Fifa 12 Career Mode Discussions

Sounds like the most advanced CM mode yet. A nice balance of managerial stuff but not OTT so you can concentrate on the important stuff.

I'm still only playing the demo and becoming increasingly frustrated with the AI of the opposition.

Please someone tell me it's much better in the final game.

The demo was terribly frustrating for me too but right now I'm loving the game. IMO it's much better than the demo.

Just be prepared for a learning curve unlike any previous FIFAs - I've had retail for about a week now and I'm just now moving up to WC.

Thanks for the heads up regarding star player transfers and a trick to fix it, before I start my CM can we make a list of players who definitely should not be able to transfer teams at the start?

1. Nani (Man Utd)
2. Hernandez (Man Utd)
3. Silva (Man City)
4. Nasri (Man City)
5. Kompany (Man City)
6. Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
7. Toure (Man City) ?

Also how do you find player growth, do you think players grow too fast overall? Is it the players overall or individual attributes that grow when they go up a point? I'd be unrealistic for a 28 year old player to go up 10 points a season.

One way to avoid this (annoying but it works), is to create a list of the players who the game is selling in the first window which are pretty unrealistic sales (ie Nani, Hernandez, Kompany, Silva, Nasri) etc. etc. go to team transfers in the edit menu, transfer them out of their team (to any other team) then back again into their proper team (you'll need to fix the team lineups) then when you start CM they are classed as "recently moved clubs" so won't sell in the first window, I just tested this and in my new CM so far none of the usual suspects have been sold :)

Good one!

One way to avoid this (annoying but it works), is to create a list of the players who the game is selling in the first window which are pretty unrealistic sales (ie Nani, Hernandez, Kompany, Silva, Nasri) etc. etc. go to team transfers in the edit menu, transfer them out of their team (to any other team) then back again into their proper team (you'll need to fix the team lineups) then when you start CM they are classed as "recently moved clubs" so won't sell in the first window, I just tested this and in my new CM so far none of the usual suspects have been sold :)

Yep, but in the next transfer windows the whole thing doesn'r start all over again?

Maybe but it's a bit less unrealistic if it happens in 6 months time and maybe the scripting is for the first transfer window to make it all exciting? Haven't got as far as the 2nd window so waiting to find out :)

One tiny little detail I've noticed which I think is new this year is the scoreboards in the ground now work, i.e. they change with the matches time and score - pretty cool!

In last years fifa I would flick between world class and legendary - this year I cant see myself going above professional - in Ligue 1 after matches are really challenging and I have to be at my absolute best to keep a clean sheet - the new defending (with the controls altered as some have suggested) really is SO good - making an epic last ditch tackle on a skilled dribbler who has ghosted past your entire team is easily as satsifying now as scoring a goal!

Just won 1-0 away to OGC Nice in the Cote D'Azur derby, had some great specific commentary and when I praised my team pre match the article referenced our promotion and said that I'd laid down a marker of beating our rivals to show where we stand again as a football club!

p.p.s You on ps3 or xbox mate?

360 - my gamertag is on the left I think.

Apologies if what I am going to say has already been mentioned, I have read elsewhere that CM may provide interesting surprises such as club take overs, meaning that budgets may be pumped up overnight - this sounds like a very interesting feature for mid-bottom table teams on paper, adding more depth the game itself. Thumbs up if this is correct!:APPLAUD:

Apologies if what I am going to say has already been mentioned, I have read elsewhere that CM may provide interesting surprises such as club take overs, meaning that budgets may be pumped up overnight - this sounds like a very interesting feature for mid-bottom table teams on paper, adding more depth the game itself. Thumbs up if this is correct!:APPLAUD:

This is true, however it will only happen to CPU teams.

Yep, confirmed. Stoke got taken over just after the first transfer window in my game. Interested to see who they go in for in January! I also read on the EA forums that in someone's game Bolton got taken over and bought Rooney and Kaka! Class.

Yep, confirmed. Stoke got taken over just after the first transfer window in my game. Interested to see who they go in for in January! I also read on the EA forums that in someone's game Bolton got taken over and bought Rooney and Kaka! Class.

Thanks for confirming. It would be awesome if that happens to your club too. But it seems that that's no the case as Lothario stated.

Had a couple of drop balls happen yesterday which didnt happen to me once in the whole of Fifa 11!

Bojan went up for a header but got elbowed in the face whilst doing so.. He went down but play resumed. After about 10 seconds, the ref stopped the game and it went into a cutscene with Bojan looking pretty hurt. Had to sub him off (2 weeks out with a concussion) and then the ref made me kick the ball back to their keeper and off we went.

Was really neat to see, also happened in another game to the opposition but it was a good minute before the ref blew the whistle. Didnt realize till I watched the replay what exactly happened!

New CM is Newcastle I may have mentioned, first match of the season against Arsenal, I'm steaming down the wing, ref stops play, I'm swearing at the ref, Sagna is down with a broken ankle :(

This game is so bloody good, just played Sunderland away now, won 2-0, player movement is just fantastic, when you make a pass the player you just left control of either rushes forward or looks for space to receive a return ball etc, fantastic AI. Sound has also taken a massive step forward, oohs and ahhs from the crowd when you try a good shot that goes near, round of applause when you win the ball back with a good tackle, crowd even boos their own players at times!

New CM is Newcastle I may have mentioned, first match of the season against Arsenal, I'm steaming down the wing, ref stops play, I'm swearing at the ref, Sagna is down with a broken ankle :(

This game is so bloody good, just played Sunderland away now, won 2-0, player movement is just fantastic, when you make a pass the player you just left control of either rushes forward or looks for space to receive a return ball etc, fantastic AI. Sound has also taken a massive step forward, oohs and ahhs from the crowd when you try a good shot that goes near, round of applause when you win the ball back with a good tackle, crowd even boos their own players at times!

What slider settings are you using? I'm playing with Malaga and I have no options what so ever. All I do is pass the ball sideways since no one is making a run.
And how are you finding tactical defending, any tips for not getting insane while trying to cope with it? :)

Yeah what's your settings Tom. I don't have Ozkar's problem but don't find my players BOMBING forward as soon as they release a pass either.

Becanes, you gonna start a CM with Fulham? :P

Who's Tom? ;)

I haven't adjusted much just injuries and pass accuracy mostly, maybe try a match with Newcastle and see if it's their custom tactics or something? I was really impressed with them in my last match, in one attack Collocini had run into the midfield to try and get on the ball in attack! And I had normal mentality at the time I wasn't even in attack/allout attack

I put the run frequency slider up to around 75.. Playing with Roma, theres pretty good movement off the ball. I tend to like playing with Italian teams more, even tho i love the premiership, it just feels nicer to play in Italy for some reason.

Played 5 games, drawn 4, won 1, just cant seem to score with the chances i create or i end up conceding a soft goal but thats my own fault because im trying to defend like last years game.. I tend to find the contain button really useful and when you get a chance, nip in for the ball..

Also the AI seems to panic alot more under pressure. Playing against Cagliari, they were all over the fuckin place. Could barely pass a ball but i was playing at home so the nerves must of got to them! :BOP:

Playing on World Class btw, gradually getting better at defending and ive already scored goals that would of never happened in last years game.. Great stuff!! :SMUG:

Yeah what's your settings Tom. I don't have Ozkar's problem but don't find my players BOMBING forward as soon as they release a pass either.

Becanes, you gonna start a CM with Fulham? :P

PLF, yeah most likely with Fulham. Unless I decide to broden my horizons with a bottom PL team. I may just leave Fulham to my FM career.

Blackburn have just been taken over in my game. Steve Kean is chuffed apparently!

Didn't know this would happen in CM - a great addition :)

Up to about the middle of November now in the first season. Only had one game in the rain and one in the snow. Hmm..

Last edited:
Whats the atmosphere like? I watched a video yesterday where Real Madrid scored at the Camp Nou and the crowd reaction was practically silent like it it would be in real life. Is this the case with all away team goals scored where the crowd cheer is significantly lower?

Who's Tom? ;)

I haven't adjusted much just injuries and pass accuracy mostly, maybe try a match with Newcastle and see if it's their custom tactics or something? I was really impressed with them in my last match, in one attack Collocini had run into the midfield to try and get on the ball in attack! And I had normal mentality at the time I wasn't even in attack/allout attack

I think it may be a Premier League thing. Just played as Newcastle and then as QPR and it felt like a different game!
I also found it useful to move closer to the TV, I was sitting too far away to be able to defend well lol :)

Must say the new commentary is awesome! It feels like you're watching a real game now.

I think it may be a Premier League thing. Just played as Newcastle and then as QPR and it felt like a different game!
I also found it useful to move closer to the TV, I was sitting too far away to be able to defend well lol :)

Must say the new commentary is awesome! It feels like you're watching a real game now.

Try replicating their custom tactics and formations in your team and check whether there's any difference.

What slider settings are you using? I'm playing with Malaga and I have no options what so ever. All I do is pass the ball sideways since no one is making a run.
And how are you finding tactical defending, any tips for not getting insane while trying to cope with it? :)

Lately I've been using 65 for Run Frequency, though I may try higher. But take note, teams play quite differently this year and I've had some teams feel too static and some very impressive with their movement.

Also, player individuality is great this year. In my CM in the second Bundesliga division with Frankfurt, I switched out a CM for a lesser rated CDM, and this young and lesser CDM has proven to have just the best runs into the box from deep. Out of no where he's become one of my stars.

Last year I felt that it hardly mattered what players I would play as long as their OVRs were similar, but this year is a entirely new game when it comes to individuality. So test different players.

Also, when it comes to your teammates movement, it's critical to not out-run your teammates, so lay off the sprint button and only play fast in attack when counter-attacking makes sense. I find that the more I allow for players to make runs, the more they happen. This game really rewards patient play. Maybe too much but that's another discussion.

Tactical Defending is all about unlearning what you know. Start on lower difficulties and don't worry about it - I've been playing the full release for a week now and my ability to defend is massively better now, it's like night and day. I've gone from conceding 5 goals on Professional to keeping clean sheets 50 percent of the time on World Class. Also, it may help to turn down the CPU acceleration slider by one or two while you become used to the new system - this can come in handy when you're giving away a lot of goals to attackers that just rip you apart in your penalty box.

Just be cautious, focus on trying to force the other team into either making a mistake or playing a pass that you're ready to intercept, and learn how to time your challenges near your own goal - probably the hardest part of the new defensive system. If at all possible, only go in for a tackle in your penalty box with a CB or a very good tackler.

Also, individuality matters a lot when it comes to TD. I've now learned in my CM who are my ball winners, who I can rely on to make a slide tackle, and who are just to be used for closing down players and slowing up the opposition's attack. Unlike in 11, when all players could tackle effectively, this year I've learned to value certain players for their ball winning abilities.

For example, I used to not like playing with CDMs, since any midfielder could tackle in 11, but this year I have one CDM who has become extremely valuable for me, a great protector of my CBs, and a really good ball winner in midfield. He's crap going forward but is getting playing time because of his defense. This type of stuff is a first occurrence for FIFA.

The most important thing to do when defending this year is to do the complete opposite of what you would've done in 11 - when first transitioning into defense, immediately move your defender toward your own goal rather than forward into a tackle. Be cautious, not aggressive, at least not until you learn the new system. It's imperative that you allow your teammates to regain and keep their shape, so your number one priority should be to slow down the attack, not necessarily stop it, unless they're in striking distance of course.

Give it time and I guarantee it'll come to you.

Back
Top Bottom