FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

that tackle for the free kick was immense. take that ronaldo!!!! Looked so amazing. Game looks so smooth.

Yes, collisions and tackles looks beautiful but I'm a bit concerned he (Agger?) didn't get a red or at least a yellow... Don't want that be a standard play to stop an attack online :((

all i have to say is, check the Euro2008 compilation vid below it and compare. it's like night and day. TONNES of new animations. fluid as butter and the game looks like a lot more fun to play (responsiveness). i cannot wait.

that ronaldo free kick is simply stunning.

Yea I know I've watched all of em and I agree, which is why it is perplexing that he can say that there really aren't any changes to gameplay, while almost simultaneously mentioning things that I would think are big changes. I've listened to him on the podcast before and seems like an intelligent guy, you would think he would be beyond fanboyism and would just want the best footie game? so I dunno, to each their own i suppose.

As for manual passing, do u feel that player attributes still come in to play at all or is it strictly the direction you press on the controller + power? One of the problems with fifa already is player att's not mattering as much as they should does this not take away from it even further? I've always used a mix of semi auto and auto and that has been good for me so far

yeah cowden, i feell people are glossing over how much better than Euo2008 this looks.

the tackle was sick, and totally impossible to replicate in euro2008. ronaldo went flying. all it needs it ronaldo putting his hands in prayer while on his knees then slamming his hands on the floor in anger with tears in his eyes... like every saturday :D

Yes, collisions and tackles looks beautiful but I'm a bit concerned he (Agger?) didn't get a red or at least a yellow... Don't want that be a standard play to stop an attack online :((

Exactly

So the refs still may be as shit as in Fifa 08 which aint good

I think what I like is a slow paced simulation of football, rather than a ping-pong, pinball machine arcade version of football like PES, that to me is boring. I have had plenty of fast, dynamic, end to end matches in Fifa08. I think perhaps some people are just too used to overly fast arcade games and can't adjust to a more simulated experience, that's ok, not everyone is the same :)

Sorry,but you and a lot of Fifa fans says that Pes is arcade game but it is not true.You have to know that arcade and dynamic are to differt things.Game have to be dynamic like Pes not arcade.If I say about Pes I mean Pes 5-6 not 2008.I played Pes 5 and 6 on my Pc and I remember that all my games online which I played 1600 times was excite.I have xbox 360 now and I played 100 matches online and it is enougt for me,you know why??because all games are the same.Game is not real life and If you want really simulation in game it will be very boring.Game have to have something,that you feel this you know??

Last edited:

YES I HAVE PLAYED THE GAME TODAY AT I34!:DD

Yep folks today I played the game for the first time, I played the same build as Adam did and my opinion is pretty different to his. So without further to do let me get on with it :))

My first impression was wasnt that good as I started watching People play it and i didnt see much improvement and as Suff said and as I have seen from a lot of you it really is a totally different thing from watching and playing.

When i first got hold of the controller and the game started I felt the pace of the game to be perfect, they really have nailed it with the default speed IMO(Faster than 08/Slower than Euro). The second thing was the game felt VERY different to me compared to what i was watching before, The players and the ball have weight and when you recieve a pass or run with and try and turn etc this has IMO been improvement greatly. The other big improvement was the ball is ALOT more free, something which really stands out and makes the game feel less robotic and more like your watching a real match rather than the ball being glued to a players foot.

The Passing felt Improvement in certain situations but also felt like in some instances it had gone back, When you pass it can zip across the surface and you also "feel" it more when your player recieves it(adding to the weight). I was playing on "Semi" Passing and it didnt feel as accurate as 08 on "Semi", maybe this was just me as i have moved to Manual recently on 08(1 month) but there was a few situations where the pass went to the wrong player which can be very fustrating but this is something which wont be a problem for Manual players unless this means they have reduced the how free Semi and Manual are a tad bit.

The Shooting i feel was one of the big improvements for me, when you smack it it really is smacked IMO now, this is probably due to the weight being improved aswell, they have improved one on ones alot as it simply isnt as easy as it was before to just score but also it is now pretty much vital you shoot with "Finesse shot" when through on goal, Shooting as a whole is much harder even when there was a empty net you would need to steady yourself to tap it in otherwise there was a chance you would miss the target. I think i hit the post around 5 or 6 times when one on one which shows its become more difficult.

The Skill felt the same as 08 yet they have added more some new skill moves, it isnt as easy as Euro and pretty identical to 08 other than the new skill moves.

The Tackling has been improved massively from the games i played, You now in PES5 with "conservative tackle" you would need to poke at the right times now it feels like that which is good but "Slide tackling" stole the show on tacking as they are now just amazing (along with the collision system which it involves) they have them IMO spot on now. The collision system has already been hyped/praised so im not going to bother other than saying it really is that good.

The Ref can be slightly leniant or strict there didnt seem to be a consistent of one but there is no way you can hack someone down like 08 and not get a red.

The Goalkeepers IMO where along with Shooting and Tackling the biggest improvement, they were IMO perfectly balanced, they reacted properly to the situation, remember when Euro gameplay vids were coming out and Ronaldo had a shot from just outside the box and the Keeper caught it like it was a back pass? well from around 10 or 11 games I played that NEVER happenend and i wasnt pissed at the keeper once.

Overall FIFA 09 sounds great so far right? well as EA do theirs a problem, I wasnt at all impressed with the Response times, It feels exactly the same as Euro and for me that just isnt good enough, you still struggle to pull of one touch passing moves like the Arse, you have to wait a split second before Scholes attempts to smash one in from the edge of the box, The game felt so good and i cant believe EA havnt addressed this!

FIFA 09 so far is looking like a Great game but i think with all these improvements if they dont sort out the Responce times then alot of people including myself wont be happy, but if they can sort that out with 10% or whatever to go then it will be a amazing game. :))

As for manual passing, do u feel that player attributes still come in to play at all or is it strictly the direction you press on the controller + power? One of the problems with fifa already is player att's not mattering as much as they should does this not take away from it even further? I've always used a mix of semi auto and auto and that has been good for me so far

Attributes come in play but you obviously wont notice it much in normal short passing. Shots will never go exactly where you aim. Attributes, balance/position to the ball and curve will all be part of where the ball ends up. I personally can't believe that so few people use manual controls when we finally get this. And the same auto playing people are screaming for 360 degree movement... :DOH:

I think what I like is a slow paced simulation of football, rather than a ping-pong, pinball machine arcade version of football like PES, that to me is boring. I have had plenty of fast, dynamic, end to end matches in Fifa08. I think perhaps some people are just too used to overly fast arcade games and can't adjust to a more simulated experience, that's ok, not everyone is the same :)

Tbh I don't know why you keep referring to PES as an arcady game. Only because PES 2008 was stupidly wrong? PES was always the football simulation game mate. Thing is you keep saying "PES" instead of "PES 2008". You're generalizing by saying all PES games play a ping-pong arcade game of football :SS

Tbh I don't know why you keep referring to PES as an arcady game. Only because PES 2008 was stupidly wrong? PES was always the football simulation game mate. Thing is you keep saying "PES" instead of "PES 2008". You're generalizing by saying all PES games play a ping-pong arcade game of football :SS

Current gen does not exist for me, I have no interest in it anymore, therefore any comparisons I make between PES and Fifa are comparing the 360 versions of each.

Overall FIFA 09 sounds great so far right? well as EA do theirs a problem, I wasnt at all impressed with the Response times, It feels exactly the same as Euro and for me that just isnt good enough, you still struggle to pull of one touch passing moves like the Arse, you have to wait a split second before Scholes attempts to smash one in from the edge of the box, The game felt so good and i cant believe EA havnt addressed this!

Not good :| (Thanks for the review) :)

YES I HAVE PLAYED THE GAME TODAY AT I34!:DD

Yep folks today I played the game for the first time, I played the same build as Adam did and my opinion is pretty different to his. So without further to do let me get on with it :))

My first impression was wasnt that good as I started watching People play it and i didnt see much improvement and as Suff said and as I have seen from a lot of you it really is a totally different thing from watching and playing.

When i first got hold of the controller and the game started I felt the pace of the game to be perfect, they really have nailed it with the default speed IMO(Faster than 08/Slower than Euro). The second thing was the game felt VERY different to me compared to what i was watching before, The players and the ball have weight and when you recieve a pass or run with and try and turn etc this has IMO been improvement greatly. The other big improvement was the ball is ALOT more free, something which really stands out and makes the game feel less robotic and more like your watching a real match rather than the ball being glued to a players foot.

The Passing felt Improvement in certain situations but also felt like in some instances it had gone back, When you pass it can zip across the surface and you also "feel" it more when your player recieves it(adding to the weight). I was playing on "Semi" Passing and it didnt feel as accurate as 08 on "Semi", maybe this was just me as i have moved to Manual recently on 08(1 month) but there was a few situations where the pass went to the wrong player which can be very fustrating but this is something which wont be a problem for Manual players unless this means they have reduced the how free Semi and Manual are a tad bit.

The Shooting i feel was one of the big improvements for me, when you smack it it really is smacked IMO now, this is probably due to the weight being improved aswell, they have improved one on ones alot as it simply isnt as easy as it was before to just score but also it is now pretty much vital you shoot with "Finesse shot" when through on goal, Shooting as a whole is much harder even when there was a empty net you would need to steady yourself to tap it in otherwise there was a chance you would miss the target. I think i hit the post around 5 or 6 times when one on one which shows its become more difficult.
The Skill felt the same as 08 yet they have added more some new skill moves, it isnt as easy as Euro and pretty identical to 08 other than the new skill moves.

