PES 2008 (PS2) - Official Topic

For those of you who played PES2008 PS2, I want to know if the gameplay is scripted like PES6 did. There seem to be a major flaw in every PES, like the constant fouling in PES5. thanks.

Just my two cents (I wrote this sundaymorning on earlier on a different forum)
----

First of all:excuse my spelling. I'm Dutch, i'm tired, and I did not have a single cup of coffee yet.

I've had a good solid 8 hours of gameplay (prof. level) in my system so here goes:

After popping it in the old ps2 the first thing you see is, ofcourse, the 'arty-farty' intro. Me, being 31, am more of a 'give me some nice shots of some good footy action' man, but instead I see a man with orange bubbles for hair running around. 'To everyone his own' I think and click the 'X'.

First thing you notice is that they removed the menu list for a more stylish option. You see all the options one at a time, and you can scroll through down. You'll never need glasses again...

Then I went straight for an exhibition match:

Real Madrid vs Fiorentina (they put my team FC Groningen out of the UEFA so I had some hard feelings there)

You see the usual options, only now it's a blue-star world.

I make some changes in the line-up. Put Robben, the old one-baller who falls to the ground if you shake your set, up there and commence.

I watch the entrance seen with special interest to see... yeah... to see what? They changed absolutely nothing! You see the same stadium views, the same shots of the tunnel, players going up there, side-scrolling the line-ups, two players at the kick-off, zoom-out, that's a wrap, play.

Oke... a little dissapointing, but it's all about the gameplay, isnt it?

I kick the ball around the park and I feel right at home. The speed seems fine, the player tackle like i'm used to, the passing is oke...

Then it hits me. I've not seen anything NEW here what so ever! Not a single animation! Not a single handgesture, nothing. All the same shots are in there: the ref not giving a card, but a warning, you falling over when you mist a good change, the same reaction after a off-side goal, everything. Absolutely nothing new!

So, then I thought, well I go for a dive. That is something new! But guess what? It is not in the ps2 version! I checked the manual: nothing, checked the inplay commandlist: nothing. Tried all the r1, r2, l1, l2 combination out there , and all I got was ruud van nistelrooy going insane. But did he fall? Then again, Ruud is a standup guy... (If any of you did pull it off, then please correct me!)

What is different is the shooting. You know when the shooting in pes6 was changed and you had to press it very slightly in the box, otherwise it would cannonball over. We all had to get used to that didnt we? And there were a lot of angry people here. Well, they 'fixed' it... Now it's kinda random! Can't really explain it. Just play it and see what I mean.

The keepers are a whole different story. When you shoot from a distance the are well placed and seem to now what they are doing. Then, every so often, you see them become 'butterfingers' and it'll slip through their fingers and stumble in.

And on a long shot that hit the bar and the was going to the ground, i've seen van der Sar turning and diving, in a 45 angle, to the ball. He tipped in straight in. No attacker in sight.

But when it comes to scrimmages this game has it all. Because they made it so that not every high ball is automaticly for the keeper (you can give him a hard time) you see a lot of them.

It is also very difficult to take it past the goalkeeper when attacking. The keeper just waits and when you go for the fake-shot he dives and mostly gets the ball.

A good thing is that you can now take free-kicks that go into the box where you go and try to get a header on there. It actually worked a couple of times. Also, the lofted through balls seem to be more precise.

I did not notice anything of the new teamvision, but that could just be me.

When I turned the season to winter and the weather to snow, all I got was a nice orange ball, but no snowy park. Again, this could be me, missing a setting because of the tears in my eyes, but could also be a bug.

When I tried the training mode (all unaltered in any way), I noticed that the only thing they changed was that they removed the 'rest' option from the menu. So there is no chance to start from midfield, with full 'stamina', in mid-training. Why, o why, you ask yourself.

I will not even mention the master league or the editing etc. If you have pes6 you see what I see...

And I could go on and on, but I wont. I really need my coffee now.

Last thing:

THIS IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL GAME, but it's not a new version. It is really not. And then i'm only talking about the Playstation 2 version as that is the only version i've played (oke, and the 360 demo that did not impressed me very much).

After playing for a few more days, I will get used to the shooting and the keepers...

But a new game/version? No sir.

This is pes 6.2...

