Fifa 12 Career Mode Discussions

I'd say no, whilst there are a few too many big players moving in the first window IMO those players actually transfer listed tend to be the lesser ones, you often get news reports saying "Player X has been shown the door at Club Y, the player was shocked today to learn he has been put on the transfer list but considering he's not a first choice in his position it's no great surprise" etc. etc.

During Overcast it still looks dull and there really is no light effect at all. But that is like it is in real life, but it doesn't look amazingly good :/

When you play in rain at night it looks good - You have mirror effect on the ball and on the player boots and the player kits get wet - But for me it doesn't look like it has been improved over FIFA 11 :)

But in the Day/Dry and Night/Dry/Rain time is where it really shines ;) The lighting effects is really good and the players looks more detailed.

Playing at Old Trafford during Night (Doesn't matter if it is dry or rainy) is really amazing. The grass looks really short and the field is lit up great and you really feel like it is like playing a real Champions League match (My first match was Man United vs. Aalborg BK during night).

But I had a great game against my brother where he was United and I was Fulham and we played it during Night/Rainy and it felt like a real Premier League match with intense tacklings and really great passing play.

So overall it has been improved from last year :)

BY THE WAY!

The ball physics felt weird last year playing in rain (The ball made this weird thing where it stopped - Like there was a pool of water) - It feels way more realistic this year :)

Thank you for the write up ;)

I can buy it tomorrow here in Australia but I am considering buying it from an online store that would send me the UK version - but ONLY if I know the UK version has Italian commentary as well as English. If there is no Italian commentary I will get it locally tomorrow.

When you play a league, do they still call it a cup fixture? Hated that on FIFA 11. Like I'd play a normal fixture and it calls it a cup round. Not in career mode. Just in a normal league campaign.

Also - are the fixtures real for all leagues in career mode (for first season)? I'm concerned with Australin League for starters :P

When you play a league, do they still call it a cup fixture? Hated that on FIFA 11. Like I'd play a normal fixture and it calls it a cup round. Not in career mode. Just in a normal league campaign.

Also - are the fixtures real for all leagues in career mode (for first season)? I'm concerned with Australin League for starters :P

EU early release version has Italian but it's not for certain if UK retail will, you'll have to wait until someone lucky gets it early ;)

I haven't heard a league game called a cup game, or vice versa, when I won the charity shield they still got all excited saying we were excellent to win this important cup etc which is silly but not a huge deal.

I'll start a CM with Adelaide Utd and take a pic of the fixture list :)

I started a CM with Liverpool last night. I got through the month of August. Things I want to highlight...

**First, some clubs can come aggressively after your players. I sold LUCAS and AGGER for nearly double their MV (market value). I love this, though not sure if its too much.

**injuries are definitely in! ha, i know we know this... i set to 75/75 like Placebo. I bought Mueller for £26MM and during stoke (yes Placebo looks to me like EPL 2011 schedule!), Mueller went down. ACL tear, out for 4 months! I love the drama.

**loan system seems improved.

I know its early (and technically the wrong thread) but the tactical defending makes this game extremely engaging. way too early to talk about the AI, but defending is challenging and fun. i spend most my time worrying and thinking about defense... that has never happened before in FIFA. CPU plays possession and i try to contain, very difficult. i have noticed AI issues with my line (G Johnson - I am looking at you!).

once again, very early, but felt like IMMERSION is possible this year...

Thanks Placebo. No drama's mate. Don't go out of your way for me. Was just curious if the night games were actually played at night. Most of our home games are Friday night fixtures. Wouldn't feel authentic if they decided to play them all during the day!

So nice to see teams really playing differently this year, I'm 2/3 of the way through Wolves at home and they are just terrible, they can hardly complete a pass, panicking when in possession, crossing like an assisted player using manual for the first time, just about the only player on their team showing any composure is Phil Neville who they bought at RB, which is how it would probably be in real life, so kudos to the game for that :)

EU early release version has Italian but it's not for certain if UK retail will, you'll have to wait until someone lucky gets it early ;)

I haven't heard a league game called a cup game, or vice versa, when I won the charity shield they still got all excited saying we were excellent to win this important cup etc which is silly but not a huge deal.

I'll start a CM with Adelaide Utd and take a pic of the fixture list :)

Did you notice any change in the trophy celebrations? Come to think about it, winning the CS shouldn't really cause massive celebrations but anyway...

I will check if it's logged correctly in my stats :)

TBH I'm not sure if I skipped the celebration or watched it all, I don't remember a trophy presentation or fireworks or whatnot, just the slightly inappropriate commentary :)

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't really followed FIFA 12 pre-release but the demo got me interested. Do the AI now properly rotate their players, and do they actually give their new signings a place in the starting XI? I would be very grateful if someone could answer these questions.

Yes to the second, haven't played enough to check on the first, in the league cup I'm in the Qtr finals against Newcastle so I'll look to see if it's their starting 11, as I'm Man City I would expect it will be though because they'll want to go through.

There's loads more stuff I could talk about but I'm wary of saying too much and spoiling the experience, here's a couple of newspaper stories that cropped up which I thought were terrific, I'll spoiler them so people can choose whether to read them or not:

Graham Dorrans (signed for Blackburn) got sent off in an AIvAI match, Steve Kean was complaining in the press saying it wasn't really an elbow, he just jumped for the ball and the other player jumped into his elbow, he's not that sort of lad and he thought it was harsh etc. etc.

Another one was Martin Jol complaining how an offside goal cost his side in their last defeat and he doesn't understand how the linesman can't see he's offside when he's stood 30 yards further away near the dug out and he can see it's offside!

One thing I really like (but could have used an extra touch) is you often get news stories popping up about a youngster to keep an eye on for the future and the article will be about a young player in the reserves of a certain team (real player) it'll talk about the position they play, their age and maybe height, which strong foot, what their strengths as a player are etc, unfortunately there's no way to then view that player's profile other than by going on a hunt in the transfer player search and tracking him down, if we could have say clicked a button to shortlist or right stick down to go straight to that player it'd have been great, as it is it's still a fantastic little feature :)

Talking of the transfer market, I thought they said they'd improved the search options? Other than it remembering what you searched for it seems exactly the same as last year sadly, only two searches for number (eg overall min/max, speed min/max etc etc) no way to search for height of a player which is crap if you want say a tall CB to compliment your Vermaelen/Puyol/Cahill/Jagielka type CB.

I have to admit, one thing I'm finding very offputting is the money spent in the transfer windows. It's like the AI teams have been set to spend big and go after any big name they can to make it look as though this year money isn't a factor. Silva, Kaka, Benzema etc. all going to Arsenal and Tottenham accepting 80m bids for Modric etc.

While this is a good addition, it just seems that within a few weeks of the season starting, every club will have a completely different lineup of world class players.

Maybe I'm being paranoid.

I agree it needs toning down a bit, every team seems to have changed at least 3 or 4 of their first team in the first transfer window and it doesn't seem realistic IMO, an AI transfer activity slider could have been perfect to help in that regard.

It seems CM is making a step towards Football Manager, which IMO is still the most immersive game there is...only thing is that i like to play the matches myself. I've just bought FIFA11 and i'm looking forward starting a CM one of these days if i come to grips with the gameplay (i'm a lousy gamer).

Placebo, do you actually notice any difference between top teams like Man Utd and lesser sides like Norwich this year? That's a make or break for me when it comes to CM.

I'm currently playing Professional with control settings of semi for short passing, shooting and crossing and manual for through balls/long passing.

On average I probably score something like 3 a match, the problem is defending which I am slowly improving, I've already had a 4-3, a 5-5 and a 6-1 defeat to Bolton but that's Petal's fault not mine!

I think my top scorer is Sergio Agüero with something like 10 goals in 12 league matches or such (have to check).

Professional is a bit too easy in attack for me but until I get better at the defending I daren't move up to my usual world class ;)

Placebo, do you actually notice any difference between top teams like Man Utd and lesser sides like Norwich this year? That's a make or break for me when it comes to CM.

Massive differences, as I already mentioned previously I think in here? I played Wolves at home recently and they were absolutely awful, their passing was terrible, they panicked when under pressure, to try to attack they were hoofing the ball forward and giving it straight back to me, when they had good possession wide they were crossing straight behind for a goal kick, the only player who played well for them was Phil Neville who obviously has the experience and mental stats to be able to cope with such things. Played Newcastle as well last night and they were a good mix of panicking a little when under pressure but when you let them have time on the ball they started to relax and pass it around much better, so I then made a more conscious effort to close them down more quickly and put them under more pressure and it forced them onto the back foot and I was able to seal the win :)

Playing against Man Utd they killed me with crisp passing, throughballs and the pace of Young in particular who scored twice, I won 4-3 but that's more due to the fact attacking on professional is a little too easy for me but even then I was hanging on desperately for the win.

That sounds really promising! Can't wait to get my hands on this game. I guess it will take some time getting used to the new controls and the new way of defending tough since I haven't played the demo.

About goal scoring, are the goals more spread out this year? Do the CPU score with midfielders and defenders more often?

Well defenders score from set pieces as usual, midfielders do seem to score more but again it could be my terrible defending ;) J.A. Riise did score for Fulham in open play against me as I just remembered :)

Cool :)

Will be a CM with Malaga for me. Hopefully they will have lots of cash like in real life but will not be able to buy the best players because of them not being a big club yet.

Great stuff Placebo, thanks for all the info. Can't wait to get my hands on this now, and for the first time since FIFA 08 it seems like the mode is actually very playable and not filled with bugs and glitches.

Cool :)

Will be a CM with Malaga for me. Hopefully they will have lots of cash like in real life but will not be able to buy the best players because of them not being a big club yet.

I was watching a video in YouTube earlier where the La Liga's roster was shown. Málaga's XI is rated with 4.5 stars making them as big as Valencia, Villareal, Sevilla or At Madrid. I will be getting the UK retail version at some point early next week, or Saturday this week with a bit of luck.

CM sounds great fun at last!

PS Thanks to Placebo for the feedback. Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom