Football Manager 2010

Also I keep getting messages saying that I haven't had a backroom meeting for a while. how do you set one of those up because at the moment I only seem to be able to do one when I get an email telling me.

===

Oh and when you have your meetings - if you 'dismiss the advice' does that basically tell them that you don;t care and you're not going to listen to that piee of info or does that just tick it off as done?

I'm still getting to grips with it myself. The messages about not having had a backroom meeting just crop up when you haven't been to the Backroom Advice screen for a while, that's where you're taken when you click the link in the email anyway.

I'm pretty sure dismissing the advice just clears it from your list. I've not had a coach storm off yet anyway.

I've seen that but when I get the message about back room meeting it tells me that I haven't rganised one for a while. Almost as if it's saying that I should have done one myself already. when i go into the backroom advice i only tend to have things like 'close down this guy' or 'we have a height advantage'. It doesn't come up with the 'lets praise this guy' 'lets put this guy up for sale' 'this guy has made a training improvement' style meeting.

If you just go into your backroom staff tab say once every month or so, and not around a game then it should have that kinda stuff. It turns into pre-match advice meeting in the days before a game.

I've been ignoring a fair bit of what they say as when they tell me to praise players, often they've reacted surprised and feel as though they dont have to do much to win praise!

I've just finished my 3rd season. Won the league on the final day! I had to win and Man City had to lose, or I had to beat their goal difference (I was 3 goals behind them). I was at home to Birmingham, they were at home to Chelsea (who were 3rd). In the end I won 4-1 and they lost 2-0 :COOL:

I also won the Carling Cup and the Champions League on penalties against Real Madrid :))

Although the formation I was using (4-1-1-2-2) was working fine, I decided it wasn't scoring me enough goals, so I chopped it in for something much more direct.

On that basis, in the 4th pre-season, I sold Sakho to City for £42m, and decided to try my luck with Milan and offered £65m for Pato! They refused, but said they'd sell for £120m!! I tried two more offers, of £75m and then a final bid of £82m, which was accepted! Massive amount of money, and with a few other transfers it completely wiped me out, cash wise. His history was superb, though. Well over 8.20 average for 3 seasons work. I also brought in Veloso, but it took me about 25 minutes of comparisons and searching. I had it down to Veloso, Gago and Flamini but Veloso seemed like the best option.

Summary of transfers included :

In
Pato (Milan) £82m
Rio Ferdinand (United) 4m
Miguel Veloso (Sporting) 12m
Michael Carrick (United) p/ex

Out
Sandro (United) 14m + Michael Carrick
Mamadou Sakho (City) £42m
Robbie Keane (Liverpool) Loan then £2m fee

The new formation has a sole striker flanked by two attacking midfielders (or Forwards), then a central midfielder and a back four protetected by two defensive midfielders. Played 6 games so far in the 4th season, winning 5 and drawing 1. I must add, that 5 of my first team have been on Internation Duty and haven't actually played yet (including Pato, Balotelli, Fabio, Neymar and Santon!). I'm looking forward to seeing what the full team is capable of with this formation, as the current squad is having a great time! :LOL:

This will be my starting XI with the formation I'm using at the moment :

newformation.jpg

My bench is :
Foster
Ferdinand
Carrick
Palacios
Beckham
Ronaldinho
Giovani
Defoe

I've also got some great youngsters and reserves.

Download link for tactic for you to try out :

http://www.4shared.com/file/156752323/3e3b...Tottenham_.html

:COOL:

Last edited:
It definitely works, maybe it's something to do with the classic tactics and new wizard?!

I just finished my season with West Ham.

Finished 7th in the league, 5 points behind Manchester United who finished 6th and won the FA Cup on penalties after a 1-1 draw with Manchester City.

Going from my last post, during the January transfer window City asked how much I'd want for Mark Noble (my star performer at the time). I asked for £24m, thinking they'd turn it down but they accepted and my cash strapped board gave me £9m to spend on improving the squad.

I bought
Ibrahim Afellay for £11.5m from PSV and Arturo Vidal for £7.75m from Leverkusen, (both with small upfront fees and the rest in instalments over 3 years) and I got Davide Petrucci on loan from Manchester United to bolster the midfield since Noble had gone.
My season carried on as it had started with some decent results against the better teams (I did the double over United and got draws with Liverpool (a 3-3 thriller) and Chelsea), and struggling against the leagues bottom clubs.

The 2 major signings were impressive and Vidal spent alot of time filling in at left back due to injury and suspension, and his versatility proved very useful. Guillermo Franco was my top scorer with 24 goals. A special mention to Carlton Cole who got 13 goals mainly from the bench, although he did get a hattrick in a rare start against Liverpool.

The highlight of the season was of course winning a quite boring FA Cup Final 4-2 on penalties after a 1-1 draw with City after they'd spent all but 18 minutes of the 120 with ten men. I got an 84th minute equaliser so felt quite lucky at the end.

So, now I've qualified for Europe which was my aim at the beginning but I'm getting itchy feet and fancy a change so I'm going to see if any vacancies arise over the summer, although the fans and board are delighted with my performance as manager. :SMUG:

Last edited:
Just playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with him as the lone target man.

I chose 'International' as usually it's a nightmare getting your players to play well in the Premiership otherwise. Actually, the level below probably would've been fine for West Ham but I'd done international anyway.

Damn it seems I may be out of a job soon on this game.

After being given now about £160 million and spending a lot of it on rebuilding the defence and midfield and buying a super striker the fans and owner loved me and everything was going great.
Then my super striker broke his foot and is now out for 4 to 5 months, 2 of my midfield players are on long term injuries and the defender I brought in is constantly getting himself sent off.

So I now sit in 8th position in my first year back in the prem. It's the middle of February and the fans are now grumbling that we should be higher up in the league and now the players and even the owner have started to throw in little digs here and there.

Good times are back!

Finally found a tactic that works for me :D. I've set the team up to counter attack and use Walters as a target man (he wins every header!) who has just come back from injury, and he has scored 5 or 6 goals in the 8 games he's had back, including a 25 yard winner in the 93rd minute against West Brom :D.

My defence is still rubbish but I think that's mainly down to the players rather than the tactics, at least it's not costing me too many points as i'm outscoring the opposition... I'm unbeaten in 6 now and up to 8th, 3 points off the playoffs.

Signing a few good players on a bosman for next season:
Manuele Blasi, Palermo - Surprised I got this guy, I think he's a Prem quality defensive midfielder.
Giampiero Pinzi, Udinese - Another fairly good Italian centre mid.
Andreas Johansson, Aalborg - Yet another centre mid, this time a more creative attacking one, should do well in the Championship.
Kevin Kyle, Kilmarnock - Extremely overrated...

My mate at Sheffield United went on a 9 game winning streak and went 2nd, Coventry's form dipped and they've dropped to 3rd and Newcastle are 2 points behind me in 10th.

Does anyone else thing long shots are a bit exaggerated on this? My defensive mid has 10 goals in 26 games, most of them stunners from 25+ yards or from free kicks (he has 17 long shots, 16 free kicks). The rest of my team seems to be scoring a lot from 25+ yards as well.

@Jumbo - Thanks :)

P.S. - Could other people please use spoilers when they are listing their signings or posting their lineups, and use white text when mentioning players. Some people don't like to know who is a good player to sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that frustrates me (and this is very trivial), is the Goal of the Month. 95% of them are "curling efforts" from outside the box.

Meh.

just downloaded that logo pack, it says put it in the graphics folder? i havent got a graphics folder?

I downloaded it off of steam, would that be why?

If not can somebody tell me how to pu this logo pack in?

cheers.

Bobby C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010

make a graphics folder in there

I am shit at this game. Keep trying different tactics, but can't find the right ones!!

Tweaking at the moment with Arsenal, but it is really frustrating. Some times my players play brilliantly, then the next game they get a 5.8 or something?!

I will get there in the end. I think it is a case of relearning, as the last footy manager I played alot of was many moons ago.

Team talks don't seem as exaggerated as in previous FMs imo.

On 09, you had a better chance of winning if you were 1-0 down at half time than if you were 1-0 up, as the "I want to see more from you!" team talk would magically turn your/their team from shit to brilliant with a complete shift in luck.
Me and my mates used to call it "the magic team talk", it was a pretty ridiculous part of FM 09...

On FM 10 team talks seem to have much less of an effect and don't seem to affect the team's performance much at all.

I remember on CM93/94, on home games you gave the players a win bonus of £100. Away games either £250 or £500 for those more difficult fixtures. Haha, worked a treat.

I finished my first season with Fulham. Finished 7th and qualified for the Europa League. Only brought in one player in the first transfer window and that was a leftback. Now I have brought in a GK, CB, and a ST. Will try to pick up a couple of youths for the future. Hopefully will qualify for champions league but if I make the Europa again, that's fine too.

I'm in the FA Cup semi final! :D I beat Villa 4-1 when they played their first team, great performance...
I had some bad luck in that I got Liverpool in the draw when Hull and Stoke are the other semi finalists.

On a really good run of form now... Last 4 games have been 4-1, 3-2, 4-1, 3-0. I'm 3 points from getting into the playoff places but all the teams above me keep winning! :(
Walters' return from injury really has boosted the side, he's made a contribution of 15 goals and 7 assists in 18 games. If he hadn't been injured for 5 months at the start of the season I could have been in a much better position, the team is built around him.

Back
Top Bottom