GRID (PS3/360/PC)

Nice stuff.

"Fix for cars very occasionally flying into the air when hitting kerbs."

I ran into this yesterday during a drift event - i was drifting around a corner, clipped the kerb while trying to skim past the flags and my car exploded into the air flipping around hitting an invisible wall and crashing back onto its wheels.

just put this on as i had to get it after reading Edge's review. what difficulty are you guys playing on? should i start on normal or go on hardest straight out.

Try out normal, then if it's to easy just simply change it to Serious. That's what I did. I just did about 4 races, unlocked like 10 achievements in 10 minutes.

I also tried one ranked xbox live match, and some Germans though it'd be funny to purposely crash into me, pissed the fuck out of me.

From a post earlier outlining how the AI will crash into your car without braking and other points.

Last night i span off onto some sand and long story short ended up spinning back onto the track side on with oncoming traffic heading towards me. ALL of the AI cars slammed on their brakes and started to drive around my car and only 1 car actually made contact with me clipping my back end.

I was hoping to cause a big pile up and then flashback myself to before i span out - When i checked out the replay as i span out a car behind me was about to crack into my back end and slammed on its brakes and as i was pulling back onto the track a car swerved out of way of my car to get past before i clipped him.

-

I also had a few random moments

1 my team mate span out during the le mans and took out another car with him - but I flash backed that to save my teammate.

Another time was a random race event in Japan and i saw 2 cars ahead of me side by side racing and one clipped the others back end and fish tailed him out of the race.

And finally i had to fire my old team mate and get a new guy because the man i had was useless at open wheel racing - and now on my loading screen stats he's listed as my biggest rival!

My game is totally messed up, I was playing a private game with my mate, then suddenly when I crashed into the dirt my screen went brown and I unlocked 3 ACHIEVEMENTS, Long haul, Short Haul and Airborne.

Very scary, and Quite happy at the same time.

My game is totally messed up, I was playing a private game with my mate, then suddenly when I crashed into the dirt my screen went brown and I unlocked 3 ACHIEVEMENTS, Long haul, Short Haul and Airborne.

Very scary, and Quite happy at the same time.

Yeah that happened to me. returned to lobby and everyone decides to kick me out like it my fault..

I do like this game. Online can be crazy! Being first on the grid is not s great sometimes as no matter how good you are on the 1st corner if the people behind don't break you just get smashed!!

Meh I dont like the Le Mans bit that you have to do.... especially when the CPU decides to cheat and stay right up my arse and then suddenly to spin me out at a corner... or miraculously overtake me on a slow corner

^ 100% agree with that, does my head in when I'm about to overpass someone and I get spun off the track. I'm now doing some demolition derbies which are quite fun, rather annoying though when you're first, and when you do one of those jumps you hit another car doing a jump going across.

I'm yet to get a team mate :(

Meh I dont like the Le Mans bit that you have to do.... especially when the CPU decides to cheat and stay right up my arse and then suddenly to spin me out at a corner... or miraculously overtake me on a slow corner

^ 100% agree with that, does my head in when I'm about to overpass someone and I get spun off the track. I'm now doing some demolition derbies which are quite fun, rather annoying though when you're first, and when you do one of those jumps you hit another car doing a jump going across.

I'm yet to get a team mate :(

This is EXACTLY what annoys me about people calling 'CPU Cheats' - not being funny, but to me, sounds like you arent very good at the game (yet?!) - thats not CPU Cheats....

Practice chaps!

It's not exactly cheating but it's in the same category. If you're racing and you're in first place in that stupid fucking Le Mans 24 hour race and on the last turn they spin you out FROM THE BACK, not from side to side. It's bloody annoying, and does my tits in.

This is EXACTLY what annoys me about people calling 'CPU Cheats' - not being funny, but to me, sounds like you arent very good at the game (yet?!) - thats not CPU Cheats....

Practice chaps!
Practice what exactly Paul? how can I avoid a CPU car suddenly appearing on my back end and then smashing the back of me and I spin and he carries on perfectly?!! That happens to me WAY too often for my liking! when do you ever see that happen in Le Mans??

Practice chaps!

Oh dear.

If you're suggesting that the cpu cars are operating under the same physics rules (as defined by Codemasters) as human controlled cars, then you're opening yourself up for ridicule.

Ahhh i don't think that's the case - if you try and ram a AI car's back end - one time they'll stand firm and you'll spin out - the next they'll spin out with the tiniest touch.

I hate racing games that do that - and it seems they all do

Practice what exactly Paul? how can I avoid a CPU car suddenly appearing on my back end and then smashing the back of me and I spin and he carries on perfectly?!! That happens to me WAY too often for my liking! when do you ever see that happen in Le Mans??

This must be 'PES Ai Cheating' all over again. I've never had that happen to me once (driven over 1000 miles at the moment) and sure, you get the odd bump from the CPU cars, but even when i watch the replays, its not as if they suddenly speed up 200 miles and hour and deliberately ram you (which I would class as cheating).

Oh dear.

If you're suggesting that the cpu cars are operating under the same physics rules (as defined by Codemasters) as human controlled cars, then you're opening yourself up for ridicule.

I'll be naive and like to think they are more or less. If you can prove otherwise, I'd love to see/hear it. If its of you OPINION that they dont, then fine, I guess that sucks for you. If I felt cheated by a game, I'd probably stop playing it.

Again, I'm yet to watch a CPU car in a replay and think 'why can't I do that' - if a car is faster than me through taking better lines etc, then thats racing and I have no problem with that.

Maybe I'm getting too old :(

Paul.... not the odd bump mate! ive been fucking belted! Amazingly ive spun out because of it and the CPU Car thats has hit me has amazingly got away un-scathed from it! If I try and give as good as I get I end up on the receiving end as said before. If you dont noticed the CPU cheats in PES then jesus man you think its fair that the worst team on the Entire Game can all suddenly have their Stats Upped to Ronaldo's Level? and my team which happens to be one of the best teams on the game suddenly play like a bunch of retards? Passes Suddenly going astray, The CPU having 7 men camped inside their penalty box, they break out and amazingly super sprint forward and im defending with 4 men versus about 7 of their attackers!!

Paul.... not the odd bump mate! ive been fucking belted! Amazingly ive spun out because of it and the CPU Car thats has hit me has amazingly got away un-scathed from it! If I try and give as good as I get I end up on the receiving end as said before. If you dont noticed the CPU cheats in PES then jesus man you think its fair that the worst team on the Entire Game can all suddenly have their Stats Upped to Ronaldo's Level? and my team which happens to be one of the best teams on the game suddenly play like a bunch of retards? Passes Suddenly going astray, The CPU having 7 men camped inside their penalty box, they break out and amazingly super sprint forward and im defending with 4 men versus about 7 of their attackers!!

LOL... I'm getting seriously worried that I dont spot this stuff! :LOL:

lol you dont play on what was 5 stars on PES then?

Maybe thats why then! I like to think of myself as a pretty decent PES player, but I like to play a relaxed game, instead of having to focus intently and play at 100 miles an hour, so I always played on 3 stars.

Found it gave me a good balance of winning and losing.

Weird... I'm sure I should (and could) have upped the level.

You playing GRiD on a high level?

I'll be naive and like to think they are more or less. If you can prove otherwise, I'd love to see/hear it. If its of you OPINION that they dont, then fine, I guess that sucks for you. If I felt cheated by a game, I'd probably stop playing it.

Again, I'm yet to watch a CPU car in a replay and think 'why can't I do that' - if a car is faster than me through taking better lines etc, then thats racing and I have no problem with that.

Maybe I'm getting too old :(

I won't waste my breath, or fingers, going into detail about the specific cheats. If you don't see them, lucky for you.

Seriously though, the AI is horribly contrived, and I don't just mean in an unfair way, because equally significant to the problem is that if you're lagging behind, they slow right down to let you catch up.

For example, I was racing single-seaters at Spa, but because the game doesn't appear to have a time-trial mode (the demo did, where did it go in the full version?), and because I wanted to have a bit of free space in the track to practise in those cars, towards the end of lap 1, I slowed down and let the AI drive off, giving them about 30 seconds advantage. I start lap 2 at full speed and to my dismay, by the time I came round turn 1 hairpin, I could see the AI down in the dipped chicane thing slowly creeping along. I caught them by the start of that long straight just after that dip, and lo and behold, as I raced past them along that straight, some of them starting surging past me again. Where did they find this incredible pace from? There's no slip-streaming in the game. The cars are all of equal power and speed. And why had they all slowed down so much in the first place?

I'm afraid when I see this sort of thing happening, the alarms bells ring loud and in my eyes, the AI loses all credibilty. It's not real AI, it's a contrived solution to generate "excitement".

Incidently, Codemaster have openly admitted that they used this sort of "catch-up" AI in their past games. They admitted it when being pestered, by people like me, about their AI at at time when they were insisting that they had dropped this technique for the Race Driver series, which they wanted to be more sim-like. It's clear they have brought it back, and at the same time have reverted to a far more arcade approach overall. To be honest, they probably get fed up being moaned at for their poor attempts at sim and decided "screw those sim gits, lets do what we want this time."

Last edited:
Had a quick play of this at a mate's house before. Three words. You're all mental. Pile of garbage. :eh:

I agree with you on the catch-up AI, 100%.

Just before I get into that, what level are you playing on - i.e. are you in Pro mode, assists off etc? Its still a challenging drive if you knock all the help off.

Now, the catch up. You've got to remember, this is 'arcade' racing - as much as Codemasters want to label this a sim or whatever. To that end, the fact that you can be involved with sometimes a pack of 19 other cars round a track does make it exciting. If you suspend the disbelief and accept the game for what it is, then I think you'd enjoy it more!

If its something you cannot live with, then you shouldnt have brought the game - especially knowing full well what it would be like when you asked me if these 'cheats' still existing in this version of Codies racing games.

(Here he goes again...) the feeling with the G25 wheel is just awesome with this game and whilst its not a patch on the driving model of GT5p, its superb in its own, different way - and whilst my credibility, or lack of it, is in the toilet, I still rate this the best driving game I've ever played.

The same way people may say Everbodys Golf is the best golf game they've played - but why? Its not realistic, it features cartoon players, the physics arent exactly rocket science and things like 'big cups' and 'super backspin' etc make it strictly arcade. The reason people love EG is because it is FUN and you 'get what you see' with it. Same with GRiD, it doesnt try to accurately reproduce physics down to the last pound of G-Force, it is a balls out, arcade-based, exciting racer, that grabs you by the balls for 5 minute spells and leaves you breathless as you cross the line.

There seem to be 2 groups of people - those that accept what I've just wrote and those that dont.

Best thing you can do is list it on eBay and forget about it.

Oh, BTW, you can test drive/time trial a car if you go to 'View Car' and then I think its the Square button to test drive alone on any track...

I won't waste my breath, or fingers, going into detail about the specific cheats. If you don't see them, lucky for you.

Seriously though, the AI is horribly contrived, and I don't just mean in an unfair way, because equally significant to the problem is that if you're lagging behind, they slow right down to let you catch up.

For example, I was racing single-seaters at Spa, but because the game doesn't appear to have a time-trial mode (the demo did, where did it go in the full version?), and because I wanted to have a bit of free space in the track to practise in those cars, towards the end of lap 1, I slowed down and let the AI drive off, giving them about 30 seconds advantage. I start lap 2 at full speed and to my dismay, by the time I came round turn 1 hairpin, I could see the AI down in the dipped chicane thing slowly creeping along. I caught them by the start of that long straight just after that dip, and lo and behold, as I raced past them along that straight, some of them starting surging past me again. Where did they find this incredible pace from? There's no slip-streaming in the game. The cars are all of equal power and speed. And why had they all slowed down so much in the first place?

I'm afraid when I see this sort of thing happening, the alarms bells ring loud and in my eyes, the AI loses all credibilty. It's not real AI, it's a contrived solution to generate "excitement".

Incidently, Codemaster have openly admitted that they used this sort of "catch-up" AI in their past games. They admitted it when being pestered, by people like me, about their AI at at time when they were insisting that they had dropped this technique for the Race Driver series, which they wanted to be more sim-like. It's clear they have brought it back, and at the same time have reverted to a far more arcade approach overall. To be honest, they probably get fed up being moaned at for their poor attempts at sim and decided "screw those sim gits, lets do what we want this time."

Back
Top Bottom