Football Manager 2011

Has anyone ever started a game as unemployed? Is it hard to get a decent job if so?

Never started unemployed. Getting a job I believe will depend on the experience you set yourself to at the beginning. I mean you could probably get a job in the lower divisions without a problem.

When you start unemployed in the 11.2 patch you have 3 good times available: Newcastle, Ajax and Boca. My experience was set by default tough.

Oh ok. I was thinking more along the lines of start unemployed, then see who gets sacked as the game progresses.

After winning 3 league titles, 3 Fa Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 champions leagues with Arsenal in 4 seasons, I definately need a harder challenge. (still keep going with the Arsenal game though)

So I have started a season with Southend (League 2), with Semi-Pro history as a player.

Trying to get a few Arsenal youngsters on loan :))....doubt I will get them though.

Oh I'm always your English football manager friend B! Just plodding along, not winning anything, going unnoticed :LOL:. You never know, maybe I'll win something noteworthy with West Ham...

Still going good by the way, beat Man Utd 1-0 in the Premiership last night :)).

Glad to see the chatter start back up in here. I've been lonely.

FD, you can do it.

you-can-do-it.jpg

FD

Really enjoying my Newcastle save. The team is definitely overachieving: W5 L1 - 2nd position 1 point behind Chelsea. Sooner or later we are going to fall to the mid-table but future looks bright to the magpies.

We are always with you B. I follow religiously your fantastic Fulham stories.

PS: Sorry, I've beat Fulham 3-1 my last game.

Oh I'm always your English football manager friend B! Just plodding along, not winning anything, going unnoticed :LOL:. You never know, maybe I'll win something noteworthy with West Ham...

Still going good by the way, beat Man Utd 1-0 in the Premiership last night :)).

Thanks man. And good job beating Man U.

Really enjoying my Newcastle save. The team is definitely overachieving: W5 L1 - 2nd position 1 point behind Chelsea. Sooner or later we are going to fall to the mid-table but future looks bright to the magpies.

We are always with you B. I follow religiously your fantastic Fulham stories.

PS: Sorry, I've beat Fulham 3-1 my last game.

You're doing well with Newcastle. Hopefully you can hold off that fall for a while.

Glad to hear you are following my Fulham stories. I didn't think anyone paid attention to that so I didn't write about them that much. Maybe I'll start posting more and with a little more detail. :)

Your Fulham stories are always interesting B, more interesting the fact you never give them up, playing several seasons with the same team improving their squad and subsequently the results. It is fascinating to me coz I'm more a Mourinho-type waiting for the next job. :LOL:

We are still overachieving! W6 D2 L2 - 5th place 1 point behind the usual sharks Spurs, ManU, Chelsea and Gunners. However Arsenal and we both have 1 game left.
Andy Carroll rules!

So far so good. :COOL:

EDIT: Well, I've forgotten the Carling Cup, err, we're out (against Cardiff :DOH:).

Last edited:
After winning 3 league titles, 3 Fa Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 champions leagues with Arsenal in 4 seasons, I definately need a harder challenge. (still keep going with the Arsenal game though)

So I have started a season with Southend (League 2), with Semi-Pro history as a player.

Trying to get a few Arsenal youngsters on loan :))....doubt I will get them though.

Good lad! :)

Becoming totally addicted to FM this year. Studying at University in Brighton I thought I'd try and get the mighty Seagulls into the Premier League!

Season 1: Finish 10th in an up and down season where I'm very much learning the in's and out's of my players and the intricacies of the game. Brighton move into the new American Express Community Stadium with 22K capacity!

Season 2: Sign an unknown Spanish striker named Juan Villar for 40k as well as a strong French defender named Roman Bregerie on a free. Both then proceed to absolutely tear up League 1 - Villar getting the golden boot with 30 goals and Bregerie with 15 all from Corners. We win league 1 and get promoted! Wojciech Szczesny on a free is the rock between the posts.

Season 3: A couple of signings to bolster attack and the midfield and we power our way through the championship - finishing 2nd in the automatic promotion place! This season I was very much aware that our squad was weaker than most of the other teams, but team talks and last minute goals really pushed us through. Signed Beckham on a free (lol) but his delivery from set pieces turn out to be extremely vital to our success.

Season 4: Despite being nailed on relegation candidates I manage to steer Brighton to a 15th place finish. All our promotion war chest was spent on strengthening our defence. Seamus Coleman, Lucas Digne (amazing young left back) and Ciaran Clark all join Roman Bregerie as part of a solid back 4. We don't score many goals though and despite getting 12 goals in the championship the year before Juan Villar the Brighton legend is sold for 1.4 million so a tidy profit!

Season 5: This season is all about bolstering the attack! I spend £8M on Allesandro Diamanti who despite being 31 finishes the season with around 15 goals and 15 asssists and makes team of the year. David Hoilet the Canadian international is a constant threat as a right inside forward and my young Lazio target man Libor Kozak (20 heading, 20 strength, 20 jumping) is a beast from Corners - gets about 20 goals overall. We finish 10th as things go from strength to strength!

Season 6 (current): By this point I have about 30 million in the bank, a combination of TV money, finishing money and buying players like Diaby and Muntari on a free's and selling them 6 months later for ~£5M. I decide to invest all my money on young players to build for the future now that my Premier League status is relatively secure. For £5m each I buy Josh McEachran from Chelsea and Zakaria Labyad from PSV as the future of midfield - and so far both are improving by the week! I spend the rest of the £20 on 3 extremely promising regens, the next Van Persie and Fabregas from arsenal's reserves (both 17 and 5 star potential) and a promising young defender from Udinese.

So the future of Brighton and Hove Albion looks extremely promising! Has been such a fun and rewarding journey and long may it continue...

Your Fulham stories are always interesting B, more interesting the fact you never give them up, playing several seasons with the same team improving their squad and subsequently the results. It is fascinating to me coz I'm more a Mourinho-type waiting for the next job. :LOL:

We are still overachieving! W6 D2 L2 - 5th place 1 point behind the usual sharks Spurs, ManU, Chelsea and Gunners. However Arsenal and we both have 1 game left.
Andy Carroll rules!

So far so good. :COOL:

EDIT: Well, I've forgotten the Carling Cup, err, we're out (against Cardiff :DOH:).

Keep it up man.

Becoming totally addicted to FM this year. Studying at University in Brighton I thought I'd try and get the mighty Seagulls into the Premier League!

Season 1: Finish 10th in an up and down season where I'm very much learning the in's and out's of my players and the intricacies of the game. Brighton move into the new American Express Community Stadium with 22K capacity!

Season 2: Sign an unknown Spanish striker named Juan Villar for 40k as well as a strong French defender named Roman Bregerie on a free. Both then proceed to absolutely tear up League 1 - Villar getting the golden boot with 30 goals and Bregerie with 15 all from Corners. We win league 1 and get promoted! Wojciech Szczesny on a free is the rock between the posts.

Season 3: A couple of signings to bolster attack and the midfield and we power our way through the championship - finishing 2nd in the automatic promotion place! This season I was very much aware that our squad was weaker than most of the other teams, but team talks and last minute goals really pushed us through. Signed Beckham on a free (lol) but his delivery from set pieces turn out to be extremely vital to our success.

Season 4: Despite being nailed on relegation candidates I manage to steer Brighton to a 15th place finish. All our promotion war chest was spent on strengthening our defence. Seamus Coleman, Lucas Digne (amazing young left back) and Ciaran Clark all join Roman Bregerie as part of a solid back 4. We don't score many goals though and despite getting 12 goals in the championship the year before Juan Villar the Brighton legend is sold for 1.4 million so a tidy profit!

Season 5: This season is all about bolstering the attack! I spend £8M on Allesandro Diamanti who despite being 31 finishes the season with around 15 goals and 15 asssists and makes team of the year. David Hoilet the Canadian international is a constant threat as a right inside forward and my young Lazio target man Libor Kozak (20 heading, 20 strength, 20 jumping) is a beast from Corners - gets about 20 goals overall. We finish 10th as things go from strength to strength!

Season 6 (current): By this point I have about 30 million in the bank, a combination of TV money, finishing money and buying players like Diaby and Muntari on a free's and selling them 6 months later for ~£5M. I decide to invest all my money on young players to build for the future now that my Premier League status is relatively secure. For £5m each I buy Josh McEachran from Chelsea and Zakaria Labyad from PSV as the future of midfield - and so far both are improving by the week! I spend the rest of the £20 on 3 extremely promising regens, the next Van Persie and Fabregas from arsenal's reserves (both 17 and 5 star potential) and a promising young defender from Udinese.

So the future of Brighton and Hove Albion looks extremely promising! Has been such a fun and rewarding journey and long may it continue...

Good job.

Well my Fulham side is near the end of December. I am in the semi's of the Carling Cup against Nottm Forest. I have Chelsea in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. I qualified 1st out of my Europa League group. That was actually a struggle and I was suppose to dominate that group. Oh well. At least I qualified first. Going through a tough stretch of games with Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Peterborough and the Chelsea (FA Cup) again. Peterborough are surpisingly tough. My team has scored the most goals and conceded the 9th least. I need to bolster my left and right midfielders (especially the right) and would like to add a stud striker and goalkeeper.

10 games played in the league 2 with Southend and have won 4 drawn 4 and lost 2. I am 8th in the league 5 points off the top.

I lost my first two games but am now on an 8 game unbeaten run in the league.

I got knocked out of the league cup away from home at Blackpool. The fans were devestated and the board was dissapointed. Which is a bit strange as they are 3 leagues above me and they only won 1-0?????!!!!! anyway.....

Totally concentrating on getting in the playoff positions, I think it will be manageable.

I bought a defender in and that was it, he seems to be decent. But I can't afford anybody else. Can't even get any players I want on a free because they want higher wages than I can afford :ROLL: so I have to stick with what I have for the season.

Tried to loan lots of Arsenal youngsters, but they weren't having any of it :(( expected it, but would have been nice :DD

Anyway really good challenge and hopefully I can at least get into the playoffs and if I get promoted I will be extremely happy :DD

WOW :SHOCK:.

How the fuck did you manage to do that?! Seriously. Stuff likes this makes me realise how actually shit I am at this game :((.

I'm trying to get Edin Dezko on a free. I went into negotiations at the start of the transfer window and he wanted $180,000 per week. I could only offer $120,000. So I kept trying to negotiate him down. Well his agent finally said he had enough of this and left the talks. I sold Bobby Zamora in hopes of freeing up enough wage money. For the rest of the transfer window, Edin's agent would not talk to me. Now Edin says he's not interested in joining my club. I am trying to do everything I can to get him. Chelsea is also interested in him. :(

I'm trying to get Edin Dezko on a free. I went into negotiations at the start of the transfer window and he wanted $180,000 per week. I could only offer $120,000. So I kept trying to negotiate him down. Well his agent finally said he had enough of this and left the talks. I sold Bobby Zamora in hopes of freeing up enough wage money. For the rest of the transfer window, Edin's agent would not talk to me. Now Edin says he's not interested in joining my club. I am trying to do everything I can to get him. Chelsea is also interested in him. :(

That happened to me with another player (can't remember who now?) but I couldn't get them because they never wanted to talk to me again :((

Just been knocked out of the FA cup second round :(( but am unbeaten in 12 games (I think?) since I lost the first 2 games in the league. I am 4th 4 points off of the top, so going ok in the league, but I don't know if I can keep it up, my squad is getting tired too quickly and I don't have enough quality to rotate.

I nearly got Ryan Babel & Antonio Valencia but couldn't afford either of their wages :((. I guess I'm being a little too ambitious for West Ham just yet. Even though we are a comfortable 7th in the Premiership after about 23 games. At the start of the January transfer window the board came to me and said they are delighted with my overall leadership of the team and gave me £4M to spend. I've bought a DM and a RM/LM, both mainly out of necessity due to injuries, Kovac broke his leg and Faubert/Barrera are both sidelined for 4 months too. It took me ages to finally decide on the 2 players I bought, looked at a lot of scout reports etc, so really hoping they both do the business.

Last edited:
About 26 games played in the Premiership and my West Ham are still comfortable 7th. Just beaten Bolton (8th) and Everton (6th) too. New signings are playing really well. I've had an AWFUL injury crisis too and still overcome it.

Back
Top Bottom