PES 2008 (PS2) - Official Topic

Just my two cents (I wrote this sundaymorning on earlier on a different forum)
----

First of all:excuse my spelling. I'm Dutch, i'm tired, and I did not have a single cup of coffee yet.

I've had a good solid 8 hours of gameplay (prof. level) in my system so here goes:

After popping it in the old ps2 the first thing you see is, ofcourse, the 'arty-farty' intro. Me, being 31, am more of a 'give me some nice shots of some good footy action' man, but instead I see a man with orange bubbles for hair running around. 'To everyone his own' I think and click the 'X'.

First thing you notice is that they removed the menu list for a more stylish option. You see all the options one at a time, and you can scroll through down. You'll never need glasses again...

Then I went straight for an exhibition match:

Real Madrid vs Fiorentina (they put my team FC Groningen out of the UEFA so I had some hard feelings there)

You see the usual options, only now it's a blue-star world.

I make some changes in the line-up. Put Robben, the old one-baller who falls to the ground if you shake your set, up there and commence.

I watch the entrance seen with special interest to see... yeah... to see what? They changed absolutely nothing! You see the same stadium views, the same shots of the tunnel, players going up there, side-scrolling the line-ups, two players at the kick-off, zoom-out, that's a wrap, play.

Oke... a little dissapointing, but it's all about the gameplay, isnt it?

I kick the ball around the park and I feel right at home. The speed seems fine, the player tackle like i'm used to, the passing is oke...

Then it hits me. I've not seen anything NEW here what so ever! Not a single animation! Not a single handgesture, nothing. All the same shots are in there: the ref not giving a card, but a warning, you falling over when you mist a good change, the same reaction after a off-side goal, everything. Absolutely nothing new!

So, then I thought, well I go for a dive. That is something new! But guess what? It is not in the ps2 version! I checked the manual: nothing, checked the inplay commandlist: nothing. Tried all the r1, r2, l1, l2 combination out there , and all I got was ruud van nistelrooy going insane. But did he fall? Then again, Ruud is a standup guy... (If any of you did pull it off, then please correct me!)

What is different is the shooting. You know when the shooting in pes6 was changed and you had to press it very slightly in the box, otherwise it would cannonball over. We all had to get used to that didnt we? And there were a lot of angry people here. Well, they 'fixed' it... Now it's kinda random! Can't really explain it. Just play it and see what I mean.

The keepers are a whole different story. When you shoot from a distance the are well placed and seem to now what they are doing. Then, every so often, you see them become 'butterfingers' and it'll slip through their fingers and stumble in.

And on a long shot that hit the bar and the was going to the ground, i've seen van der Sar turning and diving, in a 45 angle, to the ball. He tipped in straight in. No attacker in sight.

But when it comes to scrimmages this game has it all. Because they made it so that not every high ball is automaticly for the keeper (you can give him a hard time) you see a lot of them.

It is also very difficult to take it past the goalkeeper when attacking. The keeper just waits and when you go for the fake-shot he dives and mostly gets the ball.

A good thing is that you can now take free-kicks that go into the box where you go and try to get a header on there. It actually worked a couple of times. Also, the lofted through balls seem to be more precise.

I did not notice anything of the new teamvision, but that could just be me.

When I turned the season to winter and the weather to snow, all I got was a nice orange ball, but no snowy park. Again, this could be me, missing a setting because of the tears in my eyes, but could also be a bug.

When I tried the training mode (all unaltered in any way), I noticed that the only thing they changed was that they removed the 'rest' option from the menu. So there is no chance to start from midfield, with full 'stamina', in mid-training. Why, o why, you ask yourself.

I will not even mention the master league or the editing etc. If you have pes6 you see what I see...

And I could go on and on, but I wont. I really need my coffee now.

Last thing:

THIS IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL GAME, but it's not a new version. It is really not. And then i'm only talking about the Playstation 2 version as that is the only version i've played (oke, and the 360 demo that did not impressed me very much).

After playing for a few more days, I will get used to the shooting and the keepers...

But a new game/version? No sir.

This is pes 6.2...

Played yesterday and i must say... i agree 100%
There's not much "new" in ps2 version.

Nope but it's like that in every version lol.
Can someone please confirm that fantasista is not there (or I'm blind)?

Thank you.

I think this game is alright. After using chelsea against AC Milan, I felt like playing a scripted game. PES6.2 like someone said. The AIs just have to score you can't do anything about it but score back. The only difference i felt was the ball got heavier and easier to score. The game ended up 5-4 which is weird for me. Dida used to be god in PES6 but now it lost 5 goals. The things I don't like about this game are the menu layout, commentary got worst I have to switch to spanish for the first time in my life, my idol s. gerrard's face look more evil, shitty pop bgm music, robben looks like an alien, owen and f.z.dong looks nothing like it, no improvements in edit mode. i like the new face ronaldinho, crouch, rooney, and japanese players always get better faces. Although i don't know how to make one, but I'll like it more with new option files. I wish there's a WE11 NTSC-J cause this game looks so american, it doesn't feel like WE anymore. i'll stick with this one cause some new faces look good.

Fantasista is a completely different thing entirely it's like a solo player master league. I for one am REALLY disappointed that it has not made it into PES2008 as it was a lot of fun.

Can anyone share the action replay code please?

I want 99999 points of PES SHOP POINTS ^^

Last edited:
I found PES6 unplayable..man if Konami screwed up again I will be majorly pissed off. What happened to their drive? Their respect for football? The balanced, intuative games they used to release. There wasn't much of a difference between ISS Pro Evolution and ISS Pro Evolution 2, but both were playable, balanced, challanging in every mode.

PES6 was ridiculous, bad cotrol, slow passing, easy goals and astronomical scorelines. I'll be pissed off beyond belief if they managed to fcuk up the second game in a row. Unnaccaptable, useless nerdo pricks!!

ps. I'll reserve final judgement untill after I've given it a good whack!!

I found PES6 unplayable..man if Konami screwed up again I will be majorly pissed off. What happened to their drive? Their respect for football? The balanced, intuative games they used to release. There wasn't much of a difference between ISS Pro Evolution and ISS Pro Evolution 2, but both were playable, balanced, challanging in every mode.

PES6 was ridiculous, bad cotrol, slow passing, easy goals and astronomical scorelines. I'll be pissed off beyond belief if they managed to fcuk up the second game in a row. Unnaccaptable, useless nerdo pricks!!

ps. I'll reserve final judgement untill after I've given it a good whack!!

I really wouldnt bother pal, I played it yesterday, had two games, and it wont go in my PS2 again.

I will stick to my patched version of PES6, its much better, and in 6 years, this is the first time I've opted for an older version over the newer one.

The Menu's are terrible, the music is awful, the game is far more 'arcadey' now, and to be honest, for me its a disgrace. All the new moves seem to be missing ? no heel flick, diving, or the other supposed moves I've read. The faces on some of the players are terrible, its a lazy, lazy effort by Konami.

I have PES2008 on pre-order from game for the PS3, I just hope that Konami spent the time they should have allocated on the PS2 to making the 'Next Gen' consoles better, because this PS2 version sucks like a two-bit whore.

Very, very disappointed, much prefer my PES6 with the Fifa Commentary patch and all the other 'modded' touches.

Just my two cents (I wrote this sundaymorning on earlier on a different forum)
----

First of all:excuse my spelling. I'm Dutch, i'm tired, and I did not have a single cup of coffee yet.

I've had a good solid 8 hours of gameplay (prof. level) in my system so here goes:

After popping it in the old ps2 the first thing you see is, ofcourse, the 'arty-farty' intro. Me, being 31, am more of a 'give me some nice shots of some good footy action' man, but instead I see a man with orange bubbles for hair running around. 'To everyone his own' I think and click the 'X'.

