Europa League 2012/13

Easily the worst display this season so far for Benfica. I don't want to sound arrogant but I'm pretty confident that Benfica will bounce back at Lisbon and get thorough.

benfica was horrible tonight indeed they tried to play everything in the air o.O rather on the ground where they would be much better

Their pitch was too heavy as far as I've been told.

Last edited:
Congrats to Fenerbahçe... Benfica wasn't at its best but it's quite understandable. Benfica has a difficult match next monday that will, most likely, decide our league title this year. That's why Lima and Luisão started on the bench. After playing Sporting it's normal our team it isn't at its best physically. Fenerbahçe is a good team, the atmosphere at their stadium is always difficult...

Nevertheless, I'm confident we'll turn this result around next thursday.

elensar77, sorry man, but you have no idea what you're talking about. You know nothing about Benfica strength, or Matic/Garay/Gaitan value. I understand that you always want to see your rival lose, but Benfica, being 1st on the league, on the final of the national cup has to manage its effort. We know our team, our stadium, and we feel we can turn around this game in Lisbon, rather than risking everything tonight and maybe losing the league, which is far more important for us nowadays. Next thursday we'll talk.

elensar77, sorry man, but you have no idea what you're talking about. You know nothing about Benfica strength, or Matic/Garay/Gaitan value. I understand that you always want to see your rival lose, but Benfica, being 1st on the league, on the final of the national cup has to manage its effort. We know our team, our stadium, and we feel we can turn around this game in Lisbon, rather than risking everything tonight and maybe losing the league, which is far more important for us nowadays. Next thursday we'll talk.

I didint want to lose fenerbahçe. We watched yours Lisbon game and Fenerbahce game last 1 week. You are a worsth team last 4. Sorry man. I want to go thorough fenerbahçe

That's your opinion... Benfica is the worst, but won Basel's group last year on CL, and hasn't lost to them. Benfica leads it's league without any defeat, reached the cup final and, until now, was the only team who didn't lost in Europa League, beating Leverkusen (home & away), Bordeaux (home & away) and Newcastle (drawing away). We lost 3 matches this season. 1 of them against Barcelona, other one tonight. So... I honestly don't think we're as weak as you say.

We just have been playing games after games... considering Benfica hadn't Luisão, Enzo Perez and Lima from our starting eleven, I'm not TOO worried. Even though I understand it's perfectly possible Fenerbahçe getting to the final, as they have nice players, and lots of heart. We'll see ;)

Was the normal football for Benfica? If they played Turkish league they just fight for first 5 not a championship.
Gaitan
Matic
Garay
They want to 30m€ per one player. hahaha ı am a laughing
Don´t make yourself look stupid, we are giving priority to portuguese league and we have a decisive match next monday. Keep laughing till next thursday, after the game you will start crying.

That's your opinion... Benfica is the worst, but won Basel's group last year on CL, and hasn't lost to them. Benfica leads it's league without any defeat, reached the cup final and, until now, was the only team who didn't lost in Europa League, beating Leverkusen (home & away), Bordeaux (home & away) and Newcastle (drawing away). We lost 3 matches this season. 1 of them against Barcelona, other one tonight. So... I honestly don't think we're as weak as you say.

We just have been playing games after games... considering Benfica hadn't Luisão, Enzo Perez and Lima from our starting eleven, I'm not TOO worried. Even though I understand it's perfectly possible Fenerbahçe getting to the final, as they have nice players, and lots of heart. We'll see ;)

Thank you for the good answers. That was a not anger writing. We will see next week what gone a be happen. Good luck.

Don´t make yourself look stupid, we are giving priority to portuguese league and we have a decisive match next monday. Keep laughing till next thursday, after the game you will start crying.

It was not neccesery mesaage man only my thinks. We will see next game against Fenerbahce.
I watched last 3 game (newcastle-lisbon-fener) and as i sad i didint like your game. You want to play long balls and want to opportunity from Cardozo or Lima. I think you mus try pass and pass.

And last one, yours player want to do skills every time. Why?

It was not neccesery mesaage man only my thinks. We will see next game against Fenerbahce.
I watched last 3 game (newcastle-lisbon-fener) and as i sad i didint like your game. You want to play long balls and want to opportunity from Cardozo or Lima. I think you mus try pass and pass.

And last one, yours player want to do skills every time. Why?

That 3 games was the 3 worst games of Benfica this season ;)
Benfica have better players so they try to make all by their own :(

We will win 3-1 in Stadium of Light :BOP:

before the game, I was expecting Benfica to beat Fener quite comfortably, but just ten minutes after the first whistle I've found myself simply astonished by Fener's performance and the amazing support of fans (that was probably the best fan support in a CL/EL game I've seen this year). I've never been a fan of them but last night Fenerbahçe made me very, very proud. such a shame that they narrowly missed getting a much better result.

on the other hand, I've the utmost respect for Benfica, I like Portuguese teams and their approach to the game a lot but honestly, Benfica disappointed me very much against Fener. they were simply outplayed and made themselves look like a usual Turkish league side with those nonsense long ball strategy throughout the game. even Fener looked like more 'Portuguese' than Benfica :P joke aside, as a football fan, I was really sorry for not seeing any glimpse of that lovely attacking football Benfica have played for many years. I never feel bitter when a European team beat a Turkish side by playing attractive football.

for the return leg, with players like Luisao, Gaitan, Perez and Lima joining back the team, and being in front of their crowd, Benfica look to be the certain favorite to advance to the final. but it is Fenerbahçe and they are the most surprising team of this season for me. actually, let alone making it to the semis, I had never expected them to advance from the group stage. :D so anything can happen guys, let's see.

I always rated Fenerbahçe as a difficult team, and knowing how much importance has the home effect nowadays in european competitions, I knew this was never going to be an easy tie. Fenerbahçe was playing its first european semi final ever, so that was an extra motivation for them, and the support was huge. As the turkish are known for... Too bad there are some that ruin that support by 'invanding' Benfica's social websites (as facebook) offending us for no reason. But I understand that must be a minority...

Benfica always approaches away matches this way...I think it's a portuguese mentality thing. If we need to get a result, we'll be all over the pitch, not affraid (as Benfica last season on Stamford Bridge with tons of bench players, no CB's and playing with 10 from the 40th minute), but if we play on expectation, usually that's the way we show our football. Anyway, I think the second leg will be quite interesting, watch it because you'll probably see real Benfica with its sexy football and Fenerbahçe putting all their hearts and soul for the result and their first final ever. I'm confident, but as Gonalois, I think Fenerbahçe will score too.
Just hope we win next monday, that can be decisive even for this tie.

We know Benfica's quality , and i think 2nd match so diffuclt for us because Topal , Meireles and Webo didn't play this match . I hope we will win and reach to final .

Well, I still prefer Matic's goal against FC Porto:

I never see any benfica match or portugese league but this goals are really amazing , does Benfica play offten this kind of fast passes ?

whatever im supporting turkish team for EL and hope they reach final and win it

I'm loving it so far. It's being a very intense game (although Benfica has dominated Fener for the most part in the first half). Fans are great, the atmosphere is great, the officiating is very good, so everything is just fine. I've been watching every EL game of Fener this season and I'm almost shocked everytime because they get some support (most of the time, rightly) from refs too (I'm surprised because they are probably the team that Uefa hate the most right now). I think Sow was off-side before the incident but that was an absolutely blatant handball from Garay (that was also very stupid imho). Atm, Fener lost all of their holding midfielders, so they are left with three attacking midfielders filling that void. May God help them, as Benfica attackers are looking very ruthless so far. :LOL:

Poor Gönül, what he did was pretty damn heroic diving in like that, hope it's nothing too serious.

Was the normal football for Benfica? If they played Turkish league they just fight for first 5 not a championship.
Gaitan
Matic
Garay
They want to 30m€ per one player. hahaha ı am a laughing
I know you are already crying, but i´ve warned you about our magic football. Btw, fenerbahce´s football are
ridiculus, really poor team. Good bye.:BYE:

Last edited:
Both stadiums atmosphere were fantastic.
Totally deserved Final for Benfica though.

Hey guys, please, be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. We should all be over the moon but there's no need to mock our opponent.

Carrega Benfica!

reports say that Gökhan Gönül's pretty much okay right now.

congrats to Benfica fans. the victory is deservingly yours. :APPLAUD:

As fans, your support was brilliant all night but as for your team, I must also say that I'm quite irritated by the way Benfica played late in the game. It was quite an entertaining game until it's 3-1(66') and straight after that there was no football whatsoever for more than 20 minutes. imo this Benfica side was absolutely more than capable of beating Fener with scores like 5-1, 6-1 tonight but instead, they'd chosen constant time wasting and killed the game. I hate this mentality and it was a real shame to see it from a very good team like Benfica. I'm sorry but I'm no fan of this team against Chelsea in the final.

Last edited:
I know you are already crying, but i´ve warned you about our magic football. Btw, fenerbahce´s football are
ridiculus, really poor team. Good bye.:BYE:

Cong man. It was a first time my life. I hate Fenerbahce but I didnt understand myself.

First game poor Benfica, this game poor Fener.
But yes, you right Benfica played very impressive football.

Good luck in final.

reports say that Gökhan Gönül's pretty much okay right now.

Good to hear, was afraid he might have a concussion or something.

Great match from Benfica toady really glad to meet you guys in the final, i hope my Idol is going to be a starter on that game :)

Back
Top Bottom