Abhishek,

this sounds excellent. i presume youve been playing with fairly decent sides so far. any chnace you could try out a game between two of the smaller sides AIK, Gothenburg, Wisla K etc...

pretty please with sugar on top.. :)

db

Just played the game, and really liked it. It's slower than any PES game I can remember, but it's slow in a good way. You can really build your attacks. There are some animations, which look nice.

@seven, TBH, I think the faces of players are really good. Regarding Ronaldinho, it's 100x better than Konami's previous face for him.

Some of the faces are quite good, but a lot of them piss poor!

For those of you who played PES2008 PS2, I want to know if the gameplay is scripted like PES6 did. There seem to be a major flaw in every PES, like the constant fouling in PES5. thanks.

I must admit i did notice a few of my passes going to players i didn't mean to pass too. But it's to early to see how much this is going to happen.

Could you take any pics?
I'd be able to tell the difference straight away.
Haven't seen any ps2 editing pics yet.

Just my two cents (I wrote this sundaymorning on earlier on a different forum)
----

First of all:excuse my spelling. I'm Dutch, i'm tired, and I did not have a single cup of coffee yet.

I've had a good solid 8 hours of gameplay (prof. level) in my system so here goes:

After popping it in the old ps2 the first thing you see is, ofcourse, the 'arty-farty' intro. Me, being 31, am more of a 'give me some nice shots of some good footy action' man, but instead I see a man with orange bubbles for hair running around. 'To everyone his own' I think and click the 'X'.

First thing you notice is that they removed the menu list for a more stylish option. You see all the options one at a time, and you can scroll through down. You'll never need glasses again...

Then I went straight for an exhibition match:

Real Madrid vs Fiorentina (they put my team FC Groningen out of the UEFA so I had some hard feelings there)

You see the usual options, only now it's a blue-star world.

I make some changes in the line-up. Put Robben, the old one-baller who falls to the ground if you shake your set, up there and commence.

I watch the entrance seen with special interest to see... yeah... to see what? They changed absolutely nothing! You see the same stadium views, the same shots of the tunnel, players going up there, side-scrolling the line-ups, two players at the kick-off, zoom-out, that's a wrap, play.

Oke... a little dissapointing, but it's all about the gameplay, isnt it?

I kick the ball around the park and I feel right at home. The speed seems fine, the player tackle like i'm used to, the passing is oke...

Then it hits me. I've not seen anything NEW here what so ever! Not a single animation! Not a single handgesture, nothing. All the same shots are in there: the ref not giving a card, but a warning, you falling over when you mist a good change, the same reaction after a off-side goal, everything. Absolutely nothing new!

So, then I thought, well I go for a dive. That is something new! But guess what? It is not in the ps2 version! I checked the manual: nothing, checked the inplay commandlist: nothing. Tried all the r1, r2, l1, l2 combination out there , and all I got was ruud van nistelrooy going insane. But did he fall? Then again, Ruud is a standup guy... (If any of you did pull it off, then please correct me!)

What is different is the shooting. You know when the shooting in pes6 was changed and you had to press it very slightly in the box, otherwise it would cannonball over. We all had to get used to that didnt we? And there were a lot of angry people here. Well, they 'fixed' it... Now it's kinda random! Can't really explain it. Just play it and see what I mean.

The keepers are a whole different story. When you shoot from a distance the are well placed and seem to now what they are doing. Then, every so often, you see them become 'butterfingers' and it'll slip through their fingers and stumble in.

And on a long shot that hit the bar and the was going to the ground, i've seen van der Sar turning and diving, in a 45 angle, to the ball. He tipped in straight in. No attacker in sight.

But when it comes to scrimmages this game has it all. Because they made it so that not every high ball is automaticly for the keeper (you can give him a hard time) you see a lot of them.

It is also very difficult to take it past the goalkeeper when attacking. The keeper just waits and when you go for the fake-shot he dives and mostly gets the ball.

A good thing is that you can now take free-kicks that go into the box where you go and try to get a header on there. It actually worked a couple of times. Also, the lofted through balls seem to be more precise.

I did not notice anything of the new teamvision, but that could just be me.

When I turned the season to winter and the weather to snow, all I got was a nice orange ball, but no snowy park. Again, this could be me, missing a setting because of the tears in my eyes, but could also be a bug.

When I tried the training mode (all unaltered in any way), I noticed that the only thing they changed was that they removed the 'rest' option from the menu. So there is no chance to start from midfield, with full 'stamina', in mid-training. Why, o why, you ask yourself.

