Football Manager 2010

The pitchside instructions bit looks brilliant!

Along with the player view (much more personal and less like a spreadsheet), and the tactics editor (sounds a lot more personal and realistic again).

Yeah some good changes 100 new animations for 3D match engine is good news i hope the shooting looks better. :)

It all looks very nice and clean, I like the improvements and new features.

Its going to have to wait until next summer for me though.

The tactic thing looks promising. Does any1 know what that pic with lots of arrows means? i can only understand that it is related to passing and loss of possession of the ball, but what's up with the mess or arrows??
It's going to take me some time to get used to that new layout though.
Overall there was improvement, lets just wait and see if it is practical.

Does any1 know what that pic with lots of arrows means? i can only understand that it is related to passing and loss of possession of the ball, but what's up with the mess or arrows??
It's their rip-off of ProZone - shows you all the attempted and completed passes throughout the game, to help you analyse the game (i.e. certain people only making successful passes to people within a certain range, or on the side of their better foot).

I doubt I'll ever use it.

SEGA is offering a free copy of OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast to anyone pre-ordering Football Manager 2010 on Steam. There's a 25 per cent discount there at the moment, too.

That's significant because OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast is "absolutely brilliant", and well worthy of the 9/10 Eurogamer awarded at the time.

Football Manager 2010 should be equally accomplished, and was unveiled last week as a visually more "vibrant" and mechanically more accessible entry in the series.

But, as far as pre-order campaigns go, rival Championship Manager 2010 leads the scoring - offering fans the opportunity to "Pay What You Want" for the game, which can be as low as £2.51.

Championship Manager 2010 launches first on 11th September, followed by Football Manager 2010 on 30th October.

Not bad but it's still £29.99 and you can pick Outrun up for less than a fiver on Play. FM 2010 itself is £24.99 from PowerplayDirect.

Any idea when a demo of this might be around?
I'm thinking I might pick up a manager game this year as I've not played one since LMA on the PS1/2 and the last pc manager game I played was.. I think Champ Manager 2. I tried some Fifa manager years ago on the pc but I never really got past the first week of it but it looked cool how you could build your stadiums and you'd see little 3 D models with scaffolding and lose gate receipts.

Anyway... I'm after a demo because with CM being £2:51 or whatever you want to pay I'd like to see if this is worth paying much more for when this is out.

I think FM really can really be considered a realistic football management sim. You can approach the game as a serious tinker man or a quick play kind of person, and the game will still workout. There are minor annoyances that occur, but then again all football games have them. For a first timer the game may appear unflattering because it may seem very complicated, but it really isn't after you learn the basics. imo its worth its price tag compared to the competition and is the king of football sims.

Just one thing that I want is a less complicated game.

I don't want to spend a day reading a guide just to move sliders the best way possible just to win a league or spend a week just to understand how they work, etc. I just want a game that I can get home from work and play, win some stuff and have fun, not make a human race theory behind it. Because that's what you have to go through to play it well.
The new tactics thing better be good, because those sliders thing really piss me off.. its like your making your players heads or something, it so unrealistic.
Simple is the key word.

FM09 is way to easy IMO.:YAWN:
But I do agree with the sliders and stuff but I wouldn't wanna call it simple, rather than logical and realistic. No manager have ever told me to "yeah, pull your creativityslider up a notch and pressureslider one down", rather than telling me to be more creative and not pressure as high.

But easier? No way, I wan't it to be a challange and right now I can pull a Conference team straight up to the PL and that should be harder.

But I guess that's a choice they have to make and I belive that Miles said that the PC/Mac game will be simulation will the PSP version is a bit more arcadeish and simpler.

Last edited:
To be fair though, how else can you make your team more attacking or more defensive etc? Sliders imo are the best way to implement these kinds of things. But I think there should be more sliders, or at least more detail to the current sliders. For example I want to set the height of my defensive line and actually see how high or low it is. I also want to actually be able to see the man marking on specific players.

Looking at that new tactic creation screen I think they've nailed it.

That's how it should be in my opinion, setting it up via text (i.e. speech) and not mathematical sliders. I hope that's not just a "wizard".

I thought somebody else would have posted these but here you go, two new match engine videos below:

YouTube - Football Manager 2010 work in progress highlights reel

YouTube - FM2010 work in progress - Sao Paulo vs Vitoria

I'm really disappointed to be honest, the AI looks better but the animation in the Championship Manager match engine is so far superior that it's not even funny. Yes the Champ Man engine is rubbish compared to the Football Manager engine - unfortunately you get players running out of play with the ball repeatedly and goalies running up to the half-way line for no reason every game in the CM 2010 demo. But still, it's hard to accept this kind of animation when you've seen the CM animation. It's so rigid that it takes a lot of feeling away.

Best example I can give you; in FM a player can pull his leg back an inch and watch the ball fly off magically into the net before he's even started to push his leg forward again. It just ruins that "goal" feeling entirely for me. In the CM 2010 demo, when one of your players scores a "proper" goal, i.e. not through a bug (which is rare), you get that feeling that they've whacked the ball and it's an out-of-your-seat moment (especially if they've dribbled and beat a man to get there).

Last edited:
The match engine looks just as bad as FM 09, not really acceptable in 2009 to have it look as bad as that, I won't be buying this.

Last FM I bought was 07, which I thought was too similar to CM4 to be worth getting, unless they actually put some effort into an FM i'm not paying for it.

In the last 10 years, the only things they've really done are make a 2D match engine, add team talks and then turn the match engine 3D. Now they think just being able to shout at players (12 months work) is worth £20+, they must be having a laugh.

There's a lot more than shouting at players gone into it.

And those vids aren't showing the latest match engine either, which looks a lot better.

What else really is there?

New animations, stadium, crowd, pitch degredation - not really that impressive.
Match analysis/prozone thing - could be helpful for tactics, but you can normally see what the problems with your team are by watching the matches anyway
New skin - loads of new skins are made after release anyway, and most people had no problem navigating the game before anyway.
Bug fixes/tweaks

Can't think of much else, that's not really a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking up the champ man game this week. If it's crap or the demo of FM2010 blows me away and I decide I want that then I'vbe only spent £2.51 on CM.

I'm picking up the champ man game this week. If it's crap or the demo of FM2010 blows me away and I decide I want that then I'vbe only spent £2.51 on CM.
Ditto. From playing the demo I'm pretty sure it's going to be crap - for a start there's data inaccuracies at Tranmere, players who are white in real life but black in the game etc. and that's never a good sign when it comes to manager games.

But the match engine has far, far, far far far too many problems to solve within a month. God it annoys me when the ball goes within a yard of the touchline because you know the next player to touch it is going to kick it out for a throw-in or worse, a corner, which leads to a goal.

When the match engine works you get some good moments but it's not often enough. Still, if it makes the wait for FIFA 10/FM 2010 a bit shorter then it's £2.51 well spent (and it might go towards making the next game a bit more decent anyway, that's how I'm looking at it - otherwise I'd go mad, because deep down I know it's going to be a total waste of money even if it is only £2.51).

I searched on Google and all I found apart from what I said was that the data editor is improved...
The wink is because he's beta-testing it and he knows stuff he can't say, the swine.

I'm still looking forward to it because 2009 is a good game (better than CM 2010, well the demo at least). But after seeing the animations you get in CM 2010's match engine and imagining how good it would have been if FM had worked with the guys who put it together, I actually feel cheated.

It's like CM are saying "look, manager games don't have to have really dull and grey match engines with no soul", and FM are saying "but that's how we like it"...

If there was anything groundbreaking I think they'd announce it... The list of "improvements" just doesn't cut it for me.

I don't really expect anything groundbreaking, I don't think it needs anything groundbreaking (like FIFA at the minute).

It just would have been nice if they'd have upgraded the graphics/animations in the match engine. Not to FIFA/PES standards but to CM's standards at least.

I hate being in that situation where you say "if game A just had this thing [i.e. the animations] from game B it would be perfect". Meaning that if I play either game that's all I'm going to be thinking about, which is going to put me off totally in the end.

"Just think how much better this could be..." So then I'll play the other one and think "I love the animations but the rest of it is no good..." So then I'll just play FIFA instead.

The match engine doesnt bother me at all. It's the little intricate things that grip me to FM, if they could make the transfers more realistic and have more realistic media and interaction with players it'd be brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom