Patch 1.03 Feedback

Charging down shots and intercepting passes has become realistic again and was something we instantly noticed. The instances when your players refused to animate to intercept even the weakest pass were greatly reduced.

You also tend to win the ball in situations where you would actually win the ball (e.g. timing a block tackle or generally stealing the ball when the attacker hasn't outfoxed you). Again it appears your players decide to act again more times than not and this in turn requires you to actually be beaten in defence, and cuts down the instances where some random factor determines the CPU can run through you considerably.

In attacking play vs Superstar CPU we also found if we wrong-footed the CPU we could break-away some, as opposed to what i would describe as an "auto-dispossession" occuring previously.

Keepers certainly did better, able to "scoop" the ball away as well as parry safely.

-

All in all last nights session was a positive one and i'll veer away from saying it was a placebo effect because 5 of us noticed the changes, especially in defence and the general physical side of the game.

-

I have my gripes regarding the game and would like to see PES evolve a lot more with the next iteration, but i would hope they aim to use the 1.03 patch tweaks as a platform to build a greater engine on and transpose what they have done right this time round to whatever new system they are putting in place.

played a few games now and that's what i noticed:

- goalkeepers didn't seem improved: maybe at shots from outside the box but definitely not when shooting from angel near the goal - they go down so early...

- shooting is much easier now (and still doesn't feel right)

- crossing from the sides got harder, the defence closes you down more often

- game seems to be slower (which is good)

all in all, not much difference for me, if nobody would have told me, i wouldn't have noticed the differences by 1.3

I wouldn't have noticed the differences either, really.

Did look to me like there was less bus-parking and a bit less cheating (this is in offline CL mode) - I kept a clean sheet vs Lille when I wasn't really concentrating that hard.

Posted this in the other thread, but thought it would be helpful to post it here as well. I'm using the PC version btw.

Ok I just tried to look for a 0 bar opponent on Quick Match, and the search timed out and said "No opponent found" after searching for about 5 minutes. It's either the 0 bar guys haven't got the patch yet, OR they don't know how to set the function. I'm being very optimistic lol.

For those who aren't sure, these are the steps:

1. When you are online, go to Options.
2. Online Settings
3. Quick Match Settings
4. Pass Support.
5. After that, go to Quick Match, Ranking Match(1v1) or whichever you prefer.
6. Wait for a long time to find that rare 0 bar opponent if they even exist.

Hopefully, it gets better when more people download the patch.

me2 :(

After about 10 matches on 1.03 in my 100-hour ML career, I have not noticed any gameplay changes except one: the GKs now catch and hold onto many more shots that they used to spill. This is a welcome improvement, and was contained in Konami's pre-release patchnotes.

As for everything else, sorry everyone, but if the changes you all see were really present, wouldn't every regular player of PES2012 notice them? And wouldn't Konami have advertised the changes, in detail?

Every time Konami issue a patch for PES (or even when it's just DLC), some people say that Konami have a history of making undocumented gameplay changes to PES over the past few years. I believe that's just something that people have said for so long that it's come to be believed as true.

Can someone confirm the patch overwrites Chimps with Quiffs gameplay patch? And if it doesnt how do i go about getting to play the game with Konami's stats?

The patch effects things under the hood. The changes will be there regardless of what option file you have on.

Hopefully it will work along with my stat changes to make the game better again. My stats are much more accurate for most teams, so you would expect each patch to play better using one of my files. I am just pissed off as my patch which was originally written for 1.01, played excellent and had the most positive feedback I have had on this version. It was out for a week and then they bring out 1.02 and the game hasn't felt the same since.

So I write it again for 1.02 and get it finally done yesterday and they bring this out. It wouldn't be as bad if you could copy each konami patch to a USB stick and put them back on if you didn't like the new one

To be honest i don't see much of a difference in single player.

I just played a match against my son and this is the worst i've played. I play on unassisted but players did very strange things. My gk left goal when i did not wanted that (and i've put the option where your uncontrolled players do things on their own off). My son had two red cards and he swore he did not tackle...he's only 8 and he actually cried (something he never does, he does not mind loosing). I was through on goal and suddenly the CPU changed control to another player...i won that match but i never had the intention things happened that i wanted to happen...this was really bad. Let's hope it was a one-off

After about 10 matches on 1.03 in my 100-hour ML career, I have not noticed any gameplay changes except one: the GKs now catch and hold onto many more shots that they used to spill. This is a welcome improvement, and was contained in Konami's pre-release patchnotes.

As for everything else, sorry everyone, but if the changes you all see were really present, wouldn't every regular player of PES2012 notice them? And wouldn't Konami have advertised the changes, in detail?

Every time Konami issue a patch for PES (or even when it's just DLC), some people say that Konami have a history of making undocumented gameplay changes to PES over the past few years. I believe that's just something that people have said for so long that it's come to be believed as true.

This.

People how can you not see differences between 1.02 and 1.03?!

For how long have you played? :)

I definitely see the changes. Better keepers at long shots, improved reactions, still not perfect in diagonal shots, but definitely better than before, catching more balls.

Second thing I already noticed is better sprint. Now player actually pushed ball in front of him and the balls is not looking like glued to his feet ;)

Third thing is definitely less visible AI cheating script. Now C. Ronaldo can't be outmusculed by some 3rd rate defender or be caught up by such. This is great. I hated when some 65 speed defender caught up with 85+ speed player. Like there was no difference in attributes. This is now much diminished. You can now actually outrun AI defenders with pace.

Plus many many more subtle changes.

Or maybe it's just me who sees those :lol:

Oh yeh, shooting still feels lame-o. Floaty, not enough power and there are problems with dribbling (player can be stuck on side step animation or push the ball forward and go in different direction O_O).

Hope yair or jenkey fixes that, but so far I love it ;)

People how can you not see differences between 1.02 and 1.03?!

For how long have you played? :)

I only had time for two offline ML games, so that may be it. I didnt really notice hardly any difference. The CPU was still as stubborn as ever in defence, although I dont have a massive issue with that. I would prefer them to be tight as opposed to loose. It makes it more challenging.

I'll test more, but at the moment I agree with Mr Houchen.

After a one mile an hour shot went passed a yellow arrowed Doni (who was rooted for an etenrity) from around 23 yards and looked pathetic, I re-installed everything up to 1.02, used Jenkey's and the game is better again. Using a combination of his new ball speed, shot power bar, whilst also reducing gamespeed, I now have the game I want again.

PS3 is a mess. PC is a little better, but I'm not doing any more KONAMI updates. I have near enough the perfect PC PES game with Jenkey's. Thanks but no thanks KONAMI.

joe hart must have turned into the worst keeper on pes since the update still saves the longshots but the amount of goals that he is now conceding when i play online that trickle along the ground and he dives like a baby in the foetus position is incredible. plus the AI of my defence doing weird things like moving away from the ball before i can take control of them thats if i can manage to select them. played another six games last night online in quick matches and the expierence was shocking could not by a win despite having more possesion in every game
my teams AI was diabolical and as for the gk i have already mentioned yet my opponents were excellent. when you play with the same team online all the time and use the same tatics when something is not right you notice it straight away and boy is something wrong at the moment. nothing seems to play like it did a few days ago.

Played two games with teams I have spent quite a bIt of time editing previously so I would know any changes quickly

First impresions

Immediately saw the game is slower. My last patch slowed the game. With this patch and my latest OF, the game feels like it needs to be on +1. Next thing you notice is the space in the opposition half. It looks odd after playing so much of 2012, to see players running in space with only a few defenders in your way to goal

I thought this would make it easier to score, but so far I havent scored more than normal. The opposition may not be as deadly with the the ball and this may make the game easier. I am yet to play it enough to decide if this simply makes the game less frustrating or too easy

All in all, I like it so far and it works well with what I have been doing over the last couple of weeks. I will have an updated file out soon with the teams sorted out and maybe the difficulty tweaked if it needs it

Played two games with teams I have spent quite a bIt of time editing previously so I would know any changes quickly

First impresions

Immediately saw the game is slower. My last patch slowed the game. With this patch and my latest OF, the game feels like it needs to be on +1.

Slowed it down how? Lowering top speed and dribble speed in the player database?

Slowed it down how? Lowering top speed and dribble speed in the player database?

I slowed short passing speed, dribbling speed, acceleration and response. But not all together. I looked at how players move, how wingers move, how attacking midfielders move and how forwards move and tried to get that the same as how each player moves in real life.

So far in this version I am only happy with the game I released 1.01. I got there for 1.02, but they released 1.03. I will put one out specifically for 1.03 and I am confident it will be best this engine will allow p.

Did you try my latest file with it?