The Tackling has been improved massively from the games i played, You now in PES5 with "conservative tackle" you would need to poke at the right times now it feels like that which is good but "Slide tackling" stole the show on tacking as they are now just amazing (along with the collision system which it involves) they have them IMO spot on now. The collision system has already been hyped/praised so im not going to bother other than saying it really is that good.

The Ref can be slightly leniant or strict there didnt seem to be a consistent of one but there is no way you can hack someone down like 08 and not get a red.

The Goalkeepers IMO where along with Shooting and Tackling the biggest improvement, they were IMO perfectly balanced, they reacted properly to the situation, remember when Euro gameplay vids were coming out and Ronaldo had a shot from just outside the box and the Keeper caught it like it was a back pass? well from around 10 or 11 games I played that NEVER happenend and i wasnt pissed at the keeper once.

FIFA 09 so far is looking like a Great game but i think with all these improvements if they dont sort out the Responce times then alot of people including myself wont be happy, but if they can sort that out with 10% or whatever to go then it will be a amazing game. :))

Hitting the post loads of times, fucking finesse shots, average response (still).

I can see there are alot of improvements but these things stink of a very similar game to 08 and Euro.

i thought the response was supposed to be super fast.............obviously not.

If I can do one touch passing moves with Sheffield Wednesday in Fifa08 I am certain that people can do one touch passing moves with Arsenal players in Fifa09........

About the Alves video, Estadio De las Artes is looking as bad as ever (grass included), awful news for guys who support teams without official stadiums like me :|

:(

If I can do one touch passing moves with Sheffield Wednesday in Fifa08 I am certain that people can do one touch passing moves with Arsenal players in Fifa09........

You can to some degree but thats when you press "pass" before the ball has even reached the player so that he makes the command, instead if you press it when its about to reach him he takes a touch instead of hitting it first time.

Current gen does not exist for me, I have no interest in it anymore, therefore any comparisons I make between PES and Fifa are comparing the 360 versions of each.

Ah that's why. I still play current gen though because none of nextgen football titles have nailed it yet. Hopefully pes and fifa this year are good enough.

Looks like we're still having response issues though :(( That ruined it for me in FIFA 08.

You can to some degree but thats when you press "pass" before the ball has even reached the player so that he makes the command, instead if you press it when its about to reach him he takes a touch instead of hitting it first time.

Agree, that is what is so infuriating, your constantly having to predict what the players going to do before he's anywhere near it,evaluate the pitch and get your command in ,otherwise they take a touch and its all gone.When i press pass I expect pass regardless if its way before he rcvs it or whilst its at his feet.

Same goes for shooting.The guy above stated that you had to wait a second before scholes reacted to the command...........thats poor response...end of.

Err yes you choose the pass power and aim before the ball reaches the player, that's how 1 touch passing has to be on any game, do the pass before it reaches the player, not sure why that's a problem, if you do the pass too late he will of course try to control it :)

Porto v Newcastle was the last one I received, there may be more, no idea, I'm off to bed with Mrs. Mirror Maker to watch some TV ;)

Response times will be sorted for release ''surely''

I will find out for myself so soon!

placebo are you going to leipzig by any chance also ?

I'm not bothered at all with response times not being ultra fast, I really don't find them that tragic in Euro, it's the control responsiveness what I really found dreadful in Fifa.

Making reaction times super fast as someone asks would be the end of the simulation road for the game. They could be tweaked to be 10% -15% faster for good players, and remain slow for the low-skill players.

Take Top Spin as an example. The low speed is what makes simulation possible, because it gives time for the player to perform skillful movements and actions. More time required to perform something make your actions as a player more important and decisive. How could you recreate drive precision in tenis if reaction and action times were about miliseconds? Of course, sometimes players are just too slow on doing something, but I prefer them to be slow than to be too quick if I can choose.

To me that's the exact thing happeninh in football games. Pes has gone the Virtua Tennis road, you simply tap a button and the player can do almost anything. Most of the action is decided by the cpu taking factors into account. Your actions as a player are more restricted, hence the arcade feel to it. Top Spin remembers me Fifa a lot. Sometimes it's excruciating the slowliness of players, but when I make a good drive, a nice passing shot or a good lifted ball, I get a lot of satisfaction knowing it's me who made it.

I understand their reluctancy to change it too much and destroy the gameplay that prsumably hardcore players are liking to date.

What worries me about the videos is the ultra accuracy of passing in general, but specifically in unbalanced / blind situations. That's the kind of thing that would kill the game for me, if simply passing upwards the ball reaches your striker and then you can simply run. That's what totally messed up PES some years ago in my opinion. Passing has to be hard, and in difficult situations, almost impossible.

Worrying about shooting delay i thought last thing would be complaint about responsiveness seems improved alot to me in videos even over Euro.

But will all get to make our own minds up when demo comes out thanks for links Placebo good job. :))

Back
Top Bottom