GRID (PS3/360/PC)

The handling still gets me as does collisions with other cars. I often come off worse in a collision with a CPU car... I amazingly spin round a full 360 degrees yet the CPU car has no problems at all... or im trying to turn away from a CPU car thats on my right hand side and im being pulled into them as if they were a HUGE magnet...

The handling still gets me as does collisions with other cars. I often come off worse in a collision with a CPU car... I amazingly spin round a full 360 degrees yet the CPU car has no problems at all... or im trying to turn away from a CPU car thats on my right hand side and im being pulled into them as if they were a HUGE magnet...

That how Codies Ai works. Now you started to see the "cheats", you see more and mroe of them.

Some other typical examples - the AI cars will often crash ahead of you in the track. This is often designed so you crash into them. I've seen numerous occassions when I see a crash ahead occurring and AI cars are spinning in a clouds of smoke around but as I approach, an AI car will instantly stop moving, losing all it's natural momentum in order that I must crash into it, rather than it following it's natural path off the track.

AI cars will regularly tap your rear wing and spin you.

If you just had a spin (invariably caused by an AI car), and find youself parked at 90 degrees across the road, there will always be at least one AI car that will just plough straight into you, making no normal effort to break or swerve to avoid you. This will lead to your car incurring damage (eg, steering goes wonky), but the AI that has just smashed into you a ttop speed, head-on, will then instantly accelerate back to top speed and drive off unhindered.

Look out for these, they happen a lot in all Codies racing games, and they still happen in this one. Watch the replays, they highlight how horrible their AI is, how it is designed to crash you out.

They do shit AI.

Too much blur in this game.. a shame.. but its alreay out a patch to solve this problem

That how Codies Ai works. Now you started to see the "cheats", you see more and mroe of them.

Some other typical examples - the AI cars will often crash ahead of you in the track. This is often designed so you crash into them. I've seen numerous occassions when I see a crash ahead occurring and AI cars are spinning in a clouds of smoke around but as I approach, an AI car will instantly stop moving, losing all it's natural momentum in order that I must crash into it, rather than it following it's natural path off the track.

AI cars will regularly tap your rear wing and spin you.

If you just had a spin (invariably caused by an AI car), and find youself parked at 90 degrees across the road, there will always be at least one AI car that will just plough straight into you, making no normal effort to break or swerve to avoid you. This will lead to your car incurring damage (eg, steering goes wonky), but the AI that has just smashed into you a ttop speed, head-on, will then instantly accelerate back to top speed and drive off unhindered.

Look out for these, they happen a lot in all Codies racing games, and they still happen in this one. Watch the replays, they highlight how horrible their AI is, how it is designed to crash you out.

They do shit AI.

Not seen any of that.

Picked my way through plenty of accidents without a scratch and other times, I've ended up on my roof. Its random chance - as in real life.

Plus, the AI cars inflict the same damage as 'we' get. I've seen drivers (my team mate actually in a Le Mans race) get the 'wonky steering' - I could see his front offside wheel wobbling and he was pulling to the side driving really slowly.

I've also seen AI cars pull over and retire.

Any other contact are normal racing accidents - though I admit, the AI can be too aggressive at times.

Not being funny, but have you got the full game? Its one of my massive bugbears about forums that someone will come on and say "this is wrong, that is wrong, that is rubbish etc" without even have played the game for any length of time.

Not seen any of that.

Picked my way through plenty of accidents without a scratch and other times, I've ended up on my roof. Its random chance - as in real life.

Plus, the AI cars inflict the same damage as 'we' get. I've seen drivers (my team mate actually in a Le Mans race) get the 'wonky steering' - I could see his front offside wheel wobbling and he was pulling to the side driving really slowly.

Any other contact are normal racing accidents - though I admit, the AI can be too aggressive at times.

Not being funny, but have you got the full game? Its one of my massive bugbears about forums that someone will come on and say "this is wrong, that is wrong, that is rubbish etc" without even have played the game for any length of time.
Paul, Winston's reply was to my post and yes ive been playing the full game (not for too much longer as my mate will want to actually have a go on this himself!) Just over a few races I noticed these suspect collisions and oddness with the physical aspect of the game. I suppose because its full on Arcade I should just accept it and move on :) Its a shame really because TOCA games of the past were awesome games.....

Paul, Winston's reply was to my post and yes ive been playing the full game (not for too much longer as my mate will want to actually have a go on this himself!) Just over a few races I noticed these suspect collisions and oddness with the physical aspect of the game. I suppose because its full on Arcade I should just accept it and move on :) Its a shame really because TOCA games of the past were awesome games.....

Hmmm... thats really odd then? But then, as I said, I'm one of those people that doesnt see the 'cheating' AI in Pro Evo, preferring to take the more romantic view of 'its one of those things' when I get beat in a 8-7 thriller :LOL:

Not seen any of that.

No, not got the full game...yet. But the demo gives plenty of opportunity to experience the AI foibles, particularly when I know what to look for.

Don't forget, I've been playing Codies TOCA games since the start, so have plenty of experience of their tactics. They haven't changed the fundamental way their AI behaves in that time.

That said, we having differing views of cpu cheats anyway - I simply can't see beyond them in PES any more.

Think I might order it anyway. Online racing seems good enough. After all, the only reason I play FIFA is for 5v5 on-line, so why not this?

Paul, sometimes mate you seriously cannot miss the CPU cheating in PES.... Have you never noticed your players suddenly becoming statues whilst the CPU amazingly has a Back 10 when you try and attack and a Front 11 when your trying to defend? lol!

Paul, sometimes mate you seriously cannot miss the CPU cheating in PES.... Have you never noticed your players suddenly becoming statues whilst the CPU amazingly has a Back 10 when you try and attack and a Front 11 when your trying to defend? lol!

Nah, absolutely honestly never!!! And to be honest, if that does exist, I really hope I never see it.

Like I said, I think if I allowed myself to see it, I would lose all immersion in the game. I've played ALOT of PES6, probably more hours in that single game on PC, PS2 and PSP than any other game I've ever played. I've never once felt 'cheated'.

Thats why I get a bit frustrated by the term as because I cannot see it, I put it down to people now using it as a ready made excuse in any game that might have a bit of wonky AI - "ahhhh CPU Cheats - of course - thats why I lost 2-1 to a deflected goal in the 65th minute... damn cheats"

It may just be generally bad AI, or even AI bugs/glitches, but to label anything that goes against you as 'AI cheats' - well, I wont put it as I'm in the minority here! :LOL:

God help FIFA09 when it hits after a day. First person to mention "AI Cheats"

JB - 1/2F
Dags - 1/2
DJ - Evens
10-1 bar

:LOL:

Last edited:
You're wrong about JB. He'll be utterly besotted with the game for a few weeks before, overnight, he suddenly turns completely against it.

I'll probably not be first to complain but only because I always seem to be a couple of days behind everyone in getting my copy. However, the time gap between me first playing the game and being totally cheesed off with the AI will be less than one half of a match.

You're wrong about JB. He'll be utterly besotted with the game for a few weeks before, overnight, he suddenly turns completely against it.

I'll probably not be first to complain but only because I always seem to be a couple of days behind everyone in getting my copy. However, the time gap between me first playing the game and being totally cheesed off with the AI will be less than one half of a match.

:LOL: True 'dat!

Alright I just got Grid ordered from Play-Asia, I reckon it'll arrive tomorrow or Thursday. Can anyone let me know how the online play is? Is it smooth and easy to find opponents or is it like some games where it takes ages to find a connection?

The attempts ive had to go online with this have been ok. Not taken too long to connect and play. My only issue is with the complete nobheads who decided to cause a 1st corner pile-up! Its happened way too often now and is getting boring.

P47203845 Aston Martin DBR9 play.com Livery
F93857372 BMW 320si Buchbinder Livery
M38572343 Pagani Zonda Micromania Livery
G29782655 WTCC Spec BMW 320si Gamestation Livery

Yea, you have 2 options - 12 mins or 24 hours! So much fun on the 12 mins though and I predict this will be really popular online. The change from day to night is handled really well. One thing I would have liked though is an actual simulated clock onscreen so you know the time of day (you do get a timer counting down from 24hrs though) - and the spotter lets you know certain milestones "Well done PAAAAAAUL, you've completed 12 hours - keep going" etc...

Picked up a copy today and noticed there are actually options to simualte the Le Man 24 hour at race times of 12 mins, 24 mins, 1 hr, 2 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 12 hrs and 24 hrs.

Shame there's so many options for loads of hours, I would have preferred to see more options for less than an hour....12 mins, 24, 36, 48 and 60 mins. Seriously, who's going to play for 4 hours, let alone 6, 12 or 24 hrs? The PS3 would melt. There's not even an option for pit-stops. I wonder if you can pause and save mid-way through a long haul...

Anyway, hope to see you guys on-line for some racing.

Picked up a copy today and noticed there are actually options to simualte the Le Man 24 hour at race times of 12 mins, 24 mins, 1 hr, 2 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 12 hrs and 24 hrs.

Shame there's so many options for loads of hours, I would have preferred to see more options for less than an hour....12 mins, 24, 36, 48 and 60 mins. Seriously, who's going to play for 4 hours, let alone 6, 12 or 24 hrs? The PS3 would melt. There's not even an option for pit-stops. I wonder if you can pause and save mid-way through a long haul...

Anyway, hope to see you guys on-line for some racing.

Ah right - I've never seen that! In the career, its always 12 mins anyway.

Was that online?

lol!! you forgot to add ODDS for Dags as well... he will no doubt complain about FIFA 09 in the same way I will (well we both complained about 08 within days of getting it!) :)

08 was fine apart from the response issues though, and I'm pretty sure that'll be fixed. Well, it was better than fine, it was great otherwise :)

Ah right - I've never seen that! In the career, its always 12 mins anyway.

