FIFA 12 Demo impressions

Judging by the videos Impact engine seems a bit rough, but I still like it. Give them a couple of years and it will be more polished. I love unpredictability, so stuff like this is good in my eyes. Hopefully they can make the gameplay feel more unpredictable too, like less feeling of scripted keepers, 1-on-1 headers, perfect touches and so on.

Argh im not feeling this!

I feel slightly underwhelmed. The first thing that is grating me is that even on slow the game is fast. Now i dont know if thats to do with with playing fifa 11 recently but it feels too end to end. Also the players are too responsive now. I liked teh fact that things were slightly sluggish made it more of a battle. You get the feeling that if you master it you could dribble through players a lot.

Its not clicked for me yet. Last year Fifa 11 blew me a way, today...im not feeling it. Very worrying that.

Keepers still untouchable

do you mean you cant challenge or score past them, Either way its not right. Ive seen my keeper come for a high ball and loose out to a player.

If you mean score Ive scored a few goals on manual now and its a sense of achievement

Urgh just tried the demo, feels almost identical to FIFA11 to me. Players glide everywhere at full sprint with no sense of momentum, it's physically impossible for real people to turn as quickly as they do in this game.

Less AI pressure until you reach a certain part of the way up the pitch, then it's another case of "attack of the 100% inch perfect AI standing stab tackle" syndrome from the previous game. Really stupid. Game looks very nice though.

CPU hasn't scored with its foot yet, always from headers. Seems very reluctant to take shots and seems to only want to shoot in the area or cross from the byline after cutting back the players run.

Also have to agree with the momentum and inertia, players are able to stop and spin around without a care in the world. Quite annoying that the defending system has changed to tactical defending so you expect a player to be in a certain place and time your tackle but then the CPU pulls off this gravity-defying spin with the ball so quickly that even Messi would be amazed.

Speaking of Messi, I've actually seen Seedorf do more tricks than Messi. Odd.

Yeah, all the problems from FIFA11 seem to be creeping into the game after just a couple of minutes play.

In fact, one other thing that pissed me off about FIFA11 was that almost 100% of AI goals scored against me were from crosses and headers. Two goals conceded in the demo, two headers identical to the ones I used to concede in FIFA11. It's barely any different. Skill moves seem randomly performed by any old player, whether Messi or Pique, it constantly tries to cross and head the ball, and like I said in my last comment, the super fast player movement makes the game quicker than it should be. When the AI gets the ball, it plays passing moves at super fast speed, which looks silly to me.

Overall, I really like the demo A LOT. There've been some massive changes introduced which I really didn't see coming after the previews and interviews, especially the completely revamped defending. This will probably be the toughest detail to master for me, spamming the A button/now X won't do shit any longer. It's all about the right timing now.

The speed of the game also seems fine to me. As most of you, I got used to playing on Slow, but Normal feels pretty realistic in this demo. Same goes to the slighty improved weight of the ball.

I'm still unsure what to make of the Impact Engine, though. There are moments where it really, really shines and improves the atmosphere by a whole lot, but on the other hand, I already conceded and gave away way too many penalties because of it. Here's hoping they're somehow able to nail it, otherwise it could turn out to break more things than it originally intended to improve.

Still, as I said, my overall feelings are very, very positive. It feels completely different compared to FIFA 10 and 11, which I would consider to be a very good thing in terms of making the game better/more strategic. The major thing left they really need to sort out next year should be the AI. Doesn't seem they've put too much effort into improving the awareness of the players.

Anyway, can't wait for the full version to arrive now. So far, I'm a happy camper.

Get the hell out of my brain Tom! :D
Well said and saves me time to type it out, off to play some more...

do you mean you cant challenge or score past them, Either way its not right. Ive seen my keeper come for a high ball and loose out to a player.

If you mean score Ive scored a few goals on manual now and its a sense of achievement

Keeper has won every catch when matched v a player.

Yeah, all the problems from FIFA11 seem to be creeping into the game after just a couple of minutes play.

In fact, one other thing that pissed me off about FIFA11 was that almost 100% of AI goals scored against me were from crosses and headers. Two goals conceded in the demo, two headers identical to the ones I used to concede in FIFA11. It's barely any different. Skill moves seem randomly performed by any old player, whether Messi or Pique, it constantly tries to cross and head the ball, and like I said in my last comment, the super fast player movement makes the game quicker than it should be. When the AI gets the ball, it plays passing moves at super fast speed, which looks silly to me.

Did you download the FIFA11 demo by mistake? Seriously clueless with what you are saying as I don't experience this myself. Maybe you should read the following to get the best out of the demo. http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/the-fsb-guide-to-the-fifa-12-demo/

Did you download the FIFA11 demo by mistake? Seriously clueless with what you are saying as I don't experience this myself. Maybe you should read the following to get the best out of the demo. http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/the-fsb-guide-to-the-fifa-12-demo/

Couldnt agree more... AI hasnt score a single header on me and they dont try it like in fifa11(all the match)...

Also they scored a really nice goal on me with Messi, he finnished just like in real life with a little chip over the falling gk.. looked amazingly real!

I prefer this new type of defending. I have always tried to defend this way in previous versions anyway just a change of buttons and actually more defending options now. Can do pretty well against Barcelona on world class

My only concern is that you can change this defending option to legacy so it plays like old versions, which if this is possible online or is somehow defaulted to the legacy on official release then I don't hold much hope.

If it remains like this way of defending then it plays more like proper football.

Oh and shooting is much better on manual.

Last edited:
I prefer this new type of defending. I have always tried to defend this way in previous versions anyway just a change of buttons and actually more defending options now. Can do pretty well against Barcelona on world class

My only concern is that you can change this defending option to legacy so it plays like old versions, which if this is possible online or is somehow defaulted to the legacy on official release then I don't hold much hope.

If it remains like that way if defending then it plays more like proper football.

I think i heard that tatical defending will be the only option in ranked macthes and in that FIWC mode?

Also, i tested legacy defending earlier, evan though its the old method(fifa11) it definatly feels toned down and more manual(harder), also the 2nd defender is less agressive, so the pressure in the game is not that much affected by it... summing up, its not like u go back to fifa11 becasue of it, still feels improved...

Last edited:

If it remains like that way if defending then it plays more like proper football.

EA allready confirmed that Tactical defending will be the ONLY setting for online ranked games. Only for offline or online friendly games people can switch the setting to Legacy defending. ;)

Really enjoyable game in it's own right actually, from what little I've played of it. Seemed to enjoy it more on the Xbox than when I played it on the PC, but I don't believe their is any technical differences right?

Loved the pace of the game.

Oh my. I absoloutely hate it. HATE IT.

What have they done?

Ive just left the cpu and let go of the controller, the cpu just runs around dribbling everywhere. Its like they have no weight to the players, they can all turn on a sixpence, whilst your clodding defenders look slow.

I havent seen one shot from outside of the box, every attack is via the wings and walking the ball into the net even with dortmund.

The ball physics are off. At least in 11 the bloody ball bounced! You could float over a cross now it just feels like a marble.

Devastated. Thats the only word i can give currently. maybe im tired. I hope im tired. But im not impressed.

And di they make the pitch smaller or what? its like a game of fecking basketball.

What's the function of L2 or L2+R2 when I am dribbling the ball? I find no use for them except for slowing me down!

I'm sorry but how can you not see those problems? Okay maybe not the conceding goals from headers, but the other stuff. The precision dribble virtually makes your player come to a complete stop, which is good for creating space but useless for dribbling past players because it's too slow and the AI does that fucking ridiculous stab tackle animation 99.9% of the time.

I've also noticed the AI doesn't do precision dribbling at all. It just does that fast dribble, chopping and changing sudden direction with the inside/outside of the foot that defies gravity. Just a handful of games in and it's driving me up the wall already! Players cannot move like this in real life, yet there is the AI chopping direction constantly at stupid speed.

It all moves too fast. I find myself deliberately trying to slow the game down when I get the ball to make it feel more realistic, which in turn plays into the AI's hands as it can easily regroup thanks to the constant off the ball sprinting the AI does.

I'm sorry but how can you not see those problems? Okay maybe not the conceding goals from headers, but the other stuff. The precision dribble virtually makes your player come to a complete stop, which is good for creating space but useless for dribbling past players because it's too slow and the AI does that fucking ridiculous stab tackle animation 99.9% of the time.

I've also noticed the AI doesn't do precision dribbling at all. It just does that fast dribble, chopping and changing sudden direction with the inside/outside of the foot that defies gravity. Just a handful of games in and it's driving me up the wall already! Players cannot move like this in real life, yet there is the AI chopping direction constantly at stupid speed.

It all moves too fast. I find myself deliberately trying to slow the game down when I get the ball to make it feel more realistic, which in turn plays into the AI's hands as it can easily regroup thanks to the constant off the ball sprinting the AI does.

Stop crying for the perfect game, it's a VIDEOGAME, enjoy it! If you want real football play it on a field.

Oh my. I absoloutely hate it. HATE IT.

What have they done?

Ive just left the cpu and let go of the controller, the cpu just runs around dribbling everywhere. Its like they have no weight to the players, they can all turn on a sixpence, whilst your clodding defenders look slow.

I havent seen one shot from outside of the box, every attack is via the wings and walking the ball into the net even with dortmund.

The ball physics are off. At least in 11 the bloody ball bounced! You could float over a cross now it just feels like a marble.

Devastated. Thats the only word i can give currently. maybe im tired. I hope im tired. But im not impressed.

And di they make the pitch smaller or what? its like a game of fecking basketball.

This. The AI dribbles in circles to keep the ball, it looks stupid. It turns in gravity defying angles, but once it stops doing this you can use the x button to 'pull back' the player when catching up, but the incessant 'chopping' on the ball when changing direction infuriates me. Why can't the AI just use the skills it puts at our disposal? It's almost as if it's taking the piss out of itself, giving us these tools to use then showing that thanks to the crazy physics you don't actually need to use them to win, as demonstrated by the AI.

I feel it plays more end to end like basketball too. Really odd. I've played on World Class and no shots from outside the area yet again, it's again through passes and crosses that dominate their attacks. The AI did seem a lot better at first, and then a few games in, and I got more competent at it, it's back to being like FIFA11 where I have about 70% of the ball all game and get hit on the break by the AI.

On the plus side, I love the presentation, new camera angle, and the graphics are surprisingly nice. Lovely lighting. But so far the AI plays like an absolute dog.

Stop crying for the perfect game, it's a VIDEOGAME, enjoy it! If you want real football play it on a field.

I'm not crying for a perfect game, just one that at least plays a little bit like actual football and obeys the laws of physics in some kind of way. Not to much to ask, is it?

game is stuttering like hell and is unplayable for me -.-"

dual core 2,4ghz @ 3,2ghz
4gb ram
ati hd5770

tried to set the priority to high / low, tried different graphic settings, tried to create that ini file with sleep=16 whatever.

Finally giving up and must admit: ea sucks bad ass! ò_ó

Same for me. Try playing it in windowed mode - fixed it for me. Unacceptable I know but it's at least playable that way.

I have to say I agree with some of what LTFC says. As I previously stated in my other posts, lack inertia of works against tactical defending, thus giving the attackers much advantage to toy with the defender.

The game is also fast. Too fast. Even on slow if feels slightly fast but that can be an outcome of lack of exsistance of inertia. I'm talking about players changing directions constantly without their momentum getting in their way.

Last edited:
Exactly. The pace of the ball etc is spot on, but the players' speed is out of kilter with the ball physics. It's plain odd.

tried pc version. runs great. feels great. defintely a better game then that piss poor fifa 11. loving it.

now i need to decide. pc or console version. i need to join a club!

after playing it a lot today i have only 3 complaints/issues:

1) playing against CPU is too easy;

2) CPU players hit too many posts on clear goal chances;

edit: 3) pitch is too narrow on tele and co-op camera (same issue like in fifa 11 pc).

Last edited:
Exactly. The pace of the ball etc is spot on, but the players' speed is out of kilter with the ball physics. It's plain odd.

I just think the boys at EA are too much of a pussy to add inertia to the game. I mean FIFA has always been the pick up and play game with people doing skill moves and other eyecandy stuff and has generally been concentrating more on attacking than defending. The moment they add inertia to the game half of their fans will go berserk. I'm talking about all the 12 year olds playing Man City.

It's sad, but it's EA where Sales > Everything.

Back
Top Bottom