NBA 2K14

Can anyone recommend anything on YouTube which explains common basketball plays etc?

I've been called on for a technical a handful of times when i've asked my teammates to pass!

Also the park mode just is empty every time i tried which is disappointing.

Only issues with 2k14 so far:

- Playing a couple of offline matches and the wireless cut out and automatically got kicked out of the game with a message saying must be connected to use some features. Land back in the menu screen and game was gone.

- My Myplayer looks like Jason Segel... makes me cringe lol creating a new player next time I play it.

Still not a fan of the whole VC thing...

Quick note: I have the PS4 version of the game. I believe most of the issues I have are limited to next-gen versions, although I have not played the 360 or PS3 version, so I could be wrong.

Ok, so NBA 2k14 on PS4 has a serious, serious problem. Back in 2k13, they introduced a mode close to Madden Ultimate Team, you buy packs, get a random assortment of players, etc. It was actually good, for one main reason: you got the currency to buy the packs for everything you did in the game. Association, online games, quick games, mycareer (which also used this currency), etc. It was a nice addition. I'd play association, play some online games, and I'd have some coins to spend on either the my player mode or the ultimate team mode. Great right? It wasn't a big deal that you could buy the currency because it was so readily available.

But the next gen version took this idea and ran with it to an entirely different level. Every mode in the game short of exhibition games uses this currency, including the Franchise mode. Not only that, but the amount that you get is severely depressed. In 2k13, if you were playing Franchise mode and simmed a few seasons, you'd get a boatload of the currency from something called a 'Playing Time Bonus.' Now, you get currency only from playing games, and you get much less.

Now this itself isn't a big deal. Who cares, right? Only, there's one major issue. They removed certain features in the franchise mode, and you have to use this currency, which you can purchase with real money, to re-unlock them. The Franchise mode is abysmal. You have to pay for really basic things, like the right to edit your lineups or fire coaches. You have to pay to send your players to training camps to improve their skills, which previously was entirely based on how well your previous season had gone. You have to pay to unlock facilities, which is this game's take on Owner Mode.

On top of this, the fact that it's meant to frustrate the player into buying VC means they removed a lot of freedom from the mode. You can't edit players ratings, you can't put on trade override, you can't edit player contracts, you can't edit shit. It forces you to play the game in ONE WAY and ONE WAY ONLY, and frustrates the player to the point where they either go buy the currency with real money or just stop playing.

This is a major problem. If this is what the NBA 2k series is going to look like, that's a big problem considering that it's been the standard for sports games so far. The core gameplay is amazing as it's ever been, but if I get a whiff of this stuff returning for the next installment, I'm done with the series. Microtransactions have absolutely no place in the offline portion of sports games.

- Reddit

edit: wrapped post inside quotes.

Good post.
What a shame if this is true.
I understand microtransactions but then only in games that are free or that cost less than 10 euro, not in a game you pay 60 euro. That is a disgrace.

The whole VC thing was their way of combatting hackers but it hasn't worked and their general execution has been poor.

Can anyone recommend anything on YouTube which explains common basketball plays etc?

Have you bought it? I feel like I want to as it looks amazing, but don't know where to begin. My basketball knowledge is limited to playing it a bit in PE at school.

Same for Madden, would love to know what to do, just got no clue. I sort of know what happens in American Football but on previous Maddens I give up after 20mins.

I don't like the VC applied to offline modes like Association mode or MyGM (in this case). But, after 4 or 5 matches I had earned enough VC Points to unlock substitutions, fire coaches and the overal Level 1 unlocks, so to me it's not a big deal by now as I love the gameplay.

But I repeat: Virtual coins and having to unlock features should

In any case, this doesn't has anything to do with 2K14 specifically on PS4, but with next-gen all together. Apparently Forza and other incoming titles do the same. Big corporations are treating us like shit if they think that freemium monetization models can be applied to games we've already paid for, and specially to offline modes. This is just nonsense.

I suck at this game, but like everyone in the world, I too, can embarrass the Knicks:

856177_10151731784641765_1656012598_o.jpg

:LOL:

Have you bought it? I feel like I want to as it looks amazing, but don't know where to begin. My basketball knowledge is limited to playing it a bit in PE at school.

Same for Madden, would love to know what to do, just got no clue. I sort of know what happens in American Football but on previous Maddens I give up after 20mins.

Yep, had a quick go of the MyCareer mode last night and I was atrocious. Pretty much last my man every single time they ran off to get into space, the players move so quickly!

Looks incredible though and it's good fun.

I hate how bad the script, voice acting and animations are for my career. Everyone is an absolute twat. Plus you can't skip cut scenes! That fucking draft scene took like 15 minutes! FFS. I don't give a shit.

I hate how bad the script, voice acting and animations are for my career. Everyone is an absolute twat. Plus you can't skip cut scenes! That fucking draft scene took like 15 minutes! FFS. I don't give a shit.

It took only 5 minutes for me, I must have been much higher in the draft :P

Cutscenes are bad, but not as bad as I expected. Anyway, I'm playing MyGM or whatever it's called the Association type of mode. And it's very good. Mostly because gameplay is so damn awesome.

Did I say how bloody good this game is in the pitch? I'm still mesmerized, controls are tighter than ever and the right stick for dribbling and shooting is a little revolution, it feels as if it's an extension of myself, most times I think: "I would want to do this" and move the stick by intuition and the player does just what I expected. I can't remember a sports game where everything just worked fine.

I'm 5-1 with my fine tuned Pelicans (added Marc for Gordon and a couple more transfers and I'm under the salary cap with a great team capable of anything.

PS: Did I say that the gameplay absolutely rocks? One of the things I love of the PS4 is that now I can play in my coach with my big headphones on (I used to output the audio through the TV up to now) and the audio is so amazing! Really get some good headphones and enjoy pluging them in the dualshock4. It's such a nice feature of the PS4.

It took only 5 minutes for me, I must have been much higher in the draft :P

Cutscenes are bad, but not as bad as I expected. Anyway, I'm playing MyGM or whatever it's called the Association type of mode. And it's very good. Mostly because gameplay is so damn awesome.

Did I say how bloody good this game is in the pitch? I'm still mesmerized, controls are tighter than ever and the right stick for dribbling and shooting is a little revolution, it feels as if it's an extension of myself, most times I think: "I would want to do this" and move the stick by intuition and the player does just what I expected. I can't remember a sports game where everything just worked fine.

I'm 5-1 with my fine tuned Pelicans (added Marc for Gordon and a couple more transfers and I'm under the salary cap with a great team capable of anything.

PS: Did I say that the gameplay absolutely rocks? One of the things I love of the PS4 is that now I can play in my coach with my big headphones on (I used to output the audio through the TV up to now) and the audio is so amazing! Really get some good headphones and enjoy pluging them in the dualshock4. It's such a nice feature of the PS4.

On the court mate :). Reading your post makes me want this sucker so bad

Just DL'd this. My boys had a quick game while it was still installing some stuff but it don't half look good.

What modes are included? Is there a 5v5 online mode? I seen something online about an outdoor type mode but just wondering if there is a normal indoor 5v5 mode?? I only tend to play online so interested to find what modes are available as I'm out at the moment. Add me up if anybody ever fancies an easy win. Tag is PU6HY

Shameful.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/12/2k-patches-in-always-online-drm-to-next-gen-nba2k14/

2K Patches in Always Online DRM to Next-Gen NBA2K14

ollowing the Xbox One reveal, gamers revolted against its “always online” DRM policies that would prevent you from playing a single-player game if you weren’t connected to the internet. People made it very clear to Microsoft that they don’t want that for their games, and MS made a quick 180 earlier this summer when they saw how low their pre-order numbers were.

Unfortunately this anger was lost on 2K, who has just patched-in an always online requirement for the Xbox One and PS4 versions of NBA2K14 according to this thread on NeoGAF.

Don't think it's true. At least for me on friday. I played some matches with the ps4 unplugged. Who knows, it may happen to some people, out of the brilliant gameplay many people are reporting serious bugs with the game.

By the way, on friday I started the game and had to spare 3 minutes in front of a black screen before reaching the main menu. I panicked thinking my ps4 was defective, but it seemed to be the game. I'll try it agian today to see if it's a persistan bug or something punctual.

The rising amount of bugs in games suggest too many of them are simply thrown to the market before being finished at all.

I suffered the always online thing last week. I was in the middle of a my career match and suddenly got told if lost connection the 2k servers and got dumped out back to the main menu. Took ages to load too

The game is broken beyond repair: Bargnani grabbed a rebound! :COAT:

Ps: enjoying a lot MyGm mode, changed to All star difficulty and losing against the big guns.

Last edited:
MyGM mode savegame got broken after 20 games into the season playing 9 minute quarters, really wont bother starting a new one despite the game on the floor beeing incredible. This is unnacceptable.

can't progress much further in mycareer past training, certain cut scene triggers it where you push someone over, tried a new career and still same outcome, so frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom