PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

What can I say? That I puked? WIth the pathetic turning like boats disproportionate all the same flat zombies? The GK animations that look like a JOKE? And blah blah, other crap I asked you kindly to stop repeating.

Please, answer this question: What version of FIFA is supposedly making you puke? PS3/xbox360/PC etc?

I never understood this fanboy war...I`ve only played pes and never gave FIFA games a chance...it looked plastic and water down. Today I stop playing pes and I started playing Euro 2008.. My God! it is everything online a bloke can ask for especially living across the pond it has brought so much joy! our PES league site (mainly scots and brits , Im the only yank :-pp) has change to FIFA Im heading out to buy FIFA 08 today:DD

check out our site we cross out the PES and in paint put UEFA :lol:http://www.pes365.com/forumindex.php

who cares about ML when you have CYC!!!

Fifa 09 will not be better than pes2009 this time around....

i honestly belive that konami will do ALOT to make sure of it. they have pride above all else to lose and many many loyal followers to gain back.

fifa 08 will still be the best fifa forver

How can you say that when all the next gen ones have been shit?

it will take a while for them to get anywhere near where they was on the PS2

PES needs a new game engine, 09 wont be(Adonis said that already) FIFA needed a new engine cause it was so poor, they did that but even with that it was still poor(07) then they improved that twice to get a quality game(UCL & FIFA 08) So with PES2010 "hopefully" being a new engine it will then take them another year to tweak it into a potential competiter to FIFA.

DJ that was a new engine thats the main reason it wasnt as if it was something they had tweaked for years, the old FIFA engine is shocking and alot worse than PES(PS2/PC), so Konami have the potential to make a quality game dunno if they have the resources though.

hellenes, it would be in your best interests to stop acting the stupid fanboy because you are just embarrasing yourself and making yourself a laughing stock for reusing the same old unjustified arguments time after time, that people have already disproved.

EA are a huge company who make many franchises of games, making immense ammounts of money which they can spend on improving their products whereas KONAMI only have a few good franchises and do not get anywhere near the same profits. EA will probably dominate with their football games from now on, I can't see KONAMI making anything new, all their games up to now, even the PS1 games, have had that certain feel to them. That was good at the time, but other genres have improved tenfold over the same period, but not KONAMI's football games... If they did make a new engine, I wouldn't expect much from it, they seem to be aiming at the casual arcade game fan rather than football fans who want a realistic game.

People hail Seabass as a genius - now I'm not saying he is or he isn't, IMO he knew exactly what he was doing with the PSone and created something brilliant, but as he's been given more CPU power it seems almost as if he's not sure what to do with it gameplay-wise (and PES2008 offered no gameplay improvement over the previous game IMO, which was the first time I've ever seen a PES/WE come along that was worse than the last one - I know some people have who have been playing the series for longer than I have, but I haven't, at least not that I can remember).

But, again this is purely my opinion, he created the best football games of their generation with the PSone PES titles, and with WE6FE/WE7I. To be blunt I would still say those games beat all the other football games on the same formats, PC, PSone and PS2. So he obviously does have it in him to make games that are better than the competition.

I find PES2008 very difficult to comprehend, I stopped playing WE/PES anyway because it felt like nothing was changing and there wasn't enough variation in the teams and the competitions for me, but I never thought they'd make a game that could be such a huge step backwards on the gameplay front, and go literally from realism to something I wouldn't pay £1 at an arcade for within a year. But I wouldn't write PES off.

And I wouldn't bet on FIFA always being a simulation either. Bear in mind EA change FIFA's producer every year to keep things "fresh". It only takes one lousy producer to undo a lot of good work (I used to know one of the guys who was announced as producer - this was before the days of next-gen - and quite frankly they might as well have made someone from L'Oreal [Because You're Worth It] producer, his big priorities were moving hair and moving eyes).

What I just don't get with both series is that they only allow you to run in 8 directions with the ball.
PES has 8 directions full stop, off the ball, on the ball and with manual passing with only holding the tackle button going in another direction.
FIFA has more than 8 directions for manual passing and off the ball movement, but when running with the ball and only using the analog stick, it's 8 directions.
When you sprint in both games this turns to 16 directions you can run with the ball (takes 2 touches to turn 45 degrees).

Why? The sooner football games become fully analog the better, you don't see real footballers only being able to run in a limited amount of directions.

Also, canned animations need to go. Hardware is becoming powerful enough that something like Euphoria (used in GTA) could be used in most games in the near future I reckon, sports games included (BackBreaker is coming soon) so that the animations are produced on the fly. Obviously some things like trademark free kick techniques need to be motion-captured though. But using something like Euphoria and implementing it well would make the game look and feel much better, with no ugly interrupted animations, players actually losing their balance in a realistic way and physical contact being more realistic.

Maybe the next consoles would be able to do something like that, but something not too indifferent would probably be possible on 360/PS3, when you can have GTA having a whole city visible from high up in a helicopter (which looks great) with no slowdowns, surely a football game which consists of 22 players in a much smaller space could do more than what we currently have?

I genuinely think it's a case of "they'll buy it no matter what, no point in doing all that" - plus the fact that games like GTA were in development for years and years. Can you imagine how good PES and FIFA would be if they made one every 2-3 years? But Konami and EA will never let that happen. Because, as I've just said, it will sell bucketloads regardless.

I still can't get over how underwhelmed I am with all the new football titles to be honest, I imagined by now we'd be playing on proper little holographic pitches in the middle of our rooms with an array of manager options from building up the ground to managing the reserve team and dealing with your back room staff and the press, in stead we still have the fecking ML and scripted crap, monkey players and no fecking 3rd kits FFS. Instead of the Matrix it feels like we're still just one step up from the frickin Thunderbirds...

I genuinely think it's a case of "they'll buy it no matter what, no point in doing all that" - plus the fact that games like GTA were in development for years and years. Can you imagine how good PES and FIFA would be if they made one every 2-3 years? But Konami and EA will never let that happen. Because, as I've just said, it will sell bucketloads regardless.
That is the case and it's a shame.
All EA and Konami did on PS2 was change a few things like the interface, music, commentary etc. with a few gameplay tweaks each year, and almost every football fan with a PC or console bought them.
With football games you are also aiming at a limited market, not every gamer is a football fan, you are not going to get non-football fans to buy a FIFA or PES just because it is a revolutionary, ultra-realistic game because they do not like the sport but if you have a console and are a football fan, you will most likely buy a football game each year (I have bought at least 1 every year since 2003).

If Rockstar just rushed out a GTA with a small undetailed map, a bad story with boring characters and poor voice acting with basic gameplay and canned animations, not too many people would buy it. That type of game needs to be good or it won't sell.
Football games can be poor compared to what they are capable of being but still be praised because they are better than previous titles in the series.

What we really need is another company to spend a few years carefully producing a new revolutionary game, and then give us squad, kit and league updates each year until the next version of the game is released. Going to happen? No
An example of a company making a new game to take over a genre is EA's skate. The Tony Hawk series was the only option available and was not improving at all for each version and then it is just totally blown away by skate (which is a game which looks like it took a long time to make).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody hell, yesterday i downloaded the PES2008 demo for a laugh and its just so far behind its not even funny. the one thing that hit me was obviously the speed but most importantly there was zero depth to the game. all the things such as Manual passing, Finesse Shot etc were all gone and all it was run, pass, run, pass and shoot. Also the other BIG problem is no one can "control" the match there isnt a situation where you can get the ball and pass it around and keep it. its just a big battle and thats it. there also seems to be zero positions, when playing in middle of a match just look at the map at the bottom everyone is all over the place is a mess. this game is a disaster. my only concern is that FIFA are the only hope for a decent game next year and if they dont deliver then were screwed since FIFA now PES is gonna take a while to recover.:(

Re: FIFA 09

According to the latest WENB podcast.

Fifa "Has a lot more to do with there next game than PES"

WTF? :LOL:

Oh and the faces will be the same as this year unfortunatley.

They're saying FIFA needs to improve a lot because it lags so far behind PES...

No comment.

Something about in PES 2008 the AI is so far ahead of FIFA that its laughable.

They are convinced that PES 2009 is gonna have "the fans" flocking back to PES.

Time will tell.

i must of read it wrong, as i couldn't believe what i was reading

i also remember them being up and down about pes2008 before it hit the stores and they suddenly changed there tune as it was in there best interests to sell pes2008

i hope pes2009 makes a big difference, it needs it!

The name "WENB" gives it away, they are obviously biased towards WE/PES.

FIFA 08 > PES 20082010 as long
FIFA 09 will be better also

all I needed to hear they were obviously biased which I already knew was when they said
''Back to our beloved Pro Evo''

Last edited:

lol they say fifa 08 cpu cheats forgetting that PES is just as bad pure bias!

and I play fifa games to play online and they say its perfect so why would I go back to PES....

I see fanboy gibberish talk starting.

Actually, I think that PES 2009 will be more of an improvement from PES 2008, than FIFA 09 from FIFA 08, the question is, will it be enough to bring back lost fans.

Last edited:

pes 2010 will be at nextgen level

pes2009 will not be...

fifa 09 will still be an improvement over fifa 08 and pes2008 is so far behind fifa 08 its unreal

it is fair to say that fifa 09 is going to be better than pes2009

the test will be how far pes has come over this last year, i hope they have brought the gap back as currently it is wide open

NB: i am not a fanboy of any company or francise, i am a fanboy of football (big difference)

pes 2010 will be at nextgen level

pes2009 will not be...

fifa 09 will still be an improvement over fifa 08 and pes2008 is so far behind fifa 08 its unreal

it is fair to say that fifa 09 is going to be better than pes2009

the test will be how far pes has come over this last year, i hope they have brought the gap back as currently it is wide open

NB: i am not a fanboy of any company or francise, i am a fanboy of football (big difference)

Yes, I agree about the gap. EA did a good job last year and it's fairly easy for them to fix minor things, unlike Konami who simply have to fix the gameplay and online and edit mode if they want to have some fans left to wait for PES 2010. ;)

Konami have to fix everything, EA have to fix the little things.....

They will fix it...... They fix everything.

robocop_murphy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom