FIFA 12 Demo impressions

Played a couple games so far...felt really good right off the bat, definitely more weighted in terms of passes and shots. In past FIFA games I use the jockey more than autopress cos I always find the "manual" way of pressing more effective so I haven't found the new tactical defending feature affecting me much. But I'm struggling a bit with the secondary contain. Fortunately though AI has showed a bit of improvement in defense like better tracked runs so I don't have to fiddle with secondary press all the time. My only concern is those triggered runs that occur when you initiate a one-two pass and the player would run non-stop all the way up. It exists in FIFA11 and it's still there in the demo. But it's even worse now because there were instances where the CPU triggers it for me! I didn't even initiate a one-two here lolwtf: http://youtu.be/Ib-y9y_7scw?hd=1

In cases where I DO initiate a one-two pass, they'll actually stop running up the field if I quickly initiate another. Which isn't really a solution. I suppose I could dial back on the player runs with that Run Frequency slider in the final game...

I just tried the demo...this game is PERFECT

I respect your opinion but ... no. This is the kind of thing that stops games from progressing. You're saying you can't see anything in the demo that you think needs improving? Everything is exactly how it should be and the best it could be?

It's those comments that EA and Konami love, it means they don't have to keep working hard when they get praise like that.

It stands off quite a bit now, compared to last year where they charged in straight away. Very hard to break down, but that might be due to your players not getting into space.

But the CPU AI is better than it was.

Incidently, I saw someone slating PES for overhead kicks happening too often. I crossed the ball into the box, none of my players anywhere near it though and CPU had plenty of time ... but did this ridiculous overhead kick with a ton of power in it, right to the halfway line. Looked very silly.

I'm looking forward to getting back later this afternoon and giving it another go as I reckon it's one that'll grow on you the more you play it. But it's got flaws which I'm not sure are just because it's a new game.
That was probably me and my issue was my players attempting to shoot with a overhead kick from 40+ yards on several occasions, nothing to do with clearing the ball in my case

Getting a bit more of a slating now on the EA boards. Saying that, I never know what to believe on there as it's quite clear that a lot of the users are basically trolling.

Meh.

Getting a bit more of a slating now on the EA boards. Saying that, I never know what to believe on there as it's quite clear that a lot of the users are basically trolling.

Meh.

Official forums are usually full of 13 year old kids. Stay clear!

Well posting your impressions after two or three games is generally a bit pointless anyway - people will inevitably take several hours of play and some thinking time to come to anything even resembling a solid opinion.

Played 2 games before heading out (nearly missed my meeting because of it lol) but the gamespeed seems pretty nice.

EA will speed it up tho in the actual game (or the first patch)

Played as City and got beat by Barca twice, Villa scored a lovely half volley from the edge of the box.

Planned to watch the QPR Newcastle match later, how nice of the Fifa demo to ruin the score for me, what exactly is the fucking point of having a ticker spoiling real match scores in a demo? Just because they can? That shit better be configurable in the full game.

Does the CPU *dun dun durrr* never pass backwards? I know that was an annoyance for a lot of folk.

Also, I've never actually seen this answered anywhere, but do we have more than 2 people competing for a ball in the air, now, for F12?

Barca were passing backwards against me. They actually played quite alot like Barca do in RL. Tho that may be just how all teams play in FIFA 12. Only played 2 games

Planned to watch the QPR Newcastle match later, how nice of the Fifa demo to ruin the score for me, what exactly is the fucking point of having a ticker spoiling real match scores in a demo? Just because they can? That shit better be configurable in the full game.

Haha, can't believe they've still got that in.

Barca were passing backwards against me. They actually played quite alot like Barca do in RL. Tho that may be just how all teams play in FIFA 12. Only played 2 games

So, I can imagine playing them could be quite frustrating as far as getting the ball back is concerned :COOL:

I hear people talk about how defending controls are different and so like A (in xbox) is no longer the conservative tackle etc.

But can you not configure your controls in the demo like you can in full game?

I always played different buttons than classic anyway... I don't have demo yet... can I change my buttons to do what I want them to do (Configure controls) or is that option not in the demo!? That would suck!

amazing fifa 12 demo. the game is much, much better than fifa 11!

finally WE HAVE HANDBALL in one football game! thubms up ea!

can't wait the full version.

Overall, I really like the demo A LOT. There've been some massive changes introduced which I really didn't see coming after the previews and interviews, especially the completely revamped defending. This will probably be the toughest detail to master for me, spamming the A button/now X won't do shit any longer. It's all about the right timing now.

The speed of the game also seems fine to me. As most of you, I got used to playing on Slow, but Normal feels pretty realistic in this demo. Same goes to the slighty improved weight of the ball.

I'm still unsure what to make of the Impact Engine, though. There are moments where it really, really shines and improves the atmosphere by a whole lot, but on the other hand, I already conceded and gave away way too many penalties because of it. Here's hoping they're somehow able to nail it, otherwise it could turn out to break more things than it originally intended to improve.

Still, as I said, my overall feelings are very, very positive. It feels completely different compared to FIFA 10 and 11, which I would consider to be a very good thing in terms of making the game better/more strategic. The major thing left they really need to sort out next year should be the AI. Doesn't seem they've put too much effort into improving the awareness of the players.

Anyway, can't wait for the full version to arrive now. So far, I'm a happy camper.

So, I can imagine playing them could be quite frustrating as far as getting the ball back is concerned :COOL:

Yes, esp. when I didn't go through the tac;ling tutorial :BOP:

Anyone else not get very good performance on PC btw? My PC seems to struggle a bit even with v sync off

You can change the buttons, mate. No worries :)

Awesome! :)

And even though I haven't even played the demo yet I'm really excited about the new way ('Art of Defending'.) because I pretty much always defended like that anyway, using the joggle thing and then timing a tackle to perfection.

For me there has always been and as in real life, should be an ART to defending... but unfortunately up until now it's been an area where most people could ignore and just get away with... sounds like that can be no more and people actually need to learn about defending now and master that!

Really excited about that!

Back
Top Bottom