Europa League 2012/13

Epic games by Basel and Benfica, although both Tottenham and Newcastle could have won the game.
This is why I like EL more than I like CL.

İ dont understand Basel, we speak everytime they have dont have good squad but they have good result EL last 10 years. Very important things.
How???

With Murat Yakin they changed coaches somewhere in december/january and since then they are absolutely stunning.
They had a well deserved qualification, if Spurs would have won the penalties, that would have been a travesty. I really like both Egyptians. Elneny (or something like that) narrowly missed a goal of the season, what a stunner that would have been.

Well done Basel...a team that can win it...

PS: i just knew Adebayor would miss, what an idiot. I liked him a lot with Arsenal because i didn't see him often, now i'm beginning to understand Arsenal fans. AVB:please sell this idiot.

Excellent matches await us, I think they will not be worse than the semi-finals of the Champions League. And good luck to Basel, we want more of sensations. :P

Chelsea reps just had to say. If they win they will hold both titles at the same time CL champs and Europa Champs :)

Chelsea reps just had to say. If they win they will hold both titles at the same time CL champs and Europa Champs :)
Yes, you are right, If they win in Final of the Europa League on 15 May, they will be a "The Unification Champions", and up until May 25, they be named "The Winners of UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League". It's a bit fun. :D

Last edited:
Must say I thought Benfica were a class act laying flowers at the Bobby Robson statue. Both games were played pretty much cleanly and they showed how great a team they are not only countering newcastle for their goals but being able to soak up the pressure and then strike so well. I'll be supporting them now through to the final.

You do realize what has happened before? That was with a weaker squad aswell.
What are you talking about? With all respect, compared to SL Benfica, Chelsea is a minor club. We are one of the biggest and best clubs in football history. Just for example, we have reached the CL final seven times until today.

You did not understand a single word on that post, he was talking about us beating you last year with a minor squad, that's it.

Ah one more thing: Benfica is bigger club yes, but that won't be for long ;)

Must say I thought Benfica were a class act laying flowers at the Bobby Robson statue. Both games were played pretty much cleanly and they showed how great a team they are not only countering newcastle for their goals but being able to soak up the pressure and then strike so well. I'll be supporting them now through to the final.

Thanks for your support! I thought it was an amazing tie, with boths legs being very interesting. I think Benfica deserved to go through but it could easily went the other way if you had a bit more luck in some moments. Anyway, I thought it was a very brave performance by Newcastle players, specially considering the season we are having so far. You were about to break our 36 match unbeaten strike.

About the comparisons being made... I think people will always have different opinions. Maybe Chelsea will grow bigger. Maybe it will struggle as Abramovich gets tired 'playing real life FM'. We'll see... For me,I hope Benfica will stay true to its foundation, and never let a rich man take over our club. It might be harder keeping competitive, but it has a different taste when you win..

You did not understand a single word on that post, he was talking about us beating you last year with a minor squad, that's it.

Ah one more thing: Benfica is bigger club yes, but that won't be for long ;)
Just dream... SL Benfica will always be bigger than Chelsea. Our history speaks for our selves.:RSCARF:

About the comparisons being made... I think people will always have different opinions. Maybe Chelsea will grow bigger. Maybe it will struggle as Abramovich gets tired 'playing real life FM'. We'll see... For me,I hope Benfica will stay true to its foundation, and never let a rich man take over our club. It might be harder keeping competitive, but it has a different taste when you win..

TBH i have nothing against Benfica, it's a great club and one of my favorite actually but the way he was talking made loose my cool, anyway only time will tell if I was right or no and good luck for the rest, hope to meet you in the final if we get ahead of Bale.

Last edited:
Well, actually, to be honest it's not quite the same. I won't start this kind of discussion, as I'll always be biased, Benfica is my club. But this isn't subjective, they're facts, no matter how modern football try to 'forget' their true football clubs:

- Benfica is not only Eusebio. Benfica was already european champion when he arrived... Benfica, unlike most of the teams now considered to be GREAT teams, had its share of success all through its history:

Benfica won the 'Champions League' in 60/61 and 61/62. But it also reached the final in 63/64, 64/65, 67/68, 87/88, 89/90.
Benfica never won the UEFA Cup, but reached its final in 82/83, making it 8 european finals and not many clubs can be proud of it.
Besides that we have reached the quarter finals another 13 times and the semi finals another 5 times. So its hardly a 'golden era' thing. Apart from the dark 90's (where we barely survived), Benfica was always a great club with important results, reaching european finals almost every decade (I'm not even talking about 32 league titles or 24 national cups).
Even recently, the worst Benfica achieved in europe the last 4 years was the QF (twice, CL and EL). For a small country like Portugal, I think it's quite good.

I truely understand Nando's feeling... He's obviously biased too, and now this is subjective, but I'll always find clubs like Benfica (and many others, some slightly forgotten by modern football) bigger than some money-made teams. Benfica was created from a group of orphans, had to struggle to survive, didn't had its own pitch to play until fans helped building one, lost its best players to Sporting (which had the money) and still became the team in Portugal with the biggest fan support, more titles, etc... and everything came from our fans (most club members in the world, over 250'000). As it still does...
I will always value that more than 'Ok, there's 300 Million Euros, let's play FM'.
But as I said, that's my opinion...

Good luck to Bale today they were fantastic last year in the CL and even tough they lost most of their stars this year (Shaqiri, the Xhakas and Abraham) they still manged to have a great European campaign this year and I do have a soft sport for their Egyptian duo (especially Salah), this going to be an awesome match (well, hopefully).

Wow, football can be a horrible game.

Luiz shouldn't have been on the pitch and then ends up scoring the winner.

Seriously hate this guy's guts, just a thug on the park. Needs his career ended with his own medicine.

Dirty bastard.

FD

benfica was horrible tonight indeed they tried to play everything in the air o.O rather on the ground where they would be much better

Was the normal football for Benfica? If they played Turkish league they just fight for first 5 not a championship.
Gaitan
Matic
Garay
They want to 30m€ per one player. hahaha ı am a laughing

Meet your first defeat Benfica..Don't wory, you are not alone, we did the same against Lazio..They have had 0 lost till we defeated them..

Back
Top Bottom