NBA 2K11 - G.O.A.T.

tobi, PLEASE tell me you were using Malone to dunk on Jordan and not the other way around....haha

thats disappointing!! lolz....

I'd love to play you guys, but my PS3 is half-way across the world and i'm currently playing on my cousin's PC only...but speaking of Online, which version you guys have? Does it matter if we're to play online? like can a NA version play with the EU version?

It was the other way around...

I left my man, went for the steal but Stockton fooled me and passed it to the wing. I got caught looking (standing under the basket) and the next thing I know Malone has launched himself and is in mid air.

I'm 4 matches into my 12 minutes per quarter association and I've been using those sliders tobi posted a few pages back, a few issues popped up as of late though:

1. we're constantly conceding an insane number of turnovers (like, I get 2~3, opponents get 25 a match), no matter how careful I try to be with passes

2. 0~4 points a match on fastbreaks (due to the above reason)

3. the opponents keep getting 4x the points on 2nd chance and thrice as many offensive rebounds (despite the fact that I got Shaq...)

4. too many shooting fouls, 8 lay-ups out of 10 end up in free throws

5. there's almost no fucking point in passing/setting up plays: I get waaay more buckets by just cheesing it up with Melo/Iverson/Landry/JR Smith (Iso dribblings + easy jump shot/lay up) than by playing proper basketball (every other pass gets intercepted at an insane rate anyway, doesn't matter if I use icons or total control stick)

6. my 3-points% is waaaay higher than the CPU's even though they're both set at the same rating, Korver finished our last match with 51 points lol...

7. the CPU is just too good in the paint, I mean, you double team and stall them for a while but when the actually trigger the scoring animation you just kinda bump off of their force-field...

8. shooting when wide open takes just toooooooo much time. By the time your player's got the ball and adjusted 3 defenders have already caught up (hence the nigh-impossible fastbreaks)

9. the halftime match report seems to be either freezing/disappearing abruptly or showing the same irrelevant play over and over at least half the times...what's up with that

10. the CPU got MAD passing skills, they can hit anybody standing right below the basket through 2~3 defenders like nothing and you have no chance whatsoever to intercept their passes 99% of the time no matter how hard you try

anyhow, played Houston yesterday and after the 2nd overtime these were the stats (Yao scored 55 points, lol):

2kstats.jpg

a lil bit excessive, don't you think? We were like 64 - 61 at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Also, kinda pisses me off that any player below 70 Ovr can't even complete an open jumpshot/lay-up from right below the basket 8 times out of 10...wtf they're NBA players after all.

Any way to fix this mess?

Last edited:
Just wondering whether people use the button or the analog stick when shooting. I'd like to use the stick, but find that the default position of my thumb when I'm holding the pad means that pressing the button is quicker and more instinctive. Maybe I just need to force myself to get used to using the stick for a few games and then I'll pick it up.

I've played 3 games in my Association but I'm going to start again because I've noticed a lot of those issues that you mention Searain, I'm going to start tweaking the sliders tomorrow.

I'm going to test these rosters/tendencies edits, hopefully this will improve the overall play styles of all the teams.

The run plays being at 100 should make a big difference, in 2K10 if you didn't call plays (which most didn't) your team mates would still be active and try and get open. In this game though trying to run the PHX offense is bloody hard because they don't move unless I call a play. 7 seconds or less is impossible at the moment.

I use both the button and the stick for shooting, depends on the player. I use both when shooting with Steve Nash, Jared Dudley, Goran Dragic and MJ.

This game is just absolutaley amazing!!!

I've never before seen or played a game so realistic as this. I could die tonight and would go to my grave with a sense of privlidge and gratitud to have played a realistic game as this.

Last edited:
I assume so, it's still down to the stats. Note how he said, "Not everybody is Kobe". This is just to stop all players pulling off reverse double-clutched layups from under the basket. I haven't got the game, just sharing :)

Many courts are f*cked in the PAL version. However, if you're on 360, change the region of the console to N. America, and the correct courts appear.

Here's a series of before-after:

Jazz:
jazz-before.jpg

jazz-after.jpg

Bulls:
bulls-before.jpg

bulls-after.jpg

Suns:
suns-before.jpg

suns-after.jpg

Raptors:
raptors-before.jpg

raptors-after.jpg

Hornets
noh-before.jpg

noh-after.jpg

They had better fix it in the first patch/title update whatever you want to call it.

