PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

a tip on defending is to always control a midfielder and have your AI defender pressure the oppenent

it seems like when you select a defender to defend your midfield never bothers to track back and theres always a massive gap between them and the defence.

curdstar - tried your theory again and got it working. Not touching a button while defending results in a lot more even possession! 55-45 to 49-51 was the range after several games. Just left the cursor on a forward or midfielder and the AI closes down the spaces in defence. Only need to use 2nd pressure or tackle occasionally.

AI also knocks the ball around lots more this way.

Game speed seems slow on pitchside though. Needed it at +2 whereas on Long Cam default speed was good.

They need more zip on the curled shots though - they listened to everyone's complaints and now they're too weak!! A couple of other shots can be contextually incorrect too (too soft given the body and ball position).

Is some one complaining about cpu having too much possession? cos i think they have too little i dominated on top player ~60% i did 70% a few times against ManU (They could not link 2 passes)

The best way to defend is to run into them or anticipate what stupid skill they are gonna use. Just imagine this is fifa street.

Shooting should be most of the time powerful. Under pressure it should be a bit less powerful cause you don't have the space to develop energy for the shot.

The problem with powerful shooting in real life is space and aiming. Shooting with the outside foot and that is the type that can generate powerful shots needs a bit of free space because the ball needs to be pushed in front a bit so that you can run onto it and put your outside foot on it.

But even if you get that space and make the shot, aiming is the next problem, the more power you put into it, the likelier it is that the shot goes wide or high up, so it needs an experienced and skilled shooter to get a powerful shot on target as they can control it better than other shooters. Other not so skilled shooters can sometimes also succeed since luck plays a role, too.

Is some one complaining about cpu having too much possession? cos i think they have too little i dominated on top player ~60% i did 70% a few times against ManU (They could not link 2 passes)

The best way to defend is to run into them or anticipate what stupid skill they are gonna use. Just imagine this is fifa street.

Try what I said and they will have more possession.

I dont want them to havve more possession by helping them. I play a very barca style (when pes choose to position players correctly) and i go for 60-80% possession every game since pes 5 cos i can tire out the cpu easily.

They have to fix the stamina/pressing issue absolutely.
Stamina issue Has been there too long

surely it cant be hard to implement a stamina system...

breathing - goes down while in sprint, regains while stationary or slowly moving
stamina - goes down according to distance covered
- all connected to player stamina stat

thats obviously a loose system but would be better than what they have now which seems to be based on arrow and time spent on pitch. seems very easy to implement... and such an important part of the game

(also, a walk animation would tie in nicely here as really, a player should be losing stamina whilst jogging and sprinting, and regaining while walking and stationary.... silly... i mean ... a football game where you cant walk, but anyway...)

I am seeing an increase in the COM passing backwards/laterally but think a combination of it being a demo and it being optimised for 5min games means we might not be able to ascertain if AI has improved regards possession play until final release. Same goes for any stamina improvements and I don't expect the PC demo with time extenders/mods etc., to help in identifying changes either.

Also, is it just me or does Super Star almost feel as though it hasn't been programmed in correctly in this latest demo? Top Player is a good challenge but Super Star is pish easy, even easier than Professional for me at the moment.

..The best way to defend is to run into them or anticipate what stupid skill they are gonna use. Just imagine this is fifa street.
Just imagine this is fifa street
imagine this is fifa street
this is fifa street
FIFA STREET

well, you just described yourself as what people usually refer to as a Pressure Whore. You killed the AI by thinking to yourself this plays the same as fifa street, wow.
i'd hate to play you online mate

PS. i'll exhibit your post in my signature from now on

Last edited by a moderator:

This is why i'd love konami to increase the foul if some just bump into player on the ball.

So.. that is everything from BIGGEST FOX ENGINE presentation ? ... just one screen ? Yeah its look nice but.. i what more..

This is why i'd love konami to increase the foul if some just bump into player on the ball.

Yup i want that so badly as well as more fouls for off the ball collisions.

When i say run into them i dont mean destroy them i mean premier league style tackles . separate man from ball. force them to move in 1 direction.

