FIFA (All Versions) Career Mode Stories

@Mikhail if you go with the tweaks on shooting/pass error you should have a tough difficulty very the CPU ,all depending on which team you're playing of course

@Chris Davies
Thanks ,at first I was gutted,but since restarting (and simming half a season) I really enjoy it again.
And I'm struggling
Just moved out of the relegation zone (21 games in)so it's a struggle

Mate, I'm absolutely gutted for you - I hate it when anything like that happens to me. At that point I usually lose all motivation to play. I hope that doesn't happen to you, I've been enjoying reading your stories!

Yeah, I play on Legendary (anything below is too easy) but if I use semi-passing, my pass accuracy is consistently below that of the worst teams I'll play. So I use assisted passing, with a bit of pass error, and that evens it out.

I use semi-shooting right now, but I keep talking about using assisted, because there are way too many easy chances I keep missing (which is fine when the AI does the same thing, but... read on).

With Legendary you find certain things are boosted for the AI far too strongly (I set their shot error to 50 the other day and they finished a game with 15 shots, 15 on target)... So I also "offset" a few things...

After running some experiments I've found that sprint speed and pass speed have a special relationship - I've always had sprint speed turned right down, and pass speed too, but actually I've found that in order for faster players to be able to break through defensive lines (which have to be pushed a little higher or otherwise I find defensive lines are way too "perfect"), they don't both have to be low (although pass speed does, in my personal opinion, in order to look more realistic and allow for a little more error in Legendary's passing game).

Traditionally speed has been turned down to allow for "more physicality" but the fact of the matter is, fouls don't exist in FIFA, and sliders cannot fix that (in-fact I've had just as many fouls when trying to speed away from a defender than being in close proximity to them), so I think in reality they should be ~40 (not blazing fast, but fast enough to surprise defenders).

For me, the reality is, acceleration is the key to everything that's "wrong" in FIFA, and yet we can't touch it. If you turn acceleration down just a single notch for the AI, they suddenly can't one-touch so much, nor hit things first-time all the time in silly scenarios. BUT you may find turning their acceleration down makes the game too easy again - and if you turn your own acceleration down (which feels great depending on your team), your players barely get fatigued any more.

But, please note... So much of this depends entirely on the teams involved.

I'm pretty happy with my current sliders, as Newcastle, on Legendary. I played one international game (as Romania, against Scotland) and it was absolutely horrible. I don't really know why, to be honest - but it's as if the game speed switched to "fast". Next game, as Newcastle, it was fine...

I keep wishing I could play on PC and use a mod that just slows everything down more than "slow" does. That would solve tons of problems for me.
Thanks Chris, you seem passionate about Career Mode so I will use your sliders and persevere with them.

Where can I find these? And is semi shooting too difficult? Would you recommend I use Ultimate seeing as I found it very easy before (although saying that I used default sliders and controls).

Thanks Chris, you seem passionate about Career Mode so I will use your sliders and persevere with them.

Where can I find these? And is semi shooting too difficult? Would you recommend I use Ultimate seeing as I found it very easy before (although saying that I used default sliders and controls).
It all comes down to the teams/players I'm sure of it, which is great on the one hand - teams are genuinely very different from each other, and @rockstrongo was saying the other day that there's a difference in "feel" between the EPL and Italy - but then on the other hand, the "scale" in gameplay is so wide that one match will feel great, and the next will feel alien.

If you play as Newcastle or similar, maybe Legendary and sliders (plus playing on "semi" if you're still bossing it) will be fine. If you play as Man United, you might be better on Ultimate, with no AI-boost-killing slider changes (I've got their acceleration on 49 currently) - but even then, it will probably be too easy!

My last set is available here - the current set I'm using isn't on there, I'll upload that later if you like. It's very similar, except pass speed is higher and there's the AI "boost-killers" I mentioned.

I was surprised how big difference there was s between leagues.
The day I screwed up my Genoa save I played two on it,and then two games as Burnley,Vs Southampton and Watford.
Much faster.
But that's a good thing (not that Southampton/Watford are OP) but having differences between gameplay in leagues

It all comes down to the teams/players I'm sure of it, which is great on the one hand - teams are genuinely very different from each other, and @rockstrongo was saying the other day that there's a difference in "feel" between the EPL and Italy - but then on the other hand, the "scale" in gameplay is so wide that one match will feel great, and the next will feel alien.

If you play as Newcastle or similar, maybe Legendary and sliders (plus playing on "semi" if you're still bossing it) will be fine. If you play as Man United, you might be better on Ultimate, with no AI-boost-killing slider changes (I've got their acceleration on 49 currently) - but even then, it will probably be too easy!

My last set is available here - the current set I'm using isn't on there, I'll upload that later if you like. It's very similar, except pass speed is higher and there's the AI "boost-killers" I mentioned.
Thanks again!

What's longest career you've had on FIFA ?

What's the longest t you've been att the same club?

Isn't time for fifa to update it's demands from the chairman?
Or just let us be coach/manager or/and boss?

Seems a bit weird having "build a youth squad and have a youth player play 50% of the games within 2 seasons " if you're playing as city (anyone remember their last youth player in the first team?)

Seems a bit weird having "build a youth squad and have a youth player play 50% of the games within 2 seasons " if you're playing as city (anyone remember their last youth player in the first team?)
Phil Foden? ;) Okay he's not a regular but he is becoming one... Sort of...

But yes, I can't imagine a chairman in real life being as specific as that - though I have read articles in FourFourTwo where chairman have given managers jobs with the proviso that they develop youth players (and Football Manager reflects this too).

It'd just be a lot more realistic if it said "give youth players X amount of appearances" as a whole, rather than one player... As always with FIFA they've got the kernel of a great idea (and something realistic) but then ballsed it up a bit in their execution...

And as for "sell £30m of player shirts"... Now THAT one is bullshit...

BUT, to be fair - have you tried to manage City and had that as an objective? Because having youth objectives at Newcastle and Burnley is part of the job in real-life, and I don't think you'd have that objective at City in the game. I may be wrong...!

Last edited:
Phil Foden? ;) Okay he's not a regular but he is becoming one... Sort of...

But yes, I can't imagine a chairman in real life being as specific as that - though I have read articles in FourFourTwo where chairman have given managers jobs with the proviso that they develop youth players (and Football Manager reflects this too).

It'd just be a lot more realistic if it said "give youth players X amount of appearances" as a whole, rather than one player... As always with FIFA they've got the kernel of a great idea (and something realistic) but then ballsed it up a bit in their execution...

And as for "sell £30m of player shirts"... Now THAT one is bullshit...

BUT, to be fair - have you tried to manage City and had that as an objective? Because having youth objectives at Newcastle and Burnley is part of the job in real-life, and I don't think you'd have that objective at City in the game. I may be wrong...!
DONT MAKE ME START A CITY CAREER!!!

@majuh I think BM has a good youth system,perhaps not that many in the 1 st team anymore

Last edited:
A handful of video clips from matches I've discussed in here recently! :D

Have to say, the variety in these moments is the reason I just can't go back to the other game again, even the best ones. You see some moments in this that you really don't expect and some you've never seen before - and that was exactly what made me fall in love with PES, never seeing the same thing twice, never playing the same match twice.

In 2020 coming into 2021, I've managed to draft into my first team a total of 5 Brazilian youth players.
From L to R: (Alvarez) CM/CAM with an eye for the pass and wonderfully two footed, (Anderson) CB who is good on the ball and has a fair bit of pace, (Silveira) keeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet and great reflexes, (Luiz) my favourite RB/CB who is so calm on the ball and almost never gets beaten one on one, also great crosser and super engine and lastly, (Cruz) my Thiago Silva, a CB with brilliant positioning and a leader at the back. By this time, I'm stopping all youth scouts from finding more players as I've got the core group ready to develop.

------------------Alisson-------------------------
Luiz-----Cruz--------------Van Dijk--Robertson
-----------------Fabinho-------------------------
-----------Keita----------Paqueta---------------
Salah------------Firmino------------------Mane

Untitled-1.jpg

Since starting over because I fucked up my save,I feel that the game plays differently.
Not saying it's because the patched it earlier this week.
Much more fast short passing,could be because I played a crappy Serie B team (cup game + a generic team)
But it felt really strange,I had to move FTE up to 85 (from 75) to calm it down

Replayed that game a few times to try and find balance,funny thing is I got destroyed 3-1 on LEG,but win easily on ULT with 3-1.
Same settings,same conditions.
Strange

Newcastle are on a great run of form out of nowhere - it seems like the 2-0 win against Arsenal, even though it was immediately followed by a defeat, has changed something!

We played Middlesbrough (which is a local derby), who came up from the Championship at the start of the season, and it was totally different from playing Leeds. Leeds put up a fight, but Middlesbrough couldn't - they tried to defend and counter but they only lasted 22 minutes before the first goal went in (posted in the FIFA 19 video thread).

After that, they had to push forward, and it finished 6-1 - the biggest win I've had so far!

That was followed by Brighton. They packed the defence, and when you're trying to break through eight men, it's so difficult - I find dribbling impossible, as you can probably see from the goals I upload... But on the 60 minute mark, after 18 passes around the edge of the area, Shelvey swapped with João Mário and ran through a corridor of space towards the penalty spot, Haller hit a low diagonal through-ball, and Shelvey tapped it into a corner away from the keeper. 1-0.

But what I love are these examples of games evolving over 90 minutes - because when that happened, Brighton immediately changed tack, and their full-backs became wing-backs and they started leaving holes everywhere. They came close a few times (the CBs can't cope with fast play) but they were getting tired, and ten minutes later I played a through-ball into a space left by the wing-backs to Onyekuru (a pacey young winger from Everton), who just ran, and ran, and hit the perfect cut-back to an unmarked Haller. 2-0.

There was no space for the first hour of the game - and by the end of the match, Brighton were pushing forward everywhere, but tiring themselves out, leaving huge gaps, and eventually we finished 3-0 winners (from another cut-back).

I'm having to work really hard to open these games up though, so I'm not (yet) worrying that it's getting too easy (especially considering that we're 11th in the table)...

Since starting over because I fucked up my save,I feel that the game plays differently.
Not saying it's because the patched it earlier this week.
Much more fast short passing,could be because I played a crappy Serie B team (cup game + a generic team)
But it felt really strange,I had to move FTE up to 85 (from 75) to calm it down
No changes from the patch for me mate, but I do find cup competitions and (especially) international matches can vary wildly from standard league gameplay.

Gutted you seem to have lost your mojo with it, hope you get back into the groove and post some more stories in here soon.

Newcastle are on a great run of form out of nowhere - it seems like the 2-0 win against Arsenal, even though it was immediately followed by a defeat, has changed something!

We played Middlesbrough (which is a local derby), who came up from the Championship at the start of the season, and it was totally different from playing Leeds. Leeds put up a fight, but Middlesbrough couldn't - they tried to defend and counter but they only lasted 22 minutes before the first goal went in (posted in the FIFA 19 video thread).

After that, they had to push forward, and it finished 6-1 - the biggest win I've had so far!

That was followed by Brighton. They packed the defence, and when you're trying to break through eight men, it's so difficult - I find dribbling impossible, as you can probably see from the goals I upload... But on the 60 minute mark, after 18 passes around the edge of the area, Shelvey swapped with João Mário and ran through a corridor of space towards the penalty spot, Haller hit a low diagonal through-ball, and Shelvey tapped it into a corner away from the keeper. 1-0.

But what I love are these examples of games evolving over 90 minutes - because when that happened, Brighton immediately changed tack, and their full-backs became wing-backs and they started leaving holes everywhere. They came close a few times (the CBs can't cope with fast play) but they were getting tired, and ten minutes later I played a through-ball into a space left by the wing-backs to Onyekuru (a pacey young winger from Everton), who just ran, and ran, and hit the perfect cut-back to an unmarked Haller. 2-0.

There was no space for the first hour of the game - and by the end of the match, Brighton were pushing forward everywhere, but tiring themselves out, leaving huge gaps, and eventually we finished 3-0 winners (from another cut-back).

I'm having to work really hard to open these games up though, so I'm not (yet) worrying that it's getting too easy (especially considering that we're 11th in the table)...

No changes from the patch for me mate, but I do find cup competitions and (especially) international matches can vary wildly from standard league gameplay.

Gutted you seem to have lost your mojo with it, hope you get back into the groove and post some more stories in here soon.
Thanks buddy,no I'm getting back up at it again,I've noticed my football interest goes down during international breaks,and me being shit having two games going at the same time.
Been racing a lot past 4-5 days.
(F1/Assetto Corsa/ project cars)
Getting some Fifa in later tonite

Weird but good game.
I have three different Genoa careers going,since my fuckup with the save earlier ,I restarted two different ones,one that I simmed through to January (where my original career got lost)
And one at the start of the season.

Obviously I started the one that was from the start (dooh) and had Milan away(to lazy to start the proper one)

Anyway game started and I got both 1 and 2-0 down before halftime.
Second half I switched from my 4-3-3 to a more offensive 3-5-2 and pushed my team up,got both 1-2 and 2-2 before the 75th mark.
Both those goals were very nice in their own way (video later gents)

But playing 3-5-2 makes your wings a bit vulnerable,and I should have switched back to a more defensive tactic ,in the 82nd minute Milan came down my right wing and crossed it in to the box for Piatek how headed in 3-2.
Absolutely gutted.
But pushed everything up and managed to score an equaliser before the 90 min mark.
Last 4 min minutes I switched to a ultra defensive 5-4-1 and saw the game out
Great point away.

Been experimenting with Ultimate thanks to you @rockstrongo - absolutely bizarre, the AI seems to pass around with more consideration (i.e. a little more slowly), or at least that appeared to be the case with the Premier League teams I was testing it against, but the pass accuracy is still way too high for me (all 90%+).

So far it seems like the AI approach things in a more realistic way - but I found it really difficult to get through their defensive line, and worse, both teams were just powering through the midfield like it wasn't there.

Interesting though... There's got to be some slider tweaks that'll help that...

Been experimenting with Ultimate thanks to you @rockstrongo - absolutely bizarre, the AI seems to pass around with more consideration (i.e. a little more slowly), or at least that appeared to be the case with the Premier League teams I was testing it against, but the pass accuracy is still way too high for me (all 90%+).

So far it seems like the AI approach things in a more realistic way - but I found it really difficult to get through their defensive line, and worse, both teams were just powering through the midfield like it wasn't there.

Interesting though... There's got to be some slider tweaks that'll help that...
Yes.
I bumped up my FT error to 95 again and shooting for the AI at 65.
And even though they can be very clinical in front of goal,I feel that ULT plays more human like,making strange errors at times.

When I restarted my career after the "save gate" I played one cup game on my new save (not the one I simmed to January) and I described my game a few posts back wondering if the patch had change anything,even replayed it a few times.
But the issue I had,wasn't due to a patch,it was my slider setup that I had lowered (FTE/shooting/passing) and most importantly,I played it on LEG!

The lowered slider values and Leg made the game tough as hell,I mean,almost impossible!
So now that I'm back on ULT again,raised values,it's tough,but plays very good,a bit pingy,but that's how this game is.
Milan had 87% passing,and playing 15 minutes games I rarely get over 90% from the CPU,more 80-85.

I remember being critical on FIFA's pass percentage in the past (still think it's way to high) but everytime I see a stat overlay in the game "passing 100/91 %" or "shooting 7-1" i pause the game and have a look at match statistics and they are never the same as game overlay.

Regarding difficulty,I also like SS better than TP on PES.
Harder,but more life-like.
But thats me.

Don't know if it'll help you guys, but from my experience, the only way to lower passing % (user and CPU), is to increase the Pass Error slider, even dramatically if necessary -- of course, doing that will cause other annoying issues (crosses going haywire, etc)

Cheers :))

Don't know if it'll help you guys, but from my experience, the only way to lower passing % (user and CPU), is to increase the Pass Error slider, even dramatically if necessary -- of course, doing that will cause other annoying issues (crosses going haywire, etc)

Cheers :))
You're right,I feel that going over 70 and crossing is all over the place,if you have a high first touch error.
I don't really see any way of making passing %lower.
High first touch error takes away frenzy short passing,but not the high pass percentage.

Didn't Fifa 18 have lower pass percentage?,at least that's how I remember it!

@Chris Davies
Fucking hell!
Hardly played that game,I think the magnetic defending killed it for me.
That's horrible numbers.
Must have it confused with 17.
16 was also pretty bad in that department

@Chris Davies
Fucking hell!
Hardly played that game,I think the magnetic defending killed it for me.
That's horrible numbers.
Must have it confused with 17.
16 was also pretty bad in that department
16 is indeed

Now I have passing % under 85-80, but I had to:
  • Lower Short Passing attribute proportionally
  • Lower Vision attribute exponentially
  • Increase Pass Error slider
Sorry for the OT :))

For those interested, I've just posted a (very short) highlights video from my last game, Manchester United (AI) v Newcastle (Me), over in the video thread.

I'm slightly concerned that Ultimate is too easy, and that, weirdly, I might have to stick to Legendary (which I struggle on) - but I'll keep working with the sliders!

That being said, we lost 1-0 to Tottenham away from home before this game - and in this match, United were playing a load of kids (which I guess you might do against a bottom-half team) - so I'm sure it'll be fine...

Either way, it was the best game I've played over my two-season reign, and only the second time we've beat a team in the top four (both coming this season after strengthening over the summer).

Back
Top Bottom