Hi all. To make a long story short, I was playing with my Grizzlies against the Heat on sunday and...

I was 15 points down at the start of the 2nd quarter, and was quite annoyed of some of the things Searain reported.

But then something clicked again inside me and begin to play real serious basketball, to focus on the details, to defendas a team and don't try to steal or block so often, just simply good defensive positioning.

In offense I saw Gay was on fire, so started to make lots of plays to give him easy jump shots. It worked and very slowly I started coming back.

Then I reached the 4th quarter, and got to only 2 points and 2 minutes to go!!! I was absolutely on fire, and then I blocked Lebron in a very spectacular move of Randolph, from behind. A total humiliation to the former King.... and then....

Then my ps3 crushed all of a sudden. YLOD (yellow light of death). Absolute bollocks. Miami heat are now officially Miami "hate" for me. They have done everything to annoy me, even crashing my ps3! I don't know if crashing the console counts a cheats by the cpu...

So, having right now a new one, I started a new association (lost everything game-related from the old console) with the grizzlies again. Here are some insights of my team:

I've reunited a great team, I think, but again I haven't touched any of the starters.

So it's:
Starters: Conley, Gay, Mayo, Randolph, Gasol
Bench: Maynor, McGrady, Xavier Henry (only bench player I kept because of his potential), Hakim Warrick, Ben Wallace and Cunningham.

Pretty balanced team. I have no shining stars, but all the players have a similar level, so when my second unit enters the court I don't suddenly loose by 10 in 2 minutes. Lots of combinations to ensure different ways of playing. And the first match against the Wizards was great, I won by 25 in my best match so far, playing incredibly well though Gay got an injury. Now I'll see against the big guns...

About some of the annoyances of the game, the only things I really think they should fix (or find a suitable set of sliders that fixes it) it's the speed catching up, the accurate bomb passing and the offensive rebounds by the cpu:

SPEED CATCHING UP
- I have very few points in fast breaks, and should be easier to finish alone and not being caught up even by the slower opponents. That said, I've learned to stop the cpu from doing so many counters but no matter how good I am and who I face, they always have some more points in fast breaks.

Try a more cautious approach to reduce this. Don't run a play that makes 3 of your players inside the paint and then do a stupid shot from the perimeter. That would make my team VERY weak if the opponent recovers the ball and it's an automatic fast break.

I've started to play very cautious regarding which plays I do and how, and I've dramatically reduced the points scored by the cpu. My scorelines will average 70-85 points in a 12 minute quarters set at pro simulation. It's a low scoreline but my style of play is slow, organized and quite positional deffensively, so I don't give away easy shots too often.

I have more problems trying to stop agile players, but that's good as it happens in reality too.

LASER ACCURATE LONG PASSES
- By bomb passing I mean those extraordinary long passes that you or the cpu can do now and then corssing the full court and perfectly reaching the target. It's good that passes liek that can be achieved occasionally, as it happens once in a match, maybe, but right now they're too accurate, specially the cpu, that likes to cheese with these.

OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS
- Offensive rebounds by the cpu are just too much. Not only they win too many, but they are allowed to dunk easily, while my offensive rebounds are quickly shadowed by 2 or more players making it virtually impossible to dunk alone like the cpu does. I've managed to diminish A LOT the offensive rebounds by the CPU by reducing the help defense option, that way my C or PF won't go to the perimeter to help deffense and will stay there with his man. Besides, I try not to be too aggresive on defense and manatain the team near the paint as much as possible, even if it allows for some easy points from distance. But this works to an extent and too frequently, the CPU wins rebounds when I have 3 or even 4 players crowding the paint.

Those annoyances, though, are small compared to the incredibly deep and rewarding gameplay. I run plays almost all of the time. It's important to know your players, stay loyal to your coach profile, and most of all, know your plays. Some more comments:

REGARDING TURNOVERS
To reduce the impact of turnovers or bad choice shots, I've managed to select the plays I want to run and know them for real, and now I really take care of where my players are and don't do crazy passing if it's not strictly necessary. Overall, I have 7 or 8 turnovers per game, which is quite realistic in fact. And the important thing is that by positioning myself well at deffense and trying to understand what the cpu is going to do, now I recover a lot more balls and do a lot of steals.

