NBA 2K11 - G.O.A.T.

Going further in the Association mode, I managed to get a streak of 5 consecutive wins with my Grizzlies. Right now I'm using a set of sliders I made for myself that I'm just adoring. Most of the CPU things that could annoy me here and there are disappearing as well the more I play and understand how to do certain things and partly thanks to the slider work.

I've tried many sliders and, really, my own set is the one I like the most. I can win or loose matches, but it's quite a fair experience. I have slowed down a little quickness for CPU, tweaked shooting sliders and most of all upped shooting and blocking fouls. This makes a big difference, because you now can be a real threat in the post with your big players. Get a good position to post and you can produce a lot of fouls during a match. I've had some opponent C fouled out, as well as I've been once with Randolph. I just like to have fouls into the equation.

Gameplay wise, it continues to be the best sports game I've ever played. A lot of depth. I keep changing my playbook now and then to have variety of plays and once I memorize them I even know how to branch them on other plays so I'm really hitting hard in the offense department. Defending continues to be a matter of teamwork (positioning, who helps who, learning patterns of play of the opponent) and individuality, and I'm utterly satisfied with the game in a way that other than an occasional multiplayer at Fifa I haven't touched any other game (well, yes, I play move things with the missus, but that hardly counts).

I'm averaging 90 points per game, cpu varies from 75 to 110. I loose against some of the big ones, but clearly win the worse teams.

@searain: I had some freezes and the YLOD with my old PS3, but, even if the game is truly demanding, my PS3 was already noisier than a chopper in its last days. Be sure to have your console properly placed, in vertical position, and watch if the fan makes a lot of noise. Those are the simptoms of a nearly died console, as happened with mine, which was an old fat 60gb model more than 4 years old.

That doesn't mean the game is bug-free, but I've been putting a LOT of hours into it and with my new slim I haven't had any of the things you put in your post. It's odd, because some people seem to have a lot of problems while others don't. That said, 2k should put a patch for all the things already known, but I'm sure they're working on it.

Been playing My Player too, I'm on Knicks, its lovely to play in NYC, but my situation is like airjoca, they pretty much suck and its so damn hard to win.
My team-mates just stand there, no offensive movement at all and I don't know how use playcall properly.
Is it that hard with other teams or I'm doing it wrong? I think I should not have gone with PG, I thought my height would limit me in other positions, but sometimes when I play SG I do a lot better.

On the association mode tho I comfortable playing, lost a few games but in a realistic way, loving the Warriors, Monta Ellis is very very explosive, infiltrate with him is fantastic, Steph Curry is very similar to Ellis and very good from outside. If you like to change your style you can always trust David Lee who is a beast in rebounds.

I haven't really seen any issues on the 360. Worst bug I've seen was once when a coach was accidentally pushed out onto the floor while play was continuing. He didn't get in the way though, sort of floated back to the sideline after a while. That's about it.

@searain: I had some freezes and the YLOD with my old PS3, but, even if the game is truly demanding, my PS3 was already noisier than a chopper in its last days. Be sure to have your console properly placed, in vertical position, and watch if the fan makes a lot of noise. Those are the simptoms of a nearly died console, as happened with mine, which was an old fat 60gb model more than 4 years old.

That doesn't mean the game is bug-free, but I've been putting a LOT of hours into it and with my new slim I haven't had any of the things you put in your post. It's odd, because some people seem to have a lot of problems while others don't. That said, 2k should put a patch for all the things already known, but I'm sure they're working on it.

It was neither my PS3 nor its placement, it was a corrupted Association save file.

Played 3 full 8-minutes-halves FIFA 11 match, then a full race with GT5 Prologue and some SFIV multiplayer matches, didn't have a single freezing/glitch popping up.

Then I went back to 2k11 and played a full 12-minutes-quarters "quick match", the game didn't freeze once.

Booted the Association back up, game frozen within 40 seconds from restarting the match.

GG 2ksports, I have now lost my Association (I was like a week worth of matches into it) because of their poor, electronicartesque coding.

Also the save/load feature in this game is flat out RETARDED, whoever designed this crap seriously needs to get fired: you got a truckload of different files (and you never fucking get to know which one the Autosave feature is saving) but you can't save little things such as players' shoes color/model edits or created players UNLESS you OVERWRITE everything else in the process.

I've just lost my created player Yuta Tabuse (the one that took me 3 attempts before I could finally fucking save it) because I downloaded some custom rosters from 2k share for kicks and the saving feature overwrote my main roster file when I applied it (as in load + SAVE)...how the fuck does that make any sense? GG#2

The game's got great potential but hot damn, half of its features either do not work as intended (trades and FA after the 1st year, home teams advantage, potential, rotations, turnovers, intercepts, rubberbanding, etc., etc.) or glitch the fuck out of your console.

Last edited:
thats really odd, cause usually when I apply other's save files (those that i d/l online), my own created players are still there (but in the created players page) and I'll have to manually move them back onto the team.

As for their save files, yea it is very annoying, but usually for association or my player, they only save the file that you're on...so what I do, have two files, and I can use one as back-up and the other as the main playing one...and everytime i back-up, I'd just save it onto my 2, then save it again on the 1, then the auto-save will only affect my 1.

In my player mode (i only play it once per week due to me not having my PS3 at res) My player was picked first round by Grizzlies. Thought it was good at first, but mid-way through the season, i found that my team-mates can't win without me. We were playing well from the start to November, but then i twisted my ankle and i was out for 2 weeks, then the nightmare started...we kept on losing (went from 2nd to 13th in the West), and when i came back and played, my coach didn't trust me as much (in OTs or final 30 seconds of the game) my coach would sub me off, and we'd lose (even if i scored the game tieing or leading buckets). We eventually went onto a 4 game losing streak and finally my coach took off Rudy Gay and made me a starter at the 3. The first game as a starter vs Suns, i scored 30 points, 9 rebounds (5 min games) but we lost by 1(i got blocked TWICE in the final seconds trying to take the lead...)But yea, I tried to trade myself to the Raptors (cause i thought that since the team is struggling to get to the playoffs anywayz, why not struggle with the team i support), but they wouldn't take me after 2 tries, and recently i heard that Magic and Lakers are interested in me, and the chance to play with Kobe or Dwight is one I can't pass off...so i requested a trade again, and next week i'll know if I can finally play for a contender or not...

btw, was so happy to win Player of the Week and Rookie of the Month awards along with my billboard (still waiting for my own shoe and SI Cover athlete)

I'm downloading a patch right now, haven't found a list yet.

I'm downloading a patch right now, haven't found a list yet.

Please do tell if the high socks and the high bank shots of the glass have been fixed. :)

Edit: Just checked it myself, they fixed NEITHER of these problems. Almost a month after release, they didn't fix two obvious problems on the PS3 that are absent from the 360 version. Thx 2K... :(

Last edited:
Ah played 12mins quarter yesterday and had a much better performance in my player, sucks that if you play less mins your objectives are the same.
I can only play like one game per night now.

i have finished the jordan's mode...10 game...simply amazing!!!

i have s-block the "create a legend" with mj..

best game ever..fantastic...!!!

Anyone fancy some online games this week?

I'm going to upload my sliders soon, I used a set from OS as a base and tweaked it.

Last edited:
Anyone fancy some online games this week?

I'm going to upload my sliders soon, I used a set from OS as a base and tweaked it.

I'm eager to play people. I would love to try your sliders. Which set you took as base at the end?

Is it possible to play 2 vs AI online this year? I guess it's not. But trying some cooperative teamplay would be great too.

I bought the game yesterday and although i'm a lousy gamer and my main problem is that i don't know much about basket, IMO the game is much more difficult than last years version.

I have a rather stupid question. I want to play a season or association with a good spectacular team, but certainly not with the Lakers...any suggestions ? Last year i played with the Bulls (Rose!) and thoroughly enjoyed it...now i want something else...a lesser known team that still is good enough. I used to love the Timberwolves, but at the moment they seem to be one of the worst teams of the NBA.

a relatively unknown team (in the world) but is a great/strong team is the Oklahoma City Thunders with Kevin Durant....They have a GREAT young up and coming team that is to challenge for top spots in the league for the coming years. Sadly, with the big 3s in Boston, Miami, Orlando, Lakers, Denver, they won't be able to challenge for the title just yet (But they should be there soon...once they gain more experience)

Other teams you can think of is Portland (Roy with good big men to grab boards and post a threat inside), New Orleans (You can't go wrong with Paul running the floor), Sacramento (Tyreke Evans...'nuff said), or Atlanta (Smith, Johnson, Bibby, Horford...young and strong)

Hope that list helps...if you're looking for more of a challenge, i'd always say play with Raptors...no super-stars, all just great team-work! *and my fav team*

I'm eager to play people. I would love to try your sliders. Which set you took as base at the end?

Is it possible to play 2 vs AI online this year? I guess it's not. But trying some cooperative teamplay would be great too.

I can't remember, I think the users name was hooserdaddy. I didn't change a lot, just some minor increases/decreases.

I'll check the online options tonight.

I started my Association again and beat Portland in a low scoring game, I didn't take my usual amount of shots (only took 39/69 shots) but I did shoot 50% from the field. I was 1/12 from 3PT land, I think this was more down to me though. I tried to push the pace but Portland slowed me down big time, I've got Utah next and that should be more open.

The game played out like a typical first game of the season, it was close throughout but I never felt out of control. I also limited B Roy to 22 hard earned points thanks to my improvement in calling for help (Robin Lopez) and making him pass out of shots. Although whenever Roy got a mismatch he destroyed Nash.

I'd suggest Portland also Gerd.

Last edited:
I bought the game yesterday and although i'm a lousy gamer and my main problem is that i don't know much about basket, IMO the game is much more difficult than last years version.

I have a rather stupid question. I want to play a season or association with a good spectacular team, but certainly not with the Lakers...any suggestions ? Last year i played with the Bulls (Rose!) and thoroughly enjoyed it...now i want something else...a lesser known team that still is good enough. I used to love the Timberwolves, but at the moment they seem to be one of the worst teams of the NBA.

I'm playing with the Grizzlies and once you know them they're a very good team. I would say I prefer them to Portland mainly because of the versatility of Gay and Mayo. Conley and Miller are similar, but Randolph and Gasol are far better than Aldridge and Oden if you get how to play them.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I will play a number of matches with Portland, Oklahoma and the Grizzlies.
I will also thinker further with the sliders because my passing is dramatic, lots of turn-overs...

I forgot about them, good team plus they have Rodrigue Beaubios.

I've dramatically changed my starting five/squad, I traded Josh Childress and Hakim Warrick to Orlando in exchange for Mickael Pietrus and Marcin Gortat.

I was looking into ways of trading for Beaubois and realised that Childress and Hedo's big contracts were holding me back so one of them had to go. Hedo is an excellent point forward so I decided to keep him... for now anyway. I've got my eye on Carl Landry in the mean time.

Childress is athletic and is a good defender but he can't shoot from the outside consistently. Pietrus is an upgrade because he can do both and he can also run the floor. He'll make his debut trying to stop Kobe :COAT:

Gortat is a very good post defender/rebounder and will take over from Robin Lopez (who is pissed off btw) as the starting C.

Grant Hill is injured at the moment and when he recovers I'm go to see what I can get for him.

PG - Nash - Dragic
SG - J Rich - Dudley
SF - Peaches - Hill
PF - Hedo - Frye
C - Gortat - Lopez

Re my sliders, my FG& is too high so I'm going to adjust them.

I didn't mention the Mavs because he wanted lesser known teams...Mavs, Spurs are all too well known...haha

but Tobi, u sent away Childress?? He has such a crazy shot...playing with him earlier, i got almost every 3 in...he's one of the best underrated players in this game (and that seems to be what everyone else thinks too in other forums), I'd rather trade Hedo away than Josh...but thats cause i'm not a big fan of him (after his Toronto days)

but yea, can't believe u're just 2-0 and u made changes to your team already...i can tell you're those risk takers who is not afraid to make changes to his team whenever he sees a need...haha, very Phoenix like...

Ball.

:))

I was struggling with his shot big time, I couldn't wrap my head around it. If I can't nail a players shot then there is no point keeping him because I'll just continue to miss those wide open shots and get frustrated.

His shot reminds me of Shawn Marion but for some reason I never had any problems with his funky shot/free throws back in the day. Its taken me three years to finally nail Grant Hill's shot, now he can an actual role in the offense.

Regarding the trades, I miss Amare (and Barbosa) big time and I don't have much of an inside presence so I'm looking for ways to compensate. I want players that can run and or shoot, Hedo can't run but he can pass.

I bet Childress shows me up in real life now.

I'm cruising with the grizzlies. After a streak of 4 losses I've chained 5 victories now. Conley, Gay and Mayo are just awesome shooters, and Randolph and Marc Gasol are beasts inside.

I have Henry in the bench, who is also a consumate shooter, and I got T-mac, Gallinari and A. Randolph for the rest of my bench. I have only 12 players and only make 10 of them play, but I'm a solid team without a great star but any player can score. It's great for those games in which you don't want to depend on a single superstar. I prefer a lot of players averaging 10 points than a single star doing 50.

I have problems when I face very physical teams with quick point guards, and the Celtics and Miami have punished me hard. But I'll get them later...

It works for the regular season by now, I'll reach the playoffs for sure, right now being the #1 of the west conference (14-7) followed tightly by 6 teams. Things are burning!!!

haha drek, i wouldn't call memphis without a big star, u always have Gay if you need that last second clutch shot...

But i agree with the team mentality, I love it more when the team is all contributing to the win (especially the bench, i love a strong bench). EXCEPT when i'm using MJ...haha, then i just let him do his thing and everyone else back off...haha

Yes, Gay is a great player, but it's not a superstar at the level of Nowitzki, Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Allen, etc... A bit of an underdog. And I love playingt the underdogs... Shame I can't sign Laimbeer for my team right now to add that extra dose of toughness...

Anyone here play with Dallas a lot, what is Jason Terry like, is he consistent?

I've got a trade green lit that would get me Beaubois (and Jason Terry) with J Rich going the other way. I haven't offered it yet because I'm reluctant to trade J Rich. I will have to though at some point this season because he will be an unrestricted FA and I don't want to resign him on a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom