FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Exactly. It's a completely different feeling scoring in PES. The fans move around and cheer much louder, the nets buldge, and the ball feels like it has some weight. They need all that in FIFA

I haven't seen Joystick's videos but from the other ones the first thing I spotted was that the ball did have more weight and moved quicker so I hope it stays like that.

even a demo won't be what the full game is like! the euro 2008 and fifa 08 demo were so contrasting the fifa 08 demo didn't impress me much then the real game came out and I loved it!

the euro 2008 demo was great but the full game seemed to get rid of the ability to zip the ball quickly under pressure and score long range goals!

Off Adam on WENB:

I played FIFA 09 today at the i34 event. Was decent, but not the revelation people expected. The best way to describe it is Euro 2008 with collision system and being able to tackle. Not bad, but not great. If you have played FIFA 08 and EURO 2008 and still not got into the series, then FIFA 09 wont change your mind.

Expect more in the next FSB podcast, I think out Monday.

(Questions asked by members of WENB and answered by Adam)

Q: If it's more like Euro then thats a bad step for EA!
A: Well the pace is the same as FIFA 08. I liked it, but the thing is its not doing anything too different from previous versions.

So, if you like the FIFA series then this is no different. PES fans who couldnt get into the series before though wont like it.

And the build I played was newer than what Suff played.

Q: Ahh right, well i have been saying that all along going by the vids. So would you say it's just a minor update of Euro and not much of a big step up from Fifa 08?
A: Minor is harsh, but it is an evolution of Euro 2008.

The graphics are great, and the animations breathtaking. The collision system is nice, although I'm not convinced how fundamental it is. Love the new faces, Pato looks awesome ;)

But more specific details will be in the FSB podcast, so watch out for that one on Monday. And watch out for the videos that should be up tomoz.

Q: whats ronaldo torres all the big game players look like?
A: All In can say is that when I saw Ronaldo take a FK I was stunned. He has his exact stance, but you can also see him take his deep breaths! Its incredible, and lucky for you I managed to record it ;)

Q: u putting it up on f.s.b? excuse my french but thats fucking awesome man cheers
A: np,

Its gonna be on FSB tomorrow. I shot around 20 2min videos, but I think 5 of them were really good. They should all be up sometime tomorrow once Suff downscales them.

Q: classic so whats ronaldos face look like? what bout torres face and all the other big names they look good to?
A: Hit and miss really. The faces are good, but PES's are better. Thing is FIFA's are technically better because they are full 3D renders, where as PES is an image planted on a set model. The results are good for both.

Ronaldo looked ok, but Torres was spot on. A lot of the big names were well represented, but like I said PES still owns on that front.

Q: is the passing shooting better than previous fifas?
A: Passing is very samey, but the shooting has improved. Its got more impact, if you strike it well and its going towards the corner the keeper has no chance.

One-on-ones are harder now, no cheap goals. One thing I learnt is that when one-on-one its good to use the finess button.

Q: so whats the quality like on the vids u took then,mobile phone etc?
A: HD camera, but we had to downscale them. Very good quality though.

Q: Adam, does the passing have a power meter ala Euro 2008?
A: :COOL:

Q: do u think its the best fifa yet ure honest opinion,and how far do u think its of completion? can u score stunners like pes?
A: Yep best FIFA yet, but not by a huge distance. I scored two crackers with Kaka, so IMO long range shooting has been improved. And the game is about 80-90% complete.

Q: Hmm that it hasen't changed a lot, gameplay wise, could explain why that german magazine said that PES09 is better then Fifa09 in gameplay.
A: I agree, EA couldve cemented their place in as king of nextgen but I dont they will with FIFA 09. Looks nice, plays too similar to Euro 2008. And the 1 player AI is still as bad as ever, no improvement.

Q: u and suff then adam 2 diff opinions of fifa 09, from what i heard on the f.s.b podcast suff played a 5 week build and could not get off it?
A: Oh yes definitely, its down to personal taste.

Like I said, and I know I'm right on this, if you like FIFA 08 and Euro 2008 then you will love FIFA 09.

If you didnt, then FIFA 09 wont change your mind.

From the videos its clear to see the similarities to prvious versions, whats changed are mainly the visuals and new animations. The gameplay is still the core from the previous games.

I'm not saying its a bad game, I think its very good, but if Konami get the gameplay right on PES 2009 then EA wont have the market owned like they did last year.

Q: still only bout 80% complete, a lot can change with that 20% extra.
A: Not really, I said 80-90%. The gameplay will remain the same, you cant change it drastically in 1 month. But its not as if they need to, FIFA fans will love it.

Q: what bout responsivnes in fifa 09 for u much improved then?
A: Its Euro 2008 responsiveness, with improved trapping.

Ball physics decent, but again similar to previous versions. Crossing is much faster, not as balloony.

Looking forward to this game now. Release the demo already...

Lol win at all costs claim I am a don't want to concede shitty goals type!

and in PES if you didn't set yourself with 4CB's you were vulnerable!

that may/maynot be the case in fifa 09 but I will be trying out all possibilities to keep my defense water tight! it is not an exploit the game is giving me control of what formation I want to use if I was the manager of chelsea and wanted to use 4cb's I could the fact is in real life your players don't pause! when a ball is in the box and alive and ready to be tapped in they bust their guts to try and stop it this doesn't happen in footie video games! which is why 4cb's is not an exploit but a way of having more men in the box to add as cover for rebounds and cutbacks!

an exploit (WHAT A JOKE)

It's not a joke, actually.

I used to play in the PES leagues at proevonetwork.com and 4 CBs was considered unsporting and an exploit of the game. A few people still did it but they took a lot of abuse off the other members. It's little things like this that put me off playing PES/Fifa online.

Rant over, back on topic.

Q: u and suff then adam 2 diff opinions of fifa 09, from what i heard on the f.s.b podcast suff played a 5 week build and could not get off it?
A: Oh yes definitely, its down to personal taste.

Like I said, and I know I'm right on this, if you like FIFA 08 and Euro 2008 then you will love FIFA 09.

If you didnt, then FIFA 09 wont change your mind.

From the videos its clear to see the similarities to prvious versions, whats changed are mainly the visuals and new animations. The gameplay is still the core from the previous games.

I'm not saying its a bad game, I think its very good, but if Konami get the gameplay right on PES 2009 then EA wont have the market owned like they did last year.

what more can people expect, konami was only doing this every year, little tweak here and there added new animaion

fifa didn't need changing that much imo, and they have brushed up on alot of things, and with the added features that he has not mentioned

i personally think it has been a big improvement from what i have read because i remember pes only have very slight changes each build..

fifa 09 is going to be great i think

Adam and Suff seem to have quite different views on Fifa 09, although I didn't really expect a glowing review from Adam. i think he finds it really hard to give Fifa the credit it's due whereas Suff is a bit more open-minded.

Adam and Suff seem to have quite different views on Fifa 09, although I didn't really expect a glowing review from Adam. i think he finds it really hard to give Fifa the credit it's due whereas Suff is a bit more open-minded.

Basically what I said on the topic on wenb pesfans won't admit fifa is good as will fifa fans (I am talking about hardcore fans)

It's not a joke, actually.

I used to play in the PES leagues at proevonetwork.com and 4 CBs was considered unsporting and an exploit of the game. A few people still did it but they took a lot of abuse off the other members. It's little things like this that put me off playing PES/Fifa online.

Rant over, back on topic.

fair enough but I put my opinions across and thats how I see it :)

It seems to me like Fifa had the game engine in place a year ago and will now subtly evolve over the few years with small improvements on gameplay each time.

Konami did this with PES for years, using the same game engine and slowly improving the game, and it was considered a good thing by the fans. It's interesting how some PES fans are now jumping on EA for doing exactly the same thing with Fifa.

I don't think anyone expected Fifa 09 to be radically different to Fifa08/Euro2008, but just the fact that the response times have been adjusted should make it a much, much better game.

I don't want fifa to change dramatically anyway I love the game and its the whole reason I now prefer fifa! they have gone next gen Konami will have to (and that can only be good a good thing for EA as I don't think they will get it right 1st time) (just like fifa 07 was shocking)

I don't want fifa to change dramatically anyway I love the game and its the whole reason I now prefer fifa! they have gone next gen Konami will have to (and that can only be good a good thing for EA as I don't think they will get it right 1st time) (just like fifa 07 was shocking)

Exactly. I hear a lot of people saying Konami need to release PES5 with next-gen graphics to get back to greatness. I love PES5 too, but after playing and enjoying next-gen FIFA it's all too apparent that Konami needs to design a new game engine sooner or later because PES 2008 looks and feels stiff and dated. Until they do redesign PES from the ground up I will probably steer clear. A polished PES 2008 wont cut it with me.

It seems to me like Fifa had the game engine in place a year ago and will now subtly evolve over the few years with small improvements on gameplay each time.

Konami did this with PES for years, using the same game engine and slowly improving the game, and it was considered a good thing by the fans. It's interesting how some PES fans are now jumping on EA for doing exactly the same thing with Fifa.

I don't think anyone expected Fifa 09 to be radically different to Fifa08/Euro2008, but just the fact that the response times have been adjusted should make it a much, much better game.

Difference is that Konami had the gameplay right so they could upto PES5.I am not sure EA have thier gameplay at the point of animation tweaks just yet.

I am not a PES fan nor a FIFA fan, I just had more fun with PES over a 6 year period and I want them to get back to those days which they may well do this year.

Like adam states on WENB "if you could not get into it in 08 or Euro 08 then you will not for 09 either" alas its not a massive change yet we are suggesting they are now ok to just tweak it.......not sure about that TBH.

I have'nt played it so i am hardly in a position to Judge, but what i see is what i perceived to be the case when they brought out Euro, which is now obviously FIFA 09.5/beta.

still not getting me excited and its a shame because i want it to be great.

I am playing 09 in 10 days time! so I can see for myself whether adam is right and it is just a tweak or the game will have set them the perfect game to tweak... afterall we know fifa 08 is not that game

sounds awesome. even PES fanboys are giving it props.

We shouldn't forget Suff's opinions, too. He said he 'couldn't put Fifa 09 down' and can't play any other football game now. Adam may be right, but I get the impression he's never been a fan of Fifa 08 so he may not appreciate the subtle changes as much as those who will really give this game a lot of time.

We shouldn't forget Suff's opinions, too. He said he 'couldn't put Fifa 09 down' and can't play any other football game now. Adam may be right, but I get the impression he's never been a fan of Fifa 08 so he may not appreciate the subtle changes a much a those who will really give this game a lot of time.

QFT

He didnt go.

The key thing is that Suff didnt play a lot of Euro 2008, just FIFA 08. So when comparing to FIFA 08 its night and day, but Euro 2008 is very close to how FIFA 09 plays. I guess because of that he failed to make the comparison.

EA have given Konami a get out of jail card, lets hope they take it. One thing for certain though, the gameplay in PES 2009 has to be spot on because Konami wont come close to the presentation of FIFA 09. The animations in that game were breathtaking at times.

my goondess, ronaldo breathing in on freekicks. be still my beating heart. good lord :drool:

He didnt go.

The key thing is that Suff didnt play a lot of Euro 2008, just FIFA 08. So when comparing to FIFA 08 its night and day, but Euro 2008 is very close to how FIFA 09 plays. I guess because of that he failed to make the comparison.

EA have given Konami a get out of jail card, lets hope they take it. One thing for certain though, the gameplay in PES 2009 has to be spot on because Konami wont come close to the presentation of FIFA 09. The animations in that game were breathtaking at times.

hehe, I saw the same comment on WENB.
But thats correct, Adam did mention Suff didn't play Euro 2008 much,hence the difference in opinion, where Adam was comparing 09 to Euro08, Suff was comparing 09 with 08.
Can't wait for Leipzig now. :D

He didnt go.

At least put Adam's post in quote man :LOL:

Tbh I'm looking forward to fifa 09, but the only thing that has let me down is AI still being crap and single player mode won't be as fun :(( Also players still not feeling different from each other apart from speed and power i think. That kills my MM experience...

love fifa 08, loved uefa 2008, will love fifa 09......bring it on!!!!

fifa 08 is still regularly in my drive, which is a big thing considering what games i have and woould like to complete. I'm looking forward to 09 so much.

I know it's contraversial in here but I want pes to be good this year as well. Can't get enough of football games.

fifa 08 is still regularly in my drive, which is a big thing considering what games i have and woould like to complete. I'm looking forward to 09 so much.

I know it's contraversial in here but I want pes to be good this year as well. Can't get enough of football games.

Bang on matey

I'd love them to be brilliant, all good for footy fans:DANCE:

Back
Top Bottom