In my last 4 matches, I've had the same ammount of turnovers than my cpu opponent, or even less than them. It's all a matter of being careful with your passes, play a lot of icon passing and attacking abd defending well and organized.

For some reason, the game rewards you a lot if you play organized. Order in a team has an instant impact in the score, so don't let your team go wild if it's not necessary (do it if you are already loosing by a lot and want to put things to the limit).

REGARDING PLAYS
Plays are not only a mean to reach the final target. During a play I my find open players, or know someone will do a specific move that I can take profit.

I do this all the time. I may use plays until the end up to a 60% of the times. The other 40% I improvise something in the way or find a better chance at midway. I really love this, because professional basketball is a lot of this: presets that you can improvise on depending on yourself and the opponent).

My team lack a great drive-in style player, so I don't try to run to the rim that much. It's something that is great when the opportunity arises, but doing this as the main formula can produce a lot of turnovers, blocks or bad shot choices, and can make gameplay too frenzy.

Another important things is to know which players are good for what. In my grizzlies, Gasol is an ace doing hooks near the rim, but Randolph prefers a lot more to move until he can jump, and he will miss a lot of hooks. It's a BIG difference to know this kind of subtelties.

REGARDING 3 POINT SHOTS
I had to up the 3pointers to 50 (user) and 53 (cpu). Now there are realistic percentages. Watch out for the big teams, they can destroy you now from the perimeter...

I've found that if you run a play or do great teamwork, the open shots tend to go in more. It's odd how to say it, but when I do a great play and end up alone in the 3 point line, usually it goes in, while success in other scenarios can vary a lot depending on the player.

It's important to take profit of streaks. In my last match, Mayo had a 5/6 on 3 points, while Batum had 0/5. It happens in real life, so try to identify who's on fire and who isn't and get on with it. You have to use your brains a lot playing this game.

REGARDING GAMEPLAY IN GENERAL
There are some moments that you end up yelling "WTF" and have the urge of breaking the controller into some developer face. But I've reached the point in which I stay focused during the whole match, I've learnt to live through the bad moments of my team knowing that good moments will come, and that the game has its own ups and downs in terms of flow of the game.

In those moments in which my team seems unable to do things properly, I try to stay focused, don't run, waste a lot of time and not rushing things, which usually create turnovers. Then I use my C and PF to play in the paint and have some fouls on them, scoring from the free throw line when everything else fails.

Those little things count a lot more than it seems. And asking for a timeout also changes things. And putting the right players again in the court...

Even though it has some annoying things, the game is top-notch, gameplay is brilliant and I can't think of a sports game that offered me as much as this one. And I havent' even done the jordan challenges, not done any of MyPlayer things...

I'm very happy with the game and I play one match per day, not more. I don't want to rush things. Before my ps3 crashed, I had lost 3 consecutive matches (3-4 points difference all of them) and even losing it was a great time.

With some sliders work I'm sure I'll have a game that will last a year.

And that's it by now, it took a lot to write and surely I wanted to write a lot more things, like the great details you see here and there.

All in all, I'm happy to have this game and will play it before the footies every day and the feeling of being rewarded for playing good basketball is there, even though the game is HARD. I mean Demon's Souls hard style by default. I appreciate this in a game if, when you master it, it unfolds.

PS- Comentators can repeat themselves a lot, but when they start to mention things of your previous match, or other matches, or accumulated stats of the season.... wow, just wow. Its a great package with a tasty interior!

Last edited:
The game isn't that hard, it's just very skewed in favor of the CPU*.

Offensive rebounds, fastbreaks, passing accuracy, turnovers, rubberbanding etc., we've all been highlighting the same issues, whether it's on here or on the OS forums...do 2k sports generally fix this stuff with patches or are they just like EA?

It's also very automated, you can't even pick what kind of pass you're gonna perform or its speed/height/trajectory...that's bollocks imho. Sometimes it just feels like you're not in control.

People keep bringing up that cheesy "play baskutballz nut vidyagaemz hurrrrdurrrr" one liner but it's bullshit, on sim with default sliders you CANT play fast/uptempo offense no matter how you look at it.

You've got to be very cautious and even then there's still the possibility that the CPU aids AI messes up an easy pass out of nowhere (even though the opponents got no problems with hitting a man all the way to the other side of the court with a bullet-like, Wantedesque pass through 3~4 defenders frantically flailing their hands around for easy dunks), to the point that cheesing it with your star players and ball-hogging nets you more points than trying to play actual basketball.

Anyway, I've kinda stopped playing til the sliders-masters over at OS or the developers fix this mess. Potential is there but it ain't working as of now.

Had a Denver - Mavs match yesterday on All-star, 12 mins quarters, with JD's 100% realistic sliders/Nogster tendencies/Hoosier's rosters.

CPU was shooting 50% 3pts/65% FG, got 8 turnovers in the first quarter and basically every offensive rebounds out there even though we had Shaq on the court at all times.

On the other hand (with REAL % SHOOTING) we had 0% 3pts (ZERO out of 12 attempts or somesuch, w/ Korver!) til JR Smith hit a buzzer beater from his own half (rofl) and like 20% FG (with Iverson, Melo, Billups, Landry, Mc Grady, etc., they couldn't even connect uncontested layups consistently)...I was 24 points behind at the end of the 1st quarter and I got so pissed that I just turned off my console.

Game looks amazing, it nails the atmosphere and it's up to neck with nice little touches however it's just not very fun once the novelty wears and your suspension of disbelief gets dissevered by the glaring gameplay issues.

Last edited:
Reading too many posts by gamers, sports-gamers in particular, can sometimes make me wonder if some people ever allow themselves to enjoy any games, or have ever played a game where their paranoia didn't make them think they were being constantly cheated by the CPU.

The game isn't that hard, it's just very skewed in favor of the CPU*.

Offensive rebounds, fastbreaks, passing accuracy, turnovers, rubberbanding etc., we've all been highlighting the same issues, whether it's on here or on the OS forums...do 2k sports generally fix this stuff with patches or are they just like EA?

It's also very automated, you can't even pick what kind of pass you're gonna perform or its speed/height/trajectory...that's bollocks imho. Sometimes it just feels like you're not in control.

People keep bringing up that cheesy "play baskutballz nut vidyagaemz hurrrrdurrrr" one liner but it's bullshit, on sim with default sliders you CANT play fast/uptempo offense no matter how you look at it.

You've got to be very cautious and even then there's still the possibility that the CPU aids AI messes up an easy pass out of nowhere (even though the opponents got no problems with hitting a man all the way to the other side of the court with a bullet-like, Wantedesque pass through 3~4 defenders frantically flailing their hands around for easy dunks), to the point that cheesing it with your star players and ball-hogging nets you more points than trying to play actual basketball.

Anyway, I've kinda stopped playing til the sliders-masters over at OS or the developers fix this mess. Potential is there but it ain't working as of now.

Had a Denver - Mavs match yesterday on All-star, 12 mins quarters, with JD's 100% realistic sliders/Nogster tendencies/Hoosier's rosters.

CPU was shooting 50% 3pts/65% FG, got 8 turnovers in the first quarter and basically every offensive rebounds out there even though we had Shaq on the court at all times.

On the other hand (with REAL % SHOOTING) we had 0% 3pts (ZERO out of 12 attempts or somesuch, w/ Korver!) til JR Smith hit a buzzer beater from his own half (rofl) and like 20% FG (with Iverson, Melo, Billups, Landry, Mc Grady, etc., they couldn't even connect uncontested layups consistently)...I was 24 points behind at the end of the 1st quarter and I got so pissed that I just turned off my console.

Game looks amazing, it nails the atmosphere and it's up to neck with nice little touches however it's just not very fun once the novelty wears and your suspension of disbelief gets dissevered by the glaring gameplay issues.

Well, I play PRO/SIM and find it an absolute joy to play. I can do quick attacks now and then, mostly depending on the players and positioning of each play. As I wrote in the previous post, my main problems with the game are truly minor and I'm enjoying it a lot. I stress again I have no problems at all with turnovers, there are some as there are in reality and I'm cautious when passing and can do intrincate plays that feel very rewarding.

