GRID (PS3/360/PC)

I agree with you on the catch-up AI, 100%.

Just before I get into that, what level are you playing on - i.e. are you in Pro mode, assists off etc? Its still a challenging drive if you knock all the help off.

Now, the catch up. You've got to remember, this is 'arcade' racing - as much as Codemasters want to label this a sim or whatever. To that end, the fact that you can be involved with sometimes a pack of 19 other cars round a track does make it exciting. If you suspend the disbelief and accept the game for what it is, then I think you'd enjoy it more!

If its something you cannot live with, then you shouldnt have brought the game - especially knowing full well what it would be like when you asked me if these 'cheats' still existing in this version of Codies racing games.

(Here he goes again...) the feeling with the G25 wheel is just awesome with this game and whilst its not a patch on the driving model of GT5p, its superb in its own, different way - and whilst my credibility, or lack of it, is in the toilet, I still rate this the best driving game I've ever played.

The same way people may say Everbodys Golf is the best golf game they've played - but why? Its not realistic, it features cartoon players, the physics arent exactly rocket science and things like 'big cups' and 'super backspin' etc make it strictly arcade. The reason people love EG is because it is FUN and you 'get what you see' with it. Same with GRiD, it doesnt try to accurately reproduce physics down to the last pound of G-Force, it is a balls out, arcade-based, exciting racer, that grabs you by the balls for 5 minute spells and leaves you breathless as you cross the line.

There seem to be 2 groups of people - those that accept what I've just wrote and those that dont.

Best thing you can do is list it on eBay and forget about it.

Oh, BTW, you can test drive/time trial a car if you go to 'View Car' and then I think its the Square button to test drive alone on any track...

I accept that I (to some extent) knew what I was getting with the AI - I've a post on this thread about the demo where I allowed the AI cars to lap me and they went into parade lap mode, politely driving around at half pace, despite there being nearly 2 laps to go.

But that was when I was a lap down - I am disappointed with being only about 20-30 seconds behind them, the AI all slow down, but even more alarming was when I caught them up and was zooming past them at top speed, some of them were instantly given a surge of speed to catch and overtake me on that same straight. That's taking it too far, even accepting that it is an arcade racer, and accepting that Codies have not tried to hype this as a sim this time. The sense of being in a real race is totally lost if the AI virtually stop when you cock up to ensure you catch up. Where is the satisfaction in winning? Or perhaps the satisfaction comes from knowing the AI will be given speed boosts if you're doing rather well?

I would also say it is clear evidence of the AI not being subject to the same laws of physics. And that's not going into the real issue of heavily biased physics....during collisions.

Even so, I didn't buy the game to race against the AI. I knew I didn't like the fundamentals of Codies AI, and I still don't. What I had hoped was that the real fun would be on-line, but that has, thus far, been disappointing.

As much as anything, it just the sheer lack of other racers. Even when I do find another room with more than 2 or 3 people, they all, without exception, race with full driving aids. At least 50% are hell bent on wrecking (even when they pull alongside and are overtaking someone, they feel it necessary to ram them off). And I've yet to have a single race on my favourite tracks with my favourite cars. I need to make some racing buddies and create some private sessions, that is clear.

As for your other questions, against the AI, I've been racing on "serious". Driving aids? Depends on the track and the car. Sometimes, it's just not possible to keep up with the AI with assists off. My preference is the big American cars with assists off - I quite like the way Codies have done the handling here. Quite enjoy racing against the AI on Long Beach short and a few other tracks.

There's still fun to be had against the AI - it just depends on the car, the track and how Codies have done their AI for that particular combination. Some are garbage, some are good. Incidently, I haven't even started the career mode yet...just doing free races.

It's a mixed bag of a game. I like the speed and "thrills", some of the cars, some of the tracks, but hate aspects of the AI and the handling of some of the cars.

Still, I've spent longer with this than I have with GT5, which says something for the game.

Thanks for the tip about finding the practise mode. I suspected it would be hidden somewhere within.

