PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

Re: FIFA 09

Yeah and everyone's been expecting them to fix all the stuff that needed fixing for years, yet still the same old shit that made me turn off PES after about 5 and other people turn off eventually, just the last sad few actually believing Konami give a shit about their customers, but hey it's fun each year reading Adonis proclaiming how he played a super secret version of the new PES and it's wonderful, amazing, ground breaking, breathtaking, blah blah........

Every now and then, when I'm feeling FIFA08 or EURO08 are a bit crap, and I'm thinking to myself "PES is probably much better than I rememeber it", so I turn on PES2008 and boy, it blows me away.

PES absolutely needs to be started again from scratch. I can't see them ever pulling out anything worthwhile from that hatful of shit.

Boy, the PES hate is strong in this thread. All Konami has to do is slow the game down a bit and get that "feel" back that has made PES famous. Most (not all) of the AI is pretty solid. The ball physics are great (besides the 100mph crosses) and the way the player interacts with the ball is light years ahead of FIFA. FIFA still has a "player stuck to the ball" feel to it.

I don't know if the hate comes from FIFA being bashed over the years, and now that PES has a down year, everyone thinks PES is the worst game in the history of videogames.

I'm sure PES 2009 will be fantastic. I'm sure FIFA 09 will be awesome, as well. At this point, it just comes down to personal preference.

Does anyone like both FIFA08 and PES2008 I wonder?
I like neither.

Does anyone like both FIFA08 and PES2008 I wonder?
I like neither.

I never understood the love for FIFA 08. It's slow, unresponsive, the ball physics aren't as good as PES, etc.

While PES 2008 did have too much "arcade madness" in it this year, it is still a better game than FIFA 08 (I only play one off matches, no online or anything which I know FIFA rules in).

But to be honest, neither game is worth the $60 that they charge. They both need alot of work to be worth that kind of money.

well said Gat. too many haters with pes. shocking coming from tim etc. thinking its impossible that PES can be better then fifa this year.

Yes, I agree about the gap. EA did a good job last year and it's fairly easy for them to fix minor things, unlike Konami who simply have to fix the gameplay and online and edit mode if they want to have some fans left to wait for PES 2010. ;)
what'swrong with the edit mode? frankly the edit mode is far superior then fifa 08's none exsisting one

I know it's not really important, but I wonder who will take Ronaldinho's place on the front cover. Surely there's no way they'll choose him again this year seeing his form this season, it wouldn't sell. It's sad but no one cares about him anymore, even the Barca fans.

Boy, the PES hate is strong in this thread. All Konami has to do is slow the game down a bit and get that "feel" back that has made PES famous. Most (not all) of the AI is pretty solid. The ball physics are great (besides the 100mph crosses) and the way the player interacts with the ball is light years ahead of FIFA. FIFA still has a "player stuck to the ball" feel to it.

I don't know if the hate comes from FIFA being bashed over the years, and now that PES has a down year, everyone thinks PES is the worst game in the history of videogames.

I'm sure PES 2009 will be fantastic. I'm sure FIFA 09 will be awesome, as well. At this point, it just comes down to personal preference.

I agree with you to an extent.

But the ball physics were the worse part of Pes 2008.

It was like kicking a marble about on a glass floor.

what'swrong with the edit mode? frankly the edit mode is far superior then fifa 08's none exsisting one

Don't get me wrong, I am an old PES fan, but how many option files where released for PS3/xbox360 versions and how hard where it to make? ;) It seems very hard. And how much work did juce and other editors had to create tools for PC version, the edit mode could have all that in-game.

Well, FIFA doesn't actually need a very in-depth edit mode when they have 98% of licenses.

People are hating PES because they have messed up 3 versions of their game - PES6 PC/PS2, PES6 360 and PES 2008 and all of them before that were very similar, even the very early PES games and because they have just tweaked it and improved the graphics each year instead of making a proper effort - I and probably a lot of others do not want to play a PS1 game in disguise that we used to like back then because the competition was so bad.

With PES2009 basically confirmed as being another PS1 game in disguise (not a new engine), theres no chance it will be better than even FIFA 08, let alone 09...

Most of you's think fifa is better than pes at the moment is only due to the fact that pes 2008 is shit and fifa 08 is decent. Ofcourse comparing these two would make people think fifa is currently "light years" ahead. But when you compare fifa 08's gameplay with pes5 then surely pes5's gameplay feels better? Maybe some wouldn't think so because they're taken by fifa 08's next-gen graphics and atmosphere. Heck even last gen's fifas all were better in them departments too so next-gen winning there again wasn't exactly a shock to me.

Lets not forget how many years it took EA to make a decent game. 10+ years? How many games did it take them to make a decent next gen game, 3-4 games? It's only decent and nowhere near a good game. Fifa 08 is looked at as a huge step-up because its predecessors were simply SHIT.

PES on the other hand has always been a good game (except 2008) and not just decent. It's gameplay always made people lean towards it eventhough graphics and atmosphere nowhere near fifa's.

Pes 2008 went so wrong honestly i can't find an excuse to play it. Thank god Fifa 08 was decent or people would've had the worst football gaming year this time around.

If Konami go back to their senses and being us quality on next-gen then i'm sure we would be satisfied. If EA make Fifa 09 based on Fifa 08 and not Euro 2008 and fix all bugs, then i'm pretty sure next year will be a very pleasing gaming year for football gaming fans.

Playing any of the PES games (even PES5) now after FIFA makes it seem like an arcade game that you are playing it in fast forward and the lack of control really lets it down - I can't go back to an AI controlled arcade game after playing a game such as FIFA where you have such a level of control and realism, even if there are some faults in it.

I don't care much about graphics - yes it is nice to have some good graphics but I would take a game play plays better every time so I am not taken by FIFA's graphics or atmosphere, but it is good to have.

You say PES has always been a good game, good game compared to what? FIFA.
But now FIFA is not what it used to be, it is much much better, and Konami have only produced "good games" because they made one good game and gave it us year in year out with minor changes...

Fifa08 is a good game IMO, much better than simply decent, it just lacked in a couple of areas to make it an excellent game.

PES was a good game in its' day, that day ended sometime after PES 5 for me as I was tired of the lack of single player progress in the game.

For me, playing as Sheffield Wednesday in Fifa08's manager mode > than any PES ever.

FIFA 08 is a bit slow and unresponsive very very true. However id rather play something which attempts to emulate realistic ball physics and player movement than a game which emulates an arcade machine!! 100MPH gameplay......

i think people are getting confused with oldgen and nextgen

konami have never been able to make the transition from oldgen to nextgen (yet) and it seems some of the old school pes fans have not been able to move to nextgen football either

pes is so basic it is frightening and for all these years of playing the best series pes it has took a nextgen system to show us how basic pes has been and still is even on a nextgen console

fifa 08 brought us a nextgen potential game , with the feeling of actually playing football

it seems the oldschool pes fans have not moved on from what they think is a great gameplay football game in pes5? wtf this is so basic, i wont disagree that it was the best thing out at the time but damn that game is so basic it is frightening to think we could be running that shit on a nextgen console which has so much more potentil, which brings me to my next point

konami has been taking advantage of the market for to long and became complacent or was it the fact they couldn't really take the game any further to become a nextgen modern football non arcade game?

they have always favoured the japan market because of the PS2 sales it generates, hell they ported the PS2 version to the xbox which was a more powerful machine and did FA to improve it and left online bugs from pes5 to pes6 where you couldn't get a game, took months before they patched pes6, which again was so basic in terms of nextgen

pes has fallen short every year, but we have accepted it because there was nothing else, fifa was shit in my eyes then (and that is where peoples perspecives come into play regarding gameplay, as pes did piss all over fifa's back then, but in this day and age that game play is very rigid and basic imo)

fifa 08 is the bench mark in what you should be expecting from a football game in this day and age, technology moves on and so should gameplay and peoples perspective on what a game should be and not was!
i would take realism over arcade any day

ON TOPIC that is why i am looking forward to fifa 09

Last edited:

Most of you's think fifa is better than pes at the moment is only due to the fact that pes 2008 is shit and fifa 08 is decent.

Yup. PES is shit and FIFA is decent, so the logical and inevitable conclusion that anyone would reach is that FIFA is better than PES. A good point, well made.

@Rob:
I think PES was always a good game compared to any other footballgame. Until last year, when they finally got some competition from FIFA.
...and where did you get the info that PES 2009 will have the same engine?
Sofar we got some little hints from WENB( that was no info, as they aren't allowed to give us info )about PES 2009. They didn't say there was only the old engine. Maybe you heared it from somebody else? I doubt it. I think you only say this because you hate PES.

@Rob:
I think PES was always a good game compared to any other footballgame. Until last year, when they finally got some competition from FIFA.
...and where did you get the info that PES 2009 will have the same engine?
Sofar we got some little hints from WENB( that was no info, as they aren't allowed to give us info )about PES 2009. They didn't say there was only the old engine. Maybe you heared it from somebody else? I doubt it. I think you only say this because you hate PES.
Adonis said PES 2009 it will be what PES 2008 was meant to be - PES 2008 was never meant to be a new engine, it was just meant to be like an old PES with better graphics and AI... That engine is too old and basic, they need to move on. We have been there done that, we don't want it again just looking better...

I don't hate PES, it's just that Konami have made no effort and FIFA has far surpassed it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adonis said PES 2009 it will be what PES 2008 was meant to be - PES 2008 was never meant to be a new engine, it was just meant to be like an old PES with better graphics and AI... That engine is too old and basic, they need to move on. We have been there done that, we don't want it again just looking better...
I don't hate PES, it's just that Konami have made no effort and FIFA has far surpassed it now...

when pes6 was brought out on the xbox360, seabass said that nextgen would take 2 years to do and not 1 year hence why the failed graphics on pes6 and that it would have to build a new engine for nextgen

now behold pes2008, which you could argue is the two years he ment, as he did say that pes2008 would be one with nextgen graphics (i don't think so)

as you can see it needs ALOT of work, just hope they now have enough man power and are moving in the right direction... time will tell!

Did he apologise for all the bullshit he spouted out that turned out not to be true? Or did he just go into hiding? They way he posted stuff it wasn't that he'd heard this, or been told this, he posted as if the stuff he was posting was 100% fact.

You cannot blame Adonis for this. He was fooled himself. Konami held back info about the state of the game. I think Konami has learned from this and only release info this year if they are sure about it.

PES2009 will be as said a polished and finished version of PES2008. FIFA 09 will there for be the better game simply because its working with alot more, their engine is 2 generations higher than what Konami are working with. Yet i wont right Konami off because you look at FIFA and its taken a lot of ideas from Konami and arguably would we have this level of a FIFA game if it wasnt for Konami? the two versions im waiting on is the 1st NextGen PES and then IF that is a good base then il be anticipating the following version with excitement again.

Yup. PES is shit and FIFA is decent, so the logical and inevitable conclusion that anyone would reach is that FIFA is better than PES. A good point, well made.

You're taking the piss and did not get my point obviously. My point is, Fifa 08 is preferred due to pes 2008 being shit, not because Fifa is REALLY THAT GOOD. Just like back in the day when our only choice was PES because FIFA was crap. But hey back then PES was actually GOOD.

Last gen:
PES good, Fifa shit.

Next gen (Currently):
PES shit, Fifa decent (finally).

Do i have to state IMO?

Anyway, now that Fifa is finally a decent game, i'm hoping Fifa 09 is a good one.

Did he apologise for all the bullshit he spouted out that turned out not to be true? Or did he just go into hiding? They way he posted stuff it wasn't that he'd heard this, or been told this, he posted as if the stuff he was posting was 100% fact.
Well the past is the past. And he's apologized. Plus i'm sure he's been over excited and expecting a nextgen PES like the lot of us.

Now that he's apologized and admitted what happened last year was a mistake, he has also stated that the difference between this year and last year is that WENB get to see thing with their own eyes.

Last edited:
So a game with fully manual passing, shooting, crossing, realistic game pace, lots of leagues, lower leagues, great presentation, fairly good physics, 99% of the licenses etc is only "decent" while a last-gen arcade fest with only a few licenses, all AI assisted passing, shooting, crossing, way too fast game pace, amateur presentation etc is "good" :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom