GRID (PS3/360/PC)

Got this at the weekend, its in the classics range now so for 30e its a great buy. Having just watched the Forza3 trailers I felt like a racing game. Great arcade racer!

still love this game. more than four years passed since its release and still none (on PC) could have beaten grid in its class imho. but maybe grid 2 could do it. let's see.

Last edited:
Because Jonney RF2 and pCARS arent arcadey racin games lad. This is 100% designed for arcadey fun.

Not a big fan of GRID meself.

not sure about that, jonney. rf2 looked a straight sim to me. I think GRID had a very fine balance between arcade and simulation. that's the thing imo.

I never heard about pCARS before (man it isn't even released yet lol) but it looks very promising from I've seen on youtube. looking forward to try it out though it's not said to be an arcade/sim hybrid like GRID.

speaking about simulations, what do you think about Simbin games? have you tried their latest title Race Injection? (most of their games are actually expansion packs based on race 07 though).

Shift 2 with mods > GRID ;).

And there is GTR, GTR Evolution, GT Legends, rFactor 2, and such when you want SIM ;).

Though must say I did enjoy GRID a lot (after turning that SHIT filter off with mod the game looked 10x better :D).

God, I hated GRID. The weird hybrid mix of simulation and arcade mechanics was confusing. I love simulations and I enjoy arcade racers, but I'm not keen on games that try to mix both. In general I'm not a fan of Codemasters racing games since TOCA. They've gone down hill.

Shift 2 was a bit shit as well, although it had a stunning track line up and some neat effects in game.

Race 07/Race Injection/GTR Evo and Game Stock Car 2012 are my sims of choice at the moment. Can't wait to get on rFactor 2 though.

Loved grid, played it for ages. Single seaters online were epic, had a 6 hour online sesh one Saturday when I got my g25 wheel.

God, I hated GRID. The weird hybrid mix of simulation and arcade mechanics was confusing. I love simulations and I enjoy arcade racers, but I'm not keen on games that try to mix both. In general I'm not a fan of Codemasters racing games since TOCA. They've gone down hill.

Wow, this view is very opposite of mine. :) I'm a fan of balancing things and also a fan of Codemasters Racing. Though I must admit that I liked RD3 much more than GRID back in the day, Codemasters did a very good job with the next-gen graphics and the new physics engine (damage models have hugely impressed me) imo. Right, sims are naturally far more realistic but they are no fun & so much stress for me. I'd rather go drive my own car instead. :P

What I'd certainly call going down hill in a series is what Konami did with PES series after PES 6.

I am with Jamezinho on this, I much prefer simulation racing games.
Yes they do seem to play slower and less overtaking and prob less fun.

I have not played GRID for about 3 years so can't really remember it too much but with F1 2011 that is a mix and sim and arcade and although I do play it and enjoy it, it is very frustrating that the AI is so poor and feels it is on rails sometimes and other parts of the track your 1.5 secs faster than them. Grid if I remember was exactly the same as it is just a broken engine.

I still mainly play GP4 but I do like overtaking to be a challenge rather than just doing in sections of the track the computer is really slow at.

Right, sims are naturally far more realistic but they are no fun & so much stress for me. I'd rather go drive my own car instead. :P

Yeah, but you can't drive your own car at 180mph around Monza or Spa (unless you're rich and have the car and resources to do so).

Trust me, sims are a hell of a lot of fun once you get a feel for them. With a good wheel setup, against a good bunch of racers (or good AI), sims are a huge amount of fun.

Realism is what makes sims so much enjoyable for me, but everyone is different.

Also though I think a massive problem is the fact there aren't any SIM games available on consoles the best you get is the SIMCADE games like GT5 and forza.

Also though I think a massive problem is the fact there aren't any SIM games available on consoles the best you get is the SIMCADE games like GT5 and forza.

Probably the closest to a PC sim is Simbin's Race Pro on the 360. I enjoyed that game even though the graphics, presentation and framerate were garbage. The driving physics and approach of the game were more aligned with their PC games.

Trouble is, the game bombed in the sales charts. Console players aren't really interested in proper sims. The likes of Forza and Gran Turismo are enough for them - games which allow you to add loads of Halfords-esque mods to the car like its something out of the Fast and the Furious.

Probably the closest to a PC sim is Simbin's Race Pro on the 360. I enjoyed that game even though the graphics, presentation and framerate were garbage. The driving physics and approach of the game were more aligned with their PC games.

Trouble is, the game bombed in the sales charts. Console players aren't really interested in proper sims. The likes of Forza and Gran Turismo are enough for them - games which allow you to add loads of Halfords-esque mods to the car like its something out of the Fast and the Furious.

What racing games do you have?
I will have to go you a race on something one day.

What racing games do you have?
I will have to go you a race on something one day.

I've got Race 07 (+ all add-ons) and Game Stock Car 2012 on my pc at the moment. I'll be on rFactor2 soon but not got much time for games right now so I'll jump on it when I can give it more time.

Back
Top Bottom