Career mode is really where its at - really good and quite indepth.

As a PS3 owner, I'm waiting for the update due this week which will fix the private sessions (and fix some other bits) and we've gota good list of honest racers lined up on AVF ready for this.

I accept that I (to some extent) knew what I was getting with the AI - I've a post on this thread about the demo where I allowed the AI cars to lap me and they went into parade lap mode, politely driving around at half pace, despite there being nearly 2 laps to go.

But that was when I was a lap down - I am disappointed with being only about 20-30 seconds behind them, the AI all slow down, but even more alarming was when I caught them up and was zooming past them at top speed, some of them were instantly given a surge of speed to catch and overtake me on that same straight. That's taking it too far, even accepting that it is an arcade racer, and accepting that Codies have not tried to hype this as a sim this time. The sense of being in a real race is totally lost if the AI virtually stop when you cock up to ensure you catch up. Where is the satisfaction in winning? Or perhaps the satisfaction comes from knowing the AI will be given speed boosts if you're doing rather well?

I would also say it is clear evidence of the AI not being subject to the same laws of physics. And that's not going into the real issue of heavily biased physics....during collisions.

Even so, I didn't buy the game to race against the AI. I knew I didn't like the fundamentals of Codies AI, and I still don't. What I had hoped was that the real fun would be on-line, but that has, thus far, been disappointing.

As much as anything, it just the sheer lack of other racers. Even when I do find another room with more than 2 or 3 people, they all, without exception, race with full driving aids. At least 50% are hell bent on wrecking (even when they pull alongside and are overtaking someone, they feel it necessary to ram them off). And I've yet to have a single race on my favourite tracks with my favourite cars. I need to make some racing buddies and create some private sessions, that is clear.

As for your other questions, against the AI, I've been racing on "serious". Driving aids? Depends on the track and the car. Sometimes, it's just not possible to keep up with the AI with assists off. My preference is the big American cars with assists off - I quite like the way Codies have done the handling here. Quite enjoy racing against the AI on Long Beach short and a few other tracks.

There's still fun to be had against the AI - it just depends on the car, the track and how Codies have done their AI for that particular combination. Some are garbage, some are good. Incidently, I haven't even started the career mode yet...just doing free races.

It's a mixed bag of a game. I like the speed and "thrills", some of the cars, some of the tracks, but hate aspects of the AI and the handling of some of the cars.

Still, I've spent longer with this than I have with GT5, which says something for the game.

Thanks for the tip about finding the practise mode. I suspected it would be hidden somewhere within.

He blitzed me in our races last week, or the week before?

Although I wasn't much competition as I didn't know any of the tracks and I hadn't raced with the open wheel cars either.

I'm still shite with open wheel but id say i'm pretty good to great with drift style and the european cars like the pro tuned stuff. I cant get used to the American muscle - those big shites handle like a bathtub.

I find it sooo hard when using steering wheel and pedals, i have the pro wheel and no matter how much i adjust it its doenst feel right =(, I play F1 and GT5 and the steering wheel feels brilliant, but with Race driver: Grid the slightest movement its spears of sharply, anyone have the same issue with theres? .. I dont particually feel the same using a controller =(

I find it sooo hard when using steering wheel and pedals, i have the pro wheel and no matter how much i adjust it its doenst feel right =(, I play F1 and GT5 and the steering wheel feels brilliant, but with Race driver: Grid the slightest movement its spears of sharply, anyone have the same issue with theres? .. I dont particually feel the same using a controller =(
Yep same issue with the Offical 360 Wheel and the game. Almost as if this game wasnt meant for a Wheel.

Yep same issue with the Offical 360 Wheel and the game. Almost as if this game wasnt meant for a Wheel.

Perfect for me chaps (PS3, G25).

Have you tried the advanced wheel settings? There is one - which I cannot remember, but its default is "4", which needs to go down to "0" for best results. Think it might be "Steering Linearity".

With it too high, then my wheel rocks side to side. At 0, perfect and responsive.

