FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Nothing has been mentioned about it, I fear that the answer is no, which is a shame because it's a shockingly simple thing to implement which would solve a lot of the complaints for a lot of the people.

Got a feeling your right Placebo tbh. O well, looks like its another season playing as a team that i dont support!.

Got a feeling your right Placebo tbh. O well, looks like its another season playing as a team that i dont support!.

At least you´re lucky enough to play in different opponent stadiums with Everton, by the looks of it i will have to play with Benfica in the Portuguese league with almost every team assigned to Las Artes :| I can't believe they didn't address this crap...

It really is a class game lads, I absolutely loved it, the only gripe i had was the response's being the same as the Euro's. and Offline this will be fine but Online it will be pretty similar to 08. :((
eh? i thought the responses on euro are alot better then fifa 08? many people here agree with the response of euro being far superior

They are, he's saying that once you factor in lag it then reduces the response times to a level similar to that of Fifa08's offline.

At least you´re lucky enough to play in different opponent stadiums with Everton, by the looks of it i will have to play with Benfica in the Portuguese league with almost every team assigned to Las Artes :| I can't believe they didn't address this crap...

Yeah, total crap that which makes it even more anoying that they couldnt change this simple thing. EA harp on about realism but think its ok for the majority of teams to play home and away matches in the same arena!.

I left the MM for 2 years now, because it's always the same. When I really want to make a career I 'll do that in FM. I just play some tournaments with my friends or BAP offline/online. I don't need that MM anymore, unless they improve it with things like you can choose the stadium like Nomis1 mentioned.

I never saw all this player individuality that people talk about in PES

Are you sure? I remember in ML i always had to pick players according to their stats. And they surely all were different from one another. Agility, speed, power, accuracy, skills, technique, stamina, balance, headers, etc all made a difference really.

In fifa i can't really tell the difference. Like many say they all feel the same. I'm pretty sure if fifa had this I'd be playing it. The only difference I could tell between players is speed and power really.

Yeah, total crap that which makes it even more anoying that they couldnt change this simple thing. EA harp on about realism but think its ok for the majority of teams to play home and away matches in the same arena!.

What´s the point in getting more European leagues then? Adding the best teams from minor leagues would be more than enough and they could save some time to apply on other things.

Are you sure? I remember in ML i always had to pick players according to their stats. And they surely all were different from one another. Agility, speed, power, accuracy, skills, technique, stamina, balance, headers, etc all made a difference really.

And in Fifa they all make a difference as well, perhaps not to the extent that they do in PES but it's still there. And it's something they're working on with each version I believe. We should see in Fifa09 that strength and size especially make a difference and that's a good step forward IMO.

What´s the point in getting more European leagues then? Adding the best teams from minor leagues would be more than enough and they could save some time to apply on other things.

At the very least, even if we can't choose which stadium we play in, they should let us name it ourselves, then each home game I'd see "Welcome to Hillsborough" sure it'd look nothing like the real thing but it'd be something :)

At the very least, even if we can't choose which stadium we play in, they should let us name it ourselves, then each home game I'd see "Welcome to Hillsborough" sure it'd look nothing like the real thing but it'd be something :)

It´s so easy to sort this, that´s why i don't get it.

In fifa i can't really tell the difference. Like many say they all feel the same. I'm pretty sure if fifa had this I'd be playing it. The only difference I could tell between players is speed and power really.

You last piece basically said why you pick certain players on PES

Speed
Shot Power
Strength
and Heading/Shooting Accuracy

People use Adriano for his strength and shot power
People used Babingida for his pace
and even Roberto Carlos up front because he had pace and shot power

So basically only a few stats mattered

Only thing is I could find ways to stop them even with a slow defender. In Fifa ronaldo, rooney, ibra or adriano would just fly past me pushing me away and couldn't do much.

yeah that was shit in Fifa 08

you could fly past people with the knock on thing whoever you was running with

great podcast over at FSB. Everybody should take the time to listen. Response times took a bit of a knocking but the "front end" of the game (graphics/animations etc) was quoted as being breathtaking and the best in not just a footie game but any game so far on next gen.

At some point in podcast, suff says "unfortunately, it felt like a fifa game"... i'm very disappointed.. looks like same old from ea

Well, I'm just going to buy it, it's still an awesome game. People will always find something to moan about.

Only thing is I could find ways to stop them even with a slow defender. In Fifa ronaldo, rooney, ibra or adriano would just fly past me pushing me away and couldn't do much.

yeah that was shit in Fifa 08

you could fly past people with the knock on thing whoever you was running with

Funny that, In 09 the game is clearly balanced to help defenders, after 3-4 matches i could easily tell how to stop Ronaldo or Torres Buldozerring through, Simply there can't now with the collision system and the tackling has been improved vastly so much better than Euro.

You last piece basically said why you pick certain players on PES

Speed
Shot Power
Strength
and Heading/Shooting Accuracy

People use Adriano for his strength and shot power
People used Babingida for his pace
and even Roberto Carlos up front because he had pace and shot power

So basically only a few stats mattered

Not true.

High Dribble speed stat would make the player move faster with the ball (I believe it was used to scale down in regard to movement without the ball, ie top speed and acceleration. So having 99 dribble speed would essentially mean the player could move as fast with the ball as without it). Very noticable impact.

Agility stat would make players like Ronaldo alot easier to move with. They would actually perform animations faster, so turning or changing direction was a word apart from a bad agility player.

Response stat. They could move in compliance with your stick/pad input alot faster. So defending and moving with a high response player could mean the difference between being dummied by an opponent, and being quick enough to react to get a foot in.

The agility and response stats were extremely valuable. People would usually stare blind on Top speed, Acceleration and dribble speed, but those stats only apply once the player actually starts moving according to your input. The other stats make a world of difference when it comes to making quick directional changes and such.

If you wanted to play a dribbling game, then there were 4 different stats that mattered (agility, response, acceleration and dribble speed). And all had a noticeable impact on a certain aspect of movements and such, and different phases of animations. There weren't just an overall "dribble" stat to differentiate players.

At some point in podcast, suff says "unfortunately, it felt like a fifa game"... i'm very disappointed.. looks like same old from ea

I'm happy to be able to choose from two different games, or to buy two different games.

FIFA feels and plays different from PES, but this doesn't mean PES plays better.

Same old...? Are you kidding ? EA has made a new enigine, not KONAMI !

Just try to get into FIFA's gameplay ! It's not easy (but it also took some time learning PES1), but once you've understood the game, you'll see what's missing in PES (and vice versa ;) )

The digs on response issues are a real blow for me:((

I just could not get into either of the last two editions due to this.To say its similar to Euro is not so good.

Its Ok to keep saying it looks breathtaking (which it does) but I was happy with FIFA 08 graphics, They have had a year to significantly improve the response and close the door on Konami.

Instead we have a new celebration mode, improved graphics and animation but very little on the single most important factor IMO.

like adam states over at WENB "if you could'nt get into 08 or Euro then you wont like this"

A missed opportunity for I feel, still probably decent fun though.

Like adam states over at WENB "if you could'nt get into 08 or Euro then you wont like this"

I think that everyone who is reading this topic and has been playing FIFA and Euro will be fine then ;))

Yeah at the same time he says that if you liked 08/euro you will love this.

Listened to the podcast, nice change when at work, and Adam was really, really positive imo. We have to remember that fifa and pes are going in two totally different directions with their games, so in a way its actually a positive thing about pes players wont be getting into fifa.

I was fine with the responsetimes of euro and 08 (although playing it again at the weekend made it all seem laboured), just wanted them to sharpen everything up really. I also think that people are glossing over the speed setting vs responsetimes that is also a factor. Like I mentioned earlier, the game has the responsetime of euro whilst playing a slower pace, so using the euro gamespeed would mean an increased responsetime when comparing euro08.

Although this can change very quickly in the later versions, euro08 demo was quite a bit faster then the retail, 08demo was quite a bit slower then retail. So if they get enough feeback that they need to dial it up a bit more its possible.

Last edited:

The digs on response issues are a real blow for me:((

I just could not get into either of the last two editions due to this.To say its similar to Euro is not so good.

Its Ok to keep saying it looks breathtaking (which it does) but I was happy with FIFA 08 graphics, They have had a year to significantly improve the response and close the door on Konami.

Instead we have a new celebration mode, improved graphics and animation but very little on the single most important factor IMO.

like adam states over at WENB "if you could'nt get into 08 or Euro then you wont like this"

Totally agree. I wasnt into 08 or Euro either. After the first 2 weeks, I put them away and havent touched them since.

Back
Top Bottom