Football Manager 2010

I'm playing an online game with 3 of my mates - I'm Ipswich and they have Coventry, Sheffield United and Reading. We're only 6 games into the Championship season, the transfer window has just shut.

We've signed some decent players, i'll spoiler them in case people don't want to know who is good to sign (I don't really like being told who is a good signing, defeats the object of the game imo, that's why that Genie Scout thing seems completely pointless - it's playing a massive part of the game for you):

Jan Rajnoch, 400k (27 years old, DC/DM/CM) - Mlada Boleslav.
James Vaughan, loan (21 years old, ST) - Everton.
Danny Swanson, 375k (22 years old, AM RC) - Dundee United.
Abubakari Yakubu, free agent (27 years old, D RC/WB R/DM/CM).
Shelton Martis, loan (26 years old, DC) - West Brom.
Jérémy Hélan, 240k (17 years old, LB/LWB) - Man City.
Keko, free (17 years old, AM RC) - Atletico Madrid - I was looking at Atletico's squad, and saw this guy had £0 value and was available to approach to sign so I scouted him and he had some potential, I couldn't afford the compensation i'd have to pay to sign him so just did a cheeky £0 bid and for some reason they accepted it! Pretty stupid really considering other teams were just offering contracts which would have got them the compensation.
Iarley, 100k (35 years old, CF) - Goiás.
Jonathan Cristaldo, loan (20 years old, CF) - Vélez.
Damien Plessis, loan (21 years old, DM/CM) - Liverpool.
Jano Ananidze, 275k (16 years old, AMC) - Spartak Moscow. Joins in January 2011.
Roman Hubnik, 900k (25 years old, D RLC)) - FC Moscow. Joins in January 2010.

Overall i'm happy with my signings, I could have done with a quality left back and a keeper but they are the two hardest positions to find good affordable players in I think.

A quick list of the best signings my mates have made:
Coventry - Amr Zaki (£1.9m), Ebi Smolarek (free), Rene Mihelic (150k), Glauber (free), Ali Elkhattabi (free)
Sheffield United - Edixon Perea (650k), Ross Wallace (500k), Manuel Ruz (100k), Asmir Begovic (loan)
Reading - Simeon Jackson (500k), Walid Regragui (free)

Currently i'm 8th with 3 wins and 3 losses, I beat Middlesbrough at the Riverside 2-1 in my last match! :) Been very inconsistent... played really well one game then absolutely poo the next, with all my tactical instructions basically being ignored.
Coventry are 3rd with 5 wins and 1 loss, a very undeserved 4-2 loss against Bristol City who scored from 4 set pieces against the run of play. Scored 18 conceded 7 after 6 games... that's why this game isn't a simulation :P.
Reading and Sheffield United are rubbish - 18th and 21st respectively :LOL:.

Charlton have just been taken over in my game.

Robinson has added that although it had been his intention to appoint a new manager following the takeover, he will consider letting you keep your job and will inform you of his decision shortly.

He's already put about £4M into the club and sorted the finances out. Given 600k for transfers. Hope I can stay.....

Nah it's nothing to do with the ultimatum button, I'm 12 games in and the papers say that "a bad result in the next game [against the top team...] will seal my fate".

It's a bastard but saying that, you get sacked quickly in football nowadays, so I won't moan about it. It's pretty realistic, we're only 10th (after a run of games where the team's conceded from every free kick we've given away and we're always getting scored against in the dying minutes), but the board's expectations are (ridiculously) play-offs so...

Anyone found that the minutes your ass man say other teams generally score from are true? I had to play Valencia and it said they score most their goals between the 1st and 16th minute.... they scored 2 goals then defended all game. He then said they concede most their goals between the 60th and 70th minute... in which I scored 2 goals.

Well after the amazing start I had things could only go downhill - and they did. We ended up finishing 3rd. Got Bristol Rovers in the play offs and proceeded to fuck up the whole season by losing 3-1 at theirs and drawing 0-0 at mine. On a positive note the new chairman says the fans support for my management persuaded him to let me stay, and I got a new 3 year contract. Expectation is to win League 1 this season with £0 transfer budget, thanks :ROLL:.

So I signed 5 players on free transfers :)). Including Kevin Kyle, Sylvinho and Nicky Butt!

He didn't use the ultimatum option, his target was "promotion" and he was 18th, then he applied for the Newcastle job when they sacked their manager then the Reading board just decided to sack him :LOL:. We have a rule where if you get sacked, you can retire your manager and make a new one at any club below where you were, so he picked Newcastle (who were 20th!).

My target is "top half" and i'm 8th, but this game is so frustrating at times... I'm beating most teams better than me and dropping points against crap teams! The backroom advice says I struggle against teams who play 4-4-2 and teams who have a lower reputation.

At the start of the season, I was conceding a lot of cheap goals, but also scoring quite a lot too (not many draws - I either won or lost), so I decided to change the tactics and formation round quite a lot, from a simple 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 (back 4, then a DM, 2 CMs, two attacking wingers and a striker) and I am conceding FAR fewer goals, and when I do they are generally long rangers or headers but also scoring a lot less!
Another bad thing about this formation is that I can't play probably my best striker (Iarley) as he isn't fast or strong enough to be a lone striker, instead i'm using Vaughan but his finishing has been woeful lately...

I don't know whether to let the players settle into playing this way or mix it up again...

Whenever I lose though on FM 10, it seems like it's actually my team playing poorly rather than the game cheating/being biased from kick off which seemed to be the case on 09...

Tim7 said:
So I signed 5 players on free transfers :). Including Kevin Kyle, Sylvinho and Nicky Butt!
Fail! :D

He's actually good on this though! Should be good for League 1

How he has 15 finishing is an absolute joke...

I don't understand how ANYONE could say he's a 15/20 finisher... He didn't even look like a footballer at Coventry, I think he only scored 5 goals for us and all of them were headers!
If you watched him play, you'll realise he's an awful finisher and if you look at his goalscoring record, you'll realise he's an awful finisher... how did the researcher come up with that finishing attribute for him? :ROLL:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oi, you leave my best striker alone. Agree with the feeling of not being cheated, I didn't feel it once dring the whole of last season :)).

So it is possible to play the game online with friends then? How does it work being a turne based game? If it's real that the game doesn't cheat, then I may be interested in it...

Nah it's nothing to do with the ultimatum button, I'm 12 games in and the papers say that "a bad result in the next game [against the top team...] will seal my fate".

It's a bastard but saying that, you get sacked quickly in football nowadays, so I won't moan about it. It's pretty realistic, we're only 10th (after a run of games where the team's conceded from every free kick we've given away and we're always getting scored against in the dying minutes), but the board's expectations are (ridiculously) play-offs so...

What expectation did u set for the board in the begining of the season? i mean did u pick play-offs?

I find that is extremely important... Id say its better to have a smaller budget in the 1st season but set the expectation to the lowest avalible, so u get time to gel your team and try to really compete in the 2nd season...

So it is possible to play the game online with friends then? How does it work being a turne based game? If it's real that the game doesn't cheat, then I may be interested in it...
I use Hamachi to create a "LAN" over the internet, I create the server and my mates join it. For some reason trying to play online without Hamachi doesnt work for us.
Then on the game you create a game with the leagues you all want and then go to preferences and tick "Run as server" and then add the "Force continue" option as well if you like (it makes the game to count down from a certain time when a certain percentage of people have continued, when the time runs out it continues automatically, to speed the game up).
The game should appear in the game on your friends' "Local games" bit on the Network screen, if not they will just have to copy the hosts Hamachi IP and copy it into the "Join Other Server" option.

I think FM is much better online with at least a couple of people you know, I don't know how people get fun out of it playing on their own with nobody (interested in it) to talk about it with. It takes a while to get through pre-season while people sort out signing/training/coaches etc. but once the season starts it's much more fun.

The lack of cheating is possibly the best thing about FM10 - I currently have one win in 7 games now, but it feels like a realistic dip in form rather than a series of games that the game has decided you won't win...
You feel like any highlight could result in a goal, whereas on 09 you could tell after the first few whether it was one of "those games" where you weren't going to score.

Theres 4 points between 8th and 20th (and 6 points between 8th and 6th) in the Championship on my game! So close, I need to pick up some points quickly or could find myself firmly in the bottom half :CONFUSE:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob92 do u know if hamachi makes the online speed better than playing directly from FM?
Me and a friend are playing it directly from FM but he said that its annoying how slow is the button press delay.

Anyone found that the minutes your ass man say other teams generally score from are true? I had to play Valencia and it said they score most their goals between the 1st and 16th minute.... they scored 2 goals then defended all game. He then said they concede most their goals between the 60th and 70th minute... in which I scored 2 goals.
What's weird is that I found early on, the VAST majority of my goals were being shipped in the first ten minutes. I was thinking about this for a few games and then suddenly I get a message from the assistant manager telling me that we are. I was really shocked at that, I think that's a brilliant feature.

It says to me that we're panicky at the start so I always start on defensive now, then once the "danger period" is over I'll set the team up to be more attacking. I'm getting improved results now.

I haven't noticed that teams always seem to score within their supposedly most successful periods though. Like I say, with me it was always in the first ten minutes, but now it's pretty random.

What expectation did u set for the board in the begining of the season? i mean did u pick play-offs?

I find that is extremely important... Id say its better to have a smaller budget in the 1st season but set the expectation to the lowest avalible, so u get time to gel your team and try to really compete in the 2nd season...
I didn't have any choice, I was just told that the expectations were play-offs at the start of the season.

If I'd had a choice I'd have picked the lowest expectation available, but they're making it like reality. After Tranmere finished one point outside the play-offs last season, anyone who took over at the start of the season was there to take us into the play-offs, no arguments (hah, and look where we are now).

I didn't have any choice, I was just told that the expectations were play-offs at the start of the season.

If I'd had a choice I'd have picked the lowest expectation available, but they're making it like reality. After Tranmere finished one point outside the play-offs last season, anyone who took over at the start of the season was there to take us into the play-offs, no arguments (hah, and look where we are now).

I c, thats pretty weird though, in every of my 3 seasons i started(diferent teams) i had that choice.

I think having the choice depends on the situation of the club, but I may be wrong. It's the first time I can remember having no choice in an FM game as well, for the few years that it's been introduced anyway.

Rob92 do u know if hamachi makes the online speed better than playing directly from FM?
Me and a friend are playing it directly from FM but he said that its annoying how slow is the button press delay.
We only use Hamachi because direct IP wouldn't work at all for us, Hamachi makes it simple to connect to each other and there have been no complaints from the 3 people I play it with (but we are all within about a 4 mile radius of each other!).

I can't answer your question, but if you have problems with the speed then giving Hamachi a go won't hurt, it's a small download and very easy to use :).

Ahh FFS.

The new owner of Newcastle gave me £80 million to spend at the start of our first season in the premiership. Well of course I spent a huge chunk of that on new players. I didn't really want to as I wanted to stuggle in the premiership and have a real fight on my hands to keep the squad under control ... but on the plus side it gave me a great chance to get the shit out of the team and bring in a lot of new young talent and then I can struggle with them as they're not fully developed yet.

Well the transfer window has just closed I've just had a new message informing me that the new owner has announced an injection of £61 million.

haha
Well I picked Newcastle so I could have a tough time trying to rebuild the club, feel the pressure of the fans and their desperation to win something and have to deal with all of the egos in the club with them all thinking they're too good to play in the championship.

Instead they all love me, the chairman is throwing more money than sense at me and I'm just walking over nearly everyone I play.

Question.

I have a player in my team who is questioning his role at the club. In press interviews they keep asking me what I intend to do and I have the options to respond and say I will talk with him.

how the hell do you do that?

When i click 'interact' on his name i only have options like 'recommend a singing or moan at him'

====

Also I keep getting messages saying that I haven't had a backroom meeting for a while. how do you set one of those up because at the moment I only seem to be able to do one when I get an email telling me.

===

Oh and when you have your meetings - if you 'dismiss the advice' does that basically tell them that you don;t care and you're not going to listen to that piee of info or does that just tick it off as done?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom