Fifa 12 Career Mode Discussions

One thing I noticed as Celtic (who with the help of simming most matches against the lower SPL teams, I completed 9 seasons with), is that big players don't seem to mind coming to Scotland as long as you have the money.

In FIFA 11, I would get turned down a lot, because of the prestige of the league. I prefer it like this, even if it's a tad unrealistic. I ended up with de Gea, Fabio, Rafael, Evans, Welbeck, Hernandez, Iturbe and Shaqiri. United must have liked me.

Real Madrid bought Snodgrass from me for £19m, and when I bought Iturbe as a replacement, they bought him from me for £40m the next year. Easy money.

Also, the SPL split still seems to confuse the game, but it's handled better than last year. No resetting to alphabetical and Aberdeen getting in the Champions League.

Last edited:
I have AWESOME news! Almost the best news ever for MM/CM addicts like myself!

Ok so one thing we always wanted, to be able to loan players that aren't listed for loan, previously we couldn't because the only option was loan/sale for players listed that way, EA said it was in this year right we can loan non loan-listed players, so the question is, can it really be true? I did a test just now:

Transfer search
Attackers
Min Ovr 70
Max Ovr 80
Transfer Status none
Max age 24

I ran this search through individual leagues EPL/Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga and Rest of the world.

Of the results that came back I loan bid on every single one, excluding those already on loan and thus I wasn't allowed to bid it ended up being 82 players (of those a very large portion had the "just moved club" status so never were going to happen.

I clicked advance and waited with baited breath, ok well not quite, dangerous to hold my breath at my age ;)

And the results were:

79 said no (booooo)

3 said yes!

Lukaku Chelsea Ovr 78
Macheda Man Utd Ovr 73
Castaignos Inter Ovr 71?

I signed the last two but skipped Lukaku as his wages were too high (I've started a new CM as Newcastle).

So I'm very happy with this, maybe as it moves further into the transfer window (currently first week) more teams would have said yes.

I went and checked again to make sure and those three weren't listed for loan :)

@ JayM

so how is the spl after the split? does it include the results into the league?
I still actually haven't worked that out, as I usually win them and I'm usually already quite a few points clear.

The league table stops updating at 33 games played, but you play the remaining 5 and the "won the league" thing doesn't pop up until after those. The top scorers list does update with the goals from those games. It's a bit confusing.

On the subject of loans, I started a new career with Norwich, and the loan to buy option is my saviour. I got Frimpong on loan for the season with the option to buy for £3.8m at the end of the year, some teams seem more likely to loan you a player if you make like you're going to pay a lot for them at the end of the term.

On the subject of loans, I started a new career with Norwich, and the loan to buy option is my saviour. I got Frimpong on loan for the season with the option to buy for £3.8m at the end of the year, some teams seem more likely to loan you a player if you make like you're going to pay a lot for them at the end of the term.

Very interesting, I'll go back to all those who said no and bid again with an option to buy :)

Originally Posted by JayM
The league table stops updating at 33 games played, but you play the remaining 5 and the "won the league" thing doesn't pop up until after those. The top scorers list does update with the goals from those games. It's a bit confusing.

so the same as fifa 11 then, oh well ill just continue siming the last 5 games as they dont make a difference to the league table

Well, disappointed with gameplay on carrer mode. It´s just like previous years, the game is one on exibithion but on carrer mode the AI is totally different. Even with sliders the CPU seems to have advantage in everything, the pass errors simply don´t work, even playing against a third division italian club their passes and possession are like a 5 star teams... that´s sad cause on friendlies the passes errors for the CPU are great with sliders but again EA make something that make the carrer mode unjoyable!

so the same as fifa 11 then, oh well ill just continue siming the last 5 games as they dont make a difference to the league table

Actually, just checking now, if you go to league standings, it has two options, "League Stage 1" and "League Stage 2", with the second containing two 6 team groups, "Championship Group" and "Bottom Group" with the teams TBD. Maybe the split is done sort of properly afterall.

