FIFA (All Versions) Career Mode Stories

This my Wigan team at the start of the season.

upload_2019-3-16_17-8-16.jpeg
upload_2019-3-16_17-9-37.jpeg

The first thing i noticed is the lack of LB’s but there are a couple of players that can fill in if need be.

Also my strikers are no spring chickens. I will play August games and post vids.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-16_17-8-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-16_17-8-41.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 2
I recall recently that we had this conversation about passing and me saying how it is fine on manual with 50 sliders. Well since the friendly Champions Trophy and starting the proper league games I have been experiencing exactly what you guys were saying. Simple passes not being hard enough or too hard. Suddenly my players are slow and are waiting for the ball to come to feet so then the opposition player nips in quickly. This is making me think about my passes because my confidence has completely gone.

Suddenly everything is in sludge, maybe I need to up my power bar again. Will take a break from it tonight after losing 3 on the spin.

Newcastle's pre-season has begun - starting with a 0-0 against Nottingham Forest (which was really frustrating, it just shows how poor we are overall) - and then a wonderful 2-0 win against Konyaspor.

I had a look at the heatmaps after the first game and noticed that my wingers and my strikers were most often in their own half (or at least the centre of the pitch) - so I made drastic changes for the Konyaspor game.

I changed all the "player instructions" to make sure that, on "normal", wingers would stay up and that Benteke would act as a lone target man.

Check out the way he glides into space between the defenders here, and then puts a little swerve on the shot (semi-shooting, it's swerve I intended but I didn't have to use the "finesse" button for).

Really lovely goal.

We've lost a lot of players in pre-season in an attempt to make Mike Ashley happy - Joselu has gone so we're down to three strikers now. It's going to be a tough one.

Had SPAL at home,a game I won quite easily.
Was up 2-0 last 10 min,when they pushed everything up front and I counter attacked in two more goals and making it 4-0 .

Next game a much tougher task
Atalanta at home
IMG_20190317_152107.jpg

This game was reality check for sure.
Started off by scoring in the 20th minute (Hiljemark) then I had a hard time breaking them down.
Every time a pushed a few men fw, they'd hit me hard with counter attacks.
My defense and GK were both lucky and very sharp keeping me from getting slaughtered.

79th minute and they got a penalty which I saved.
Last 10 minutes were all about hoofing it.
Great 1-0 win!

IMG_20190317_152234.jpg

I moved up to 2nd place which is insane,but I've been playing well lately,even got a game in hand,a win Vs Cagliari and I'm 1st!

But I'll face tougher opposition in both January and February so I guess I'll drop down to 4-5th soon enough!

Cagliari away.
Stiff,boring and hardly any chances,I got lucky and scored on a bad clearance from the CPU in 84th minute.
1-0.
One thing I've been forced to learn playing on ultimate difficulty (or legendary for that matter) is dribbling,there's almost impossible to pass wingers on pace alone.
And I'm loving it a bit to much at times...

Next up was Fiorentina at home.
They played very direct and were very sharp
Didn't stand a chance on their two goals.
And just when I had some momentum ,the ref punished me with a bad red card.
Rubbish decision (probably ordered by Juventus)
Needles to say I lost the game
2-0

Next up was Roma away.
Since I have two injuries and a suspension and a few players not in best form I had to play a reserve lineup.
Lost that game 4-0

Things are going downhill fast right now and having to face Milan twice (one cup one league game) will probably be a very tough test.
I got players back from injury and suspension so I'm going to put out my very best team for that cup game.

Still aiming for a top 5-7 place,and that's probably were my season will end up at
Currently 2nd place,3 points down to Juventus, 4 Up to Inter.

Cagliari away.
Stiff,boring and hardly any chances,I got lucky and scored on a bad clearance from the CPU in 84th minute.
1-0.
One thing I've been forced to learn playing on ultimate difficulty (or legendary for that matter) is dribbling,there's almost impossible to pass wingers on pace alone.
And I'm loving it a bit to much at times...

Next up was Fiorentina at home.
They played very direct and were very sharp
Didn't stand a chance on their two goals.
And just when I had some momentum ,the ref punished me with a bad red card.
Rubbish decision (probably ordered by Juventus)
Needles to say I lost the game
2-0

Next up was Roma away.
Since I have two injuries and a suspension and a few players not in best form I had to play a reserve lineup.
Lost that game 4-0

Things are going downhill fast right now and having to face Milan twice (one cup one league game) will probably be a very tough test.
I got players back from injury and suspension so I'm going to put out my very best team for that cup game.

Still aiming for a top 5-7 place,and that's probably were my season will end up at
Currently 2nd place,3 points down to Juventus, 4 Up to Inter.
Who says FIFA 19 is way too easy eh... (I was, a few months ago - thank God for patches and good sliders...)

I just went out of the pre-season tournament (as Newcastle) against Parma, was 1-0 up and dominating the game but turned off defensively for one moment, and a long-range daisy-cutter from the opposition flew in. Went to penalties and we had one saved and one hit the crossbar... Ah well.

After that, in the build-up to the start of the season, we've had bids I couldn't refuse for my first-choice (but ageing) LM (Atsu) and second-choice (but ageing) CB (Fernández). £18m together, but only £11m goes into the transfer kitty (thanks Mike), and I'm struggling to find good replacements that are younger.

Really enjoying it.

Who says FIFA 19 is way too easy eh... (I was, a few months ago - thank God for patches and good sliders...)

I just went out of the pre-season tournament (as Newcastle) against Parma, was 1-0 up and dominating the game but turned off defensively for one moment, and a long-range daisy-cutter from the opposition flew in. Went to penalties and we had one saved and one hit the crossbar... Ah well.

After that, in the build-up to the start of the season, we've had bids I couldn't refuse for my first-choice (but ageing) LM (Atsu) and second-choice (but ageing) CB (Fernández). £18m together, but only £11m goes into the transfer kitty (thanks Mike), and I'm struggling to find good replacements that are younger.

Really enjoying it.
That Ashley...
Sounds like your in for a tough season (again).
Any loan transfers you can bring in?
Having an aging squad is rough,often they'll end up injured or declining fast!

Yes,before I lowered my FT error and passing/shooting I was blowing away Milan 4-0 away and thinking "Its to easy" (even wrote it) not really the case right now...

But I'm glad i have to work really hard to pull off an upset Vs Roma/Milan/Inter/Juventus and it's not enough just putting up a once in a life time performance,you have to have luck as well, or you'll lose!
Same thing goes for crappier teams ,I'm glad I'm beating the one's I should beat

That Ashley...
Sounds like your in for a tough season (again).
Any loan transfers you can bring in?
Having an aging squad is rough,often they'll end up injured or declining fast!
Exactly right, it's great to have to really manage the squad - I wish fatigue was a bit higher, BUT saying that Bentaleb was on 15% at the end of the first game of my new season (2019/2020). You can increase acceleration to increase fatigue but it immediately makes EPL AI too fast.

Speaking of squad management... The squad is absolutely desolated now. Ashley wants us to finish in a Europa League place, but I've had offers for a few 28-to-32-year-old players I couldn't refuse. Including first-team players like the RB Yedlin (who was pretty good for us) to Crystal Palace.

In-fact, in the case of Yedlin, Hodgson offered £10m (£2m above his valuation), and I bluffed (hoping he'd refuse) by saying "give us £15m" and he snapped my hand off.

So now I'm frantically looking for a younger, first-team RB - and none of my scouts have been looking at RBs (because I wasn't expecting to need one)... And there's only a few weeks of transfer window left... GULP.

Here's the first-team squad:
hTWpOYA.jpg

And this is how bad our depth is now (youth-team wingers and youth CF not pictured):
UHjfldJ.jpg

Played the first game of the season away to Southampton and got hammered, 3-1 (our goal was a really flukey deflection we didn't deserve, too).

I think, if anything, this is going to be a worse season...

Exactly right, it's great to have to really manage the squad - I wish fatigue was a bit higher, BUT saying that Bentaleb was on 15% at the end of the first game of my new season (2019/2020). You can increase acceleration to increase fatigue but it immediately makes EPL AI too fast.

Speaking of squad management... The squad is absolutely desolated now. Ashley wants us to finish in a Europa League place, but I've had offers for a few 28-to-32-year-old players I couldn't refuse. Including first-team players like the RB Yedlin (who was pretty good for us) to Crystal Palace.

In-fact, in the case of Yedlin, Hodgson offered £10m (£2m above his valuation), and I bluffed (hoping he'd refuse) by saying "give us £15m" and he snapped my hand off.

So now I'm frantically looking for a younger, first-team RB - and none of my scouts have been looking at RBs (because I wasn't expecting to need one)... And there's only a few weeks of transfer window left... GULP.

Here's the first-team squad:
hTWpOYA.jpg

And this is how bad our depth is now (youth-team wingers and youth CF not pictured):
UHjfldJ.jpg

Played the first game of the season away to Southampton and got hammered, 3-1 (our goal was a really flukey deflection we didn't deserve, too).

I think, if anything, this is going to be a worse season...
Even "shit im getting sacked and we're going down" bad?

i have Woodman in special training right now! i want him to become number one! :)
when he's in the low 70s ill bring him on in matches against lower league teams... at least that the plan!
gave a few player away on loan (young guns i want to evolve). not buying a lot but currently scouting in germany for promising (young) CB's, and some wingers.
any tipps on that scouting system!?

Even "shit im getting sacked and we're going down" bad?
Yeah, just played at lunch and got beat 1-0 at home to Leicester, but it should have been more. They had 12 shots on target to my 2 - passing the ball around was horrible, it felt like a waterlogged pitch (yet it was a clear day). I nearly altered the sliders but I thought to myself, it's not the sliders - it's the players.

I'm pushing the ball out wide all the time and they're too slow and cumbersome, and poor at short passing, to get us progressing up the pitch. Without 2-3 big signings, we're in trouble.

i have Woodman in special training right now! i want him to become number one! :)
when he's in the low 70s ill bring him on in matches against lower league teams... at least that the plan!
I exclusively use the training slots for youth players that come through the youth squad (i.e. regens, not real-life youth players) because they tend to have the fastest growth rates, and I feel like the training sessions are wasted on anyone without that special attribute!

Also, I have to say, training is one of the worst/silliest parts of the career mode for me - why can it only be five players? Let me train the whole squad in preparation for the next game, e.g. work on short passing as a team one week, work on defending as a unit the next, perhaps even for slight, temporary attribute boosts.

any tipps on that scouting system!?
I don't use the "promising players" scouting option any more - I think that's usually the default scouting pool that's set up when you start? Because if you start a youth academy (which is always a big chairman priority in my experience), if you invest in a 4*+ youth scout, you'll get players with big potential through that, in every position. So there's no point in it.

I set up all six scouting "slots" to six distinct positions I think are the weakest in the squad, even if they're not THAT bad, just so that if I ever get a surprise bid for a player who's approaching 30-years-old+, I can accept it and replace them quickly.

Otherwise, you have to wait two weeks for your scouts to find anyone - and you can be left without a good enough player in that position for several matches.

I usually set the scouting options to "first team quality" (which means they'll be around the level of your current players, and therefore affordable), and then I pick ONE important attribute extra - any more than that and you will barely find anyone. So, for example, for wing-backs and wingers I pick "pinpoint crossing".

Milan away last 16 Coppa Italia.
Played really well,got ahead 1-0 after 25 min.
Was able to keep that score,even though they pressed me hard and played some great football,Al the way to the dying seconds of the first half.
Shot outside the box 1-1.

Second half I got some momentum and piled up a few chances and things looked good,until my mf Bessa went up on a crossball Vs GK Donnarumma and got his second yellow card,the softest 2nd yellow I've seen,yet again refeeres being the decider!

Game ended 1-1
Extra time wasn't that spectacular,kept a low line defended for my life,had a great chance mid second period,header hitting the crossbar from a corner.
Ended scoreless.

Penalty shootout.
I took a few bad ones ,so did Milan but the decider was Hiljemarks soft penalty easily saved by Donnarumma.
So knocked out of the cup,even though I played really well.

Next game is Milan again,at home match day 20.

Penalty shootout.
I took a few bad ones ,so did Milan but the decider was Hiljemarks soft penalty easily saved by Donnarumma.
So knocked out of the cup,even though I played really well.
When we were knocked out of the pre-season cup, it was because I decided to hit a panenka down the middle, and the keeper literally just stood still and caught it. Has that ever happened in real-life*?! (Bastard...)

*Can't wait until it does...

When we were knocked out of the pre-season cup, it was because I decided to hit a panenka down the middle, and the keeper literally just stood still and caught it. Has that ever happened in real-life*?! (Bastard...)

*Can't wait until it does...
The Tin foil hat in me feels there's a conspiracy (the fucking GK seeing where I am aiming)

Happened multiple times in real life.
But I get you @Chris Davies! In a video game i have to think „wtf, you must be cheating me“ instantly (when you actually try it every 73rd full moon)!! :D
Brings back nice memories when me and my childhood buddy‘s sat down on front of my ps2 and fooled the hell out of us from the pen spot!
Local Couch Multiplayer... where have you gone?! :CRY:

Milan (again) at home.
I wasn't going to lose this one.
Needed a win pretty badly after 3-4 bad games lately.

I went out and played pretty much all out attacking,pinned Milan down properly the first 20-30 min of the game.
1-0 in the 5th minute
2-0 in the 25 minute (Sturaro who usually can't hit the inside of a barn curled in a beauty)
3-0 (getting insane) in the 35th minute

I thought it may be a smooth ride to an easy victory,so I started to get nonchalant,and they punished me right away,a stupid clearance made it 3-1 late first half.

Matters got worse when I made a stupid sideways pass (thanks slow pass speed) pretty much at the opening of the 2nd half.
3-2 with 40 minutes to go.

I went to plan B,back down,play safe an counter.
I got a chance in the 55th minute from the wing and played it to an oncoming fw & banged home 4-2!

Case pretty much closed after that ,saw the game out.
Almost had a goal of the season contender right at the end.
Great win
Empoli away us next!

Man, i wish a had matches with 4 goals.
Made the last 8 by penalties in the carabao. That’s the only match when I got more goals. :)
I need to shoot more. Less than 10 per match is not enough.
Playing a new formation now. 4222. And much more offensive. But hey... need to get used to it first.

And btw: manual is really not always manual. Sadly. I get that now.

I need to shoot more. Less than 10 per match is not enough.
Playing a new formation now. 4222. And much more offensive. But hey... need to get used to it first.
I think I shoot around 15-20 per game,pretty everything inside the box I try to finish first time.
But then again,I'm on Semi,not manual shooting,even though with the high FTE I sometimes miss by 20 meter.
Keep going pal

2019/2020 goes from bad to worse for (Chris's) Newcastle. (Don't know how you're getting on, @PRO_TOO! :D)

As I posted earlier, we're losing players left right and centre to try and satisfy Mike's money lust, but ALSO, I'm accepting the offers for players aged 28+ to try and give us a younger base squad and give us some hope for the future. If I last that long.

Well, a ridiculous offer was made for Dubravka, my OVR 80 goalkeeper. Once again, I didn't really want to accept it (even though it was £14m, well over his value), so I said "give me £18m" thinking that it would put them (Brighton) off. Of course, it didn't - and Mike gives me about 60% of this towards the transfer kitty, though he's also asked that I leave at least £20m of it untouched.

There are now three days left to the transfer window. I've got an £80m transfer budget, and after ALSO selling Muto (who was playing as a CF and wasn't very good in that role to be honest) and Gayle (same), I desperately need a first-team GK, RB, CAM and ST.

I've really messed this up - but then, this is realistically the only way to meet Mike's demands.

Now... After Dubravka left, I got this message. Have you seen anything like this before? (I've had messages that say "there's a cup game coming up, please give me a chance" - but never one that says this...)

69fudLL.jpg

So before I replaced Dubravka, I gave Woodman a chance. It was a couple of weeks before where we are now, so I played him in a league game against Chelsea - which against all the odds we drew after playing on all-out defence from the first minute (our first point of the season)... and he was brilliant.

He's definitely got a boost of some sort - or so I thought. Our next game was a cup game against Exeter, which we were winning 2-0 at half time, and drawing 2-2 at full time because of a free kick that the keeper punched into the net, and a really poor keeper mistake in the 89th minute...

Thanks for trying Freddie, but no, we're getting in a professional...

Currently 16th in the table after three games with the worst team we've had since I took over. The fans are (or should be) baying for blood...

:D lovely story! it was a good read!
Woodman!!!! :ROCK: but im still sticking with Dubravka (the young lad needs more training session).
he's pretty good atm. not one goal in the season so far i can blame him for.

i'm currently scouting in 4 different countries. and as you adviced... i had a look at the assignments/orders! totally renewed all that. now i'm looking for young CB's and LM's.

can it be, that after only some like 10 games... the players i played most of the time get waaay better!? all of them have possitive form arrows too. do i need to rotate more!? i usually bring 2-3 subs by the end of the match... but thats it. sometimes replacing one or 2 positions before match start because i want to try something... but most of the time my core team is set.

can it be, that after only some like 10 games... the players i played most of the time get waaay better!? all of them have possitive form arrows too. do i need to rotate more!? i usually bring 2-3 subs by the end of the match... but thats it. sometimes replacing one or 2 positions before match start because i want to try something... but most of the time my core team is set.
Form is another broken element - no matter what I do, my players seem to get positive form arrows... BUT that being said, I found they were disappearing after 10-20 games and did start turning down as the season took a turn for the worse.

But yes, to keep the form arrows up, you can keep swapping around with younger players and this will give their attributes a boost too, which helps with the training. I find that (excluding when you're in Europe) you rarely have to rotate your squad for fitness reasons (my CBs have played every game since I started, I think) - BUT if you want your youth players to develop... You really need to play them...

Form is another broken element - no matter what I do, my players seem to get positive form arrows... BUT that being said, I found they were disappearing after 10-20 games and did start turning down as the season took a turn for the worse.

But yes, to keep the form arrows up, you can keep swapping around with younger players and this will give their attributes a boost too, which helps with the training. I find that (excluding when you're in Europe) you rarely have to rotate your squad for fitness reasons (my CBs have played every game since I started, I think) - BUT if you want your youth players to develop... You really need to play them...

yeah, i found that too. their stamina bar goes down a little of like 30-40 percent and when the next match is on, its 90% full again. looks like i'm never really forced to replace them for the beginning of a match. hm.
and when i do, because i want the stamina bar to be full when the match starts... all the replacements are worse then the "starting 11". and by worse i mean like 55-69 instead of 77-80. thats some.

but there is not much to moan about so far. spent some serious time last nights to dig deeper into tactics. i'm busy atm! :)
only thing that bugs me a little is the "manual" long/high passes that are not manual! ground passes dont seem to suffer from this (or at least not much), but high balls do. had it a couple of times last night and i dont want to get used to it. you stay on the wing and press a milli second and the ball goes perfectly to the striker at the far away end of the pen area! na... dont like that automatic take over stuff by the computer! ITS NOT MANUAL!! ;)
:D

Last edited:
Okay - I spent literally a (lunch) hour trying to sort out the Newcastle 2019/2020 transfer crisis...

There are barely any original first-team squad members left, now. Through the August transfer window I've been absolutely bombarded with offers - the latest being Sung-yeung - and even though I only get 60% of the transfer fee back to spend, what I planned to do is pool the money and sacrifice quantity for quality.

In other words - we have absolutely no squad depth now, with the subs/reserves being about 70% youth team players. But my logic was - if we get to the Europa League next season... Then I'll worry about depth. (Just got to avoid injuries this season...)

However. This is the squad I've somehow managed to put together:

It1VlGE.jpg

A really strong spine and sort-of-okay wings, I think...

Just three original players in the starting eleven... Lejeune, Lascelles and Shelvey - all of whom I had offers for! (I got offered over £20m for Lascelles but I really can't afford to lose either centre-back.)

Total cost (for Casteels, Montoya, João Mário and Haller): £90m.

I spent all of it, and my manager score has absolutely plummeted. Mike is really annoyed, after he requested a £20m surplus come the end of the season. However, I'm hoping to sell another couple of players in the January transfer window...

The first post-transfer-window match is away to Everton - I'll tell you this much, if we lose, I think I might be heading towards getting fired...

Last edited:
Okay - I spent literally a (lunch) hour trying to sort out the Newcastle 2019/2020 transfer crisis...

There are barely any original first-team squad members left, now. Through the August transfer window I've been absolutely bombarded with offers - the latest being Sung-yeung - and even though I only get 60% of the transfer fee back to spend, what I planned to do is pool the money and sacrifice quantity for quality.

In other words - we have absolutely no squad depth now, with the subs/reserves being about 70% youth team players. But my logic was - if we get to the Europa League next season... Then I'll worry about depth. (Just got to avoid injuries this season...)

It1VlGE.jpg

Just three original players in the starting eleven...

I spent all of it, and my manager score has absolutely plummeted. Mike is really annoyed, after he requested a £20m surplus come the end of the season. However, I'm hoping to sell another couple of players in the January transfer window...

The first post-transfer-window match is away to Everton - I'll tell you this much, if we lose, I think I might be heading towards getting fired...
:)
What you wanna sell?! Only thing left is selling your PL license rights to Konami! ;)

Man, that’s some small team. I pray for your players not getting injured!

:)
What you wanna sell?! Only thing left is selling your PL license rights to Konami! ;)

Man, that’s some small team. I pray for your players not getting injured!
Excluding the seven subs, there are five more players, and all except Woodman are youth team players (and two of them are in positions I don't use in this formation, LW/RW)...

I have injury frequency/severity sliders quite high too, so I'm a bit worried... But I decided it was a risk I just had to take, my first two matches against Southampton and Leicester we were absolutely terrible.

But I haven't managed the transfers well at all, in reality. One or two of those players would have been a great addition, but I was too quick to sell Dubravka and Yedlin in-particular. I've had to pay WAY more than I got for them to buy their replacements, and their replacements are only a little bit better...

It1VlGE.jpg

Just three original players in the starting eleven... Lejeune, Lascelles and Shelvey - all of whom I had offers for! (I got offered over £20m for Lascelles but I really can't afford to lose either centre-back.)

Newcastle tabloids already have their headlines made.
"Chrisis at Newcastle "
"Sacking Chris is Da vise move"

Back
Top Bottom