Mafia 2

Game Informer have reviewed Mafia 2 and scored it 9/10 across all 3 platforms.

Strange that there is no grass on those images but there is on the DLC for the game and of pics for the full game.
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mafia2/images/0/1/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;1

Is no grass a demo only thing?

Just found this while i was looking for reviews

The PlayStation 3 version became subject to controversy on 2K's Mafia II Forums when 2K's Interactive Marketing Manager Elizabeth Tobey stated that the PS3 version would be missing certain features that were present in the Xbox 360 and the PC version including three dimensional grass, pools of blood forming under dead bodies and realistic cloth physics. These features were said to be present in earlier builds of the game, but had to be removed to increase the game's frame rate.

Must admit I have played the pc version of the demo and the ps3 version and the ps3 version does look extremly cack in comparison. Didn't notice no grass, but did notice how crap the buildings and power lines and that looked. Also the draw distance was terrible, also noticed abit of noticeable slowdown which wasn't present in the PC version.
Have not tried the 360 version so can't comment on that.

Yeah the PS3 version hasn't been optimised very well. Still it's not stopping me getting it. I pre ordered the Special Edition from GAME.

This was one of the games I was definitely going to get, but there's no chance I'm paying for an 8 hour storyline and fuck all else.

When you complete the storyline, what are you going to do? Just drive around and admire the scenery?... Boring... :YAWN:.
There seems to be less and less games these days that are worth their price tag...

This was one of the games I was definitely going to get, but there's no chance I'm paying for an 8 hour storyline and fuck all else.

When you complete the storyline, what are you going to do? Just drive around and admire the scenery?... Boring... :YAWN:.
There seems to be less and less games these days that are worth their price tag...

+1.

I tried the demo today and it didn't exactly grab me. Nothing really original on offer.

There are other tasks you can do throughout the story such as collecting and selling cars for money to various characters in the game. You can then use that money to repair and upgrade your cars, and buy different outfits that become available throughout the game. Tasks-wise, you can interact with others/doing short tasks for random people at certain points of certain missions - be careful though as you can miss these.

Instead of focusing on the length and lack of expansions outside of the main plot, I recommend that you focus on the sheer quality of the game as it is for the full experience. The game is REALLY well made. The story, dialogue, and soundtrack are sublime. Furthermore, the detail/intricacies of the surroundings and quirkiness of the setting in the 40s and 50s is one of the major selling points of the game and my personal favourite aspect. I'm blown away by the depth of the story in the game as much as I was when the first was released. You'll also notice little homages to the first game in some levels which I found quite amusing...

If I had one criticism in the campaign so far it would be that the game is quite easy on the medium difficulty.

Last edited:
+1.

I tried the demo today and it didn't exactly grab me. Nothing really original on offer.

Did you play the original Jamez? If not then you might not understand why so many of us are still going to be buying it.

it all depends how good the missions are. The reason I loved Mafia 1 was because everything was so memorable and I played it at least 5 times since I bought it way back in 02. I'd say its a buy if it can captivate me in the same way #1 did.

That reviewer is wrong on so many aspects of the game it's laughable. To name a few, cars do need filling up with petrol, the save checkpoints are close together and it doesn't bring you back to the start of the mission unless you 'retry'. The story is a lot deeper than he makes out and the characters do serve a purpose throughout as the story unfolds. Has this idiot even played the first game? It follows a similar format and no it's not trying to masquerade as GTA or a sandbox/open world game it's a different animal - a story based in a living, breathing city.

Do Eurogamer have any credibility left these days?

Oh dear God! Eurogamer have lost all respect now. If they gave it 6 or 7/10 I can understand but 4?! And they gave the original 4?! What a bunch of retards.

The problem I feel Eurogamer has is most of the reviewers are very casual gamers with little to no knowledge or appreciation of the history of games. They hardly ever bring up new information on games, or talk about improvements a sequel has made over an original UNLESS the news has already been posted all over the internet for months already.

They do tend to hit on a few fair points in their reviews - like in this one they talk about how fickle the charatcer is and when you think about it, it doesn sound silly. And the checkpoints in the demo were also terrible at times so I can well believe they're as bad at time in the full game. But for the most part they seems to approach each review with an assumption of what it will be like and then if it fails to live up to that assumption it gets a low review score.

Last edited:
Review round up:

Game Informer - 9/10
IGN - 7.0/10
Gamespot - 8.5/10
Eurogamer - 4/10
Gamesmaster - 84%
CVG - 8/10
Gamepro - 7/10
1UP - Grade B
Joystick - 7/10

Did you play the original Jamez? If not then you might not understand why so many of us are still going to be buying it.

No I didn't which I probably why I'm not feeling this. Trouble is, I need a game to last me longer than 8 hours. I'm having to pick and chose which games I buy much more carefully now and 8 hours just isn't good value for me.

Its only going to be 8 hours if your rush through it like a twat.

The Eurogamer sites collective reviews:

eurogamer.fr - 10/10
eurogamer.cz - 9/10
eurogamer.it - 8/10
eurogamer.net - 4/10

LOL.

Just goes to show that you can't really trust individual reviews on their own.

wow this is shamefully bad.

70231839.png

Back
Top Bottom