Football Manager 2010

I've left my Megapack downloading over lunch. I managed 73% last night, so hopefully it should be down by the time I get home.

Anybody else getting pissed off with the ~3 average backpasses per game going straight out of play (aimed nowhere near the keeper) and giving away a corner?

I haven't been on the SI forums for a while, I hope this is something they're going to patch because it's getting fucking ridiculous...

Genuinely the best FM I've played, surely the best manager game I've played full-stop, can't tear myself away from it and the match engine provides proper off-your-seat moments. But it's little things like the above that spoil the immersion. I literally haven't had one game yet where this doesn't happen (although I'm playing on extended highlights so those who play on key highlights only might get away with it).

Last edited:
Hmm it happens maybe once a game or less with me on extended highlights. I'm halfway through my first season with Milan... sitting on 3rd place and in the quarters of CL with Chelsea.

My squad:
---------------Abbiati-------------
Diego Renan--Nesta---Silva----Zambrotta
---------------------------------
---------------Pirlo---------------
-------Ambrosini----Hernanes-------
----------------------------------
Pato-----------------------Ronaldinho-
--------------Borriello--------------

Bench:
Dida
Bonera
Oddo
Onyewu
Antonini
Gattuso
Flamini
Seedorf
Beckham
Huntelaar
Inzaghi

Diego Renan already in Milan?!??!? lol
The Db researcher surely overrated him a lot.... dont get me wrong, he is a top prospect, been playing very well for us, but still too early to say he will be a Milan level of player....
he should have current ability 120 , and potential -9(top prospect)

Jonathan on the other hand seems to be ready to go to a big/medium european club(not top yet id say, he needs to do like Maicon did, go to a intermediary club to adapt than im sure he will do fine in a top club).. he is consider the best right back in brazil this year(is leading the biggest prize from a magazine here)

Last edited:
Anybody else getting pissed off with the ~3 average backpasses per game going straight out of play (aimed nowhere near the keeper) and giving away a corner?

I haven't been on the SI forums for a while, I hope this is something they're going to patch because it's getting fucking ridiculous...

Genuinely the best FM I've played, surely the best manager game I've played full-stop, can't tear myself away from it and the match engine provides proper off-your-seat moments. But it's little things like the above that spoil the immersion. I literally haven't had one game yet where this doesn't happen (although I'm playing on extended highlights so those who play on key highlights only might get away with it).

It really is the best and most in-depth management game ever made, IMO.

I go back to the early days of Championship Manager 1, then CM93 on the Amiga1200 and from then until now, with Football Manager taking pride of place in my collection over Championship Manager a few years ago.
FM2010 is an incredible game. It certainly has that "one more game" addiction to it, when you can hardly keep your eyes open at 2am in the morning.

As far as your glitch is concerned, I have to admit I haven't noticed this at all. The reason being that I only have the commentary on, with the 3D engine only kicking in to show me replays of goals. However, I realise that way of doing things kinda negates the point of having the "touchline instructions" button, but I do also use that in reference to how good or bad I'm performing judging from the commentary. Ok, perhaps it's best used while watching the entire game or even the key moments, but it's certainly not being neglected completely.

I'm currently in my 3rd season with Spurs, and thoroughly enjoying it.

:COOL:

I'm having way more success than usual, which is great, haha...

There's definitely issues though, I think CM (as awful as it is) has got the scouting right. In CM you're pretty much limited to English players with the odd guy from France or whatever, whereas in FM I've got French, German, Spanish, South African and even Brazilian players coming to Tranmere.

I'm not saying it would be impossible in reality but I doubt they'd move for the peanuts that I've grabbed them for, if football management was really that easy (bearing in mind they're all real free agents) then Tranmere wouldn't have such a poor squad.

As for the matches themselves though, the 3D engine really is superb - there's the odd "ball goes two feet past the keeper and then magically appears in his arms" incident that winds me up, especially when it looks like it's going into the net, but as a whole it is so impressive.

It reminds me of my problems with FIFA in as much as, it's got so many good bits, that any slight bad bit totally throws you away from the immersion. If it was miles away from total realism then one or two issues wouldn't be a problem, but when it seems nearly perfect, any slight thing makes it look ten times worse.

But, in the face of FIFA 10, Uncharted 2, CoDMW2 and everything else, I'm on this three hours a night and totally ignoring them. No other game grabs me in quite the same way.

Last edited:
I'm in my first season with Fulham. Currently it's Oct. 25 and I am in 12th in the league. I'm 2nd in my Europa League Group. No new signings. Fulham didn't really have any money to spend and I couldn't dump enough people to get money in. Hopefully I can do something in the Jan. transfer window.

Great thing about this edition is because of the player roles, someone as useless as Bobby Zamora in previous versions, can be utilised fully, as a "target man", like in real life.

Here's how my season is going after 32 games:

FM-1.png

I haven't noticed that bug yet Chris.
I'm not that far in my season with Lille, but i play really slllllloooooooooowwwwww.
I had a heck of a calendar: first 4 matches: Marseille, Toulouse, PSG and OL...only Toulouse was a home match. Despite that i won 2 matches, had one draw against OM and lost against PSG (which unfortunately is Lille's big rival).

Oh, the backpass bug Chris, I've noticed it a few times, not as much as 2/3 times PER GAME though!!! :SHOCK: I also play on extended highlights.

Anyone had the bug where they just throw the ball straight out for a goal-kick during a throw-in near the opposition penalty area?

Happened to me a couple of times, on key highlights.

I've started a game with West Ham.

I turned budgets off in the first window so no transfers have been made and the club has now been taken over by a new chariman (completed in November). He was kind enough to let me know I will not be given any funds for transfers which should make life a bit difficult if I want to achieve my personal aim of a European place.

My first 4 league games were: Liverpool away, Chelsea away, Tottenham home, Man City home. :SHOCK:

I came away with 1 point from those with a 2-2 draw against big rivals Spurs and I was fearing for my job after having my arse handed to me by the other 3 (scored 2, conceded 11) and was sitting right at the foot of the table.

Luckily enough, I got more time and having been spanked at home by City, I changed tactics and went on an 11 game run where I won 9 (including beating Arsenal and Man United in a week) and lost once and this took me right up into 5th place at one point.

It's January now and due to the lack of funds I've only been able to sign a 17 year old who was released by Atletico Madrid but he's nowhere near good enough for the first team and possibly won't ever be from the looks of him. I can't even get anyone on loan as all the clubs want a loan fee which I obviously can't afford.

I'm now 7th and confident I can keep it up til the end of the season and exceed the expectations of the board and qualify for Europe.

Last edited:
It's horribly realistic, Tranmere have millions of pounds' worth of loans to pay back (meaning that you make a loss each and every month), every player who can hit the ball straight wants out (both of them), and yet the board expect you to get a play-off place.

The pressure is on but thanks to getting an entirely new back-line and a goalkeeper, we've only conceded 5 goals in 10 games so far (there goes the realism then).

Seriously though, that's what has annoyed me about the game for a while, not only would Tranmere never bring in 5 free transfers of Championship quality but I doubt they would gel immediately and concede so few goals so quickly as well. It doesn't feel real in that respect but it's so close to perfection as a package, IMO.

Wish I conceded fewer goals. I'm top of the league but have conceded far too many goals. Games against teams that play 4-3-3 tend to end 3-2, 3-3, 4-3 etc which seems a little unrealistic since many teams in Serie A play with this formation.

Every game in Serie A is 0-0 ;)).

My defence is quite tight, but it's my strikers that have been letting me down lately. Weve been the better team most matches and created lots of chances, but just unable to put them away. McKenzie and Burton are my main strikers. Dickson on the bench. And Izale McClown is getting no where near my first team.

It's horribly realistic, Tranmere have millions of pounds' worth of loans to pay back (meaning that you make a loss each and every month), every player who can hit the ball straight wants out (both of them), and yet the board expect you to get a play-off place.

The pressure is on but thanks to getting an entirely new back-line and a goalkeeper, we've only conceded 5 goals in 10 games so far (there goes the realism then).

Seriously though, that's what has annoyed me about the game for a while, not only would Tranmere never bring in 5 free transfers of Championship quality but I doubt they would gel immediately and concede so few goals so quickly as well. It doesn't feel real in that respect but it's so close to perfection as a package, IMO.

The bit i underlined is very funny and is an explanation why football is fantastic and what is that makes somebody a true fan and not a glory hunter.

I don't agree with the last part (unless Chris uses the same irony as in the underlined passage, but it seems to me, he's not...) that is fantastic about games, you can achieve things that you would never be able to achieve in real life...i agree that it can't be too exagerated (a lower league side getting promotion every year, winning the Premiership and the year after winning the Champions League for example). But what Chris describes is not that unrealistic.

In my game with Lille, I had 7 million euro transfer funds. I sold one player to Lyon (Balmont) and could buy only one single player (CB Kader Mangane)...at the end of the transfer window i still had 6,3 million euro...I made exagerated bids for players who are worth 2,4 million euro...yet i couldn't buy another one...not even when i made a 4 million bid including 2 players for Mathieu Valbuena (who is worth between 2 and 3 million euro). Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i have no idea what.

Still, this is a great game...

It makes a big difference if you're bidding for a player that is a 'rotation' or 'back up' or a 'first team player'. I've found that making a reasonable offer to rotation players often works, assuming its not a rival club. E.g. Guberti was a rotation player at Roma and was worth £3.5m I offered around £4.5-5m and they accepted.

The only time trading a player seems to work is if they're interested in him... but most of the time they seem to never agree terms with my player.

Back
Top Bottom