That might explain the main table not updating, while the second one does? Did not notice that before as it's not displayed on the main screen.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I'll go back to all those who said no and bid again with an option to buy :)

Interestingly I did indeed get loan offer accepted by about 5 more of the clubs when I offered a first refusal buy offer, so that's something like 10 out of 80 (with at least 30-40 of the 80 being "recently moved clubs") so could be something like a 20-25% chance of a loan offer being accepted for a non loan listed player, nice :)

Interestingly I did indeed get loan offer accepted by about 5 more of the clubs when I offered a first refusal buy offer, so that's something like 10 out of 80 (with at least 30-40 of the 80 being "recently moved clubs") so could be something like a 20-25% chance of a loan offer being accepted for a non loan listed player, nice :)
The good thing about this is that you can offer money you don't have and just pull out at the end of the season if you don't want the player. It's like a free trial.

The good thing about this is that you can offer money you don't have and just pull out at the end of the season if you don't want the player. It's like a free trial.

If that's the case, you may be able to get on loan the likes of Messi or any other top player, if your salary cap allows it. :CONFUSE:

If that's the case, you may be able to get on loan the likes of Messi or any other top player, if your salary cap allows it. :CONFUSE:
I'm going to test that now.

Also I'm in like 2020 and there's very few 80+ players left, other teams don't seem to develop youth very well.

I just bought Neymar for £45m after selling Welbeck for £30m anyway.

EDIT: I tried to loan some players with the option to buy set to ridiculous fees like £100m, they responded that while they feel the fee was fair, they weren't aligned to letting the player go on loan. Bilbao said yes to loaning me Llorente with the option to buy for £100m though.

Last edited:
Malaga is already a strong team because of all the good players they have in their squad and they have something like $70-$80 million to spend guys. So if you want a sugar daddy type of club in Spain and ambitious, go for them.

I have to admit, one thing I'm finding very offputting is the money spent in the transfer windows. It's like the AI teams have been set to spend big and go after any big name they can to make it look as though this year money isn't a factor. Silva, Kaka, Benzema etc. all going to Arsenal and Tottenham accepting 80m bids for Modric etc.

While this is a good addition, it just seems that within a few weeks of the season starting, every club will have a completely different lineup of world class players.

Maybe I'm being paranoid.

While for me it's not THAT big an annoyance or off-putting, yeah I agree with you. In the FIRST transfer window at least considering in real life teams have done their business, there shouldn't be SO much transfer activity! Plus I saw a couple dubious ones too like Lazio buying Pato from Milan for $60 Million! But I have to say for the most part, it's very good and I'm impressed just like Placebo.

One thing I really like (but could have used an extra touch) is you often get news stories popping up about a youngster to keep an eye on for the future and the article will be about a young player in the reserves of a certain team (real player) it'll talk about the position they play, their age and maybe height, which strong foot, what their strengths as a player are etc, unfortunately there's no way to then view that player's profile other than by going on a hunt in the transfer player search and tracking him down, if we could have say clicked a button to shortlist or right stick down to go straight to that player it'd have been great, as it is it's still a fantastic little feature :)

Exactly! Was just thinking that last night when playing. I don't wanna go searching for that player....

I'm going to test that now.

Also I'm in like 2020 and there's very few 80+ players left, other teams don't seem to develop youth very well.

I just bought Neymar for £45m after selling Welbeck for £30m anyway.

EDIT: I tried to loan some players with the option to buy set to ridiculous fees like £100m, they responded that while they feel the fee was fair, they weren't aligned to letting the player go on loan. Bilbao said yes to loaning me Llorente with the option to buy for £100m though.

That's a cracker! I guess the loan to buy feature could become an "exploit" in CM when offering ridiculuos amounts of money that the club doesn't and won't have. :SHOCK:

Thought I'd write a little a walkthrough with my impressions at the end of my first season with Monaco.

Transfers

- Given £10M to spend, first I transfer list any dead wood, old players, youngsters who wont make the cut etc. Here I'm I notice the first impressive thing. Clubs will bid less than market value for old players with little resell value and if stalled for more money will usually end their interest. Do this with a younger player however - and they will often come back, begrudgingly meeting the market price (and often higher still!)

- To replace the outgoings I sign Vito Mannone in goal, Sebastian Prodl at CB (71 with strength shield) and to be my new captain, Mathieu Flamini who is listed by Milan for about £5M (and somewhat realistically I have to pay him considerably higher wages to tempt him to this level). I also loaned Frimpong, Ramsey and Coutinho to add some options in midfield. I'm happy with my squad and the pundits predict promotion for Monaco (nicely summed up in the news section.)