First thing you notice is that they removed the menu list for a more stylish option. You see all the options one at a time, and you can scroll through down. You'll never need glasses again...

Then I went straight for an exhibition match:

Real Madrid vs Fiorentina (they put my team FC Groningen out of the UEFA so I had some hard feelings there)

You see the usual options, only now it's a blue-star world.

I make some changes in the line-up. Put Robben, the old one-baller who falls to the ground if you shake your set, up there and commence.

I watch the entrance seen with special interest to see... yeah... to see what? They changed absolutely nothing! You see the same stadium views, the same shots of the tunnel, players going up there, side-scrolling the line-ups, two players at the kick-off, zoom-out, that's a wrap, play.

Oke... a little dissapointing, but it's all about the gameplay, isnt it?

I kick the ball around the park and I feel right at home. The speed seems fine, the player tackle like i'm used to, the passing is oke...

Then it hits me. I've not seen anything NEW here what so ever! Not a single animation! Not a single handgesture, nothing. All the same shots are in there: the ref not giving a card, but a warning, you falling over when you mist a good change, the same reaction after a off-side goal, everything. Absolutely nothing new!

So, then I thought, well I go for a dive. That is something new! But guess what? It is not in the ps2 version! I checked the manual: nothing, checked the inplay commandlist: nothing. Tried all the r1, r2, l1, l2 combination out there , and all I got was ruud van nistelrooy going insane. But did he fall? Then again, Ruud is a standup guy... (If any of you did pull it off, then please correct me!)

What is different is the shooting. You know when the shooting in pes6 was changed and you had to press it very slightly in the box, otherwise it would cannonball over. We all had to get used to that didnt we? And there were a lot of angry people here. Well, they 'fixed' it... Now it's kinda random! Can't really explain it. Just play it and see what I mean.

The keepers are a whole different story. When you shoot from a distance the are well placed and seem to now what they are doing. Then, every so often, you see them become 'butterfingers' and it'll slip through their fingers and stumble in.

And on a long shot that hit the bar and the was going to the ground, i've seen van der Sar turning and diving, in a 45 angle, to the ball. He tipped in straight in. No attacker in sight.

But when it comes to scrimmages this game has it all. Because they made it so that not every high ball is automaticly for the keeper (you can give him a hard time) you see a lot of them.

It is also very difficult to take it past the goalkeeper when attacking. The keeper just waits and when you go for the fake-shot he dives and mostly gets the ball.

A good thing is that you can now take free-kicks that go into the box where you go and try to get a header on there. It actually worked a couple of times. Also, the lofted through balls seem to be more precise.

I did not notice anything of the new teamvision, but that could just be me.

When I turned the season to winter and the weather to snow, all I got was a nice orange ball, but no snowy park. Again, this could be me, missing a setting because of the tears in my eyes, but could also be a bug.

When I tried the training mode (all unaltered in any way), I noticed that the only thing they changed was that they removed the 'rest' option from the menu. So there is no chance to start from midfield, with full 'stamina', in mid-training. Why, o why, you ask yourself.

I will not even mention the master league or the editing etc. If you have pes6 you see what I see...

And I could go on and on, but I wont. I really need my coffee now.

Last thing:

THIS IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL GAME, but it's not a new version. It is really not. And then i'm only talking about the Playstation 2 version as that is the only version i've played (oke, and the 360 demo that did not impressed me very much).

After playing for a few more days, I will get used to the shooting and the keepers...

But a new game/version? No sir.

This is pes 6.2...

Absolutly right! man, this version is not even equal to the patched version of pes 6 i was playing the last month. the "older" version was more fun, really.

nearly everything was said by orangez... so, as a fan (really!!!!) i really warn you bying this game. dont do it if u got a nice patched version of pes6!