Got the new patch last night - fucked up the mp lobbies a bit, but CM are working on a fix.

But the private session list was massive, so they've fixed that and the races have collisions off now (didnt play long enough to see if its permanent or a new option), but anyway - was superb. No more worrying about getting booted off the track and though it feels a little artificial, it made for some great racing.

I'll be happy if you can have collisions on in private races as you (should!) be able to trust people you know in a race to not smash into you.

Got the new patch last night - fucked up the mp lobbies a bit, but CM are working on a fix.

But the private session list was massive, so they've fixed that and the races have collisions off now (didnt play long enough to see if its permanent or a new option), but anyway - was superb. No more worrying about getting booted off the track and though it feels a little artificial, it made for some great racing.

I'll be happy if you can have collisions on in private races as you (should!) be able to trust people you know in a race to not smash into you.
I NEVER play this without collisions on, its pretty pointless being able to drive thru people!

I NEVER play this without collisions on, its pretty pointless being able to drive thru people!

Kinda agree but with Grid I think I would enjoy it more without collisions. online there is too many car wreckers! does my head in..

Codemasters today announced the upcoming release of the first downloadable content pack for Race Driver: GRID, with the reveal of the ‘8 Ball' pack coming this fall for the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3.

The ‘8 Ball' pack is set to feature eight new cars to race and two new online events to compete in.

‘8 Ball' DLC Pack Cars:

· McLaren F1 GTR – The McLaren F1 GTR wrote itself into the history books as the only GT car to ever win Le Mans and is considered one of the finest examples of automotive engineering in history.

· TVR Cerbera Speed 12 – The TVR 12 smashes past 60 MPH in just under 3 seconds. Production models were planned, but they were considered too powerful to sell to the general public.

· Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X – For over a decade the Evo has been billed as a supercar slayer – now the Evo-X in GRID lets you unleash its sledgehammer aggression in the Pro-Tuned class.

· Honda S2000 – This roadster is heavily modified for drifting and has become a cult-favourite thanks to its award winning engine.

· Nissan GT-R GT500 – The production model was Top Gear's Supercar of the Year 2007. Now one of the world's hottest cars makes its debut in Race Driver: GRID in its fully tuned racing spec.

· VW Nardo – This powerful concept car made real from VW uses its 600BHP engine to rocket to 60MPH in 3.1 seconds.

· Pontiac Firebird Trans AM – The 1971 racing edition of this true American legend is a worthy addition to GRID's exclusive group of muscle cars.

· Volvo C30 – Adding to Race Driver: GRID's touring car roster comes the C30, Volvo's agile, cutting edge hot-hatch straight from the STCC grid.

All eight cars will be available to drive in the game's ‘Race Day' mode and online races. In addition to the cars, the pack will make two new multiplayer events available, set on existing circuits from across Race Driver: GRID's three continents and to test drivers to their very limit online. On Xbox 360, the pack will also feature four new Achievements worth a total of 100 points to earn from four new competitive challenges:

Gotta Win ‘Em All – Win an online race in each of the ‘8 Ball' pack cars – 25pts.
Drift Master - Achieve a 99x combo in the Honda S2000 – 25pts.
Gas Guzzler - Clock up over 250 miles in your favorite 8 Ball pack car– 25pts.
Clean Passing - Win a clean race in an 8 Ball Pack car from last position – 25pts.

With pricing for the pack to be confirmed at launch, the ‘8 Ball' content will be available from the PlayStation Network and the Xbox Live Marketplace. Details for downloadable content for the Games for Windows edition of Race Driver: GRID will be announced shortly.

I still have it on the PS3 and see pboreham on it now and again. It's so much fun once you get the hang of it. Found GT5p a tad bit boring.

Borrowed this and gonna give it a try tonight. Didn't like the demo too much but then I didn't give it much of a chance I guess.

GRID is my favorite (non Mario Kart) racing game of all time. It's the first game to get the rubber-banding AI done correctly, which makes for a very edge-of-your-seat driving experience.

Back
Top Bottom