GRID (PS3/360/PC)

Great points Winston - and if those things bug you then steer well away from this - I'll answer what I've found personally...

* All races are fixed to 2/3 laps.

* No Qualifying

* Grid positions are seemingly random in Single Player. In MP, the 1st race is governed by who readies up first, then the following races are lined up by reverse finishing order - i.e. winner starts at back.

* Never personally seen a 'bad start' from AI

* Cars definately take some odd speed decisions - to me they always slow down on long curves that can be taken flat out, which is offputting.

* Didnt know about the '1 lap down' issue, but I would suspect its there. I'm sure there is an option to enable 'catch-up' or not - but I think it may be online only.

Even with all those issues, it still sucks me in enough to really enjoy it (same as the 'cheating AI' in PES never bothers me as I dont think it exists, but thats another argument!).

If the points above will be at the front of your mind playing this, then avoid - that said, none of it applies to online racing of course...

Yeah, in terms of off-line play, these things definitely will annoy, not least because they've been ever-present in Codies games for years. In all honesty, I was fully expecting them to still be there.

Still undecided if I want to buy it for on-line only.

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Smoooooooooooooooth.

Had no problems - still some idiots hanging around - but sure they will drop away, but Private Sessions is where it will be at.

Be great if we can get 20 people together (from here and AVF) bombing around Spa in the F3000s :LOL: All on the mics abusing each other...

One thing... just out of interest. When you all talk about morons online or people who bash N crash their way around...

Well against the ai so far ive bumped into them a lot. Not on purpose like i took a guy out for the hell of it, and ive not sped into a corner and used everyone as a barrier to get around and the variation of speeding at a corner and using someones rear end to brake.

I've bumped into them like when im flying down and they try to overtake and ive not seen them coming and contact has been made --- or the one where i can take a corner pretty fast, maybe even at full speed but the ai has slowed to take it so before i know it ive rear ended them. Oh and not to foget the 'im slipstreaming right up an ai's arse and then they suddenly brake for a corner well before you really need to brake" ... and one last one... where IM in front and the ai behind me is zooming down and i brake to take a corner and they don't so they plow into my arse.

So if what ive done offline happens online are you guys going to be pissed at me?

One thing... just out of interest. When you all talk about morons online or people who bash N crash their way around...

Well against the ai so far ive bumped into them a lot. Not on purpose like i took a guy out for the hell of it, and ive not sped into a corner and used everyone as a barrier to get around and the variation of speeding at a corner and using someones rear end to brake.

I've bumped into them like when im flying down and they try to overtake and ive not seen them coming and contact has been made --- or the one where i can take a corner pretty fast, maybe even at full speed but the ai has slowed to take it so before i know it ive rear ended them. Oh and not to foget the 'im slipstreaming right up an ai's arse and then they suddenly brake for a corner well before you really need to brake" ... and one last one... where IM in front and the ai behind me is zooming down and i brake to take a corner and they don't so they plow into my arse.

So if what ive done offline happens online are you guys going to be pissed at me?

No, you can normally tell when a racing accident is genuine. People online have been doing stuff like reversing off the start line, steering into you taking you both into a barrier if you pull alongside them, steaming into a hairpin at 100mph and seeing how many they can take out etc.

Think in a private room with voice comms you can apologise for racing accidents too.

Of the ones you mentioned, if you are behind someone and ram them up the arse into a corner, thats pretty bad racing etiquete!!! You have to make some adjustment for the concertina effect, so if I'm not in a position to overtake, I will go into a corner behind someone else VERY cautiously, as I'd expect them to be anxious and possibly make a mistake or brake early anyway.

Sometimes it is just unavoidable though!

On corners i tend to try and brake off a little early so they get away from me... it helps when i have to judge the corner as well when i can see them turn and see how they did it --- then i can just aim to zoom around without having to worry about their slow ass as i pull out of the turn.

On corners i tend to try and brake off a little early so they get away from me... it helps when i have to judge the corner as well when i can see them turn and see how they did it --- then i can just aim to zoom around without having to worry about their slow ass as i pull out of the turn.

Yea, know what you mean. I have real problems leading a race :LOL: I'm faster behind someone, then having a clear track. If I do get infront (and know the track well), I 'switch off' and normally make a mistake!

Think if anyone sees anyone else online with this (and I think we might be the only 2 with it on PS3!) we should just send an XMB message if you fancy an online game with the title ("Online Race?") as at least you can see that in the pop-up in the corner and wont have to go out to reply....

yeah that makes sense - any password needed? or can you find each others games?

The worst race so far for me was the Le Mans when it hit night. I could hardly see anything and used all my flashbacks as i kept flying off the track.... the rest of the race was a nail bitter

spotted Jimsaint on GRID this morning and im sure hes from here and i got his name in the GTA thread

Last edited:
That second F3 race then - The track looked like it went left... but it was right! really caught me off guard there and i smashed into the tyres... then on the second lap i clipped the rocks on the left side and finally i clipped the bridge and lost my wheel which i saw you drive by a few seconds later.

Never done these tracks

spotted Jimsaint on GRID this morning

Yep I have it, if you two fancy a race at any point let me know. Radiation is on my friends list so can message me through PSN.

Edit: M38572343 = micromania Pagani ZONDA, not sure if this works yet, can't get the gf off Warhawk!

Last edited:
That second F3 race then - The track looked like it went left... but it was right! really caught me off guard there and i smashed into the tyres... then on the second lap i clipped the rocks on the left side and finally i clipped the bridge and lost my wheel which i saw you drive by a few seconds later.