- Overall this part of the experience is decent, with realistic fees and wages and a nice two stage negotiation process (club and player). Lots of transfer stories and deadline day is awesome, with clubs coming in for your player last minute with big money causing you a dilemma! My one big gripe as others have said is not only the crazy number of transfers (seems like big players are moving club every season!) but also slightly unrealistic ones - nani to spurs, silva to arsenal etc.

Injuries

- Here I am SUPER happy. I set the sliders to around 90% frequency, 70% severity and seem to have a realistic stream of small and large injuries, both to myself and amongst the CPU. Highlights include losing my defender for 7 months to ligament damage, Coutinho and another player to broken legs/ankles for around 3-5 months. All in all the injuries are awesome, forcing you to use your squad (lots of little injuries for between 3-7 days too.)

Growth

- Again a very welcome addition, with all my regular players growing between 1-4 OVR throughout the season. Coutinho also gained an acrobat shield that was nice to see! At first I thought growth was a little slow but now that loaning works (i.e. players grow on loan) I think its quite perfect, as you can loan out a 19 year old of 70 OVR for a few seasons and have him develop into a solid 80 OVR first teamer. Any faster and players would be hitting 90 left right and centre.

Player Stories

- This addition I absolutely love. I had an old striker of 35 who told me at the start of the season he was considering retirement as training was getting too hard. As we went on our cup run (to win the Ligue cup) he begged me to be involved, even from the bench, as he was aware it was his last chance perhaps of a trophy. This I did, and at the end of the season after a few goals as a sub he declared his love for the game too strong and announced one final season! Elsewhere I've had players beg to play even though the physios are unsure, others asking for rests ahead of the final push of the season, and others demanding more playing time.

Other Points

- Form, Morale and Fitness all work well, if a little on the conservative side, and have definitely noticed a striker in form banging them in and getting the luck of the green with deflections etc.

- The whole football world seems alive and the commentary is awesome, mentioning end of season predictions, injuries, signings etc etc - so much better than last year - it feels like they are talking specifically about your team and this match.

- Player individuality and AI are much improved, now that I've been promoted I'm finding it so much harder in Ligue 1 where teams are shooting and passing much better. And likewise I often look for specific players who I can feel are better at dribbling/long balls etc.

-

All in all it is SO much better than last years game. If they tone down the crazy transfers we've got the solid base in Career mode we've always wanted! I'll update with my Ligue 1 adventures soon (the board want me to finish mid table cheeky buggers!)

Last edited:
Yup. Awesome post jamxo! Really enjoyed it!

Yah I'm loving it as well. I think Flamini wouldn't step down from Milan to Ligue 2 but that's one of the few minor things... even with high salary at this young age still! Of course Monaco is a far bigger club than most others in Ligue 2 and somewhat historic.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to your progress and future posts, just a little minor note, if you don't mind, please use 'Ligue 1 and Ligue 2' rather than "League 1" (English 3rd division) just to be more correct.

p.s. What's the highest amount you sold any of your players for so far? In terms of getting tempting offers from bigger clubs.. have you let go of any of your initial players for good money?

And who else got promoted with you to Ligue 1? Did Nantes come back where they belong?

Are there any chances that a future patch of EA can solve the first transfer window problems? I just started the game and saw Higuain at MU, Drogba at Dortmund, Pato at Liverpool, Modric at Bayern, Gotze at Milan, etc.
Is not that realistic with this, although the career mode looks great.

Are there any chances that a future patch of EA can solve the first transfer window problems? I just started the game and saw Higuain at MU, Drogba at Dortmund, Pato at Liverpool, Modric at Bayern, Gotze at Milan, etc.
Is not that realistic with this, although the career mode looks great.

One way to avoid this (annoying but it works), is to create a list of the players who the game is selling in the first window which are pretty unrealistic sales (ie Nani, Hernandez, Kompany, Silva, Nasri) etc. etc. go to team transfers in the edit menu, transfer them out of their team (to any other team) then back again into their proper team (you'll need to fix the team lineups) then when you start CM they are classed as "recently moved clubs" so won't sell in the first window, I just tested this and in my new CM so far none of the usual suspects have been sold :)

BTW just played a friendly in Belgium (forget against who) in my new Newcastle CM and I think I had about 5 freekicks in the first 15 mins alone and probably 10 by the end of the match, 2 or 3 just outside their box, so some teams can be pretty dirty :)

Also pleasing, Diaby transfer listed by Arsenal at 5.5m Flamini listed at 4.2m (iirc) Diaby bid of 5m was accepted, 3.8m bid for Flamini was accepted :)

Oh and not sure if mentioned, but players you buy can immediately be sent out on loan if you wish (long and short), so you can finally sign someone for the future and loan them out to gain some experience :)

Sounds like the most advanced CM mode yet. A nice balance of managerial stuff but not OTT so you can concentrate on the important stuff.

I'm still only playing the demo and becoming increasingly frustrated with the AI of the opposition.

Please someone tell me it's much better in the final game.

Glad you guys liked my write up -sorry for the spelling errors, was in a rush to get to the Emirates but back now and have amended them!

Yup. Awesome post jamxo! Really enjoyed it!

Yah I'm loving it as well. I think Flamini wouldn't step down from Milan to Ligue 2 but that's one of the few minor things... even with high salary at this young age still! Of course Monaco is a far bigger club than most others in Ligue 2 and somewhat historic.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to your progress and future posts, just a little minor note, if you don't mind, please use 'Ligue 1 and Ligue 2' rather than "League 1" (English 3rd division) just to be more correct.

p.s. What's the highest amount you sold any of your players for so far? In terms of getting tempting offers from bigger clubs.. have you let go of any of your initial players for good money?

And who else got promoted with you to Ligue 1? Did Nantes come back where they belong?

Agree about Flamini, but its one of those things where with a little bit of imagination you can fool yourself into accepting it. I.e. He's listed by Milan, I offer him very high wages, make him captain, assure him he will play regularly and alongside other investment in the team and that we'll be at the top soon and want him to lead the project etc etc. Perhaps he wants to move back to France and is attracted to the tax haven of Monaco - you get what I mean!

So sorry about the League/Ligue thing - having spent 10 e-years turning Monaco into a force in FM2011 I should know better - just was typing quickly and reverted to English habits!

To answer your questions:

- RC Lens and FC Nantes were the two other teams to get promoted - however they are both sitting in 18 & 19 in the table after a couple of months of the new season.

- Most of the players I've sold arent worth more than £1M. Have had two tempting transfer sagas. First was a number of clubs snooping around my talented young CDM Nampalys Mendy who is now 67 OVR at age 19. Valued at £1.2M but have had offers of up to £2.8 (all rebuked as I'm a fan of his from FM). The other was on the transfer deadline day of my new Ligue 1 season - RCD Mallorca came in for Flamini offering £8M (valued at and bought him for £5M) and although I was slightly tempted, couldn't bring myself to part with my captain!

I'll update when I hit the January transfer window (the joys of being a freelance photographer - lots of downtime for fifa!) The new season in Ligue 1 is a blast, AI is so much more skilled and ferocious - I completely tore up Ligue 2 but now its a real challenge, just won 1-0 against PSG at home (who have Silva and Pato!) and I swear it was the most nerve wracking one sided flukey win EVER - proper epic back to the walls defending from my boys!

Sounds like the most advanced CM mode yet. A nice balance of managerial stuff but not OTT so you can concentrate on the important stuff.

I'm still only playing the demo and becoming increasingly frustrated with the AI of the opposition.

Please someone tell me it's much better in the final game.

I've been very impressed so far - from pre season games you can really notice a difference between teams (Athletico Madrid absolutely tore me apart!)and the difference of variety and quality of goals scored in Ligue 1 compared to Ligue 2 is very apparent. The new defending also makes the AI terrifying (in a good way).

Sounds awesome! Looks like you're having a blast with it and good you mentioned Lens as well. Was gonna ask you if they got promoted or not. So it sounds like the first season in Ligue 2, and the 3 biggest clubs and all historic in some ways made it back to where they belong, among the big boys in Ligue 1.

Now this 2nd season, two of them may go back down again... do let us know how they fare as well. Have they bought anyone interesting to give them a fighting chance?

p.s. I read in the game that who your captain is affects the team's organization, etc. But anybody really think this is more than just cosmetic?

p.p.s You on ps3 or xbox mate?

Agree about Flamini, but its one of those things where with a little bit of imagination you can fool yourself into accepting it. I.e. He's listed by Milan, I offer him very high wages, make him captain, assure him he will play regularly and alongside other investment in the team and that we'll be at the top soon and want him to lead the project etc etc. Perhaps he wants to move back to France and is attracted to the tax haven of Monaco - you get what I mean!

Nice one. :)

I like the way you think amigo. ;)

Back
Top Bottom