I only tweaked the 3points slider, but the rest is on default. Sure the CPU now and then grabs too many offensive rebounds, but I've managed to reduce them slightly, as well as fast breaks, that are now minimal.

What I really find is that the "rubberband" logic depends A LOT in how you play the game. If you go sprint frenzy, or trying to play quick drive-ins agian and agian, you'll be punished. When you go down in the scoreline, you just have to be patient and accept that now and then you WILL loose because players enter on hot/cold streaks as well as teams.

I've had Korver missing 5 open shots from the 3 pt line in a match but score 3 consecutive in the first quarter of the following match, or Mayo having a 5/6.

True there are some niggles, but I can understand all the complaints towards a game that is so close to perfection. It will never be perfect, but that's, in my oppinion, the best sports game I've ever played. I wish Fifa had these problems (if you don't like the experience you can always resort to sliders) and the same quality.

Reading too many posts by gamers, sports-gamers in particular, can sometimes make me wonder if some people ever allow themselves to enjoy any games, or have ever played a game where their paranoia didn't make them think they were being constantly cheated by the CPU.

What i say is, the CPU will always cheat against you, were not in the age yet were Game companies have yet technology for the AI to quite literally outsmart you 100% fairly in sports games. It's not possible yet!

For me it just depends how much he AI cheat really! From what I'm hearing the AI seem great in this game and all the sliders, you can tweak the game to how you want :)

The season starts on Tuesday/Wednesday so the latest up to date roster should be out by then.

Off Topic

The League Pass Broadband is free for the first week of the season, looking at the website, a lot has changed compared to the last two seasons. Hopefully they sacked their customer service people and hired new people.

Wuhoo! My player just being lucky, 2nd Round pick from Heat, and playing with the new big three. No way I'm gonna ask for a trade. Top of the league so far, and I'm getting good minute to play. But the iso move is freaking hard. I prefer doing spin with just a button rather holding clutch and turn my left stick which isn't always effective.

Dunno what the fuck is up with this game but I've been getting all sorts of glitches while playing (PS3 freezes in the middle of a game, freezes during cutscenes, freezes during timeout...the HP halftime show stops all of a sudden, the post-match highlights/stats screen disappears and you can't get back to it, annoying flickering screen/textures while playing and in the menus, my custom tracks looping 24/7 in game and in the menus at max volume, etc.) and they only seem to happen with 2k11.

...and now the game freezes my PS3 on the first timeout cutscene every single time I try to play an Association Denver - Chicago match that was saved halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Fucking A.

How the heck did they manage to get this shit through the Q&A session...I swear I'm about to turn the game back in, I feel sincerely robbed.

Gaming these days is all about exploiting deceived customers, I swear.

Last edited:
I haven't experienced any of those issues, the custom audio not shuffling is a bug on PS3 that'll be fixed in the patch.

I've been meaning to create some sliders but I've been distracted by My Player, I'm hoping to do them today before the NFL games begin.

In My Player I got drafted in the 1st round by the Wizards, playing in the backcourt with John Wall should be illegal.

The season is about to start, I'm going to be getting 12 minutes per game to begin with. With me being a scoring PG it feels like Gilbert is going to get traded at some point.

I haven't experienced any of those issues, the custom audio not shuffling is a bug on PS3 that'll be fixed in the patch.

Many people are having these problems, just take a look at the 20+ pages long "Glitches and bugs" thread on the OS forums. Drekker even got Ylod'ed while playing 2k11 within days from picking up the game unless I'm mistaken (and so did a RL friend of mine).

It's a fucking shame and it's probably compromising my PS3 as well.

Also, I made a playlist for each song, it's just that sometimes one track gets stuck and keeps going 24/7 at max volume overriding any other song, whether it's in the game or in the menus.

Last edited:
Wuhoo! My player just being lucky, 2nd Round pick from Heat, and playing with the new big three. No way I'm gonna ask for a trade. Top of the league so far, and I'm getting good minute to play. But the iso move is freaking hard. I prefer doing spin with just a button rather holding clutch and turn my left stick which isn't always effective.

Lucky you. I got drafted in the 1st round by the Timberwolves, and they suck big time, it's just so damn hard to win. However, we won the last two games, at San Antonio and Dallas, maybe the tide is shifting... :)

Back
Top Bottom