Never done these tracks

Yea, i did the same on that corner. Really sorry, didnt realise you'd crashed out - I would have quit if I knew.

I really liked those tracks, never seen them before myself!

Yeah the one with the rocks on the side and the track going right that was gorgeous - the sun coming through the trees looking awesome... reminds me of the track in GT4 with the sun braking through the trees above you.

The others were nice and open as well... i'll have to get used to the cars handling and the tracks a bit more - offline ive mainly been doing japan and usa races so im rusty with the euro crars

Can you play 2 player on split screen on the PS3 ? Also are there any graphical problems when you do this ? Tkx

Played the demo again, the AI sucks - Typical Codemasters.

The AI always start off perfectly, leaving you trailing behind from the start every single time but this is made up by their awful cornering. They will slow down to about 40mph to go round a corner they could fly round at 100.

The handling is a joke as well.

Played the demo again, the AI sucks - Typical Codemasters.

The AI always start off perfectly, leaving you trailing behind from the start every single time but this is made up by their awful cornering. They will slow down to about 40mph to go round a corner they could fly round at 100.

The handling is a joke as well.

Its not a sim, if you can ignore that fact, then its one - if not the best racing game (not 'sim') ever made.

Yeah the one with the rocks on the side and the track going right that was gorgeous - the sun coming through the trees looking awesome... reminds me of the track in GT4 with the sun braking through the trees above you.

The others were nice and open as well... i'll have to get used to the cars handling and the tracks a bit more - offline ive mainly been doing japan and usa races so im rusty with the euro crars

Forgot about our first race last night :LOL:

We were about to start, the lights counting down and I was revving - but the pedal felt weird. As the lights went green, I floored it and went flying backwards :LOL: I'd been revving reverse... oops!!!

Maybe the AI is better in the full game on a higher difficulty, but that is unnacceptable if the AI still takes corners at half the speed it should. A game can be arcadey but still be challenging.
Seems like a Ridge Racer and Burnout hybrid game to me...

holy moly this game get better and better .... ive just gained the larger garage space and can hire drivers to join my racing team decked out in my custom colours - and even better in our races hell chat to me telling me not to slow as hes right behind me.

holy moly this game get better and better .... ive just gained the larger garage space and can hire drivers to join my racing team decked out in my custom colours - and even better in our races hell chat to me telling me not to slow as hes right behind me.
all sounds great yet when i play the demo i cant help but thinking 'this is one of the worst racing games ive ever played' , not fun skidding all over the place and admiring the beautiful graphics on the side of your car being smashed in by a bot or your typical online knobhead. :SS

im tempted to get it but i cannot stand the demo so im presuming getting the full game is a no no?

Last edited:
I had my 2nd on-line session (with the demo) last night and it was pretty good. Most races had about 10-12 cars and of those, typically about 50%-70% were hell-bent of wrecking everyone else.

But the sensible ones amongst us found that hanging back at the start allowed the wreckers to speed off down to the first corner and kill each other, then we could carefully drive through the carnage and enjoy the race - the wreckers would normally then just disconnect when they realised they couldn't do us any more harm.

There was occassional lag which did lead to unfortunate collisions, but because the physics is so forgiving, it often didn't matter too much.

Am I right in saying that, in the full version, you can set up private rooms? How does this work? Do you have to let your friends know the name of the room and give them a password? Or do you invite them to the room?

Are people with the full game finding plenty of good, clean racers on-line to race with? I don't just mean 3 or 4 good guys in a room with 10 other wreckers, but 10-12 good guys?

im tempted to get it but i cannot stand the demo so im presuming getting the full game is a no no?

I didn't really care for the demo - i played it when i downloaded it, and then again a few days later and still wasn't too keen. But i had a £30 credit note and though i'd pick this up for a tenner and if its shit trade it and use that for MGS4.

But i really do like it now which is a bugger for my MGS4 fund.

I love that the game mixes different styles so you can approach the game from the style you prefer and have fun still - sometimes im in the mood for the Japanese drift events and the 2 fast 2 furious style cliff races (that they copied in a NFS game) - then ill go and have some touring car events then maybe some F3 races and then finish off with some USA muscle.

The driver i hired is a god at touring mode as well - his skills are awesome (i think his name is fernando chavez?) - hes a pain in the arse when im in the lead and he tries to overtake and beat me... but our team will still get the points so sometimes i allow him to overtake and then i fend off the guys behind me allowing him to build up a big lead.

I have found he's shite at drift events - and thats the only niggle i have so far.

It seems you can only have 1 driver in your team with yourself so it means im going to eventually have to fire him and hire someone for the usa races, then fire him and get someone else for japan.

Though i might stumble across someone later in the game who is a jack of all trades as your character is expected to be and my problem there will be solved.

Am I right in saying that, in the full version, you can set up private rooms? How does this work? Do you have to let your friends know the name of the room and give them a password? Or do you invite them to the room?

You can set up a private room with passwords and then give your password out and then they go to the session list and whack the password in. Me and Pbb had some trouble the other day with us not appearing on the session list BUT the list was totally empty so there was probably a problem the server end.

Id guess for now we'd have to agree on a evoweb password to meet up but in a few weeks it can all be done through the in game chat.

- I can't help you with your second question just yet sorry - ive not raced online enough to get a good idea

Last edited:
Raced some more tonight and thought i re answer an earlier question about the laps in Grid World (Main career mode)

Since moving up a rank in Europe and Japan ive now started to have 5 lap 6 lap and 8 lap races and some of them have been pretty long tracks. One 8 lap race in the Japan side springs to mind.

I have no idea if the highest ranked races offer higher lap counts though yet.

Back
Top Bottom