I will have one out in a few days for 1.03 using most of what I did for my last file. Should be much better than my original file you were using

Oh yeah i forgot i was using the older one...on the case now.
edit: yeah the speed with the newer gameplay patch is much better...

Only problem i had was when i played with Arsenal v Swansea, Walcott couldnt really sprint away from defenders have you slowed him right down?

Last edited:
the AI of my defence doing weird things like moving away from the ball before i can take control of them thats if i can manage to select them. played another six games last night online in quick matches and the expierence was shocking could not by a win despite having more possesion in every game
my teams AI was diabolical and as for the gk i have already mentioned yet my opponents were excellent.

i noticed that too. defence AI is far worse than before, the CPU only needs to play high through balls to the CF and my defenders are running away from the ball. also a nightmare: players who have possession of the ball are losing the ball while running, then turning back and defenders seem to be physicaly nonexistent because even in replay you can see they should have touched the ball but the ball is going virtually "through" their legs, making defending a bit of a joke. goalkeepers are better when shooting from a distance but still a joke when shooting from inside the box and coming from an angle (they dive even before the shoot was taken!).

all in all the patch did not improve the game, it's not a surprise that FIFA outsells PES today in such an extend. which is a shame because FIFA is still not a good game. it's unbelievable that konami lost the magic of the game transfering PES from the PS2 to the PS3. FIFA has closed the gap, but only because PES got so bad on PS3... now you have the totally unsatisfying situation that PES is really bad compared to it's PS2 heydays, and FIFA is still unplayable for me because i don't like the (nonexisting) ball physic.

i noticed that too. defence AI is far worse than before, the CPU only needs to play high through balls to the CF and my defenders are running away from the ball.

That's exactly my experience. There are 2 defensive AI models in the game. One for the cpu team, where they pack the central area of their box with about 6 players, parking the bus. And and one for the human controlled team, where no matter what you do with tactical settings, you defenders will wander away from the central area of the box, continually leaving laughably large empty spaces for the cpu players to walk into, the exact opposite of what happens with cpu defensive model.

This particularly happens late in the game, when the cpu goes into god mode and invariable scripts itself a goal through this method of cheating. And if it cannot score a goal through that means, it will just run into one of your players, award itself a direct free-kick and auto-script-goal is complete. Either that or it will win a corner and then every player in the box that touches the ball, you defenders and keeper included, aim it towards your goal, as if the ball is being sucked towards your goal by some huge gravitational force.

That's exactly my experience. There are 2 defensive AI models in the game. One for the cpu team, where they pack the central area of their box with about 6 players, parking the bus. And and one for the human controlled team, where no matter what you do with tactical settings, you defenders will wander away from the central area of the box, continually leaving laughably large empty spaces for the cpu players to walk into, the exact opposite of what happens with cpu defensive model.

This particularly happens late in the game, when the cpu goes into god mode and invariable scripts itself a goal through this method of cheating. And if it cannot score a goal through that means, it will just run into one of your players, award itself a direct free-kick and auto-script-goal is complete. Either that or it will win a corner and then every player in the box that touches the ball, you defenders and keeper included, aim it towards your goal, as if the ball is being sucked towards your goal by some huge gravitational force.

It's my experience too

i think it's because the player control is too inaccurate. Many, many times, even in pes 2010 and pes 2011 there is like a magnetic force deciding that your player has to go into another direction, you just need supercancel to fully control your player

most of next gen pes problems come from inaccurate output to our input, this is what Fifa does best. If you press up, your shot or your player goes up, no weird magnetic fields deciding the direction of the shot or direction of your player movement.

This is part of the old abused ps2 engine, if Pes Team will be able to eradicate it from the game we would see a huge gameplay improvement, that's for sure.

By the way. patch 1.03 didn't solve the park the bus problem, CPU teams still do it, packing defense even at start of the match.

Last edited:

that's really ridiculous in PES2012: it happened to me too so often!
yesterday i played a game where the cpu team "parked the bus" for 90 minutens, than made the notorious high through ball to it's only CF. i could only stop him with a foul. CPU takes the freekick from 30 meters and it goes directly to the top right corner. luckily the ball bounces off the bar and guess where it goes to: right, to the opposite player which is surrounded by 4 of my players!

the extend to which games are now "scripted" in PES2012 really is so laughable.

did you guys notice such scripted situations in 1-vs-1 games too? to me it seems there are times in a game where you can't do anything against the friend who`s sitting right next to xou on the couch and some other times it's the other way around...

Back
Top Bottom