I said this is fifa street because cpu does moves you rarely see average players do. the rather dribble than pass. they are too successful with the skills the use sometimes. pressure does not affect their technique. so dont give them time or space.

curdstar - tried your theory again and got it working. Not touching a button while defending results in a lot more even possession! 55-45 to 49-51 was the range after several games. Just left the cursor on a forward or midfielder and the AI closes down the spaces in defence. Only need to use 2nd pressure or tackle occasionally.

AI also knocks the ball around lots more this way.

It really works and it works in PES12 too. But to be honest is this what we want? Let the AI defend and don't defend by yourself and suddenly it looks like a good game of football?

It is a game not a movie. What is next? Let the AI take all the headers?

Konami need to find a better balance between attacking and defending.

No he doesn't.

There is no "get back to the guy who fouled the guy after advantage play is given."

Such a shame because it was in PES3/4/5/6. The ref would even go back at half time to book the player. Pretty much what happens in FIFA now too.

Sad. KONAMI ruined this mechanism :(.

I've had this happen on numerous occasions playing on the PC?

Last edited:

Hey all. New here. Been reading the boards for quite some time now, several years at least. Was a well known, respected member at good ol PESInsight and some others. Finally decided to join EvoWeb and contribute. Hope I am welcomed :).

Anyways, been playing PES/WE games since Konami started producing them. I thought WE9-LiveWare Evolution for PC was the best football game ever made. I kept this opinion until I tried PES13 DEMO 2. I can now safely say, it looks like the best PES ever made by Konami.

- Excellent life-like graphics and animations. Players don't seem to be like they are on heavy rails anymore.
- Goalkeepers have improved and make some excellent saves with great animations.
- Ball physics are the best ever.
- Slow paced football that can be sped up at certain occasions.
- Shooting is SPOT ON. When you use all manual settings this game is really for advanced football players. Similar like Counter Strike and Call of Duty. Not to compare FIFA to PES but I'm gonna compare CS to CoD. CoD fun to play run around and spray but CS involves thinking, skill and PRACTICE forever...This PES13 will be disliked by many fans esp new comers. But old school gamers will love it. This is SIMULATION we all have been waiting for and its here.

Couple of questions...

I live in the US and decided to skip the US version and order European version. I feel like I will play better players (no offense to Americans) but I'm just not feeling playing all Americans and South Americans who use Real and Barcelona 98% of the time.

Also European version gets much better patches. So my question now is.

If I buy Euro version will I be able to use patches made for Euro version ? Does it matter what kind of PS3 you have ? NTSC or PAL ? Also, I will get to play European players online correct ? If so, is there any lag, with all the distance and stuff ?

Last question is, where can I pre-order PES13 that ships to US.

Cheers!

I'm an Englishman living in the states and I have purchased the UK PAL version of PES for the last 5 years through Shopto.com. Every year I'm able to play it on my North American PS3 and use the option files and patches designed for that UK/PAL version with no issues whatsoever. However, I don't play online so I cannot opine about who you will play, lag etc... It takes about 10 days for the game to arrive from Shopto here on the west coast and the price always ends up being about $60.00 depending on the the current exchange rate.

I've had this happen on numerous occasions playing on the PC?

Erm no you have not. ;)

You wouldn't see yellow or red card given after advantage was played and the guys passed the ball. Like tackle didn't happen at all.

In FIFA such thing gets re-evaluated later. So you tackle from behind, ref plays advantage, they pass the ball, lose it, you clear it into stands, the ref gives your player yellow card with replay for what challenge exactly as you might have forgotten.

It may be in memory for long time (read it as: the game intercepts certain things where the ball goes out of play or there is other interruption in game), so you may foul player in 5th minute, but see yellow card for that near half time mark.

Such thing was in PES before. FIFA copied this to their game and it's amazing thing to have in ANY football game. This brings that realism to the game :).

Sadly, KONAMI got rid of it on Next Gen Pro Evos and it's strange no-one even posted that back to KONAMI... And there I thought people wanted 100% realistic game... O_O.

Erm no you have not. ;)

You wouldn't see yellow or red card given after advantage was played and the guys passed the ball. Like tackle didn't happen at all.

In FIFA such thing gets re-evaluated later. So you tackle from behind, ref plays advantage, they pass the ball, lose it, you clear it into stands, the ref gives your player yellow card with replay for what challenge exactly as you might have forgotten.

It may be in memory for long time (read it as: the game intercepts certain things where the ball goes out of play or there is other interruption in game), so you may foul player in 5th minute, but see yellow card for that near half time mark.

Such thing was in PES before. FIFA copied this to their game and it's amazing thing to have in ANY football game. This brings that realism to the game :).

Sadly, KONAMI got rid of it on Next Gen Pro Evos and it's strange no-one even posted that back to KONAMI... And there I thought people wanted 100% realistic game... O_O.

lol, erm yes I have :SMUG:

Is it me or Superstar level is far, far more balanced than Top Player ?

Playing against Real Madrid is much better now on Superstar, I can deal with AI pressure better.

I also changed tatics settings, wich is helping a lot. But my opinion still remains the same, they still need to tone down pressure a bit and slow down the game to be like in demo 1, the pace in demo 1 is probably the most accurate I've seen.

Is it me or Superstar level is far, far more balanced than Top Player ?

Playing against Real Madrid is much better now on Superstar, I can deal with AI pressure better.

I also changed tatics settings, wich is helping a lot. But my opinion still remains the same, they still need to tone down pressure a bit and slow down the game to be like in demo 1, the pace in demo 1 is probably the most accurate I've seen.

I agree, pressure is too high and it's unrealistic.

Well as on Italian forums there is a lot of angry criticism on this issue.
Btw, which tactic settings are you using to deal better with AI pressure?
Thanks

I agree, pressure is too high and it's unrealistic.

Well as on Italian forums there is a lot of angry criticism on this issue.
Btw, which tactic settings are you using to deal better with AI pressure?
Thanks

I'm just playing with Barcelona. Formation is the same, I just switched Messi to Sanchez (I guess), then I changed the preset tatics settings to this:

But I'm not been using exactly these settings all the time. I find that players get closer to each other and drop back more often, there's more movement, so before your player is surrounded by two or more AI palyers, one of your midfielders moves to give you an option to pass, so you can pass the ball around to keep possession.

These settings are for Barcelona only.

Great interview!

He's saying there that they worked on the shadows of day-time matches! wow! They really listened to the fans! It's a pity that they're not saying anything about lighting in night-time matches...

What's more he told also that they used more vivd colours for boots and just because of that we can expect improvements in players motion! Wow, nice art trick, I wouldn't expect that changing boots colours can actually make player motions more fulid etc.

I'm just playing with Barcelona. Formation is the same, I just switched Messi to Sanchez (I guess), then I changed the preset tatics settings to this:

But I'm not been using exactly these settings all the time. I find that players get closer to each other and drop back more often, there's more movement, so before your player is surrounded by two or more AI palyers, one of your midfielders moves to give you an option to pass, so you can pass the ball around to keep possession.

These settings are for Barcelona only.
Thanks!
I'l give it a try.

Per Adam at WENB:

OK guys, you're going to have to take this one which ever way you want.

I'm going to stay away from the boards for a few days, and indeed won't discuss anything about PES until I have had a conversation with the people that make the game. With Kei Masuda touring Europe, this might mean I won't be here until late next week.

The main reason I am staying away is because I'm very upset with what has happened to ML. Note: gameplay is excellent, ML is not. But, I don't want to disrespect those at Konami, especially as officially the embargo hasn't been lifted.

I'm going to try and speak with Jon and members of the Japanese team about it, before I completely destroy the direction they've taken publicly. Today is one of my darkest PES days in history.

Take care and speak soon, I'll be sure to try and divulge anything I can when I can. Sorry for the dramatic approach, once you hear about what's happened to ML, you'll know why too.

Speak soon.

Bugger! So, other than refined gameplay, I wonder what else will be included in this game that will differentiate it from PES 2012 and will justify the full asking price this year?

Last edited:

Don't make me have to get FIFA. Their CM mode is great, the gameplay is sadly not up to what I like.

Another year of wondering.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom