Mafia 2

Finished mine in about 14 hours

That's because its on hard and some missions took the piss

yeah that fucker took me the longest as well :LOL:

i had to resort to
restarting the whole chapter so i could go and get some grenades because i had no chance of shooting them cunts up top especially the fucker with the molotovs. I had to do it a weird way as well to get anywhere near doing it, i drove in with a car and took the 2 guys out at the back then 4 came down the stairs which i took out, then it was the 2 up top that i failed on so many times that made me have to get grenades :)

I tried every which way to do this mission and hiding behind pillars wasn't cutting it at all :LOL:

Finished today, 13 hrs. Quality game with a great atmosphere, but falls short of the first game which was outstanding. Also not too sure why we got a racing suit and hot-rods as part of the limited editions, they serve no purpose in the game at all, maybe they'll pop up in the DLC.

Just finished the game. Took just over 14 hours with a 75% completion. Plus I still have the DLC to do so not bad at all in terms of length.

Overall it was a fantastic game and one of the years best. We have had great games such as Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption among others but this manages to still stand out. However in comparison to its predecessor it falls short.

The narrative in Mafia 2 was well presented but it felt slightly loose and at times was moving too quickly. Its clear that the developer has removed a lot of features from the game. There were meant to be side missions involving key characters such as Derek and Steve but without these it failed to improve the relationship and story between the people so at times, as a result it felt disjointed.

The gameplay mechanics were pretty good. The cover system worked fairly well most of the time. The shooting however felt slightly hollow especially with the use of pistols. This was further exaggerated on the PS3 version due to the lack of blood. Fist fighting was a fairly basic system incorporating three buttons and the use of combo's.

The graphics were extremely impressive even on the PS3 and together with the superb audio helped conceive one of the most believable environments in a video game, even superior to the Wild West of Red Dead Redemption.

In terms of difficulty the game was actually fairly easy even on hard. The only chapter that really caused problems was chapter 14 which took place at the docks.

The references to Mafia 1 were nice to see for those who played the prequel. One mission in Chapter 14 stood out especially and acted as a fantastic bridge between the two games. However the ending of the game was somewhat disappointing. While it was slightly shocking it ended far too quickly and did not build upon it as I hoped it would have.

The only chapter that really caused problems was chapter 14 which took place at the docks.

Finished that chapter last night, nearly had me launching the controller at the TV! Checked a walkthrough after I died for the tenth time and followed some tips on approaching it differently and that worked in the end.

One more chapter and it's finished. It's good, but not great. Not one that I'll remember I guess but worth playing if you like mafia stuff. Not worth £40, but worth £20 I'd say.

Fully agree with Billy in that some of the story seemed disjointed and a bit cut out.

It felt like too many characters were introduced but they didn't have enough time spent with them. Introducing all of these different families and names, it got me confused towards the end about whose name was who and with which family.

Derek and Steve REALLY needed fleshing out more, as did the guy who crushed the cars.

I quite liked the fighting, despite it being simple. Shooting seemed okay, cover system was fine although I did die a few times because the character attached itself to the wrong wall (chapter 14 being the main culprit here).

Some of the music was refreshing, although quite repetitive after hearing it so much. FAR, FAR too much time spent driving around as well, made me miss the taxi service from GTA.

AI wasn't great overall, police were really quite stupid a lot of the time. An example happened last night. I got in a car and was with Joe, wanted by police straight away and at least three stars of attention. After driving around and ditching the car, I needed to change clothes, so I went to a clothes shop. I ran behind the counter and hid, the police "wanted" level decreasing ... until a cop runs in without a gun and Joe shoots him.

So in the end, we kill the police that tried to get us, I steal a suit and we go to get a fresh car. The police aren't interested in us at all .... but Joe takes it upon himself to shoot at the police anyway, making the "wanted" level go up. We get a car, and he keeps shooting at police even when the level goes away again. VERY annoying.

Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10 I reckon. It's alright, it's playable, story is pretty good although could be a lot better, but a lot better than most sandbox games (although it's not really sandbox).

Have to finish it, but I'm at chapter 15 and I beated chapter 14 doing the following after dying 8 times:

I entered the hangar with my car, drove and killed the two guys at the end of the hangar and got out of the car. The bastard throwing molotovs can't see you because you're in the floor behind him so he stays still.

Then you only have to care for the stairs, where 2 groups of 2 thugs will go some time. You kill them easily in the stairs. Then it's only the "boss" missing upon you. You exit "a little" looking up and as soo as you can, you throw 2 or 3 grenades to the upper floor. Most probably you will kill him.

And eveything without receiving a single bullet. When the scene ends and you appear outside the hangar, your car magically reappears outside. Odd.

I'll post my thoughts when I finish it.

There was a stupid bug there as well if you went by car. One of the thugs would get near your car and would climb up while you drive! Then the idiot would put half his body out the window and try to shoot at me, but his shots couldn't go through the roof. I had to get out of the car, kill him and get in again. Pretty hilarious stuff...

The problem is that the developers did cut out so much stuff. They even admitted to it. Its a shame considering the amount of time they had. I remember it being delayed numerous times.

There were meant to be side missions, you could dump bodies into the trunks and fix broken cars yourself etc.

And then there was the lousy optimization job done on the PS3 by a completely unknown development company called Massive Bear Studios who are external from 2K and 2K Czech.

I agree but for such a major title they should have focused far more on platform parity.

BillyBoy you got the game pretty much spot on as too how I felt about the game.
You should start writing reviews...

The story was good although the speed of the story was pretty poor, could of done with either a couple more chapters inbetween chapters and a few side missions to introduce other characters better, which would be a player choice as whether they are done or not.

The extra missions would of pushed the game time up by a few hours as well.

The biggest dissapointments were the awful AI of the police, there is better policing in the Police Academy movies.
Also I did not like the ending, I wont say what happened but the ending for me was a massive let down.

I would prob give the game what most reviewers have given it a 7/10.

The game has potential but just fell short IMO.

On the big plus side, the cut-scenes are great. I kinda found myself hoping for a cut-scene everytime I went somewhere. Very well done.

I finished in about 14.5 hours, though I did a lot of driving and trying to get the mags!
Agree about the lack of side missions, I remember an early preview that said you'd see stuff happen as you drove around (a women being attacked is the one I seem to recall) and you could decide whether to intervene or not?
Also it's strange that the freeride mode files are there but not not used as well as all the side missions that are not used, you can talk to guys who never have anything for you just now? Like Mike, Derek, Steve mentioned above. Having said that I really liked it, just wish it was longer and the end seemed more like a lead in to dlc or mafia 3 to me. Unless I missed something after the credits?

Also why can't I use my steering wheel without hacking controllers etc, like I could in Mafia?

Last edited:
I did enjoy it, but did seem a bit short and also as already mentioned the story just wasn't beefed up enough. Didn't like the ending either, just seemed so sharp an ending.

About that mission at the dock, I did have some problems at first, but what I ended up doing was just running straight up the stairs into derek's office and just shot everyone from there, just hid behind the desk and killed everyone on the top platform and some guys ran up the stairs and done them too.

I didn't have any problems with the molotovs at all, they didn't seem to throw them at the office.

I did play on normal level mind you.

Also, anyone played the DLC? I have the Jimmy one that I'm just starting, but how exactly do you play the Made Man and the Greaser game? Do they just tie in with the normal game mode?

FD

Cheers Billyboy.

It's not bad, but I haven't saw much of a storyline as yet. Just seems to be a thing of beating the clock for various things. Mind you mine's was free with the PS3 game itself.

FD

I spent 2 hours doing chapter 14. And once it loaded chapter 15 the game froze during a loading screen. No way I start this whole chapter again. It's a real pain.

I spent 2 hours doing chapter 14. And once it loaded chapter 15 the game froze during a loading screen. No way I start this whole chapter again. It's a real pain.

The same happened to me. But my game started at the beginning of Chapter 15 after I restarted the PS3 so it wasnt too bad.

OH MY GOD!

Yes I'm up to 'that' part of the game around chapter 14 where you do a little side mission delivering a message and ... you know...
:CONFUSE:
:SHOCK:
Awesome awesome moment!

This game could have been GOTY if they had the balls to delay ti until they had it finished. The main story is good, gameplay is solid and production values are great. It's just that they released only a part of the game, it seems. If they had had all the DLC content in the game from launch, it would have been a different story.

I really enjoyed the chaotic shootings in my PC with the physx engine.

Finished it now and the ending felt a little flat. I thought the first game's ending was fantastic, but this felt like it hadn't finished.
Maybe that's the idea though, with it ending the way it did ... it gives them plenty of options to make Mafia 3 or DLC.

Back
Top Bottom