicks ass.

P.S.

you have joined the evo-web at November 2001. ? Nice one mate, you are one of the first people in here.

Last edited:
We must accept that FIFA 09 is a better game than PES 2009 in terms of simulation. Even dough I was a PESFAN.

We must accept that FIFA 09 is a better game than PES 2009 in terms of simulation. Even dough I was a PESFAN.

The day Fifa simulates real players with real statistics that actually mean something, and also simulates real shooting technique will be the day the dog may have his. ;0)

Until that time, PES will remain the true football experience in my honest opinion.

Hundreds of hours on FIFA09, the same with PES2009.

Hands down, PES is stilll the simulation, tight control, better passing, more agility and more realistic GEOMETRY! Key word, football is geometry, it's space, angles plus some skills.
The animations annoy, some of the keeper ones especially, forced passing is bad, some passes are wonky...but overall, more rewarding and realistic than FIFA09.

Honestly and sincerely.

Hundreds of hours on FIFA09, the same with PES2009.

Hands down, PES is stilll the simulation, tight control, better passing, more agility and more realistic GEOMETRY! Key word, football is geometry, it's space, angles plus some skills.
The animations annoy, some of the keeper ones especially, forced passing is bad, some passes are wonky...but overall, more rewarding and realistic than FIFA09.

Honestly and sincerely.

Fully agree. PES 2009 is many levels above FIFA 09. I have played FIFA 09 for many many months and started playing PES 2009 only a few weeks back. And I'm not returning to FIFA 09 again.

Here are the reasons why I think PES 2009 is a better simulation of football that FIFA 09.

What went wrong at Konami I have no idea.. I would love to know. How they can produce gems on the PS2 then ruin it on next-gen consoles is beyond me..

you seem to forget just how bad the original pes was on the ps2, after coming from the glorious ps1 versions...

might be (hope it is) just a case of getting it right second time around (or is it third in this case?)

btw, i've been around here a long time, and as much as i have tried to 'like' fifa, and believe me, i have tried and tried, especially after the hpe of '09 (i even bought it), to me, it just doesn't feel like you're playing football... that's what was pes's trademark... the 'feel'...

and fifa just doesn't have it...

While most seem to drool about PES 5 and PES 6 as the best ever pro evos, I see that there were hundreds of posts moaning about PES 5 and PES 6 back then. May be it's all just because we love nostalgia.

PES 2009 is the best ever pro evo for me.

It's an iffy issue, I never complained about the sublime WE6:FE. That game was amazing, so natural, fluid, such great pace, great animations, variety and AI which were second to none. Clever runs, passes, variety of deliveries boggled the mind and completely had me and my friends hooked for years. I mean years.

That game was football in binary, something not achieved since.

FIFA09 was very good for the forst 10 games, good for the next few hundred, then the tired old script would become blatantly obvious. Now, it's almost unplayable, especially online. EA just don't get it, if they did, they would never allow such BLATANT swings in momentum (where players forget how to run, pass, trap and move) or the ridiculous trick/jockey buttons which resemble mortal kombat more than football.

Two small gaps, but they illustrate a deeper misunderstanding of football, and what football really is. It's space, angles, geometry and intelligence, with a ball and two goals thrown into the mix.

Here's hoping Konami fix the bugs, the animations, some of the scripts, the shots and we will have a title that we'll drool over this year.

Hopefully, they can utilize the PS3 and get back to basics while upgrading the animations.

Yeah PES 2009 is miles a head of FIFA 09 on the consoles. I can't understand how Konami will be able to improve PES 2009 because it is the perfect football simulation. I guess that is why they are focusing on the graphics now because gameplay is just as realistic as it can be. I mean turn on the game and you'd think you're watching a real game.

Fully agree. PES 2009 is many levels above FIFA 09. I have played FIFA 09 for many many months and started playing PES 2009 only a few weeks back. And I'm not returning to FIFA 09 again.

Here are the reasons why I think PES 2009 is a better simulation of football that FIFA 09.

That's a bit of an overstatement in my opinion. Overall I feel Fifa 09 is the better game from a technical standpoint, but like yourself I started playing PES2009 again recently and I feel it's much more fun to play. That's what it's all about for me. PES still excels in terms of response times, tight control, build-up play, shooting and variety of goals and also player individuality. I think it's the animations that killed PES2009 for a lot of people but otherwise it is quite a decent game graphically.

Fifa 09 was fun for about 4 or 5 months but then became very boring. It still doesn't have the feel of real football for me.

If PES 2009 was such a good game and as good as FIFA 09 then there would be no need to be so defensive about it - a few years ago if anybody said FIFA 06 was anywhere near PES5 then people would just laugh at them, now you get people being defensive, writing blogs and making snide comments about FIFA.

There's only really been two good PES games in the whole series, so I doubt they'll be able to get near the quality of FIFA for some time.

PES1 - Meh
PES2 - Meh
PES3 - Good
PES4 - Not as good
PES5 - Brilliant
PES6 - Big step down
PES 08 - A joke of a game
PES 09 - Better than 08 but still rubbish

I'd like to have two good football games to play but it looks unlikely.

Come on Rob, two good PES games?

I must take issue with you there. PES 1-6 gave me some of the best gaming of my life, and you need to consider the ISS games that came before, all of which were ahead of there time. I don't think many on here will share your opinion.

Fifa 09 is a very good game, but it's still the same old Fifa underneath the glossy exterior and I don't think it has yet got as close to replicating the true feeling of football that PES had a couple of years back.

Fifa isn't as far ahead as you like to believe. The way I see it Konami know how to achieve perfection as they have already been there around PES5. EA have still yet to get there.

PES1-6 were all better than the FIFA that was around at the time, that's why we played them so much and have good memories of them, but I think the only one which has aged well and is up there with FIFA 09 is PES5 - it's the only one which felt like it was a finished product.

Try playing PES 1, 2, 4 or 6 and I think you'll see what I mean - if EA weren't so lazy at the time with FIFA we wouldn't have thought PES was so great as those games really aren't special at all.

Some people seem to think Konami have an ability to produce great football games that EA don't have, and all that seems to be based on is fond memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
PES1-6 were all better than the FIFA that was around at the time, that's why we played them so much and have good memories of them, but I think the only one which has aged well and is up there with FIFA 09 is PES5 - it's the only one which felt like it was a finished product.

But that stands to reason. PES5 was then culmination of 5 years development work on the PS2. Apart from PES1 & 6, which were obviously first efforts on new hardware, I've never felt any other PES was unfinished. Licensing issues aside (which are often beyond Konami's control) PES has always excelled itself in it's attention to detail, and taking care of the little things that added to the overall experience.

I would say Fifa 09 is far from a finished product. For example;

Generic goalie kits, generic/inaccurate player fonts & numbering, poor kit detail, manger mode is a mess (no squad numbering?), night lighting is awful, lack of full weather & time of day options at every stadia, no local replay saves, no stadium assign, no edit mode of worth etc........

Graphically they may have done everything they could have done (within limitations from the hardware/licences), but really I don't care what the game looks like (apart from the night lighting which does my head in on FIFA).

It's the gameplay which has felt unfinished, for example PES6's shooting system, the PES3 handballs, PES4's lightning game pace etc.

FIFA 09 is only up there with PES5 for me because of manual controls and online Clubs mode, talking of manual controls PES has never even made use of the analog sticks, it's still stuck with rigid 8-way controls.

Konami would've announced 360 degree dribbling if they had added it, so I don't think it can compete with FIFA for that very reason - it will be like there's a generation between the two games (it's already close to that now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Korean PES 5, WE9LEK I think, was for me the best PES hands down. PES 4 was a joke because of the through balls. Now when PES 2010 will be GOTY and best game ever made in the universe I think old schoolers will come back.

Now when PES 2010 will be GOTY and best game ever made in the universe I think old schoolers will come back.

As I've stated before I really hope they have put a full league structure in the ML(spit) this time :PRAY:, because if they do come back with a bang it's going to be hard to leave a good MM system on FIFA and go back to fantasy island back...

Korean PES 5, WE9LEK I think, was for me the best PES hands down. PES 4 was a joke because of the through balls. Now when PES 2010 will be GOTY and best game ever made in the universe I think old schoolers will come back.

I am still playing this today, give me that game with updated graphics/animations and I will be in heaven, it is perfection.

The only slight issue I have is sometimes as in PES5 the players still jump over the ball and it goes out for a throw in when they are clear on the wing.

Last edited:
I think it's the animations that killed PES2009 for a lot of people but otherwise it is quite a decent game graphically.

All,

What I have done using the PES global editor is:

1. Reduce AGILITY by 35% (Smoother animations)
2. Reduce TOP SPEED by 20% (Realistic pace while build-up)

Do these and you'll tell me that this is the best football game to-date. Especially, editing the agility values will improve your game 10 fold because the lightning quick animations won't be there anymore. Players will turn and move, make tricks a bit slowly and realistically. My tweaked PES 2009 is scarily close to real life football.

Just do these and let me know.

Last edited:
I'm 38 brazilian guy.

I played FIFA series since the MegaDrive (FIFA Soccer 95), after this on SNES, PC, PSX.

Then I saw the J-League Winning Eleven 97. Visually not so gorgeous, but the playability... Fantastic!!!

Since then I've been playing the WE and PES series. All of then. Some almost perfects, some not so good, but always better than any FIFA.

But I must confess: the PES 2008 let me very worried. And everybody saying: FIFA 08 changed, blahblahblah... I thought: it's can not be possible, I know how FIFA is...

Came PES 2009 and I saw how I was always right. I love this game, the playability, the ball phisics, the players shape, a Ok edit mode (could be better, guys!), BUT...

The FIFA 09 is very good, the best of all of FIFAs. I feel the Konami simply stopped because the fight was so piece of cake, but the things changed.

A little issue: why remove good stufs like: mixed kits, short socks, untucked shirts, game speed options, change the badge position on kits edit, yellow/red cards on advantage fouls, central camera mode “1 to 9”, save language speech, etc.

We can see on FIFA many things that you would love to find on our PES: nice players moves, fair penalty kicks, licensed leagues, a lot of camera options, etc, BUT...

It's far away from PES: too big balls, bubble gum's shirts, fantastic plays every moment, curve ball anytime, etc.

Well, all I hope is a "new" good & old PES...

Regards from Sao Paulo, Brazil...

Back
Top Bottom