GRID (PS3/360/PC)

Would a wheel work well with this type of sensitive handling?

Yea its superb with a wheel - the feedback is really good too. The G25 clutch isnt supported, neither is the H-Shift (though sequential shift mode works, and obviously the paddles work).

But yea, wheel is the best way to go!

PBorehams moving to Colchester, thus his views on anything are totally null and void.

Dont be such a baby! :LOL: Least I'll get down the 'Hall now on a regular basis - plus my feet are already a little bit webbed, so I should fit right in.

Anyway, dont waste your time here - get down the shops and get GRID - NOW!!!!

The GF's just picked this up for me while shes in town and she said it came with a code to unlock a car or something.

I remember having a code on Forza2 when i bought it and all it basically did was unlock a car to buy... but i still had to bloody save up enough money to buy it... which was near to useless.

The GF's just picked this up for me while shes in town and she said it came with a code to unlock a car or something.

I remember having a code on Forza2 when i bought it and all it basically did was unlock a car to buy... but i still had to bloody save up enough money to buy it... which was near to useless.

Did you get 360 or PS3?

I got it on the PS3 - i'll use the code myself and then ill post it here. Just in case its a one time use thing

CODE Unlocks a gamestation BMW --- G29782655

Last edited:
Starting a new post so this it highlighted and you can see i added the code above.

-

Been playing the game a little and its good.

Just managed to start my own race team - i picked my team colours and then immediately started to have second thoughts. The unlocked car came in handy as i ended up using it in my first race under my new team and came 3rd then 1st in a 2 race tournament.

I like the sponsor idea and that you can move them around having a major sponsor and minor ones - its nice that you can move some of the uglier sponsors to somewhere where they aren't as big and visible as well and still gain the money.

Handling of some cars has thrown me - just as im used to the slippy japan cars the open wheel races come around. Bit hard to get used to changing your driving style from braking early and sliding around the corners to almost being glued to the track.

Had LOADS of crashes and ai moments that id have liked to have saved.

A few ai cock ups - in a good way. A car spinning out on the last bend of a race allowing me to zoom past and win, another where an ai tyre blew out and then car flipped sideways and rolled and broke into pieces just missing me.

I've had a few moments where an ai car has clipped my back end making me spin out and ive seen them force each other into crashes. there was a touring car race where the voice in your ear told me a car had just spun out. a few seconds later i saw a cloud of smoke coming towards me (or should that be i was approaching a cloud of smoke as im the one moving) - and it was the car that had span surrounded by 3 other cars who i presume had smashed into it.

Can't think of anything else - I've not tried online yet but i will when i get to know the courses and cars well enough. Really fun stuff.

Starting a new post so this it highlighted and you can see i added the code above.

-

Just managed to start my own race team - i picked my team colours and then immediately started to have second thoughts. The unlocked car came in handy as i ended up using it in my first race under my new team and came 3rd then 1st in a 2 race tournament.

I like the sponsor idea and that you can move them around having a major sponsor and minor ones - its nice that you can move some of the uglier sponsors to somewhere where they aren't as big and visible as well and still gain the money.

Handling of some cars has thrown me - just as im used to the slippy japan cars the open wheel races come around. Bit hard to get used to changing your driving style from braking early and sliding around the corners to almost being glued to the track.

A few ai cock ups - in a good way. A car spinning out on the last bend of a race allowing me to zoom past and win, another where an ai tyre blew out and then car flipped sideways and rolled and broke into pieces just missing me.

I've had a few moments where an ai car has clipped my back end making me spin out and ive seen them force each other into crashes. there was a touring car race where the voice in your ear told me a car had just spun out. a few seconds later i saw a cloud of smoke coming towards me (or should that be i was approaching a cloud of smoke as im the one moving) - and it was the car that had span surrounded by 3 other cars who i presume had smashed into it.

Can't think of anything else - I've not tried online yet but i will when i get to know the courses and cars well enough. Really fun stuff.

do you play with driving assits off. Heard that helps the cars feel not so loose when driving.

Last edited:
erm... i'm just playing with the default stuff so if they're on as default then i'm playing with everything on.

My main problem at the moment is getting to know the tracks - the camera is a bit low for my liking so its hard to see when a corner is coming

I still need to try the demo of this. Interesting to see people praising it after the slating it took when the demo came out.

Its just a plain arcade racer, if thats what you want then try it but if you want any realism i would miss out.

I still need to try the demo of this. Interesting to see people praising it after the slating it took when the demo came out.
Dags, I still stand by what I said before. The handling is very twitchy at the best of times and its 100% Arcade gameplay... At least I didnt buy it and its my mates copy im playing on :)

-

Quality! Glad you are liking it too - so many great touches. Your colours and sponsors are persistant - so if you race online, you race in your team colours (or you can choose a stock skin), which is a real nice touch.

The smoke in this game is superb - I love approaching a big accident and having to virtually close your eyes and hope for the best as the smoke cloud completely blinds you - all you can hear is screaching brakes and twisting metal!

Such a great game - cannot believe the crucification I gave it on the early pages of this thread! Roll on the 2.4 update so we can message each other and set some races going!

Yep thats what I thought too. But im giving this game a good go to see what the full version has to offer.

Assume you got it on 360 then? Hows the wheel handling?

Feels great using the G25 on the PS3 with this - using the sequential shifter is demanding, but very immersive!

Good to hear people are having some fun.

A few more questions, at the risk of pouring cold water over things:

In career mode, are all the races fixed 2-3 laps? ie. you can't choose to have long races in career mode?

In career mode, is there a qualifying session or do you just have to start where the game puts you?

Is there qualifying in any of the other modes? eg. free race?

For all that the AI cars make mistakes, have you ever seen an AI car not make a perfect start? This is a longstanding Codies AI problem and the demo still had it.

Do the AI cars go around certain corners more slowly than they should be able to? ie. You can go much faster and guaratee to always overtake them? This is another longstanding Codies AI problem.

When playing the demo, on one race, I got bashed off the track on the 1st corner of the 1st lap and was fed up, so just waited until all the AI cars came round the whole lap and joined in one lap behind. They were now all going much slower than usual and I cruised past them all. It was as if they were on a parade lap, just gently cruising around at low speed, not racing against each other nor me, even though they still had over 1 lap to race.

I didn't like that at all. It shows they don't really race properly unless you are in amongst them and on the same lap as them, and slow down until you catch them up, then come back to life. That's not what I want from AI.

Quality! Glad you are liking it too - so many great touches. Your colours and sponsors are persistant - so if you race online, you race in your team colours (or you can choose a stock skin), which is a real nice touch.

The smoke in this game is superb - I love approaching a big accident and having to virtually close your eyes and hope for the best as the smoke cloud completely blinds you - all you can hear is screaching brakes and twisting metal!

Such a great game - cannot believe the crucification I gave it on the early pages of this thread! Roll on the 2.4 update so we can message each other and set some races going!

Just spotted you can change your team colours anytime you want

Great points Winston - and if those things bug you then steer well away from this - I'll answer what I've found personally...

* All races are fixed to 2/3 laps.

* No Qualifying

* Grid positions are seemingly random in Single Player. In MP, the 1st race is governed by who readies up first, then the following races are lined up by reverse finishing order - i.e. winner starts at back.

* Never personally seen a 'bad start' from AI

* Cars definately take some odd speed decisions - to me they always slow down on long curves that can be taken flat out, which is offputting.

* Didnt know about the '1 lap down' issue, but I would suspect its there. I'm sure there is an option to enable 'catch-up' or not - but I think it may be online only.

Even with all those issues, it still sucks me in enough to really enjoy it (same as the 'cheating AI' in PES never bothers me as I dont think it exists, but thats another argument!).

If the points above will be at the front of your mind playing this, then avoid - that said, none of it applies to online racing of course...

Good to hear people are having some fun.

A few more questions, at the risk of pouring cold water over things:

In career mode, are all the races fixed 2-3 laps? ie. you can't choose to have long races in career mode?

In career mode, is there a qualifying session or do you just have to start where the game puts you?

Is there qualifying in any of the other modes? eg. free race?

For all that the AI cars make mistakes, have you ever seen an AI car not make a perfect start? This is a longstanding Codies AI problem and the demo still had it.

Do the AI cars go around certain corners more slowly than they should be able to? ie. You can go much faster and guaratee to always overtake them? This is another longstanding Codies AI problem.

When playing the demo, on one race, I got bashed off the track on the 1st corner of the 1st lap and was fed up, so just waited until all the AI cars came round the whole lap and joined in one lap behind. They were now all going much slower than usual and I cruised past them all. It was as if they were on a parade lap, just gently cruising around at low speed, not racing against each other nor me, even though they still had over 1 lap to race.

I didn't like that at all. It shows they don't really race properly unless you are in amongst them and on the same lap as them, and slow down until you catch them up, then come back to life. That's not what I want from AI.

Big Question - How is online play???

Smoooooooooooooooth.

Had no problems - still some idiots hanging around - but sure they will drop away, but Private Sessions is where it will be at.

Be great if we can get 20 people together (from here and AVF) bombing around Spa in the F3000s :LOL: All on the mics abusing each other...

Back
Top Bottom