Just played the PS2 version of PES2008
and it's practically the same as last years PES6.
Most of the new faces are pretty bad (except for Ronaldinho, Rooney and a couple of other stars).
The goalkeepers are really making the dumbest mistakes ever.
On the positive side I've finally scored some descent freekicks in this game.
Oh another thing I'm furious about is the fact
that you can't give your players special hairstyles!
pfff
I think I will pick out the best faces from this game and put them in my patched PES6 game.

Actually after playing it a bit more I dont find it that bad, scoring is harder, and I dunno what all people are saying but I didnt really had trouble defending. Usual score is as it would be in real soccer, not like in the last two WE where the scores where more toward 5-0 6-1 than 2-1 or 3-0. Goalkeeper are better from long shot range, I really had trouble scoring even against low team.

Well for me there is as much difference in this one that there was between PE5 and PE6 not much but that's PES.

My advice : Try it before buying it.

In Italy we say "squadra che vince non si cambia", translated is "team who wins don't change".
PES 6 was a great game, why change it? A few mod, improve and it's all right!

ElCubano

Actually after playing it a bit more I dont find it that bad, scoring is harder, and I dunno what all people are saying but I didnt really had trouble defending. Usual score is as it would be in real soccer, not like in the last two WE where the scores where more toward 5-0 6-1 than 2-1 or 3-0. Goalkeeper are better from long shot range, I really had trouble scoring even against low team.

Well for me there is as much difference in this one that there was between PE5 and PE6 not much but that's PES.

My advice : Try it before buying it.

yeah sure! try it! dont think i dont like it. because its the same as last year, i do! but it hasnt come forward. where are all the features i read about: no "break" when kicking set pieces very fast, select the player standing in the wall, and so on!

btw: the tracking system only tracks the stuff u do against the computer. it wouldt have been so damn easy to let the player create a profile so that u can track scores and stuff from more than 1 human player!

and this is just one thing that really pisses me off. i will try to write everything i hate and the little i love about pes2008 later...

Most of the new faces are pretty bad (except for Ronaldinho, Rooney and a couple of other stars).
pfff
I think I will pick out the best faces from this game and put them in my patched PES6 game.

When you do mate can you post the bins so we can all put them in ;)

pfff

Amen! For me, all the good faces (and there are plenty) will go into my heavily patched WE10JL. Too similar to previous games for me. They've seriously cut out the editing options. No boots, and no hairstyles. On the patching side, you can't add any new faces, as there are no special and normal faces this time. Ill just use the faces to pimp my WE10JL. Patched WE10JL is football heaven for me! :)

pfff

NO special hairstyles are you sure look in he PES shop or something this cant be right!!!

I just get the PS2 PES 2008 and I confirm is the same as PES 6. The have only change the skin, but same options, same game...

Is going to be the same at PS3?

Someone pls confirm me something , on a review they said there was a game mode that allows players to choose their favorite players from their favorite teams and play, is that true or even partially?
Thx :D

I have just finished playing a few matches of PES 2008 on PS2. It is more or less PES6 with different music and commentary, updated rosters (but a lot of fake names) and two (?!) more clubs (Hello, Konami! This is not year 2000!!!). AI is more or less the same. Biggest difference is that they behave a bit differently in defence, sliding is a bit easier and passing is slightly changed. If I had to review it, I would give it 6/10.
Conclusion? I'll stick to my modified WE (with real names, clubs, logos etc.)

Last edited:
I didn't test all dribbling tricks but dribbling is more or less the same as in PES 6 with minor (mostly in graphic) tweaks. There are 5 difficulty levels and I played on 5th and it seemed kind of easy...
I have my WE with real clubs, names etc. so I'll play that.
I'll wait for some fully finished option file for PES 2008 and maybe, just maybe give it another try.

P.S. I ABSOLUTELY HATE THAT ALL PLAYER NAMES IN PES 2008 ARE DISPLAYED IN CAPITAL LETTERS!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom