FIFA (All Versions) Career Mode Stories

For those interested, I've just posted a (very short) highlights video from my last game, Manchester United (AI) v Newcastle (Me), over in the video thread.

I'm slightly concerned that Ultimate is too easy, and that, weirdly, I might have to stick to Legendary (which I struggle on) - but I'll keep working with the sliders!

That being said, we lost 1-0 to Tottenham away from home before this game - and in this match, United were playing a load of kids (which I guess you might do against a bottom-half team) - so I'm sure it'll be fine...

Either way, it was the best game I've played over my two-season reign, and only the second time we've beat a team in the top four (both coming this season after strengthening over the summer).
It's weird when it comes to difficulty in this game.
I have no problems scoring and dominate possession on ULT.
But once they get hold of it,it's clinical and fast paced as hell.
Realised after trying different difficulties today.
1 WC plays the best (flow/AI calmness)
1 LEG pretty much the same,but sharper up front.

IMG_20190327_132211.jpg
WC first half
Same sliders as on ULTIMATE

IMG_20190327_134538.jpg
LEG first half same setup

So I'm probably going with LEG.
I'm a bit tired of button pushing,that's pretty much been my games lately,100mph from the CPU.

So let me get this straight, and sorry if it's a stupid question: does FIFA 19 (maybe from 17 on?) have an even higher level of diffculty, Ultimate? Just curious

So let me get this straight, and sorry if it's a stupid question: does FIFA 19 (maybe from 17 on?) have an even higher level of diffculty, Ultimate? Just curious
Yes ,not sure if it came on 18 already
But ultimate is the highest difficulty now

Only in FIFA 19 can you access "Ultimate" difficulty for career mode (previously it was only available online).

But how FIFA difficulties work is absolutely bizarre. For years a lot of the community have believed that World Class and Legendary were mixed up - but they're not - because Legendary would result in the AI playing in a more human-like fashion (with less lightning reflex first-time ping-pong passing), and I would say in 19 Ultimate is more human (and easier) than Legendary is.

The mistake in the video I posted earlier was made by the AI, on Ultimate difficulty - totally misplacing an easy pass, right into the path of my player. That doesn't happen as often on Legendary. It's bizarre.

EDIT: If you do go into FUT and "Squad Battles", you can see graphs that show you the difference between each difficulty level - the vertical yellow lines show you where the difficulty bar is for Professional and World Class respectively:

fifa-18-squad-battles_1v09rngvhcmou17hmwer05k6up.jpg

FIFA-18-Squad-Battles-Rewards-640x360.jpg

For me, the next step should be allowing us to create custom difficulties by being able to adjust those bars, not just gameplay sliders. Because currently, we can only edit very basic AI behaviour, and physics.

Last edited:
I see. Thank you both :))

Ok, if I remember correctly -- but I'm talking about FIFA 16 here, so I don't know if it still applies -- the higher the difficulty over Professional, the more boosted the CPU ratings and aggression, something like this:
  • Professional: 100% -- Standard
  • World Class: 130%
  • Legendary: 160%
While it's true that, on Legendary most of all, the CPU does indeed play more intelligently, the boosted aggression results in an advantage for the User -- more frenetic build-up, more spaces for you to exploit, meaning paradoxically it's easier.

But maybe @Matt10 can shed some light on this ;))

While it's true that, on Legendary most of all, the CPU does indeed play more intelligently, the boosted aggression results in an advantage for the User -- more frenetic build-up, more spaces for you to exploit, meaning paradoxically it's easier.
The thing is - playing Man United earlier, that definitely wasn't the case. I think their "custom tactics" mean they play the Mourinho way, and so they weren't much interested in attacking, but defensively they weren't tight to my players either, which meant the match was much too easy (whereas the game before, against Tottenham, was very difficult to create chances).

The bar charts I've updated my post above with (I don't know if you saw them after I edited it) show that "marking" is one of the things that are supposedly boosted on the higher difficulty levels - against Tottenham that was definitely the case, and I couldn't get past ANYONE - but against United they were really sloppy. BUT they played a much younger defence, so, maybe it's just realistic!

For me, the major difference between difficulty levels is the way the AI plays this really silly, never-needs-to-take-a-touch, first-time ping-pong passing that isn't even affected by which way the player is facing! If that could be deleted from the game it'd improve massively - maybe that's something caused by those "boosts" you talk about?

Yet, on Ultimate, I find they tend to "think" a bit more rather than pass immediately - and end up with a ridiculously high pass accuracy (90%+ no matter what) as a result...

It's so strange.

:THINK: I hear you

Ok, you can do 2 things to reduce ping-pong passing, but as you surely know they come with negative things of their own:
  • Reduce Pass Speed -- and we both know what happens when you reduce it too much
  • Reduce FT Control Error -- but reduce it too much, and the CPU will keep hold of the ball to much

Always some detail that bugs me when starting a career
Mainly that you can't change certain things when up and running (stadiums being it)

So for the 600th time I've restarted,and I'm very pleased with it all (stadium allocation is a nightmare)
And my stupid moves in the transfer market(previous saves) aren't bugging me.

I'm only two games in,might SIM a few later on.
But I'm very pleased how it plays on LEG and I'm quite happy with signing my younger players to long contracts.

Reason why I'm obsessed with tiny details is that I'm going to get a long run with one team
Genoa!

My squad is 46 players deep
I think I have around 27 to my disposal,probably 15+ out on loans,young players needing first team action.
Finances are shit.
So my signings will be few this season
Transfer in
I've signed a veteran from Milan,Abate,one position that needed some experience,a 77 ovr RB at €6 000 000.
A good move and I think that will be my only one.

Transfer out
Lazovic Racing Club Lens €6,5 mil

Results so far
Genoa CFC 2-0 Hellas Verona (cup)
AC Milan 1-2 Genoa CFC

I'm playing a very young trio up front,and hope to keep doing that,and sell off the older players season by season

I’m starting my career when I finish work with Newcastle Utd the sleeping giant!

So Legendary is harder than Ultimate? Is this definitely a thing or one of those weird placebo effects?

@Mikhail i think its down to sliders.
But i see a lot of strange stuff on ULT making it "easier" on some levels.
Regardless LEG is better,less pingy.
Wish I could spice up WC to be a bit more tougher.
Good luck

I’m starting my career when I finish work with Newcastle Utd the sleeping giant!
Can everyone stop copying me please? :D

So Legendary is harder than Ultimate? Is this definitely a thing or one of those weird placebo effects?
All I can say is, give it a go - play two friendlies with the same teams, both similarly matched (so you know it should be a draw), on Legendary and Ultimate. Any less will likely end up being too easy.

@rockstrongo says he's seeing less "ping" on Legendary compared to Ultimate - I'm seeing the opposite! Perhaps it's our sliders... Either way, the pinginess is really obvious (maybe not with Man United because of their play style, but with most teams - try Leicester maybe).

Brushed off Empoli 3-0 quite easily.
Good game though,lots of chances for me to try a little dribbling etc

Next game was a game I simmed Vs Sassuolo which I lost 3-1.

Just discovered that I'm in the EL this season,which is weird,since I haven't been in earlier careers.
Nevertheless,fun as hell!

Can everyone stop copying me please? :D

All I can say is, give it a go - play two friendlies with the same teams, both similarly matched (so you know it should be a draw), on Legendary and Ultimate. Any less will likely end up being too easy.

@rockstrongo says he's seeing less "ping" on Legendary compared to Ultimate - I'm seeing the opposite! Perhaps it's our sliders.. Either way, the pinginess is really obvious (maybe not with Man United because of their play style, but with most teams - try Leicester maybe).
Probably a lot of team ID and sliders.
My only two games with Burnley was like a pinball machine:)

I'm having a high FTE(75) for the CPU,plus passing at 69.

And I've always said the PL is very souped up!

Bologna at home.
A game that ended 3-2.
My CB gave away the ball twice for Palacio to score on
Guy has a touch like an outdoor shithouse!
Two nice little touches in this one.
Kinda appreciate the scrappy goals more and more,should start posting them instead

I'm 4 w 0 D 1 L right now which is more than expected.
Next up Dynamo Kiev away in the EL.

@Mikhail i think its down to sliders.
But i see a lot of strange stuff on ULT making it "easier" on some levels.
Regardless LEG is better,less pingy.
Wish I could spice up WC to be a bit more tougher.
Good luck
I’ll try Leg, I can always move it up to Ult.

I need a team! Really want to start in EFL Championship but need an official stadium.

Can’t play as Villa again I always choose them.

I’ll try Leg, I can always move it up to Ult.

I need a team! Really want to start in EFL Championship but need an official stadium.

Can’t play as Villa again I always choose them.
Why don't you do an "alternate world" thing and shove a Premier League team down into the Championship? Maybe a team that narrowly avoided relegation last season? Then they'll have their own stadium.

You just press "swap teams" when you start Career Mode:

This was the foot of the table last season:

cP4e0tk.png

I'd pick the worst team (probably Huddersfield) but it will probably end up being too easy as they'll still be better than the other Championship teams I'd imagine...!

-----------

You might be better off picking an average Championship team. Here are all the stadiums below the EPL:

Norwich (Carrow Road) - 1st in Championship
West Brom (The Hawthorns) - 4th in Championship
Middlesborough (Riverside Stadium) - 5th in Championship
Aston Villa (Villa Park) - 6th in Championship
Hull (KCOM Stadium) - 12th in Championship
Swansea (Liberty Stadium) - 15th in Championship
Stoke City (Stoke City Stadium) - 16th in Championship
QPR (Loftus Road) - 18th in Championship
Portsmouth (Fratton Park) - 3rd in League One
Sunderland (Stadium of Light) - 4th in League One

Swansea/Stoke/QPR would be interesting, especially if they've replicated their real-life situations in term of chairman goals (e.g. Newcastle's board targets are all based around making lots of money, to the detriment of your transfer market activity).

League One will definitely be too easy with the teams there - in-fact, even in the Championship on the higher difficulty levels it might be easy due to the other teams having less-than-brilliant attributes, I found the Premier League was a good balance with a poor team.

All worth experimenting with though!

Took some time for some to realize this is the best football game since the PS2 days, by the looks of it.

Took some time for some to realize this is the best football game since the PS2 days, by the looks of it.
Says who?

@Chris Davies

Thanks! Stoke and Swansea sound good. Don’t think Swansea fans would put up with my counter attacking football though they’re obsessed with possession since the Martinez days :LOL:

Also Hull. Nice stadium, alright kits. Terrible squad though!

Quite fancy Wolves too. Decisions!

Decided to go with Leicester City. Nice kits, lovely stadium, good crowd chants and young, talented squad.

Anyone else refuse to use a team if their kits are nasty? I thought about using Norwich but god damn they’re kits are fugly!

Decided to go with Leicester City. Nice kits, lovely stadium, good crowd chants and young, talented squad.

Anyone else refuse to use a team if their kits are nasty? I thought about using Norwich but god damn they’re kits are fugly!
Kits are crucial!
Pretty pissed off that they removed classic kits,always loved playing a retro kit every now and then

Don't know why they removed it,probably offended some YouTubers

Kits are crucial!
Pretty pissed off that they removed classic kits,always loved playing a retro kit every now and then
I hadn't even noticed that! I wonder if it's a legal thing, I've often wondered how they get away with it when it isn't the current sponsor...

Real shame!

I hadn't even noticed that! I wonder if it's a legal thing, I've often wondered how they get away with it when it isn't the current sponsor...

Real shame!
Probably is a legal thing.
Loved playing the old Retro Liverpool kits,both from the 70s and 80s

They pretty much phased that out,17 had a lot of retro kits,18 a few and 19 none.

Played EL for the first time.
Away to D Kiev.
Kinda like the commentators they've brought in

Game was hard as hell.
Gameplay felt different,they closed me down very fast.
First shot on goal for me came in the 58th minute,a real rocket by Hiljemark making it 1-0.
Kiev came back in the 81st minute on a bad clearance by my defender making it 1-1.

But,90th minute I found a gap for my striker who ran at goal,almost got hit by a slide tackle but finished top shelf for 2-1.

Can't beat European nights under the floodlights in October right?

Next up Lazio away.

I really like your slider set B @Chris Davies

So I’ve played 3 games of pre season. Ultimate difficulty with Slider Set B.

Won first two games, lost my third. Topped the group, face Sporting next in the Euro Shield or whatever it’s called.

I like how the game flows now. What I noticed is I’m hitting shots very wide and high over the bar now. Everything feels more unpredictable and realistic.

I’m not getting carried away because I know once form kicks in on Fifa now, it’s hard to lose a game. Hoping that doesn’t happen when League gets underway.

I introduced your sliders to my brother Chris and he loves them. He’s just started a career with wolves and is having a good time.

Whilst I think of this:- what kind of ‘manager’ are you guys?

With that I mean; are you pragmatic or my-team-plays-this-way and that’s how it’s gonna be (Pep Guardiola or Van Gaal for example).

I have tried to play a pure possession game with high pressing, 4-3-3, tiki taka kind of thing. But I always end up getting bored.

I’m more of a (shit version of) Alex Ferguson. I like to attack at all times but I can be pragmatic and defensive when I need to. I also hate sticking with one formation.

I guess I’d like this thread to get more stuff like this talked about, I did ask before but no one told me. Would love to know how @rockstrongo amd @Chris Davies you guys set up your teams.

I play the team (Genoa) pretty much as it's played IRL (4-3-3)
I focus on having as many young players as possible on the pitch.

Only made one signing this season,a must needed RB,that was my weak spot in the team.

I'm more used to play PES to be honest,and some functions in Fifa are kinda weird.
For example,I'm short on LB/RB so I'm using a CB for my LB position at times.
In Pes if you take a 73 ovr CB and put him as a LB his ovr most likely will drop to 67-70 depending on if his secondary position is high or low.
In fifa (I might have missed something here) I can put pretty much any player at any position and he still keeps his ovr rating.
Which is fucked up

One other thing.
Where do you find info on how long a certain player is loaned out?

Long rant short when setting up a team/tactic I base it on what I have.
Fast wingers etc,I go 4-3-3
A shortage of solid LB/RB defenders I go 3-5-2.
I also try to switch it up when needed in games
Kickoff 4-3-3
Defending a lead 4-5-1/5-4-1
Need a point/win 3-5-2 with a AMF behind the strikers.
I've always played with what material I have.
Think that goes back to my early Pes days with shit teams

I think setting up a team and tactics based on your players strengths/weaknesses and how they work in different positions,FIFA needs a team tactics revamp.

I introduced your sliders to my brother Chris and he loves them. He’s just started a career with wolves and is having a good time.
Really glad to hear it! Every time I move away from that set I end up making small adjustments that take me back to it in the end.

I guess I’d like this thread to get more stuff like this talked about, I did ask before but no one told me. Would love to know how @rockstrongo amd @Chris Davies you guys set up your teams.
This is my "normal" formation and lineup, coming up to Christmas in season two...

LgtXqHD.jpg

Tactics are set to:
Defence: Drop Back
Height: 4/10
Width: 5/10
Attack: Possession
Width: 6/10
Players in box when attacking: 2/5
Men forward at set pieces: 3/5

I have a lot of player roles set too. The AM and ST are told to stay central. The ST is a target man. The wide players are told to stay forward, though if I play a team who have pacey wingers I'll knock back to "defensive" from kick-off, which has our wingers set to "come back on defence". The LCM stays put, whereas the RCM is allowed to move forward.

I don't play a huge amount of possession play, but I find this is a good baseline, especially if you don't counter-attack often and usually have to build up the play a little.

I'm usually careful, but then I switch between my tactics depending on the scenario. Here is a brief overview of the others...

LrVBnM7.jpg

@rockstrongo @Chris Davies

Thank you mates very interesting. Love seeing other people’s systems and tactics.

Unfortunately, I’ve had a disappointing session. I won the Euro Cup without breaking a sweat. Then my first two matches away at Man Utd I win 3-0, home to Wolves I win 2-0. In both matches the CPU had just 1 attempt on target, they simply don’t attack me.

What am I doing so different? I’m on Ultimate, Chris’s sliders set B. Set to slow.

Because I use default assists maybe? But how does that effect the CPU being aggressive in attack?

I have to try and not score in the both matches to keep the scores realistic. Leicester are a good side but it’s ridiculous how easy I’ve found my pre season and first two PL fixtures.

I’m really fed up because the game flows so nicely on the sliders - it’s just so easy, it’s not fun :(

My first season (the one i lost my save on) I had plenty of tough games Vs the CPU (top teams)
I haven't really played any top teams yet on my new save.
I'm ok beating shit teams but if it's too easy Vs them,it's ruining the game for sure.

My toughest game so far was Vs Kiev in the EL ,won 2-1 but they outshoot me

@rockstrongo @Chris Davies

Thank you mates very interesting. Love seeing other people’s systems and tactics.

Unfortunately, I’ve had a disappointing session. I won the Euro Cup without breaking a sweat. Then my first two matches away at Man Utd I win 3-0, home to Wolves I win 2-0. In both matches the CPU had just 1 attempt on target, they simply don’t attack me.

What am I doing so different? I’m on Ultimate, Chris’s sliders set B. Set to slow.

Because I use default assists maybe? But how does that effect the CPU being aggressive in attack?

I have to try and not score in the both matches to keep the scores realistic. Leicester are a good side but it’s ridiculous how easy I’ve found my pre season and first two PL fixtures.

I’m really fed up because the game flows so nicely on the sliders - it’s just so easy, it’s not fun :(
Just out of interest, have you tried Legendary?

Back
Top Bottom