FIFA 12 Demo impressions

The collision detection looks awful on these videos, the ball is moving before players are even making contact. Also a bit worried that the Impact Engine might be overdone and the likes of Micah Richards are just going to be able to bulldozer people without any penalties for doing it.

Very apprehensive but going to pop home in an hour to download and have a few games myself. Not overly confident though :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Please make use of the FIFA 12 Demo video thread when posting vids, guys. Cheers!

Was just going to say the same. Youtube causes a few problems on my works machine when trying to load a page with an embed, for some reason, so the more details and discussion in here, the better, and the videos elsewhere. Going to try and update my Java in the meantime.

Feels and looks pretty damn amazing so far. Dunno if I can see myself getting used to calling a teammate with R1 now instead of X anytime soon, though. This seems to conflict with sprinting on R2 and makes holding the pad a pain in the ass this way.

Sounds grand.

Completely different then the gamerbase build in a good way. I have more hope now (not against assisted) but manual v manual could be great this year.

Things better than gamerbase build (even though i think the demo is earlier).

manual long ball charge up quicker.
pace of the game( feels like half the speed of gamerbase)
180 pass went no where near target
footplanting and weight better in demo than gamerbase (prob due to speed)

Things still to sort:
Defenders tracking runs
Attacking AI
General formations seem "off"

Couple of questions :

Can you use skill moves to outwit the AI?
Is the pace in pulling away from defenders evident with no mystical catchup?

I'm sure there are many factors to take into consideration with the pace question - running with and without the ball for a start, but it would be nice to know a player like Lennon or Walcott could outstrip Steve Bruce, for example.

Johnny, nice to see you've picked up some plus points from the Gamerbase build. Very refreshing to hear.

Tactical Defending for sure is going to take a while to get used too. For me, though, the game feels too fast to reward tactical defending. Too fast and no sense of inertia.

Also worth noting that a lot of people enjoyed the pace of the F11 demo and then were disappointed by the speed of the final released game. Lets hope this demo represents the pace of the full game.

Tactical Defending for sure is going to take a while to get used too. For me, though, the game feels too fast to reward tactical defending. Too fast and no sense of inertia.

I suppose the teams chosen affect the pace. For example, Barcelona will play at a much higher tempo and speed than Chesterfield.

Can you alter the game speed in the demo, out of interest?

First game fully manual, professional & slow gameplay was promising. Man City vs Arsenal - my only chance was a decent effort from Dzeko from just inside the box that had a bit of power behind it. Defending is hard :LOL:

Enjoying the demo, harder to tackle, going to stop now because the Rugby challenge PS3 i got on ebay just arrived, so no work today for me.

The game feels a lot slower this year to me. The dribbling is hard to get used to. I like you can beat players with just the left stick but sometimes it doesn't feel as responsive as last year. Ball physics look improved and tried a couple of finesse shots from outside the box and keeper saved them pretty easily (good sign!)

The contain thing is a head wrecker after using A to tackle for ages. I use A to contain and X to tackle.

Need to play against a friend later tonight to get a true feeling for the game

Nasri and Fabregas are still at Arsenal I see. It would take 30 seconds to take them out of the demo build. Bit lazy that!

Found these early pro's and cons from the EA boards :

Pros:

•Dribbling is a true joy. Can't get enough of it.

•There's a difference in players' pace. I can actually get away from defenders!

•Teams' defensive shapes are 100x better

•Attacking AI has improved vastly. A bit static at times in terms of forward runs, but I guess that can be tweaked via custom tactics and run frequency slider.

•No more hyper pressure!

•Defending is harder, but the tackle radius could do some further reducing. Not by much, however.

•Lobbed trough pass spamming is gone!

Cons:

•Player individuality is still lacking. In general, they're just too skillful. Eg. Ambrosini has the ball control of a mid-table team's playmaker and the passing skills to match it. First touches are way too good in general, whether it's trapping of the ball or quick passing.

•Crossing is still too accurate. Granted, defenders are more capable in defending them, but the issue still remains. Needs more variety in terms of quality.

•Even though the defensive shapes are far better, players still tend to ''switch off'' at times, and especially the central midfielders lack urgency in defending.

•Passing is too accurate. But again, I think sliders will help with that.

•Finesse shot is still too powerful.

All in all, there's not awful lot wrong with the demo build. Few tweaks here and there, and we're really looking at a serious contender to be the best footie game to date.

PS. There's probably more pros to list, but those were the one's that stood out first.

Back
Top Bottom