Was that online?

No, just in normal Race-Day mode.

I must say, after playing it for an hour or so last night (off-line against AI, single races), there are some nice aspects.

I particularly liked the Demolition Derby, not least because with all assist turned off, the handling is good fun. It needs that delicate touch on the gas to keep enough forward momentum around the endless corners, with a bit of slide, but without spinning. It was as if I could really feel the tyres as they were reaching the limit of grip, and the car behaved naturally. Not bad for an arcade game. Also, the AI cars don't seem to have an advtange in this mode, unlike the point to point mode where driving with no assists is a waste of time because the AI car clearly is driving with assists on. I'll be avoiding that mode.

At the moment, I like the big American muscle cars best because they have this big car feeling, soft suspension and are good to drive with no assists.

Once I get the hang of it, I think drift mode with 8 cars could be fun.

I'll need to give the single-seaters a try with no assists. The grip they have with assists is ludicrous.

Disappointing that nearly all the single Race Days races seem to be 12 cars max. Evern the touring car race that was in the demo allowed 16 cars, but the full game only 12. Crap!

Hopefully, more than 12 can race on-line?

Codies have issued a list of fixes for their forthcoming patch - expected by end of next week:

The most significant, for me, is what appears to be an online mode where collisions can be set to on, turned off, or set to forwards only. This would eliminate wreckers and allow for genuine racing against all-comers. Good news, indeed.

Codemasters rep said:
The studio has furnished me with this list of fixes made in the upcoming patch.

unless obviously platform-specific, the fixes will apply to all versions.

the Current ETA for the patch is at the end of next week.

This may be subject to change

GRID Patch change list.
Network bug fixes
• When viewing in spectator mode – wheels should now turn correctly.

• Session searching now functions correctly when there are lots of full sessions (PC and PS3).

• Track and route options no longer change when host gets back to lobby in private/LAN.

• Race results are now correct if a host migration occurs at the end of the race.

• Other player’s progress/positions are now correctly updated when you enter the race results screen.

• Several NaN (brown screen) related fixes. (also this should fix the "thousand-mile-warp")

• Increased bandwith use in network games (to reduce lag)

• Fixed a problem whereby it was only possible to upload one world record ghost to each track (PC and PS3)

• Race to race lobby timer is now 15 seconds

• A timer has been added showing how long the session has been up and running is shown on the tickertape after joining a session.

• Changes to what is displayed in lobby when a player has kick votes.
o The player who has been voted for can see this fact and the number of votes they have received.
o Players who have voted to kick someone can see who they voted for but cannot see the number of votes.
o Players who have not voted do not see anything.

• Added ability to get the next page of sessions in private session results (PC and PS3)

• Banned sessions no longer appear in private session list.

• Reverse gear is now disabled for the first two seconds of a network race to stop players reversing off the start line.

• Added ability to change collision types in online and LAN sessions (not enabled in Demolition Derby).
o Forward Only (this is the normal behaviour for Ranked/Unranked)
o On (Collisions are always on)
o Off (Always off).
:))

• Numerous anti griefing checks to turn off collisions when players are griefing.

• Fix for distance shown in distance online stat.

• A warning message is now shown the first time you enter system link.

• In non-drift races, the race results screen shows the fastest lap that each player achieved in that race.

• When a player retires or terminally damages in race, a message telling all players of this fact is sent to the chat system so displayed in the overlay in game.

• Cars become semi-transparent when collisions are turned off due to griefing.

• Improvements to prediction system to reduce effects of lag when players are close by

Game - general

• Xbox 360 achievement fix. (Drive 'em all)

• Several optimisations and performance improvements.

• It is now possible to look left and right while in bonnet camera.

• Fix for a hang when selecting a gear outside the gears available on the vehicle (this was possible with H-Shifter)

• Fix for cars very occasionally flying into the air when hitting kerbs.

• Fixes for custom action maps

• Track rendering optimisations.

• Brown screen problem no longer awards achievements or causes glowing white cars.

• Fix for airborne achievement – now awarded even if car flips upside down during jump

• Fixed frame rate stalls and stuttering on Xbox 360.

PC Specific Changes
• Added support for Xinput wheel and Logitech Rumblepad 2, including default action map configurations.

• Adding ability to use H-pattern shifter in custom configuration by allowing configuration of gears 1 to 6 and reverse. Same for boost.

• Fix for missing Force feedback on Vista.

• Given user the ability to configure use of a pad or wheel through the hardware config xml file, this means that if the game fails to auto-detect the device type, they can specify it themselves.

• Changing microcode optimisation level for NVIDIA 7xxx series graphics cards to reduce a pause when using each shader for the first time.

• Adding support for triple head displays.

• Graphical corruption fix when using multiple GPU’s.

• Network chat text made less obtrusive.

• Numerous on-going compatibility fixes.

Back
Top Bottom