I will not even mention the master league or the editing etc. If you have pes6 you see what I see...

And I could go on and on, but I wont. I really need my coffee now.

Last thing:

THIS IS A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL GAME, but it's not a new version. It is really not. And then i'm only talking about the Playstation 2 version as that is the only version i've played (oke, and the 360 demo that did not impressed me very much).

After playing for a few more days, I will get used to the shooting and the keepers...

But a new game/version? No sir.

This is pes 6.2...
Oh no...terrible!

Abhishek,

this sounds excellent. i presume youve been playing with fairly decent sides so far. any chnace you could try out a game between two of the smaller sides AIK, Gothenburg, Wisla K etc...

pretty please with sugar on top.. :)

db

Ill just play Wisla vs AIK, and post my impressions :)

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

I just played with Wisla against AIK. Lost 2-1 :(

Neither team created many chances TBH. Play was mostly stuck in the midfield, and rarely did the ball reach the penalty box. Played in the Artemio Franchi, which is a perfect stadium for small club teams. Regarding the gameplay, the more I play, the more similar it seems to WE10JL. It is slightly slower, and some new animations are thrown in, but I get the same gameplay feel when playing WE10JL, which isn't really a bad thing.

In another match, I was playing as England. Gerrard scored a goal from about 25 yards out. The ball went straight into the keeper's hands, but couldn't catch the ball, and it went through his hands. I don't if this is just because the shot was really powerful, but I hope this doesn't happen very often.

Still have to play some more games to decide whether it's worth sticking with this, or continue playing WE10JL.

is this exactly the same as 2008 JLCC?

Nope I didnt play it long enough yet but I would definitely say it's not the same. Also I didnt see the fantasista menu on the version I saw can anyone with the game confirm this ? Only world tour. Thx.

As for the intro, I'm 30 year old and I like it very much lol. Very style, very streetish.

What pics would you guys be interested in ? I can take some with my digital camera, I dont guarantee the quality tho XD

Few more opinions:

The keepers make mistakes. Serious mistakes. Bad mistakes.

Still not pleased with the regular short passes, since they are really really slow.

On a good note, the CPU plays really well, and has scored some nice goals by beating my defenders with through balls.

On a bad note, the CPU sometimes takes the ball and decides to just run straight past my defenders, and it has worked on more than one occasion. I'm unable to stop it, and if I get too close, the ball stills bounces the way of the CPU, which is annoying.

After 4 hours of playing I can say that PES 2008 is completely identical to PES 6 in terms of gameplay, graphics and animations. It is really sad to see that Konami put no effort at all into improving PES 6. As it was already said here, PES 2008 is just PES 6.1 with updated rosters and some new background and menu graphics.

Come on Konami, you obviously can do better than this !

Just my 2 cents

\.

On a bad note, the CPU sometimes takes the ball and decides to just run straight past my defenders, and it has worked on more than one occasion. I'm unable to stop it, and if I get too close, the ball stills bounces the way of the CPU, which is annoying.
yeah seeing this alot in d1 in master league which is all ive been playing since the ps2 servers are screwed up atm

its really scripted you can do nothing to stop it ive found worst of all is the cry baby cover boy christiano ronaldo his drives in2 the box almost always end up in a cpu goal (adriano eat your heart out)

but the worst part that in the game is the cpu can an does dive!! but you cant they've taken diving out of the ps2 version yet the cpu can still dive

im seriously thinking about trading in my ps2 an getting an xbox 360 next week ive had jack of sonys crappy online service

After 4 hours of playing I can say that PES 2008 is completely identical to PES 6 in terms of gameplay, graphics and animations. It is really sad to see that Konami put no effort at all into improving PES 6. As it was already said here, PES 2008 is just PES 6.1 with updated rosters and some new background and menu graphics.

Come on Konami, you obviously can do better than this !

Just my 2 cents
Wtf same graphics as PES 6 ? Are you kidding me ? I dont say it's better or worst but it's definitely different, face motion arent the same, kit are better made.
Gameplay isnt the same neither, it's not much different but it's not the same lol.

About the CPU taht goes straight, it only happen to me yet, meaning I did it, didnt saw the comp do it yet (playing in the hardest difficulty but only world cup atm to unlock players and all star teams).

Back
Top Bottom